Trading question

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Hello everyone, I have a question surrounding trading on franchise mode.

I'm playing the franchise mode as the 32nd team in the league (brought back the Oakland Seals). The trade deadline is approaching and Nashville is the worst team in the league with only 13 wins and have Filip Forsberg on their trade block.

I offered Cal Clutterbuck (78 rating), and a 2018 first round pick conservatively as they were both assets that it said they wanted. Got rejected. So I tacked on a 2018 3rd round pick (I have stockpiled 4) again an asset they wanted, and one of my extra RW AHL guys (74 rating) who they also wanted. Got rejected.

I decided since I am the top team in the league to wait another day and simmed forward a couple days, and saw Nashville traded Forsberg to the Blues for two AHL guys rated 50 and 55.

I realize my offer may not have been the best but I feel it was certainly better than what the CPU gave, my trade settings are set on easy, and like I said it identified everything I offered as assets they wanted on the block. I should also mention with the addition of my AHL prospect the value bar was fairly similar on both sides. Has anyone seen this in their games before, and possibly I have the wrong thinking in figuring how the CPU views trading so what tips do you have?

Reactions: Bluesguru

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
Both Low for the Blues

Mine is a medium.

I believe a Low Top 4 D is worth more than a Medium Top 6 D or Medium 7th D in terms of trade value. We'll need a bit more details. I typically don't pay attention to the news around the league, so I seldom see if there are other offers that trump my offers.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Honestly, the only reliable trick I have to winning trades at this rate is just to sort FA goalies every year and sign anything Starter+. Feels like trading a quality goalie prospect is practically the only way to get some teams interested.

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
The dumbest thing about trading in NHL is trying to acquire a player with salary retention. In mine, the Rangers were shopping Brady Skjei (89 overall) and he had almost a full bar of value. He was making 8 million for three more years so I tried to get him at 50%. I made lots of offers but my final offer was three forward/defense prospects that had elite potential that had 3/4 bar value. I added an elite goalie prospect too with my first. They declined. They also wanted all of my players too.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I tried to trade MacDonald with 50% retained along with 3 1st rd picks for a 7th and was rejected. I try not to figure it out because it never makes sense.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Straight up traded drouin for McDavid with 4 first round picks and returned the first round picks grabbing Drasaitl giving them Price, Weber, patches. They badly need to fix the trading specs, and remove the bar its pointless

OB5

May 2, 2015
What I don't like (especially in the earlier versions of the game) was if you made a proposal that didn't live up to a GM's standards your rep would drop and you wouldn't be able to deal with that GM until you raised it.

What bugged me as well was that teams could trash you for making bad offers but you couldn't do the same to other teams who came at you with terrible deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->