Trevor Lewis & Kyle Okposo

GSK*

They're both drafted 1st round 2006, both play in the USHL Des-Moines Buccaneers last year. Okposo was drafting 7th overall and 17th overall for Lewis.

Lewis was centering Okposo who's playing Right Wing. They're both Americans and last draft a lot of Americans youngs talent was drafted, and that will be good for hockey in United States.

I was wondering, Lewis put 35-40-75 in 56 games, Okposo did 27-31-58 in 50 games. Okposo is younger then Lewis, but if you was drafting in fantasy, wich player you'll take ?

11 of 17th first player are "Center". That was a depth draft for Center and I would know, now did you would take Lewis ahead a couple center who's draft before him. Or may be draft him before Okposo ?, I mean i think Lewis is more like the 6-7 better center of that group and not the 11th one.

I know he's not considerate like got the better offensive skillz if that bunch, but he's one of the faster-acceleration in the selection for center, faster then his teamate Okposo, he also got a great puck control. They both play average well defensilvly they were both on PK in USHL.

On the other side, Okposo is more stronger and work well in corner and edge of the ice. If Lewis is fast and got a nice puck control, Okposo got an amazing stickhandling and better offensive skillz. He's responsable in is own zone...

I'll go with Okposo, but I'm very high on Lewis, and I think he would be a nice wildcard in the first round.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
My friend...If you have to draft upside, you take Okposo first. Why? Foot speed, shot, physical composure and is work ethic. Lewis will be good, but he's gonna be good for second line duty (Okposo reminds me a young Guerin or Iginla) so the upside is there for first kine duty (Okposo). Lewis was supposed to be drafted in the second round, but he's a good pick between 14-20th overall. After Little, you have to consider him.

NYYmt62

Aug 26, 2005
Islander Country
My friend...If you have to draft upside, you take Okposo first. Why? Foot speed, shot, physical composure and is work ethic. Lewis will be good, but he's gonna be good for second line duty (Okposo reminds me a young Guerin or Iginla) so the upside is there for first kine duty (Okposo). Lewis was supposed to be drafted in the second round, but he's a good pick between 14-20th overall. After Little, you have to consider him.

I agree with you. Okposo is a kid with some serious potential. He is such an explosive player and is very fun to watch. He is incredibly strong for a eighteen year old kid. His upside is way higher than that of Lewis. I like your Iginla comparision, though I am not sure if that is where he will end up. But he certainly has a very nice skill set, and I am excited to see him play some games. I was somewhat skeptical when the Isles drafted him #7, but after seeing some more of him- I am very happy with the pick and can see what Feltrin was thinking when he picked him. Trevor Lewis is a good player, but he is not anywhere near as good as Okposo.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
So that would be the reason that Lewis got the league MVP, and not Okposo? I've read, that Lewis was the better player most nights.

What would have Okposo done in the USHL if he had an extra year of age and playing experience like Lewis had? By year's end, Okposo was the dominant force on Des Moines and he was the biggest reason why they won their league championship.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
yeah right. that's why the scout's who came to look at okposo came back thinking about lewis:dunno:

X-SHARKIE

I would take Oksposo myself...but I think Trevor Lewis is missunderstood. His offensive game is better than given credit for, he's a very good skater with quite the shot himself....and on the other hand his defensive game is overrated and he's nowhere near the next Rod Brind'Amour as some say.

Lewis is really blossuming and looks to be a classic late bloomer - I saw him at Prospects in Toronto and he absolutely ate up all the competition and had close to 10 goals I think?

Both are very good players.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
yeah right. that's why the scout's who came to look at okposo came back thinking about lewis:dunno:

That comment was also made by scouts early in the year when Okposo was just getting his feet wet in the USHL. By the end of the yeaR, everybody came away knowing who the better player was.

GSK*

That comment was also made by scouts early in the year when Okposo was just getting his feet wet in the USHL. By the end of the yeaR, everybody came away knowing who the better player was.

I think you're partial wrong. Yeah he's the guys who got the more "upside" then Lewis, more potiental to reach, but that was not everybody who's was thinking that, Lewis was getting MVP. They're both good, Okposo good more upside then Lewis, Lewis is a little bit under estimated in specififc for his offensive skillz, not bad at all they think.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Lewis was getting MVP.

Do you know who won the playoff MVP?

By the end of the year, when Okposo had a little bit of experience and confidence behind him he was the dominant force that brought Des Moines the championship. Okposo is a full year younger, that's a huge difference at this stage and that's why every decent scout in the world would take Okposo ahead of Lewis.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
So that would be the reason that Lewis got the league MVP, and not Okposo? I've read, that Lewis was the better player most nights.

So that would be the reason Okposo won the playoff MVP? I've read that Okposo was the better player most nights when it counted.

Both won an MVP award. That doesn't really say who is or will be better. But the fact that Okposo is clearly on level with Lewis despite being over a year younger, in my mind (and clearly the mind of most scouts, as it was more or less consensus that Okposo would and should be picked well ahead of Lewis) makes him the better choice.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
As a 17 yo in the USHL:

Trevor Lewis 52 games, 10 goals, 12 assists, 22 points
Kyle Okposo 50 games, 27 goals, 31 assists, 58 points

Last edited:

GSK*

As a 17 yo in the USHL:

Trevor Lewis 52 games, 12 goals, 10 assists, 22 points
Kyle Okposo 50 games, 27 goals, 31 assists, 58 points

I got 10 goals and 12 assists for Lewis rookie year, you just inverse the two.

Yeah, I agree, better for Okposo first year, and I admit, like in the first post, I would pick up Okposo before Lewis ( I'm very high on Lewis. ), but Okposo get better stats first year, play with Lewis have help him for his first year. If we back in the Lewis rookie year in the USHL, Lewis was not the guy with the most ice-time, Chad Rau was centering before him, a lot of foward was ahead him, He was not on the top 6 winger. AND don't think I considerer like Lewis make Okposo good... No way, Okposo is more skilled, Lewis is very fast and got good offensive skillz. Okposo with good positionning was good in PK, both him and Lewis played PK.

If the first year Lewis goes into the USHL, if he was having a good winger like Okposo and play more 2-first line time, he was getting more point then 22. May be 35 .

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
There's the nail in the coffin!!!:razz:

If I would have known that, I'd have said it in the first post!

If the first year Lewis goes into the USHL, if he was having a good winger like Okposo and play more 2-first line time, he was getting more point then 22. May be 35 .

Possibly...but you could make the case that Lewis may have had significantly fewer points without Okposo his second year resulting in less than an MPV performance. Even so, like everyone else here I feel that here that both prospects are excellent.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
As a 17 year old, being center by Lewis. Did Lewis make Okposo's stats better? Could've.

Absolutely could have (which is why the comparison was only meant as an fyi). It works both ways though as I mentioned above. Lewis' stats this year could've been aided by Okposo.

Can't speak to the magnitude of Lewis' injuries as a 17 yo...but he appeared to play in most games.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
everyone should know that lewis is a late bloomer. he has developed very much from 04/05 to 05/06. i think lewis is a much more safe pick then okposo. okposo may have a better upside, but players dont allways reach their potential. lewis will probably be a very good 2 way center on the second line. and okposo can be anything from a grinder on the fourth line to an amazing power forward on the first line. based on potential i would take okposo for sure. but i think he has small chanse of becoming a bust. and lewis has none IMO. (i'm also very high on lewis).

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Then why did they say that at the draft? I don't remember them saying that it was only at the beginning of the year...:dunno:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Then why did they say that at the draft? I don't remember them saying that it was only at the beginning of the year...:dunno:

Think about it logically. Lewis was in the top 15 for ISS for a good portion of the year. Most of it in fact. Even around here by the mid point in the season most people were familiar with him and recognized him as likely to go in if not the first round the early 2nd. If it wasn't early in the season when scouts were saying this, there's very little likelyhood that any professional scout had not already heard about Lewis and therefore would not be scouting the Bucs just to see Okposo. Anytime other than early in the year, Lewis was established as a top prospect and any good scout working the area would be looking to scout him.

I'm not saying that towards the end of the season there weren't scouts that preferred Lewis over Okposo, as I would imagine some did, but merely that there's little likelyhood that by that point they weren't already aware and interested in scouting Lewis also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad