Player Discussion Travis Hamonic

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Last edited:

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I still want our pick to win the lottery. Keeps Dahlin out of conference, and the Isles fans have been nothing but classy anyway. Always coming here nicely checking in on Hamonic, and none of them are really rubbing the lotto pick in our faces. Sure, they're excited it's a better pick, and who can blame them for that? But they aren't rubbing our faces in it with their excitement like Oilers and Nucks fans in particular seem to be.

So yeah, I hope our pick ends up 1st overall.

Reactions: Skobel24

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, whether our pick wins first overall is completely irrelevant to me. Odds are if we didn't have Hamonic, we would have finished somewhere different in the standings and wouldn't have win the lottery anyways.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
We traded 3 lottery tickets for a proven top 4 d-man. We won the trade.

By the time any of those picks become impact/depth players, Gaudreau and Mony are 3 years older at least if not 5 years older.

Everyone likes the shiny new toys, but unless you're getting a top 3 pick or hit a home-run like Pasta, they take years to develop, have high chances to bust, we have a proven NHL player right now to help.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Is the player at 12th OA likely to be better than Hamonic though? Seems somewhat unlikely.

It's not just that

It's also the value of the 12th overall pick......+ the second rounders

No question the Flames overpaid for Hamonic

If they keep and make the picks then it's probably a good deal based on their draft history

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's not just that

It's also the value of the 12th overall pick......+ the second rounders

No question the Flames overpaid for Hamonic

If they keep and make the picks then it's probably a good deal based on their draft history

Ah yes, that is a good point. I'd agree we overpaid but I think based on today's results we didn't lose out shirts. I do also expect Hamonic to improve.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mentioned it on the armchair thread.
In a nutshell, 12th OA for Hammer isn't a bad trade. The extra assets hurt, because those could have been used to get us a scorer (look at the Kane trade). The trade value of top 4D is staggering in the NHL; and it does take some guts to step up and get one.

Edmonton traded the best LW in the game for a similar Hammer in Larsson... so... there's that.

Calgary got 3 years of Hammer in the deal too on a good contract.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I mentioned it on the armchair thread.
In a nutshell, 12th OA for Hammer isn't a bad trade. The extra assets hurt, because those could have been used to get us a scorer (look at the Kane trade). The trade value of top 4D is staggering in the NHL; and it does take some guts to step up and get one.

Edmonton traded the best LW in the game for a similar Hammer in Larsson... so... there's that.

Calgary got 3 years of Hammer in the deal too on a good contract.

I think you're right that the trade value of a young top 4 defenseman is pretty skewed in this league, but does Hamonic actually make us that much better that he's worth pulling the trigger on still? I think we essentially got fair value, I just think his addition was unnecessary. We could've just re-signed Stone to play with Brodie, picked up a #5 guy to fill in through FA, and used the Hamonic assets to land a top six RW instead and in my opinion would've finished higher. Our bottom three defensemen were a lot better than last year's but I don't know if that was what needed to be fixed last summer.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
At least now we have a solidified top 4 and if Rasmus/Vali/Kylington can pan out and be top 4 defenders we can afford to trade some of those older d-men for forward assets like what Nashville has done. Not that I think we have a Seth Jones, but Larsson got Hall and the Flames have better d-men than Adam freaking Larsson.

It's why I laugh when people want to trade Hamilton away for some scrub like Nylander. Hamilton is better and worth more than Larsson and Flames fans want to trade him for Nylander? Just LOL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think you're right that the trade value of a young top 4 defenseman is pretty skewed in this league, but does Hamonic actually make us that much better that he's worth pulling the trigger on still? I think we essentially got fair value, I just think his addition was unnecessary. We could've just re-signed Stone to play with Brodie, picked up a #5 guy to fill in through FA, and used the Hamonic assets to land a top six RW instead and in my opinion would've finished higher. Our bottom three defensemen were a lot better than last year's but I don't know if that was what needed to be fixed last summer.
Hamonic makes us that much better because he is a different type of player than we currently have on the blueline. Brodie and Hamilton are both pillow soft and are often questionable defensively. Gio is a good two-way guy, but I would argue is still more offensive than defensive. Stone is another two-way guy, but often has defensive lapses as he goes for offensive opportunities or big hits. Hamonic on the other hand is a tough as nails defensive defenseman. He's not going to take the same risks as the other guys, he is better positionally than any defenseman on our roster, including Gio. He brings a much needed skillset to the redundancy that is our blueline and if Peters does allow the defensemen more free reign, it will become even more vital.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At least now we have a solidified top 4 and if Rasmus/Vali/Kylington can pan out and be top 4 defenders we can afford to trade some of those older d-men for forward assets like what Nashville has done. Not that I think we have a Seth Jones, but Larsson got Hall and the Flames have better d-men than Adam freaking Larsson.

It's why I laugh when people want to trade Hamilton away for some scrub like Nylander. Hamilton is better and worth more than Larsson and Flames fans want to trade him for Nylander? Just LOL
I'm not saying Hamilton for Nylander is a good idea but a couple things....

1) Calling Nylander a scrub just makes you look petty and uneducated when it comes to the players of other teams.
2) Using the Larsson/Hall deal as the barometer of anything is sheer stupidity. Anyone with half a brain knew that the Oilers weren't going to get value for their underachieving forwards, teams not only knew Chia was desperate for a defenseman, but also they were concerned that the environment in Edmonton ruined them.

Reactions: Kurtz

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Hamonic makes us that much better because he is a different type of player than we currently have on the blueline. Brodie and Hamilton are both pillow soft and are often questionable defensively. Gio is a good two-way guy, but I would argue is still more offensive than defensive. Stone is another two-way guy, but often has defensive lapses as he goes for offensive opportunities or big hits. Hamonic on the other hand is a tough as nails defensive defenseman. He's not going to take the same risks as the other guys, he is better positionally than any defenseman on our roster, including Gio. He brings a much needed skillset to the redundancy that is our blueline and if Peters does allow the defensemen more free reign, it will become even more vital.

That's a good point, and you don't touch on his leadership which I've heard is one of the biggest things he brings to a team. But I do wonder what those assets could've gotten us in the way of a forward.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's a good point, and you don't touch on his leadership which I've heard is one of the biggest things he brings to a team. But I do wonder what those assets could've gotten us in the way of a forward.
probably about the same as TJ Grodie could

Reactions: InfinityIggy

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Isles fan coming in peace. I’m a huge Hamonic fan! He was one of my favorites on the isles. In his rookie year I met him st the isles prospects game( he wasn’t playing) and he was very classy. He and Matt Martin held my daughter and took pictures.

He’s such a warrior.Every team needs a guy like him. I know he didn’t have the greatest year this year but he’s such a good athlete and smart Hockey player that I’d expect him to bounce back.

I was happy he went to Calgary over the oilers. Flames franchise I always respect because they don’t quite and aren’t afraid to go for it.

As far as the trade, it might be a slight overpayment because of the extra 2nd but that’s not anything astronomical. You have to keep in mind also that you guys were keeping him away from the oilers who really wanted him.

Hamonic is a proven top4 Defensman and a great contract. I don’t think The Flames should have any regrets about the trade. If the islanders pick a Defenseman at 12 I pray he becomes as good and impactful as Hamonic.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I want to bump this just to appreciate how f***ing good this guy has been since coming back from his injury.

Rock solid defensively. Heart on his sleeve. Starting to get involved in the offense more too now which is nice because he has a great shot.

Love Hamonic. Discuss.

l5Jz2g.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad