Player Discussion Travis Hamonic

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In case anyone is worried about his current point totals:

Hamonic typically scores more points during the second half of the season, so I think he'll finish closer to the 25-30 point range rather than the 14 points he's projected on right now.

Even in the best cast scenarios in NYI, doesn't Hamonic trend around 20 points? 25-30 is perhaps a bit aggressive. I'm guessing most of us expect closer to 15-20 points with very solid overall D analytics. Most of us don't expect Hamonic to rack up points. We have Gio, Hamilton and Brodie for that. They are more suited to the risks than Hamonic. We are more hoping Hamonic down more as a defensively responsible shut down style player.

I'm quite certain most of us who have concerns about Hamonic aren't concerned relating to point production. Moreso we are concerned about some of the give aways and him being out of position, but IMO that's more due to him learning a new system.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Even in the best cast scenarios in NYI, doesn't Hamonic trend around 20 points? 25-30 is perhaps a bit aggressive. I'm guessing most of us expect closer to 15-20 points with very solid overall D analytics. Most of us don't expect Hamonic to rack up points. We have Gio, Hamilton and Brodie for that. They are more suited to the risks than Hamonic. We are more hoping Hamonic down more as a defensively responsible shut down style player.

I'm quite certain most of us who have concerns about Hamonic aren't concerned relating to point production. Moreso we are concerned about some of the give aways and him being out of position, but IMO that's more due to him learning a new system.
Harmonic averages 27 points/82 games. The thing is he's somewhat injury prone, and usually doesn't play 82 games.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Harmonic averages 27 points/82 games. The thing is he's somewhat injury prone, and usually doesn't play 82 games.

Ah, I didn't realize that you had prorated it.

And.... he sustains injury in practice today. Here's hoping it's minor and he plays closer to 80 games than 60.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Ah, I didn't realize that you had prorated it.

And.... he sustains injury in practice today. Here's hoping it's minor and he plays closer to 80 games than 60.
Gulutzan said it's a minor injury and they'll find out more about it tomorrow.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hopefully only one game as he has been possibly the best defenseman (and if not him he allows Brodie to be the top guy).

A Bartowski-Kulak pairing while be a nightmare if forced to play together. Probably best to just sit Kulak and go with 5 guys in that situation.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
In case anyone is worried about his current point totals:

Hamonic typically scores more points during the second half of the season, so I think he'll finish closer to the 25-30 point range rather than the 14 points he's projected on right now.

Even if he only gets 14 points, that's not really on him. When the team is scoring 2 goals per game, primarily shutdown type defenseman isn't gonna see much production.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Hopefully only one game as he has been possibly the best defenseman (and if not him he allows Brodie to be the top guy).

A Bartowski-Kulak pairing while be a nightmare if forced to play together. Probably best to just sit Kulak and go with 5 guys in that situation.

Mmm... not true

Reactions: Dack

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
It's either him or Brodie and if it's Brodie it's in large part due to Hamo if covering for him allowing him to ignore his defensive responsibilities.

Gio and Hamilton have been a much better pairing 5on5 this season. It's not even close. That's not to say Brodie and/or Hamonic have been bad. But Gio/Hamilton have been dominant once again

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Gio and Hamilton have been a much better pairing 5on5 this season. It's not even close. That's not to say Brodie and/or Hamonic have been bad. But Gio/Hamilton have been dominant once again
Gio-Hamilton were very sub-par, the first 6-7 games. It’s really not even a debate, which pairing was better but I do agree they’ve been better, as of late.
Maybe my expections were too high but I don’t think either pairing has truly hit their stride yet. The breakout is better but Smith deserves a lot of credit for that. Shot totals are too high and we still struggle when teams actually do start cycling. The defense overall haven’t activated offensively the way I expect yet, outside of the first 6 games or so.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I would say Brodie and Hamonic have been much better.

I love Hamilton but he hasn't been as good this year as he was last season. I do expect him to pick it up and by the end of the year he will be right there with Hamonic and Brodie.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well, maybe it's a good thing, they know they have to score more than one goal to win now

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Nope, Flames site has the projected lineup:

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Bartkowski-Kulak

What emotion is after sad?

I don't think the English language has a word to adequately express my disgust

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Saw this article on NHL.com on Hamonic, wanted to check up on him...

Hamonic ready for next life-changing event

As told to you by so many Isles fans, the guy is character +++. Great to see him being his usual classy self with his work off the ice. He sounds happy there and his wife is expecting. Happy for him, he deserves it.

Good luck to him and you guys in 2018.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He is a solid player. We just overpaid for him. I fully expect him to be a playoff beast if we ever get there.

Tavares2Hall

Sep 29, 2009
Hey guys! I'm an Isles fan coming in peace. I'm just wondering what type of a season Hamonic is having for you guys? His numbers don't look like much, but he has never been a player who's value has really been represented by his numbers. He was pretty bad for us for the last year+, but he was our best defenceman for a long stretch before that. I see that your team has been playing lights out (congratulations btw) so I figured it would be a good time to check in and see if he has been a reliable top-4 dman. Thank you in advance!

Tavares2Hall

Sep 29, 2009
Thank you, but has anything changed since early November? What is your updated view on how he is playing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->