OT: Trades that almost happened

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Was strolling along Reddit and someone asked about what trades Tampa almost made but never went through. Other than the big ones like Stamkos to NYR, Vinny to MTL, Paul Ranger for Giroux, what are some of the other big ones and maybe not so well known ones that could have gone down but were rejected by a player or a GM/Owner?
A big one that comes to mind is the whole Bishop saga with Calgary trying to get him 3 times and failing all 3 times. once was for a big package supposedly around the 6th overall pick in 2016 but they wouldn't agree to the extension he wanted at 7x7. The next being at the 2017 deadline when they offered a package roughly the same as LA did with Chad Johnson, a pick, and a D prospect from a list of Rasmus Andersson, Adam Fox or Brandon Hickey, but Treliving needed approval from Ken King who was on a flight and Yzerman didn't want to wait and went ahead with the LA deal. The last one being his rights with LA and Bishop wouldn't waive for Calgary so he ended up going to Dallas instead.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
While I don't think there were any actual attempts at negotiations, I do remember the Erik Karlsson trade rumors in the summer of 2018. I know we can all agree we dodged a bullet there.

Reactions: Peacefool

Hammerlik

Feb 13, 2022
Yea imagine we get Karlsson instead of McDonagh
No, you can't make me to! Though who really knows how would EK65 perform here in such a loaded team with his buddy Hedman. Don't think he would fall so much as he did in SJS (he had a decent last season, btw).

But yea, McD all the way!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad