Training infos

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftwinger

Nov 4, 2005
Hey guys, I started playing hockey when I was about 5 and stopped around 18. The worst move I've made all my life. Always regreted it. :cry:

Now I'm 30 and my brother in law (29) plays in a amateur league and asked me to join next year. I went to see them play a few times this year and I was quite impressed. No checking, but a tough game, relatively fast and I witnessed some pretty nice plays.

But before I can join them I need some training. I stopped smoking 4 years ago and my cardio is getting pretty good now, but I need to train specifically for hockey, especially stuff I could do even in the summer time. Could tips, web links, books, personnal experience...

I have some training equipment at home that I use a few times a week, but do any of you guys know training techniques you use(d) and know are effective (legs, wrist, arms, ...)? And how about puck handling and power skating?

Thanks for helping an elderly get back in competition!! lol

Last edited:

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Sounds kinda dumb, but I actually looked thru a Hockey for Dummies book at the library. I really like some of the exercises they got in there. As for stick handling, I think you just gotta do it. Play some roller hockey whenever you have a chance. I use a tennis ball, helps me with using soft hands to keep the ball from bouncing away. Skating...maybe some classes? But going to the rink at least once a week for an open skate helps

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I read a book by a PHD who tells NHL trainers what they should be telling the players. He sugests lots of squats, agility training, stuff like that. The biggest thing I got from it is he says to do only 3 sets of 8 reps and use heavy weights. This builds explosive muscle and you never fatigue those muscles.

leftwinger

Nov 4, 2005
sc37 said:
Sounds kinda dumb, but I actually looked thru a Hockey for Dummies book at the library...

Not dumb, that's how I learn how to make babies!!! (joke, of course... lol) These books can be a lot more helpful than they seem at first!

I do most of my training (besides basic physical training) with a stick in my hands and I go regularly on the rink and the technique's coming back screaming at me. I'm especially looking for a "tips and hints" kinda help.

I also liked your posts Tikkanen, Grave77digger and Talent Analyst, I'll go check out that link.

Thanks a lot guy, looks I'm on the right track!!

DROP THAT PUCK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad