Helene St. James Trading Mrazek "Makes Sense" if Red Wings out of Playoff Picture

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Whether untouchable or not, Mrazek's best from the last two years is exponentially better than the best we have seen from Howard. Mrazek at his best makes the saves that he is supposed to and then some. Even when Howard is playing his best, pucks still find a way through him (which is the kiss of death for any goalie). Never mind the whole blocker-side issues that still haunt him.

I may very much be in the minority, but I just don't see how Howard fits in with the future of this team. Howard is already 32. He will be out of the league before we are a relevant franchise again. This doesn't, however, mean that he necessarily has any trade value. Again, Mrazek may or may not be the goalie of our future. However, Howard sure as **** isn't our goalie of the future.

Also, why are people expecting Howard to come back strong from IR as if nothing happened. History suggests that he could be a hot mess when he gets back.

Yeah. Mrazek at his best isn't exponentially better than Howard at his. Mrazek makes the "and then some" saves because he overrelies on his athleticism. Something like that stick save on Brian Boyle in the playoffs a couple years ago is a save made because he got burned terribly by a move and he desperately dived at it. Saves like that are not something you on average want your goalie to be trying to make. You don't see a guy like Carey Price make that save because he's never that far out of position.

Also... Howard has had several .920+ sv% seasons. Mrazek has one. Statistically, Howard is better than Mrazek for his career almost across the board.

They should keep Mrazek but if you can land a Shattenkirk for him and another piece or two, you do it and survive with Howard and Coreau or Van Pottelberge or whoever as the "goalie of the future."

Goalies in the NHL are pretty much like tight ends or QB in fantasy football. If you have an elite one, they will win games for you by themselves. If you don't, they're completely interchangeable.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
You have to think the three guys you want on this team to build around going forward are Larkin, Mrazek, and Mantha. They're not untouchable, but you can tell by the way the narrative is being construed by HSJ that she's not a fan of his for whatever reason, or worse yet, she's a mouthpiece for the organization who aren't fans of his. Everything about this season has been lukewarm and disappointing, albeit unsurprising. Mrazek honestly shouldn't be moved unless it's for an exceptional return, which generally isn't the case for goaltenders. Also, Coreau isn't a very good goalie. Is he ready to be a full time back up? I mean, possibly? But not at the expense of Mrazek.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah. Mrazek at his best isn't exponentially better than Howard at his. Mrazek makes the "and then some" saves because he overrelies on his athleticism. Something like that stick save on Brian Boyle in the playoffs a couple years ago is a save made because he got burned terribly by a move and he desperately dived at it. Saves like that are not something you on average want your goalie to be trying to make. You don't see a guy like Carey Price make that save because he's never that far out of position.

Also... Howard has had several .920+ sv% seasons. Mrazek has one. Statistically, Howard is better than Mrazek for his career almost across the board.

They should keep Mrazek but if you can land a Shattenkirk for him and another piece or two, you do it and survive with Howard and Coreau or Van Pottelberge or whoever as the "goalie of the future."

Goalies in the NHL are pretty much like tight ends or QB in fantasy football. If you have an elite one, they will win games for you by themselves. If you don't, they're completely interchangeable.

Yeah they're bests are similar. Till the playoffs

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
They're not untouchable, but you can tell by the way the narrative is being construed by HSJ that she's not a fan of his for whatever reason, or worse yet, she's a mouthpiece for the organization who aren't fans of his.

You can tell by the way she asks questions to Coreau that she prefers him over Mrazek. Coreau has the great story of having his grandma in the audience and comes across as a very likeable guy that will give you great quotes for your story. Mrazek is very brief and doesn't really answer questions that makes him a fun interview.

Also, don't forget the pieces HSJ wrote about Tatar being a tradeable asset two years ago, or Jimmy Howard being a good trade option for Dallas last season. When it comes to trade scenarios I think it's more her thinking out loud that any Red Wings insider leaking her information.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
You have to think the three guys you want on this team to build around going forward are Larkin, Mrazek, and Mantha. They're not untouchable, but you can tell by the way the narrative is being construed by HSJ that she's not a fan of his for whatever reason, or worse yet, she's a mouthpiece for the organization who aren't fans of his. Everything about this season has been lukewarm and disappointing, albeit unsurprising. Mrazek honestly shouldn't be moved unless it's for an exceptional return, which generally isn't the case for goaltenders. Also, Coreau isn't a very good goalie. Is he ready to be a full time back up? I mean, possibly? But not at the expense of Mrazek.

Holland said he's a big fan of mrazek a year ago or so

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Also, don't forget the pieces HSJ wrote about Tatar being a tradeable asset two years ago, or Jimmy Howard being a good trade option for Dallas last season. When it comes to trade scenarios I think it's more her thinking out loud that any Red Wings insider leaking her information.
The whole "Holland & Co. feeding her info on what to write"-conspiracy was always really silly. Completely goes against what the organization has always been about. It's just that anyone who doesn't write 100% negative articles about Holland is supposedly in his pocket, same as anyone who thinks logically about managements decisions around here is considered a Holland-fanboy.

Note: I think HSJ is terrible.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't see any way Mrazek returns anything close to what he was worth when he was playing well last year, and even then, it wouldn't have been the top pairing D or legit, young C we need, so what's the point?

I agree that it's probably the organization trying to shake him up - I can't see any other reason for depressing the value of an already badly undervalued asset.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You can tell by the way she asks questions to Coreau that she prefers him over Mrazek. Coreau has the great story of having his grandma in the audience and comes across as a very likeable guy that will give you great quotes for your story. Mrazek is very brief and doesn't really answer questions that makes him a fun interview.

I think it's probably a bit of both. HSJ and the like are around the team a lot, they have to develop some sort of working relationship with different people throughout the organization. I wouldn't be surprised if she hears rumblings, tacks on some thoughts of her own, and that's an article.

Also, even if a trade doesn't happen, it doesn't mean the club hasn't quietly floated a guy's name.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The whole "Holland & Co. feeding her info on what to write"-conspiracy was always really silly. Completely goes against what the organization has always been about. It's just that anyone who doesn't write 100% negative articles about Holland is supposedly in his pocket, same as anyone who thinks logically about managements decisions around here is considered a Holland-fanboy.

Note: I think HSJ is terrible.

We've been a mediocre bubble team for several years now and I don't know if I could count past 2-3 articles I've read out of the regulars that ever got real critical of the organization or management. When they carried the team's water on the Cleary fiasco it was pretty bad. Hard to see them as more than mouthpieces after that.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I'm okay with trading Mrazek for the right return. Everyone has a price. I don't think teams will pay the price for him though. I doubt any of our tender's get picked in the expansion draft but I would still protect Mrazek as of today. Could change by tomorrow though :D

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We've been a mediocre bubble team for several years now and I don't know if I could count past 2-3 articles I've read out of the regulars that ever got real critical of the organization or management. When they carried the team's water on the Cleary fiasco it was pretty bad. Hard to see them as more than mouthpieces after that.
Is that because they're mouthpieces or because they're paid to not just lash out with emotional outbursts?

I don't hold any of the Wings beat writers in very high regard but it's actually possible that the doom and gloom attitude of much of hfboards isn't the objective truth, but rather a subjective viewpoint that reeks of entitlement and impatience with seeing a team in decline. Maybe people who make a living writing were actually able to see that Dan Cleary wasn't the sole reason the Wings weren't contenders, didn't destroy the career of all Wings prospects and wasn't actually the devil?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Is that because they're mouthpieces or because they're paid to not just lash out with emotional outbursts?

I don't hold any of the Wings beat writers in very high regard but it's actually possible that the doom and gloom attitude of much of hfboards isn't the objective truth, but rather a subjective viewpoint that reeks of entitlement and impatience with seeing a team in decline. Maybe people who make a living writing were actually able to see that Dan Cleary wasn't the sole reason the Wings weren't contenders, didn't destroy the career of all Wings prospects and wasn't actually the devil?

You're creating a false dichotomy here. How about actually being able to say "signing Dan Cleary was a mistake, which Ken Holland unfortunately did twice." Whether he was the "sole reason" (a ridiculous ****ing standard to be held to by the way) that the Wings were bad is irrelevant. You could bring back Chris Chelios and if he was the only flaw on the roster it still wouldn't be enough to make the Wings not a contender. There's almost no sport that's more team oriented than hockey. A single player will never be the "sole reason" it is or isn't a contender.

What matters is that when puzzling, idiotic moves are made that you can depend on the reporters to call it out instead of acting as cover. You can try to portray every critique of Ken Holland's various flaws as "emotional outbursts" but that's just you being dishonest. You damn well know there's more than that. You damn well know he hasn't been a stellar GM for a good 5 years now and that there's plenty that could be called into question. But who's done that?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

They don't have their own opinions or ask probing questions. When one posts a story, the others literally copy and paste the body and give it a slightly different headline. They are trash, and they only write what the Wings allow them to for the most part. We often have questions we never get insight into as fans, because they do not ever ask the question. I think that's a legitimate gripe.

The best was when a national writer outside the bubble criticized them for not having Mantha up and playing a complete game, and literally within 30 minutes HSJ and Khan had an identical story up about how happy the Wings were with Mantha's play in Grand Rapids. If you think they did that on their own accord, not sure what to tell you.

Last edited:

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Wow, couldn't stomach reading the whole thing. Won't be taking this reporter seriously in the future. Felt like I was reading a rushed homework assignment with nothing but a premise.

Mrazek is smoldering right now anyway. We should've leaned on him to get us more than 2 pts vs BUF/NYR. He should catch fire here as long as our coach wakes up.

Not that I would be against trading anyone at the right time for the right reasons, but the timing of this article is surprising/stupid.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Holland said he's a big fan of mrazek a year ago or so

I mean there you guys have it then. HSJ is just a bad reporter.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014

Talk about far reaching conspiracy theories :shakehead Tatar WAS good trade bait two years ago. Is he worth a **** now? Mrazek is decent trade bait now. Mrazek may turn into a decent goalie, he may not. But trading him isn't a poor option, considering his age and decline this season.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Don't know where I should put this but NHL had an article about coreau and how he "turned his carrer around". How does he do that with a couple games around his belt in his NHL carrer

They talk about one bad year. Didn't know that ruined a carrer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad