Trades that almost happened but fell down

Burnside_1

May 9, 2006
There was a similar thread a few weeks ago, would be nice if people could contribute again. Always interesting to see what happened behind the scenes.

So i'll start with a couple... Markov, Garon, and two firsts for the rights to draft Kovalchuck. I'm pretty sure a foward was offered but which one I don't know. Atlanta wanted Theodore instead of Garon and the habs said no.

Tony Amonte, Doug Weight,Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick, John Vanbiesbrouck, three No. 1 draft picks, and $12 million $ for Eric Lindros. We all know how this one ended.

A recent one : Theodore, Ribeiro, Dagenais for Khabibulin and Aucoin. Didn't happen because Theo hurt his ankle. Habs fans could confirm the accuracy of that one.

Is it true that the habs offered all of their draft picks in 84 to pittsburgh to draft Mario Lemieux? Read this a couple of times, would be nice if someone knows a bit more about this...

So yeah, if anyone has any, post them here!

Thanks!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
As the story goes, in 1985, backup goalie Bob Froese asked to be traded from Philadelphia. The Kings were interested in a swap for Mark Hardy but the Flyers asked for Jay Wells. The Kings rejected the offer and the discussions ended. Later that week, Pelle Lindbergh was involved in the accident that cost him his life.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Is it true that the habs offered all of their draft picks in 84 to pittsburgh to draft Mario Lemieux? Read this a couple of times, would be nice if someone knows a bit more about this...

It would not surprise me. But look how it worked out? Because we drafted Roy in 3rd round, Richer in 2nd and Corson in 1st.

Muttley*

Selanne for Scott Gomez & Oleg Tverdovsky in 2003. The trade almost happened, but Selanne vetoed it at the last possible minute because he said he didn't want to leave the west coast.

For a plethora of trade scenarios, I suggest you read The New York Posts' Mark Everson & Larry Brooks. Everson has traded Gomez all over North America the last several years: Gomez for Amonte, Gomez for Lecavalier, etc. They're quite fun reads.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
The original Patrick Roy trade was supposed to bring Owen Nolan in Montreal and involve some other guys I don't remember.

By the way, all that's left from that trade was Niklas Sundstrom and he left.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I'm pretty sure Quebec had a pretty huge offer on the table (Forsberg, Hextall, plus a bunch of others) to the Ottawa Senators for Alexandre Daigle in 1993, since they wanted to build their team around a french superstar, not a Swedish player who they didnt think would ever jump over to the NHL.

AgentNaslund*

I got a ton of Pavel Bure ones. Heres one.

Markus Naslund to Ottawa for a 4th rounder. The trade didnt go through because Alex Mogilny got hurt.

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com
There was a similar thread a few weeks ago, would be nice if people could contribute again. Always interesting to see what happened behind the scenes.

So i'll start with a couple... Markov, Garon, and two firsts for the rights to draft Kovalchuck. I'm pretty sure a foward was offered but which one I don't know. Atlanta wanted Theodore instead of Garon and the habs said no.

Tony Amonte, Doug Weight,Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick, John Vanbiesbrouck, three No. 1 draft picks, and $12 million $ for Eric Lindros. We all know how this one ended.

A recent one : Theodore, Ribeiro, Dagenais for Khabibulin and Aucoin. Didn't happen because Theo hurt his ankle. Habs fans could confirm the accuracy of that one.

Thanks!

that was the North Stars.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
The original Patrick Roy trade was supposed to bring Owen Nolan in Montreal and involve some other guys I don't remember.

By the way, all that's left from that trade was Niklas Sundstrom and he left.

Serge Savard had a deal in place with the Av's that would have the Habs receiving Nolan and Fiset for Roy. The day Lacroix called to agree to the deal, Savard was fired and the deal was nixed.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I got a ton of Pavel Bure ones. Heres one.

Markus Naslund to Ottawa for a 4th rounder. The trade didnt go through because Alex Mogilny got hurt.

Speaking of Bure, another Habs deal was Bure and Hedican for Recchi and Malakhov in 1999 but Brian Burke wanted Koivu, which killed the deal.

Other Canadiens centered ones included Pat Lafontaine for Shayne Corson and Claude Lemieux back in the late 80s as well as Yzerman for Mathieu Schneider and others around '94.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ray Bourque was supposedly almost traded to the Flyers for a deal that involved Simon Gagne.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
During Peca's holdout, I remember hearing Peca + Biron to Atlanta for their 1st rd. pick (which turned out to be 1st overall - Kovalchuk).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Selanne for Scott Gomez & Oleg Tverdovsky in 2003. The trade almost happened, but Selanne vetoed it at the last possible minute because he said he didn't want to leave the west coast.

As I remember it, it was supposed to be Selanne (impending UFA), Marco Sturm, and Mike Ricci for Gomez and Tverdovsky. One reason to think this was legit was that Gomez and Tverdovsky (well, moreso Gomez) were healthy scratches the evening of the trade deadline.

Other trades which almost happened:

Dallas trades Roman Turek to Tampa for Darcy Tucker. Tampa's outgoing owner managed to put a veto on this trade. Seems small, but if they get Turek they likely don't trade for Khabibulin.

Apparently the Blackhawks were going to trade Jeremy Roenick for Chris Pronger, but Bill Wirtz didn't want to trade his star player for an unproven commodity. Roenick went for Zhamnov, another player, and a first. Pronger was then dealt for Brendan Shanahan.

The Oilers had a deal in place to trade Mike Comrie to the Ducks in 2003. Edmonton would have received Corey Perry and a first round pick. Kevin Lowe then demanded that Comrie pay back a handsome sum in order to coerce the team to complete the trade.

Sinistrophobia

Dec 3, 2006

For a plethora of trade scenarios, I suggest you read The New York Posts' Mark Everson & Larry Brooks. Everson has traded Gomez all over North America the last several years: Gomez for Amonte, Gomez for Lecavalier, etc. They're quite fun reads.

Well than it really was never going to happen, was it?

This offseason there was a trade that was supposedly close involving Havlat to the Sharks for a goalie. I don't remember the specifics.

Rather Gingerly 1*

With so many false rumours how can we tell which trade really fell thru or was it never true to start?

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Well than it really was never going to happen, was it?

This offseason there was a trade that was supposedly close involving Havlat to the Sharks for a goalie. I don't remember the specifics.
Both GMs apparently agreed to it, but Selanne wouldn't waive his NTC. Seems to fit the bill for a trade that "almost happened."

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh

Thanks!

I believe it was the North Stars who offered all the picks

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

I don't recall that one at all, and given the cap implications, I don't see how the Habs could fit in those players. Ribs and Theo alone had less of a cap hit than Khabibulan, not even considering Aucoin's 4mil cap hit. Considering Dagenais was in the minors, his cap hit is meaningless in the equation. I don't see where the Habs could come up with the 4.5 mill or so of cap room to get that deal done.

Burnside_1

May 9, 2006
I don't recall that one at all, and given the cap implications, I don't see how the Habs could fit in those players. Ribs and Theo alone had less of a cap hit than Khabibulan, not even considering Aucoin's 4mil cap hit. Considering Dagenais was in the minors, his cap hit is meaningless in the equation. I don't see where the Habs could come up with the 4.5 mill or so of cap room to get that deal done.

Mathias Brunet Reported it this summer. Usually pretty reliable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad