Speculation: Trading for Kovalchuk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think we had some discussion about this before and I'll start it again.

What would you guys be ready to give for Ilya Kovalchuk? I know, that would not be easy piece to ship out from the Devils, but I think there's a possibility.

There has been constant rumours that New Jersey Devils owner is in financial problems. Kovalchuk's multi-million contract starts hitting those 11 million years first time at this season, if there ever is a season. The first two seasons were cheap, they cost only 6 million a year, lesser than the actual caphit (6.666M).

But now, the hard years are coming. Because Kovalchuk will earn almost 4,5 million over the caphit the next seasons, this could really become a problem for the Devils. They could lower the payroll to be just over the salary floor, but Kovalchuk's real salary always pushes the costs over it by at least that 4,5 million.

They would consider a trade to make the salary situation healthier if the owner is financially in deep problems. With Ilitch's millions this would be easy cake for us.

Why I'm also suggesting this, is that Kovalchuk is one of the best friends of Datsyuk. If Pavel is considering leaving the NHL to Russia after his contract expires at 2014, playing with Ilya for extra few years could change his mind. They are just deadly combo together, we will see then next time this weekend at Euro Hockey Tour with Russian National team.

So, if we could get Kovalchuk ,that could mean few extra years to keep Pavel here. Nothing but a win-win scenario. Left-handed playmaker and the 2nd best right-handed sniper after Stamkos in the league. Deadly, also defensively well, combo.

Kovalchuk has an NMC until 2015, but maybe he would understand the situation and be interested in playing with Pavel.

What the Devils would want? Let's speculate he is available. Partially this is a salary dump, but let's think is just as a factor that makes the trade possible. Without financial problems Devils would never trade him. So that doesn't lower his price. It just makes him available in this scenario.

I think Devils would be interested some goalie prospects, when they try to replace Brodeur. Also Filppula would fit well to their system. Defensive prospect, replacement winger and a winger prospect and a 1st rounder. Would that do it?

1st round 2013
Valtteri Filppula
Goalie prospect not named Mrazek
Tomas Tatar?
Defensive prospect not named Ouellet or Sproul
Drew Miller (I remember there was some talk about him for a defenceman earlier)

for

Kovalchuk + salary dump from defence

Thoughts?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
1st round 2013 OK
Valtteri Filppula For Kovalchuk? Yes
Goalie prospect not named Mrazek So that's Paterson or McCollum. NJ would want Paterson
Tomas Tatar? OK
Defensive prospect not named Ouellet or Sproul They would only be interested in Smith then
Drew Miller (I remember there was some talk about him for a defenceman earlier)Isn't he a FA after this season?

Kovalchuk takes Filppula's spot so no issue there. Especially if Brunner works out. You have Nyquist and Franzen as the other top 6 forwards. Tatar is a top prospect who would be in demand for a trade like this. But add Smith on top of that?

You have to see what you're losing. Top defensive prospect in Smith, 2nd/3rd best forward prospect in Tatar, Paterson who is impressing in Canada's WJC camp right now. Tatar could be a top 6 forward on most NHL teams right now and could be for Detroit in the future, Smith could play with Kronwall right now on the top pairing, Paterson could be our future starter. All that for 5-6 years of Kovalchuk in his prime (best case scenario) and then stuck with 5-6 years of Kovalchuk in decline with a $6.6 million cap hit.

It would be nice to have a 30-40 goalscorer but you are essentially losing 3 future NHL players if everything pans out.

Especially when Detroit are in a mini-rebuild mode and want to stack up on prospects. Now if we somehow get Dekeyser, another young goalie prospect with potential and continue drafting/developing solid prospects like Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Jurco etc. then losing Smith, Tatar and Paterson wouldn't be too bad.

I don't see NJ trading Kovy anyways, especially after losing Parise. People will say Henrique will soften that blow, but they are delusional.

Basically, I wouldn't rush to say yes.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And that package won't get Kovy, imo. Other teams would be willing to give up more.

For example someone like Vancouver. Kovy with Sedins? That's not even funny.

They don't have the cap space. I think Red Wings is the only team who has rich ownership and enough cap room to do this deal.

And because Kovy has that NMC and we have his friend Pavel, we are maybe the only target, if this ever happens.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Because that package is basically

2 pending UFAs
Tatar
Paterson, just drafted goalie prospect
2013 1st
Smith unless Henkka didn't count him, then Marchenko/Bäckman

That's nowhere enough.

I could see Vancouver giving Lou if NH wants him, couple of firsts, and some roster players on top of that. Maybe even Schneider if that would be what it takes.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Kovalchuk isn't going anywhere,the very idea of him being traded at this point is laughable

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I don't see NJ trading Kovy anyways, especially after losing Parise. People will say Henrique will soften that blow, but they are delusional.

Nailed it on the head there. I would drool over the idea of a Datsyuk - Kovalchuk combo, but I think it would be more feasible to see it on the NJD side, maybe next year, maybe something like Henrique, a couple of draft picks.

crashman

We don't have the assets to make the trade worth it. The Red Wings only chance to acquire Kovy was back when he played for the Thrashers, before his trade to the Devils...the ship has sailed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We don't have the assets to make the trade worth it. The Red Wings only chance to acquire Kovy was back when he played for the Thrashers, before his trade to the Devils...the ship has sailed.

My trade scenario is based on the economy problems that has been reported. How hard is it to understand? Everybody would be telling the same about Hasek at the mid-90's. "They would never trade him!" Then something happened (financial problems for Sabres) and they called "would you take this guy?".

If Kovy ever moves, it happens the same way. The Devils management could force Lamouriello to sell him, then he calls to Western team, "are you interested".

The league is going to keep that cap and floor, and the too high salary floor will start causing financial problems to teams. We already have these teams in problems. And we will see trades, where some big contracts are moved from poor team to rich team.

I'm not saying this would be it, but you never know.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Traded from Atlanta Thrashers with Anssi Salmela and round 2 pick in the 2010 draft (Jon Merrill) to New Jersey Devils for Johnny Oduya, Nicklas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, round 1 pick in the 2010 draft (Kevin Hayes) and round 2 pick in the 2010 draft (Justin Holl)

for what you guys are willing to offer Kovy's value has gone through the roof in the last 4 years. NJ only had to give up 1st, a 2nd, a 5th dman, a small forward who couldn't stick with the Devils in 5 years, and a 3rd line (if he reaches potential) checker prospect. And that was the best the Thrashers could get

I'd give up a 1st, a second and 3 low potential players.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Considering the Devils' financial issues and the upcoming cap crunch most teams will be under, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Plus, Kovalchuk has a NMC, so if he wants to play with Datsyuk, he can play with Datsyuk.

Filppula is a UFA after this season though, so he wouldn't have much value.

I think I've floated the idea of Franzen + for Kovalchuk here before…

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Traded from Atlanta Thrashers with Anssi Salmela and round 2 pick in the 2010 draft (Jon Merrill) to New Jersey Devils for Johnny Oduya, Nicklas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier, round 1 pick in the 2010 draft (Kevin Hayes) and round 2 pick in the 2010 draft (Justin Holl)

for what you guys are willing to offer Kovy's value has gone through the roof in the last 4 years. NJ only had to give up 1st, a 2nd, a 5th dman, a small forward who couldn't stick with the Devils in 5 years, and a 3rd line (if he reaches potential) checker prospect. And that was the best the Thrashers could get

I'd give up a 1st, a second and 3 low potential players.

He was a rental then though

Actual Thought*

By the time the CBA works out both Kovy and Datsyuk will be old men. :shakehead

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
They don't have the cap space. I think Red Wings is the only team who has rich ownership and enough cap room to do this deal.

And because Kovy has that NMC and we have his friend Pavel, we are maybe the only target, if this ever happens.

Since this was brought up on our board too. If the cap hovers around 64-67m, then we do. Just have to dump Ballard for a third or something. That said, I doubt New Jersey is interested as I do not see them rebuilding. They ought to consider it, especially with what Kovy could bring, but it will be a few years before any steps in that direction are underway.

My two cents.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
My trade scenario is based on the economy problems that has been reported. How hard is it to understand?

Well, it's harder to understand when they offered Parise a substantial salary to stay. By not retaining him, they will still be a budget team, but can afford keeping Kovy.

There's good debt and bad debt. A top flight player like Kovalchuk is good debt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->