Trevor Daley... 3 years $3.17M a year

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Thank god it isn't 4 years... I can sort of stomach 3... now for the money

Eh, would have preferred we signed no one to more than 1 year but understand the decision with Kronner likely a depth player at best. Just no NMC/NTC please. :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Ansar Khan†@AnsarKhanMLive 29s30 seconds ago
More
@RealKyper of @Sportsnet saying Trevor Daley will get a little over $9 million for three years with #RedWings

3 mil a year is not bad

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Lol 3 years the start of the bad contract. Here comes 5 mil (guess not looks like 3)

Will only be good if we trade Ericsson or buy him out. Whatever it takes

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
3-years is a good fit for our prospects time-line on left side.

Good. Free asset.

Now trade another asset later on this season for picks, so the rebuilding goes on.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Bob MacKenzie just said the same thing on TSN right now.

3 years. Yikes.

Gotta admit, I've always liked Daley and wanted him in Detroit... but this might not be the best time for him to arrive.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Have a feeling that Kronwall is done and probably goes on LTIR for his last 2 years, Or else why sign Daley. I can live with Daley on a 3 year deal as long as the AAV is reasonable. No more then $3 million per.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Have a feeling that Kronwall is done and probably goes on LTIR for his last 2 years, Or else why sign Daley. I can live with Daley on a 3 year deal as long as the AAV is reasonable. No more then $3 million per.

Most important thing IMO is he isn't given a NMC/NTC. He's a decent player and you can get good value via trade, particularly with 2 Cups on his resume.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

If kronwall is gone that's fine. Otherwise no reason to sign him

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Really not that bad of a deal if it's 3x3.1. Supposedly both Boston and Montreal were gunning for him too. Considering both Green and Nielsen also had multiple offers and came here I really think the mystique of the red wings really isn't dead entirely. Probably not a place players take discounts too, but probably still top half as a location

Rather we just do scorched earth but if Holland seriously thinks this is the way to go this could have turned out worse.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Most of our defensive is terribly defensive and can't move the puck either so still improves us.

To put it this way I think Daley is better than Brendan Smith over the course of the season

I doubt it, Brendan Smith is a lot better defensively than Daley.

I know people hate him here but there is a lot of false narrative on Smith in these parts. He is one of the better shot suppressors in the league. He is an advanced stats darling, his offense just never came and I am glad for him that he has another chance. New York fans sure like him, because they haven't decided they all hate him in mass.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
better than 4 years I guess. but still don't like the thought of adding more long term veteran contracts to this team

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site

I know people hate him here but there is a lot of false narrative on Smith in these parts. He is one of the better shot suppressors in the league. He is an advanced stats darling, his offense just never came and I am glad for him that he has another chance. New York fans sure like him, because they haven't decided they all hate him in mass.
I think it comes down to where he was drafted (as a first rounder) and that he never lived up to his potential as an offensive defenseman. He isn't a slick puck moving top pair guy we hoped/expected him to be, so he kind of got labeled as a "bust", even though he is a solid NHL defenseman now.

I like him, he has good size, skates well and is pretty physical. I also thought Holland did pretty good with the return in trading him. I'm not really sad they moved on from him, and getting Daley isn't super exciting or anything, but they need to bridge the gap until guys like Hicketts, Saarijarvi, Hronek, Cholowski, etc... are ready (if ever...). I'm not exactly sold on guys like Jensen, Ouellet, Sproul, Russo, etc... being long term good top 4 defensemen in this team...

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Yeah he is. But he gives it away soooo much more it's embarassing

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

His advanced stats are based on easy matchups. Time to get over it. Also his advanced stats won't transfer for goals, just weak shots all the time for offensive.zone faceoff.

Daley at 3.1M >>>>> Smith at 4.35M

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it comes down to where he was drafted (as a first rounder) and that he never lived up to his potential as an offensive defenseman. He isn't a slick puck moving top pair guy we hoped/expected him to be, so he kind of got labeled as a "bust", even though he is a solid NHL defenseman now.

I like him, he has good size, skates well and is pretty physical. I also thought Holland did pretty good with the return in trading him. I'm not really sad they moved on from him, and getting Daley isn't super exciting or anything, but they need to bridge the gap until guys like Hicketts, Saarijarvi, Hronek, Cholowski, etc... are ready (if ever...). I'm not exactly sold on guys like Jensen, Ouellet, Sproul, Russo, etc... being long term good top 4 defensemen in this team...

It was very much time to part ways. I think we did a good job turning him into a decent D-man the problem was we should have taken the best of those Badger D and let him play his game. Oh well water under the bridge at this point. I will root for him with the Rangers, just when people take runs at him that are inaccurate I am still going to defend him, I always will at this point. I don't see what the rest of you did there and that much has been clear for a while. I think the fresh start is really good for him.

Daley is a nice bridge. I have no problem with this deal. He provides some puck movement and a vet to lean on in the lineup. I don't think he changes our direction one iota, we are bottom five team in the league without big time goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad