trent hunter aside, who's this seasons next best rookie forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Pens4ever said:
So what you're saying is that if the Wings acquired Malone right now, he would be sent to the AHL? I don't see that happening.

If he got traded for a roster player then no, but if they acquired him for nothing, he wouldn't displace anyone on the healthy roster. A guy like Thomas brings veteran experience and leadership in addition to skill, and so he's certainly not going to be moved for a rookie. Holmstrom does things practically no other player in the league will. The grind line is untouchable. You could argue on Ray Whitney, but again he's proven more and is paid too much to sit for any rookie outside of someone at the Kovalchuk/Heatley level.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Epsilon said:
If he got traded for a roster player then no, but if they acquired him for nothing, he wouldn't displace anyone on the healthy roster. A guy like Thomas brings veteran experience and leadership in addition to skill, and so he's certainly not going to be moved for a rookie. Holmstrom does things practically no other player in the league will. The grind line is untouchable. You could argue on Ray Whitney, but again he's proven more and is paid too much to sit for any rookie outside of someone at the Kovalchuk/Heatley level.

Given that if they did aquire him right now he would have to clear waivers to be sent down, I dont see either of them happening.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree with it obviously.
At any rate, like I said, it is all subjective, but IMO, Malone would play on the Red Wings if fully healthy.

And yeah guys, that WAS one helluva goal he scored today. At first I didnt even see it go in. Great hand eye coordination to bat it out of the air.
2 Assists as well puts him ahead of Patrice Bergeron is the scoring race for third.

Is Bergeron injured or something? He isnt scoring at the rate he was earlier in the season.
Bruins fans, what is going on with him?

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Anyone still saying Malone isn't the best rookie forward needs to be hit with a blunt object.

The kid is unfreaking believable...

I don't know about the "best", my problem is that he is rarely even MENTIONED in the Calder talk.
I would however say he is at least even with Hunter, Bergeron and Ryder. Maybe slightly better or worse give or take, depending on the player.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Anyone still saying Malone isn't the best rookie forward needs to be hit with a blunt object.

The kid is unfreaking believable...

I agree that Malone has been terrific but he's not the only one. It's definitely not clear cut.

I'm most familiar with Trent Hunter but I've watched Malone a lot. Hunter has been bothered for 2 weeks after a knee on knee hit. Prior to that he was unbelievable. Scoring all the right goals at all the right times, creating offence with struggling linemates, playing better defence than Mike Peca and hitting more than any other Islander. He can't be counted out of ROY honours and in my opinion has been more proficient than Malone. No knock against Ryan, or Michael Ryder, they're amazing players too and they are all having one helluva year.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Don_Cherry said:
I agree that Malone has been terrific but he's not the only one. It's definitely not clear cut.

I'm most familiar with Trent Hunter but I've watched Malone a lot. Hunter has been bothered for 2 weeks after a knee on knee hit. Prior to that he was unbelievable. Scoring all the right goals at all the right times, creating offence with struggling linemates, playing better defence than Mike Peca and hitting more than any other Islander. He can't be counted out of ROY honours and in my opinion has been more proficient than Malone. No knock against Ryan, or Michael Ryder, they're amazing players too and they are all having one helluva year.

Good post.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:
Malone wouldn't make the Red Wings' roster at this point. Don't know if he would make Colorado's healthy roster either, or Ottawa's, but fans of those teams probably would have a better idea.
Really, what does it matter? Trent Hunter probably wouldn't have made the Wings roster either. Same with Raycroft and Ryder.

That's the beauty of having a wide-open training camp.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jacobv2 said:
Really, what does it matter? Trent Hunter probably wouldn't have made the Wings roster either. Same with Raycroft and Ryder.

That's the beauty of having a wide-open training camp.

Not to mention no one with their head on strait would have predicted he would have made the Penguins roster outta camp.

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
Bergeron has a sprained shoulder. he is expected out for another 2 weeks.

How come nobody has mentioned Joffrey Lupul?

I think it's a great rookie class this year and well undoubtedly some will turn out to be one hit wonders I think the future of the league is in good hands (once they get that whole CBA thing worked out of course).

Gustom Slayer

Mar 10, 2004
My pick has to be Bergeron.

He's a good skater, has great vision, great instincts, and if you're lucky enough to see him play for the whole season, you'll see he plays with a bit of an edge. He's a lot of fun to watch. My only beef with Patrice is that his wrist shot seems a little weak. But then again, he's only 18. Hopefully he'll pick it up a bit off-season.

1. Bergeron
2. Malone
3. Staal
4. Ryder
5. Hunter

I'm just not that crazy about Hunter for some reason. I haven't seen him play too much, I guess.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
highstickingyerface said:
How come nobody has mentioned Joffrey Lupul?

In a weaker class he may be a low candidate, but honestly Lupul is barely in my top 10 for rookie forwards this season. He's had a nice season, but hasn't had nearly the impact that Malone or Hunter have had to their teams.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Probably Tuomo Ruutu. Malone does have more points now, but Ruutu has 13 points in his last 9 games and 29 points in his last 33. if he had been playing this way all year, he'd be running away with the calder

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Teemu08 said:
Probably Tuomo Ruutu. Malone does have more points now, but Ruutu has 13 points in his last 9 games and 29 points in his last 33. if he had been playing this way all year, he'd be running away with the calder

But he didn't.
BTW, Malone has very near that(if not equal) since the all star star break as well.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
stardog said:
But he didn't.
BTW, Malone has very near that(if not equal) since the all star star break as well.

Ruutu is playing in his first season in North America, is three years younger than Malone, and comign off major knee surgery.

Ruutu, hands down.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Chelios said:
Ruutu is playing in his first season in North America, is three years younger than Malone, and comign off major knee surgery.

Ruutu, hands down.

Certainly if it were to be hands down, then why bother voting at all?

Special Ed

Oct 9, 2002
C'ville PA
Visit site
Teemu08 said:

And IF Tie Domi scored 200 points this season, he'd be running away with the Hart trophy. :teach:

The Calder is a season long award... not a half-a-season award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->