Player Discussion Travis Hamonic

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's been alright. Likes to rush the puck, ~average puck mover. Makes a few questionable decisions with his gaps and defensive pinches (or specifically... lack thereof) that I think Gulutzan is working with him on. Good at defensing the rush, alright defending the cycle but should improve as he adjusts to the system. Been fairly disciplined outside of phantom penalties. Been getting pucks on net but could stand to try for a few more deflections/rebounds rather than just straight-on shots into the crest

I'm not sure he's the top pairing Dman he was advertised as, but if you think of somè successful second pairs in recent years like Oduya--Hjalmarsson, Mitchell-Voynov, Ellis-Josi, or Klefbom-Larsson - I am very comfortable with Brodie-Hamonic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dack

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
That's funny, he used to rush the puck all the time with the Isles and we would debate if it was him or Jack Capuano's system that called for it. Seems we have our answer;). I think he is top 6 material but he had a lot of personal stuff going on the past couple of years and it affected his play. Thanks for your informative reply!

He's been alright. Likes to rush the puck, ~average puck mover. .

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A very solid addition to Calgary’s top 4. Him and Brodie are improving as a pair every game; and there’s signs that those two will be extremely good in the near future.

I’ve personally liked his play a lot.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
It’s funny... this time last year we had Dennis Wideman in that spot.... we are in a much better place right now!!

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really like Hamonic, but I expected more from him. It's only 10 games though, and it took Douggie a good 20-30 games to really get going.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hamonic's been mostly fine. Obviously a massive, massive upgrade on the corpse of Wideman.

But still don't like that the Flames gave up an unconditional first for him though.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Defensively sound, moreso than Brodie and Hamilton so far, but quite prone to turnovers. Like the trade just hope it doesn't end up becoming a lottery pick

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hamonic has been acceptable. Not amazing or anything. But Hamilton also took a while to figure out our systems (Hartley and GG transition) and I think it's only fair Hamonic gets more time to establish and show who he will be for us.

Looking good so far, but the price we paid isn't sitting well. But this may change for the better for both sides once Hamonic begins hitting his stride.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As long as we make the playoffs, I could care less about the price we paid for Hamonic. Getting top 3 guys via trade is almost impossible and Treliving has done it twice (for guys in their prime) without giving up a Taylor Hall. We are set on the backend for the next 5-10 years.

He has been very good, I think he will only get better.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hi everyone! I'm an Islanders fan and was just wondering how Travis Hamonic is doing so far? He was a very popular player on the Island and I hope he's playing well for the Flames......
I love the guy. He seems to love it here so I am expecting him to re-sign after this contract is up.

He's playing pretty good with Brodie too.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Travis has the heart of a lion, just do not expect too much offensively. They tried on the Island to turn him into Bobby Orr, never gonna happen. Check out Utube for his battles with Malkin during the playoffs-hard not to root for the guy.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Getting top 3 guys via trade is almost impossible and Treliving has done it twice (for guys in their prime) without giving up a Taylor Hall.

I think you mean going into their prime. Both guys still have a lot of years of upside.

He came as advertised imo.

I agree.

just do not expect too much offensively.

I don't think many of us do (or should). If anything, he's an anchor on the blue line and gives Brodie the option to jump in on the rush, which he does well.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I miss him, but it was time for us to move on. Even when he was playing poorly, he was still a player you always wanted to root for. I'm glad you guys are liking him. You're a fun team to root for.

I think one thing to mention is that Hamonic hasn't really performed up to the price point we paid for him , but everything that was reported by NYI fans has been absolutely true from his character, his on ice play style and habits. I eagerly await his progress at the 20-30 game mark when he finally settles in. Honestly speaking, we have a new system this season to take advantage of Smith's puck moving ability, so the entire team is still settling in. I believe that's one reason why Hamonic still has much to show us while wearing Flames silks.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
In case anyone is worried about his current point totals:

Hamonic typically scores more points during the second half of the season, so I think he'll finish closer to the 25-30 point range rather than the 14 points he's projected on right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->