Prospect Info: Travis Dermott Upside

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I respect all the points everyone is making in terms of Dermott making the Leafs out of camp. I really hope he can surprise me and knock my socks off with his play.

Right now, the way I see it he has a very good toolbox. I think we need to develop his offensive game a little more and build on his first pro season. He's only 20 and I think making him play for his call-up is the best strategy. IMO if he can build on his season from last year early on.. he will get games in the second half of the season. The only way I see him on the team is by being a stand-out in camp or a an injury to our top 4.

I like the idea of Nielsen/Dermott growing together as players.. Low key Justin Holl is a player to watch this year. I am really interested to see if he can get some games with the big club. I really think he can surprise and be a factor on the right-side.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
To be successful you would think the Leafs at some time would need Dermott to replace Marinicin or Marchenko this season.
I think he's good. If summer of 2019, if the Leafs have cap issues when signing their forwards, Gardiner might be the guy who leaves as a UFA. Dermot could be a top four for replacement for Gardiner....admitting Dermott may never be as good at least offensively.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
To be successful you would think the Leafs at some time would need Dermott to replace Marinicin or Marchenko this season.
I think he's good. If summer of 2019, if the Leafs have cap issues when signing their forwards, Gardiner might be the guy who leaves as a UFA. Dermot could be a top four for replacement for Gardiner....admitting Dermott may never be as good at least offensively.

This is exactly the issue though.. You're making a definitive statement for a young player to step into the line-up. This needs to happen naturally.. Rosen, Borgman, Valiev, Nielsen, Holl will contend with Dermott for the same role. I think we have a lot of underrated options that could be gems that we aren't talking about.

Especially the smooth skating Swedes who are more experienced at the pro hockey ranks. I would argue that you may have a chance at a Zaitsev-lite quality defenseman in Rosen/Borgman. Both players were highly praised by Babcock/Hunter - again I think Leaf nation is going to be really surprised by Rosen. He's a really good player, on the young end, and FAST

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Clam: IMO Rosen and Borgman might need some AHL to learn the NHL game and rink size and angles. So I'm doubting they are NHL ready in October. But with the usual expected injuries during the season, someone(s) better NHL ready when they are called up and maybe really soon.
The little I have seen of Borgman...he looks the part of an NHLer.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Clam: IMO Rosen and Borgman might need some AHL to learn the NHL game and rink size and angles. So I'm doubting they are NHL ready in October. But with the usual expected injuries during the season, someone(s) better NHL ready when they are called up and maybe really soon.
The little I have seen of Borgman...he looks the part of an NHLer.

I'm thinking Borgman will be a huge surprise come October. I'm not expecting as much from Rosen.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think Dermott will be NHL ready this season but I think it would be better for his development to play like 24 min/game with the Marlies compared to like 14 min/game with the Leafs.
Let him truly dominate the AHL as he was staring to near the end of last year.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
He has the upside of a 2 but will he get there who knows . He started off his professional career as an offence d man but the marlies and leafs staff had a different picture for him they wanted to see him in a shutdown role so that's what he worked on last year . He didn't make as many flashy plays but he He did jump in the rush plenty he started to make smarter more calculated plays taking less risk in positioning he had a phenomenal year transitioning towards a more defensive kind of player but still not losing that scoring play making touch I honstley see him as a Liljegren type of player with not as good skating ( LIL G Skating is elite )

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He has the upside of a 2 but will he get there who knows . He started off his professional career as an offence d man but the marlies and leafs staff had a different picture for him they wanted to see him in a shutdown role so that's what he worked on last year . He didn't make as many flashy plays but he He did jump in the rush plenty he started to make smarter more calculated plays taking less risk in positioning he had a phenomenal year transitioning towards a more defensive kind of player but still not losing that scoring play making touch I honstley see him as a Liljegren type of player with not as good skating ( LIL G Skating is elite )
Dermott might have the backwards skating edge. That kid skates faster backwards than forwards I swear.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I see Rosen beating Dermott out for a spot on the Leafs.

I doubt this. Rosen is a good skater, but really hasn't demonstrated any great hockey IQ or game. You could say he needs a better toolbox to succeed. Likely a 3rd pairing d-man at best if he makes it. Very long odds on SHL d-men making the nhl at his age. Honestly, with his skating skills he should have shown far more, and he just hasn't.
Dermott is still unknown, but we have a very well known league to judge him in. By the end of last year he was becoming dominant.
I would put my money on Dermott over all of the other prospects (ie Rosen, Borgen) and I bet he will quickly show he is better than Hainsey.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I doubt this. Rosen is a good skater, but really hasn't demonstrated any great hockey IQ or game. You could say he needs a better toolbox to succeed. Likely a 3rd pairing d-man at best if he makes it. Very long odds on SHL d-men making the nhl at his age. Honestly, with his skating skills he should have shown far more, and he just hasn't.
Dermott is still unknown, but we have a very well known league to judge him in. By the end of last year he was becoming dominant.
I would put my money on Dermott over all of the other prospects (ie Rosen, Borgen) and I bet he will quickly show he is better than Hainsey.

Zaitsev came over at 24

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I doubt this. Rosen is a good skater but really hasn't demonstrated any great hockey IQ or game. You could say he needs a better toolbox to succeed. Likely a 3rd pairing d-man at best if he makes it. Very long odds on SHL d-men making the nhl at his age. Honestly, with his skating skills, he should have shown far more, and he just hasn't.

Rosen was on the Swedish WC roster and can play LHD, RHD. I have to disagree with you.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
One example that I think is rather similar would be Ekholm. Rosén wasn't as good as Ekholm in the SHL though.

Other examples of SHL D transitioning to the NHL at roughly Rosen's age: Enström, Oduya, Klingberg, Gunnarsson and Kronwall.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dermott appears be to "Joe Average" as he neither has any real strong strengths nor glaring weaknesses in his game.

Average size, average shot, average offensive ability, average defensive ability etc.

Looks to be a good 2nd pairing reliable guy if everything works out as planned.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Dermott appears be to "Joe Average" as he neither has any real strong strengths nor glaring weaknesses in his game.

Average size, average shot, average offensive ability, average defensive ability etc.

His board work is amazing. His reads defensively are good offensively very good (incredible knack of getting the puck through traffic and on the net) stick work and skate blade positioning well above average.
Agrees he will be a good 2nd pairing guy, and will add, with the possibility of top pairing.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Strength I would say are boardwork (dude is surprisingly strong for his size) and skating. Otherwise I agree. A good 2nd pair D is exactly what we need. Shame he doesn't shoot right eh

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Other examples of SHL D transitioning to the NHL at roughly Rosen's age: Enström, Oduya, Klingberg, Gunnarsson and Kronwall.

You are absolutely correct, I meant to say undrafted shl defencemen.
I believe all of these examples were drafted, albeit some in the lower rounds. Rosen was never drafted.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Strength I would say are boardwork (dude is surprisingly strong for his size) and skating. Otherwise I agree. A good 2nd pair D is exactly what we need. Shame he doesn't shoot right eh

He is a battler alright.

He's under 6' tall but nearly 210lbs so he has the weight and strength to win board battles and a dogged determination to do so.

I see 2nd pairing potential similar to a Carl Gunnarsson type player, who is a "steady eddy" reliable guy that a coach would not be afraid to toss out there and not need to shelter.

Agreed because as a LHD he will be a 3rd pairing guy, while Rielly and Gardiner play ahead of him on the depth chart. But that is not a bad thing having a guy like him on the 3rd pairing you can count on and not need to protect via matchups.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I love that we have this kind of depth now, and these kinds of prospects to watch.

Having young players like Borgman, Rosen, Liljegren, and Dermott, with any of them having the opportunity and potential to step into the 3rd pairing, and that it will unfold right in front of our eyes.

When was the last time we had this much talent and intrigue when it came to our prospects, let alone the ones who blew the doors off last year like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Zaitsev??

It is such an awesome, incredible time to be a Leafs fan. My kids, who have endured nothing but garbage Leafs teams but stayed strong in their Leaf love, are being rewarded with their loyalty and are at an absolute peak. They are literally saying they can't wait to go back to school (??!!?!) because "that's when hockey season starts and we can see the Leafs again".

Can't wait for training-camp, can't wait to see our Leafs back on the ice, and can't wait to get the season under way!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad