Travis Dermott ..... who is this masked man ?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Amazing how that pick was bounced around 3 times too. I am insanely happy with Dermott

As has been argued back/forth a lot since that draft when we traded down........who won?

Philly, getting to draft good little player Konecny?

Or the Leafs, getting both Demott and Bracco?

I'd say that today, the Flyers are ahead in that deal. But long-term, Dermott alone might be the best player to of the three. Bracco? Who knows?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
As has been argued back/forth a lot since that draft when we traded down........who won?

I'd say that today, the Flyers are ahead in that deal. But long-term, Dermott alone might be the best player to of the three. Bracco? Who knows?

It's the chance to get 'their guy' (Dermott) and also two lottery rolls later in the draft. Seemed to work out of the Leafs regardless of how Bracco turns out - Dermott looks like a player, and one that fills a current need. If Bracco develops into an NHL player (be it him or traded for one) than it's just gravy.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica

i never understood the love people have for konecny..hes a decent young winger. conner brown and zach hyman have effectively the same amount of points as him through their first 2 years(granted more games played). hes a good depth piece but dont think hes ever going to be a star...and we have wingers for days in our system. even if it was 1 for 1 i take dermott everytime, especially knowing what we know now having seen what he can do with the big club.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Guys like Percy and Finn were "Big Names" back when the Leafs had a laughable prospect pool. Dermott is the real deal for a top organization with a very deep prospect pool.

I agree but its more than just the prospect pool, its the prospect system, infrastructure, equipment, training facilities and medical science support! Since there is no limit on spending in this area, we have a huge competitive advantage that will continue to play dividends for us!!

While we're recruiting now, this is a critical selling point for our organization! We can and have spent and invested more in this than most other teams in the league and its already showing results for the players!

That's why we sign another top prospect today like Pooley, we have players like Holl in the system who are late bloomers but on a good road!

We have ~10 Marlie grads on the Leafs now and several others playing elsewhere in the NHL.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
even if it was 1 for 1 i take dermott everytime, especially knowing what we know now having seen what he can do with the big club.

I agree that Dermott is now looking like at least an equal. I think Konecny was projected to have a higher upside, is all. If he ends somewhat realizing that potential, and becomes a 25-goal-55/60 point winger.......and Dermott continues to do what he's doing and can become a dependable 40 point, 2nd pairing D-Man........I take Dermott every time.

Now I'd like Bracco to break out so we can REALLY slam dunk that move.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I agree that Dermott is now looking like at least an equal. I think Konecny was projected to have a higher upside, is all. If he ends somewhat realizing that potential, and becomes a 25-goal-55/60 point winger.......and Dermott continues to do what he's doing and can become a dependable 40 point, 2nd pairing D-Man........I take Dermott every time.

Now I'd like Bracco to break out so we can REALLY slam dunk that move.

I hope nobody's sleeping on him. He's tremendously skilled and very fun to watch. I'll call it now, I think he makes the team next year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I hope nobody's sleeping on him. He's tremendously skilled and very fun to watch. I'll call it now, I think he makes the team next year.
They are underrating him based on his stat sheet, but by watching the games, Bracco has been very good so far and has taken major strides this season. He has been a pleasent surprise of how quickly he has adjusted to pro hockey. Keefe has praised him a lot.

Reactions: IPS and Ziggdiezan

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
imagine if we had him for the whole year, we would have a even better record.

Only thing i wish dermott can improve his is speed, he can skate well laterally but he doesnt rush the puck often mostly because he cant. still pretty fast just wish he was faster.hes still pretty fast just wish he was faster.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
This kid is really good..looks like he can turn into a safe dependable puck moving dman who uses gap control and positioning. Keeps it simple.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It feels pretty good to find our own later round gem, after seeing our rivals draft guys like Pastrnak, McAvoy, Stone, Subban, Karlsson etc all with non-lotto picks.

I've been more impressed by Dermott than any other Leaf the last 20 games, although Marner is also up there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So I decided to crunch the numbers.

Since Dermott fixed our defense, the leafs are 19-5-5, good for a 122pt pace.

In those games, the leafs have allowed 2.66gls/gm, good for 6th in the league in that time span, and would also be good for 6th in the league on the season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

In those games, the leafs have allowed 2.66gls/gm, good for 6th in the league in that time span, and would also be good for 6th in the league on the season.

Dermott has certainly helped but the last l looked his 5v5 sv% over the last 10 games is insanely high

I think the team has tightened up since we started getting injuries as well, Zaitsev not playing recently doesn't seem to have hurt either

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Who would be a comparable dmen to dermott in the 2018 draft class. We should look to take a dmen like him again. Nielsen and dermott were both good picks to take. Dermott has made it and nielsen was a good risk. Has yet to work but he has become a top 4 ahl dman. Not too bad, if he continues to grow he could be a bottom pairing pp dman.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

If that's accurate that's outstanding.

I'm still hedging against saying who I think he plays like, but Dermott really seems to pressure on defense in the same fashion a certain Red Wings D did in his heyday. And nobody is even close on our D squad to resembling that same efficiency. Simply outstanding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad