Trevor Daley... 3 years $3.17M a year

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
We are in a thread about Holland signing another 30+ player to a multi year deal while he has also offered another winger a half decade long contract at five million per year.

Look at all that change!!!!!!

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Whether I LIKE the strategy or not, the data suggests that they were near the bottom of the league in all sorts of areas, including the standings. So yes, I can objectively call them a bad team, because going 33-36-13, with only 24 wins in either regulation or overtime, having a goal differential of -37, and lousy possession numbers across the board...

...means they're a bad team.

Enh. When you have a goalie putting up the third worst season in the NHL it's going to have an impact on a lot of the rest of those alleged indicators. Non-Howard goalies had a +3 GAA and a sub .900 save % last year, and they played in 64 games. In March and April, post injury, Howard had a 2.33 and a .916... so it's not like the team was causing the other goalies to suck.

With competent NHL goaltending the wins go up, the record gets better, and the goal differential comes down.

To head off the obvious misinterpretation at the pass, none of that means Detroit was amazing, just that there's plenty there to indicate they're decent as long as the most important position on the ice isn't a nightmare. As long as they don't have extraordinarily bad luck, they'll be in the low 88-93 range next year. With good luck, better. With bad luck, worse.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Enh. When you have a goalie putting up the third worst season in the NHL it's going to have an impact on a lot of the rest of those alleged indicators. Non-Howard goalies had a +3 GAA and a sub .900 save % last year, and they played in 64 games. In March and April, post injury, Howard had a 2.33 and a .916... so it's not like the team was causing the other goalies to suck.

With competent NHL goaltending the wins go up, the record gets better, and the goal differential comes down.

To head off the obvious misinterpretation at the pass, none of that means Detroit was amazing, just that there's plenty there to indicate they're decent as long as the most important position on the ice isn't a nightmare. As long as they don't have extraordinarily bad luck, they'll be in the low 88-93 range next year. With good luck, better. With bad luck, worse.

That's not "decent". That just means you're a cap team. Literally the only teams that aren't decent by your metric are teams either deliberately tanking or teams that were also very unlucky work goaltending, injuries, etc.

When you set the bar so very low, no wonder you think you're the voice of reason among us spoiled brats.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
That's not "decent". That just means you're a cap team. Literally the only teams that aren't decent by your metric are teams either deliberately tanking or teams that were also very unlucky work goaltending, injuries, etc.

When you set the bar so very low, no wonder you think you're the voice of reason among us spoiled brats.

That's not far off the truth to be honest. On paper, the Wings were a boring team with no identity that could realistically squeak into the PO and were projected to either do that or miss by a small margin. If that were the bar for decency, then they were expected to be decent ... ish. Personally, I would've still considered them a bad team even if they'd somehow made it, just like they did the year before when goal tending was a strength.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If you think this minor nuance is indicative of change in Ken Holland's 5+ years behavior, then all the power to you, my man.

My only indicative is what Ken Holland himself said on an radio interview.

Red Wings operating policy changed 18 months ago. They are not gonna sell futures anymore.

It would help if you would have one minute to listen those things, instead of whining about the past.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
My only indicative is what Ken Holland himself said on an radio interview.

Red Wings operating policy changed 18 months ago. They are not gonna sell futures anymore.

It would help if you would have one minute to listen those things, instead of whining about the past.

It's been less than 18 months since we traded down in the first round to move Datsyuk.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's been less than 18 months since we traded down in the first round to move Datsyuk.

Yeah... we moved down four picks and got a 2nd rounder... who has basically turned himself into one of our best prospects.

We had MORE young assets after the Datsyuk cap-clearing trade than before it.

I know people get their panties in a bunch about missing out on Chychrun and Fabbro, but if the Wings don't make that trade... they probably don't get Filip Hronek. And I want to see what Dennis Cholowski is like when he doesn't look like a middle schooler in a couple years before I jump up and down screaming that we should have taken this guy who is likely a top 4D instead of this other guy who is likely a top 4D.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Am I the only one that likes this signing?

Okay, perhaps like is too strong of a word but I really don't have as big of a problem with it as some do and the only real issue is his age.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Okay, perhaps like is too strong of a word but I really don't have as big of a problem with it as some do and the only real issue is his age.

I think he's a fine signing. Nothing to really pin all the hope on, but a good signing during these dark days of DRWs.

I'll take what I can get. I enjoy watching hockey, and enjoy it even more when they compete.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Daley performs. Green fought to the bitter end last year, and emerged as a leader. I think he has the keys to the number 1 role, and I think that bodes well for Daley taking over the #3 role.

Both guys are playing in Detroit because Detroit offered them the biggest roles, and they both have something to prove regarding that.
Both guys have continued to improve defensively as they've aged, and are great skaters with good offensive instincts.

Having some consistency in the level of play, and the play style of our top 4 could lead to positive developments such as, the actual ability to forecheck and the ability to regroup and sustain some pressure.

I think it'd make for a really fun year if Green and Daley could manage to have career years.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Less expectations can be more exciting.

You guys are so annoying with this misquote all the time.

It's still a horrible thing to say to the fans.

"Don't have expectations for cups, and you will have more fun!"

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's still a horrible thing to say to the fans.

"Don't have expectations for cups, and you will have more fun!"

He's saying going into the playoffs expecting a cup is setting yourself up for disappointment.
It's not a horrible thing to say at all, mountains out of mole hills. If you hope to make it past the second round rather than expect make the finals when you lose game seven of the conference finals you'll be disappointed but appreciate the run a whole lot more.

But no, less is more is a regurgitated line used by many to say Kenny thinks less success is better.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

I like it because we got him at a fair price.

He won't be in Detroit past the trade deadline.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
He's saying going into the playoffs expecting a cup is setting yourself up for disappointment.
It's not a horrible thing to say at all, mountains out of mole hills. If you hope to make it past the second round rather than expect make the finals when you lose game seven of the conference finals you'll be disappointed but appreciate the run a whole lot more.

But no, less is more is a regurgitated line used by many to say Kenny thinks less success is better.
He literally said if you expect cups you are in the wrong league. That should never be uttered by a GM of a big market team. Ever.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I don't expect to win championships in any league with teams I follow.

You understand the general statement is rather for us as fans to lower our expectations rather than Ken Holland make any kind of effort to make the team a cup contender again, right? I am not expecting a cup every season (certainly not with this team), but I am expecting the team's management to make moves that would facilitate another championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->