Treliving

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Treliving has done an admirable job making this team respectable again. But if he hitches his cart to GG then he should probably go. It's clear GG is not the answer here.
I agree. I’m also a bit concerned, much like Sutter, Treliving is starting to fall in love with his creation. When your forward core has 5 players with over 30 points and one of them is Ferland....there’s all kinds of room for improvement

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I agree. I’m also a bit concerned, much like Sutter, Treliving is starting to fall in love with his creation. When your forward core has 5 players with over 30 points and one of them is Ferland....there’s all kinds of room for improvement
Agreed. I'm fine with being locked into Monahan and Gaudreau but good teams don't get better magically but keeping the status quo.

This isn't me saying let's try and trade Ferland but if the right offer comes along for an upgrade, Treliving should be looking into it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If the team traded Brouwer for Okposo. Signed Kane, and then dealt Ferland and Fox for JT Miller, we would probably win the Cup next season.

Providing we fire Gully.

Razzdazzle1

Apr 25, 2017
When it's Do Or Die and Gulutzen still refuses to change Goalies for a momentum boost... and then decides the best strategy is to goes empty net with over 6min left in the game... It's time to face the music. This guy isn't NHL calibre.

This is Dallas Eakins & Craig McTavish coaching level. FML if he's back again next year.

Reactions: Cyrano

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes, it will make a difference to the Flames brass. Please stop telling yourself that. If the Islanders by some luck win the draft lottery and draft Dahlin it will make a hell of a difference and most likely will lead to Treliving being fired. Treliving made a horrible deal in trading a non-lottery protected first for Hamonic and if anything should have used that first to trade for a right-handed top-six forward instead. The Flames area of weakness was never their D-core.

No, I really don't think Flames brass got to their position by being childish (aka not thinking rationally about probabilities) and emotional. Just because it's important to you, doesn't make it important to the people doing business.

At the time the trade was made, the Flames were basically looking at Stone as the 4D for the entire season, which based on his play last year would've been tenuous, but doable. They chose to make it an area of strength, instead of mediocre (and a liability if injuries hit). It's definitely solidified the defence with respect to previous seasons.

I really believe that the Flames are where they are in spite of the trade, not because of it in any way. Look at what has hurt the Flames this year: poor special teams, poor depth scoring and forwards who stop skating when things don't go their way. None of these are Hamonic-related. Whether the Flames need a new coach or just need to hit the reset button over the summer, Hamonic can definitely be part of the contending team we're trying to build.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
AS is right. From about 30 games on, Hamonic has played like a top 3 dman, he’s been better than Brodie overall this season or at least a more important part to the team IMO. Brodie of course generates far more offence, but without a doubt Hamonic is our top defender down low.

I think that if we had a coach that didn’t instruct his players to skate down the ice and fire shots pointless shots on net, we would be much better. Over the last week we’ve seen the D core more activated and the difference has been noticeable. We don’t need to play quite as high risk as Hartley did, but when you have a Dougie and Brodie, let the dogs off their chains.

Instead of forcing Brouwer into a possession style of game, incorporate him into the play. Have the dman pass the puck back and forth and then down to the dots, and let Brouwer create traffic in front of the net. The other C/W can skate below the net and set Brouwer up from the slot. Firing an errant puck at the net and then having Brouwer go and retrieve the puck in the corner is not his strength, because he’s slow and has poor handling skills. That’s Tkachuk’s strength.

Bennett has essentially been neutered. He plays a dump and chase style of game, which is fine but he has little support in doing so. The shots he is getting are usually very low quality because I can’t help but think he’s forcing things by following the coaches instructions, get pucks at the net. He needs support and better minutes more often with better players. He should be encouraged to play his game and create, which will lead to less frustration and less Benalities. Bennett honestly is a great match with Gaudreau. Johnny controls the play, Bennett has the speed to keep up to and is a menace down low. Bennett also has the skill the finish off many Johnny’s chances.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No, I really don't think Flames brass got to their position by being childish (aka not thinking rationally about probabilities) and emotional. Just because it's important to you, doesn't make it important to the people doing business.

You can keep saying that but if the pick turn out to be Dahlin or maybe even the top 3, there will be a lot of regret and BT will be a laughing stock of the NHL for being an idiot that traded away a potential franchise player AND missed the playoff.

But you right in a way that the damage has already been done

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
AS is right. From about 30 games on, Hamonic has played like a top 3 dman, he’s been better than Brodie overall this season or at least a more important part to the team IMO. Brodie of course generates far more offence, but without a doubt Hamonic is our top defender down low.

I think that if we had a coach that didn’t instruct his players to skate down the ice and fire shots pointless shots on net, we would be much better. Over the last week we’ve seen the D core more activated and the difference has been noticeable. We don’t need to play quite as high risk as Hartley did, but when you have a Dougie and Brodie, let the dogs off their chains.

Instead of forcing Brouwer into a possession style of game, incorporate him into the play. Have the dman pass the puck back and forth and then down to the dots, and let Brouwer create traffic in front of the net. The other C/W can skate below the net and set Brouwer up from the slot. Firing an errant puck at the net and then having Brouwer go and retrieve the puck in the corner is not his strength, because he’s slow and has poor handling skills. That’s Tkachuk’s strength.

Bennett has essentially been neutered. He plays a dump and chase style of game, which is fine but he has little support in doing so. The shots he is getting are usually very low quality because I can’t help but think he’s forcing things by following the coaches instructions, get pucks at the net. He needs support and better minutes more often with better players. He should be encouraged to play his game and create, which will lead to less frustration and less Benalities. Bennett honestly is a great match with Gaudreau. Johnny controls the play, Bennett has the speed to keep up to and is a menace down low. Bennett also has the skill the finish off many Johnny’s chances.
I disagree on Bennett, to an extent. He gets all kinds of opportunities in tight but doesn’t seem to be able to convert. He just crashes the net in junior-esque fashion, getting in way too tight and effectively eliminates his own scoring chances. The whole concept of separation seems completely lost on the kid and he continually stick handles himself into a corner, against insurmountable odds, trying to out skill guys one on one (his junior go to). His skill is undeniable but until he realizes he can’t play the same way he did in the lower levels and starts playing a smarter brand of hockey, he’ll continue to be ineffective. It’s extremely frustrating and I can’t help but think a lot of the responsibility falls on the organization. He seems like the kind of kid that could have benefited greatly from a year or two in the AHL. Watching the kid you can’t help but think we’d end up losing any trade he’s involved in.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I will say the difference is the last time this happened, the Leafs got an elite player in Kessel. Which as much as I love him, Hamonic is not. If we had a different coach, there would be good chance the results of this season would have been different. Tre should have gotten the pick protected and I’m sure he will the next time.

Reactions: Kranix

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I disagree on Bennett, to an extent. He gets all kinds of opportunities in tight but doesn’t seem to be able to convert. He just crashes the net in junior-esque fashion, getting in way too tight and efficiently eliminates his own scoring chances. The whole concept of separation seems completely lost on the kid and he continually stick handles himself into a corner, against insurmountable odds, trying to out skill guys one on one (his junior go to). His skill is undeniable but until he realizes he can’t play the same way he did in the lower levels and starts playing a smarter brand of hockey, he’ll continue to be ineffective. It’s extremely frustrating and I can’t help but think a lot of the responsibility falls on the organization. He seems like the kind of kid that could have benefited greatly from a year or two in the AHL. Watching the kid you can’t help but think we’d end up losing any trade he’s involved in.

What I see in Bennett, is a guy who often makes one or two solid moves and then puts a weak, low percentage shot on net. I would be speculate that 40% of his shots are of this nature. I would also speculate that 70% of the time where he tries to do this, he turns the puck over because he can’t beat the dman. I think this is largely coaching.

Bennett being creative doesn’t mean beating a guy 1-on-1. I agree that he needs learn what separation is, but I think he’s doing what the coach is asking him by trying his best just to get shots on net, regardless of the quality.

Bennett needs to worry about playing hockey and letting the game naturally come to him using his instincts. The coaches should definitely be helping him pick his spots and using his teammates more. In all honesty, I think Bennett should model his game after Crosby. He needs to use speed and handle the puck along the circles and the boards, use his strength to grind down low, and then when his teammates have the puck, that’s when he has to crash the net.

If he plays with Gaudreau, he can just relax more and let the game come to him. The points will come, Bennett looks so frustrated most of the time and it’s because he’s constantly forcing things.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm not gonna lose sleep over what will likely be a mid-first.

If I were Treliving I would be losing sleep over the fact that this team always seems to have a hole it leaves unplugged no matter what.

When the defense tightens up, the offense dries up.
When the offense returns, our defense lets us down.
When both do well, the goaltending is terrible.
When this team performs admirably on 5v5, they get sunk by their special teams game.

This inability to focus and have a concerted effort comes down to coaching. This should've been a playoff team

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
First off, not trying to defend Gulutzen, he makes a lot of bone head moves that I don’t agree with and don’t think he’s the right fit for the team. That being said, we have one of the best road records in the league. If the home record was even average, we’d comfortably in a playoff position and GG would probably be in the coach of the year conversation. I’ve said it before but blaming the coach seems like the easy answer. There is absolutely no reason this team should be that good on the road and that horrible at home. I wonder if there might be to big of an age deference between our leadership core an our young superstars. On the road the old boys keep the kids in check but at home they’re to preoccupied with their families and the kids run wild, perhaps?

Reactions: Pekkas Purse

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The season is rooned. They need more scoring and so long Gulutzan

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You can keep saying that but if the pick turn out to be Dahlin or maybe even the top 3, there will be a lot of regret and BT will be a laughing stock of the NHL for being an idiot that traded away a potential franchise player AND missed the playoff.

But you right in a way that the damage has already been done

But by that thinking then if we trade away a 6th round pick and that guy turns into the next Gretzky then should the GM be a laughing stock?

If the Flames had got the 1st overall pick by finishing last I could see blaming Treliving but blaming him for the fluke of lottery balls bouncing seems like a pretty terrible way to judge a GM.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What I see in Bennett, is a guy who often makes one or two solid moves and then puts a weak, low percentage shot on net. I would be speculate that 40% of his shots are of this nature. I would also speculate that 70% of the time where he tries to do this, he turns the puck over because he can’t beat the dman. I think this is largely coaching.

Bennett being creative doesn’t mean beating a guy 1-on-1. I agree that he needs learn what separation is, but I think he’s doing what the coach is asking him by trying his best just to get shots on net, regardless of the quality.

Bennett needs to worry about playing hockey and letting the game naturally come to him using his instincts. The coaches should definitely be helping him pick his spots and using his teammates more. In all honesty, I think Bennett should model his game after Crosby. He needs to use speed and handle the puck along the circles and the boards, use his strength to grind down low, and then when his teammates have the puck, that’s when he has to crash the net.

If he plays with Gaudreau, he can just relax more and let the game come to him. The points will come, Bennett looks so frustrated most of the time and it’s because he’s constantly forcing things.
Oh ya, I don’t think we see Bennett in the same light at all. I don’t see a center what so ever, much less one that should be modeling his game after Crosby. I can count on one hand how many times Bennett has shown the sense this year to back away from contact in front of the net and put himself in scoring position. Which is fine, we need those players too but if he’s going to play that way he should watch Tkachuk. He needs to learn how to position himself so he can get a shot away clean.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Bennett honestly is a great match with Gaudreau. Johnny controls the play, Bennett has the speed to keep up to and is a menace down low. Bennett also has the skill the finish off many Johnny’s chances.

I agree with this. The question is though, do you have Bennett as a C with Gaudreau, or a winger?

I've been curious about changing up the lines for the rest of the year. Nothing left to lose at this point.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Ferland
Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg
Shore/Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Jankowski/Shore - Brouwer

Reactions: Janks

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

At the time the trade was made, the Flames were basically looking at Stone as the 4D for the entire season, which based on his play last year would've been tenuous, but doable. They chose to make it an area of strength, instead of mediocre (and a liability if injuries hit). It's definitely solidified the defence with respect to previous seasons.

I really believe that the Flames are where they are in spite of the trade, not because of it in any way. Look at what has hurt the Flames this year: poor special teams, poor depth scoring and forwards who stop skating when things don't go their way. None of these are Hamonic-related. Whether the Flames need a new coach or just need to hit the reset button over the summer, Hamonic can definitely be part of the contending team we're trying to build.

I'll admit that Hamonic is definitely not the problem, but he was never the solution and the trade currently is doing more harm than good. For the season the trade might have done more good (And even then Andersson is more than ready), but for long term it's done more harm. We could have picked up another RHD with our pick this season and picked up a much needed RHS winger in Dominik Bokk as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calculon

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree with this. The question is though, do you have Bennett as a C with Gaudreau, or a winger?

I've been curious about changing up the lines for the rest of the year. Nothing left to lose at this point.

Probably at wing, but it all depends on Janks. If he doesn’t take a big step forward next season, I’d happily move Bennett back to C.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Oh ya, I don’t think we see Bennett in the same light at all. I don’t see a center what so ever, much less one that should be modeling his game after Crosby. I can count on one hand how many times Bennett has shown the sense this year to back away from contact in front of the net and put himself in scoring position. Which is fine, we need those players too but if he’s going to play that way he should watch Tkachuk. He needs to learn how to position himself so he can get a shot away clean.

Just to be clear, I don’t think Bennett will ever be Crosby (I hope I didn’t have to state that). But Crosby is a classic grinder and the best to ever play in the NHL. Bennett modeling his game after him is a good thing, and he can do so playing C or W. FWIW, Tkachuk and Sid have similarities in their games.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Yes to those lines.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

That seems to really limit Gaudreau.

I know everybody loves Bennett but he is on pace for 30 points with 36 as his career high and has struggled at centre.

Ferland has ok production with Monahan as his center, it's hard to see him reaching even those totals with the downgrade to Bennett.

I think the concept behind the lines make sense but show why we need that extra top 6 forward to take Bennetts spot and move him into Versteegs spot with Monahan and Tkachuk or the new guy in Monahans spot and Monahan back to the top line.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gaudreau and Monahan need to be separated so they can carry their own lines. There's no reason to be this top heavy.

Frankly they're not developing Monahan right; he's capable of being 'the guy' on a line and should be tasked with that responsibility. Instead they've married him to Gaudreau and his game has devolved to wait in the slot and/or defer everything to Gaudreau. An oversimplification of his game yeah but he's capable of doing so much more.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gaudreau and Monahan need to be separated so they can carry their own lines. There's no reason to be this top heavy.

Frankly they're not developing Monahan right; he's capable of being 'the guy' on a line and should be tasked with that responsibility. Instead they've married him to Gaudreau and his game has devolved to wait in the slot and/or defer everything to Gaudreau. An oversimplification of his game yeah but he's capable of doing so much more.

I agree in principle but in reality we don't have the players to split them up. It creates two much weaker lines and we are better off having the one line that at least is effective until we can get that other piece to pair with one of them (likely Gaudreau since he and Tkachuk are both LW).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

When we don't even really have true third line players to play them with if we do split them up, then it's a problem. If you are putting Bennett with Gaudreau fine, but Monahan cannot be expected to lift Jankowski and whatever winger they throw with him. Better to run one stacked line, fix the forward depth next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad