GDT: Trades & Free Agency

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Looking at our prospect pool and the guys coming it's extremely wing heavy, I like Bert but I have a hard time justifying 5M+ with term, I think that money is better spent elsewhere

I'd keep Domi because he's going to be cheaper, can play wing and center and he suits our shoot first centers, he also adds some physicality

I'd try to keep Lyubushkin, he shouldn't cost the earth and we know he can partner MO but I'd pass on Edmundson, like the player but 30 year old 6'5 defenseman with back issues are a no no for me

I'd also try trading Liljegren for another young defenseman that's struggling a bit and in a similar situation to him and hope to get lucky, I'm thinking Fabbro or Broberg types

Only way I trade Liljegren is if we get some really good value one way or another. He's had an up and down last 2 seasons but I think he's still very much a capable 18-19 minute defenseman that can give you good play at both ends of the ice. His contract demands shouldn't be overly high either I don't think. He only just turned 25 years old and trading him only having to replace him is going to be rough.

Agreed on the rest though. Only way I re-sign Edmundson is if he agrees to a 1 year deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Only way I trade Liljegren is if we get some really good value one way or another. He's had an up and down last 2 seasons but I think he's still very much a capable 18-19 minute defenseman that can give you good play at both ends of the ice. His contract demands shouldn't be overly high either I don't think. He only just turned 25 years old and trading him only having to replace him is going to be rough.

Agreed on the rest though. Only way I re-sign Edmundson is if he agrees to a 1 year deal.

I don't see Liljegren as a definite no go, but I want to pay him 3rd pair money, he's 25 so I'm not betting on him taking another large step forward developmentally

That's why I wouldn't hate a trade for somebody with some pedigree (like Broberg) that's a couple of years behind where Liljegren is now, I just think we need somebody home grown to become a top 4D to help out financially

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If we look at the trade route, Sanheim is a name I’d be interested in. Unfortunately Briere has made it known his trade demands are pretty outrageous.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't see Liljegren as a definite no go, but I want to pay him 3rd pair money, he's 25 so I'm not betting on him taking another large step forward developmentally

That's why I wouldn't hate a trade for somebody with some pedigree (like Broberg) that's a couple of years behind where Liljegren is now, I just think we need somebody home grown to become a top 4D to help out financially

For me the only way you trade him in a players deal is for a clear upgrade. Like say a Parayko or Weegar kind of addition maybe. I don't think Broberg or Fabbro fit what I'd be going for since they are more or less the same level of players or just pure downgrades now. Fabbro has had some tough time recently and Broberg hasn't been able to do much (he is younger). I'd just rather hold on to him at that point.

Even if he stalls to what he is now, that's a solid player likely getting appropriate money for what he is.

Last edited:

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
For me the only way you trade him in a players deal is for a clear upgrade. Like say a Parayko kind of addition maybe. I don't think Broberg or Fabbro fit what I'd be going for since they are more or less the same level of players. Fabbro has had some tough time recently and Broberg hasn't been able to do much either. I'd just rather hold on to him at that point.

Even if he stalls to what he is now, that's a solid player likely getting appropriate money for what he is.
Would you do our 1st + Liljegren for Sanheim?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Probably not? I'd want a right handed shot. I like Sanheim and I think he can play RD but I'm pretty sure he's much better LD. Either way, he'd be a quality target though and in line with what it would take for me to move Liljegren.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
For me the only way you trade him in a players deal is for a clear upgrade. Like say a Parayko or Weegar kind of addition maybe. I don't think Broberg or Fabbro fit what I'd be going for since they are more or less the same level of players or just pure downgrades now. Fabbro has had some tough time recently and Broberg hasn't been able to do much (he is younger). I'd just rather hold on to him at that point.

You can find bottom pair defenseman, look at Benoit that's why I'm willing to roll the dice trying to upgrade Liljegren

I think I can find another guy who can do Liljegren's job cheap, tough to get a top 4D without it costing an arm and a leg though
Yes

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You can find bottom pair defenseman, look at Benoit that's why I'm willing to roll the dice trying to upgrade Liljegren

I think I can find another guy who can do Liljegren's job cheap, tough to get a top 4D without it costing an arm and a leg though

He's played 19:40 TOI/G this season. That's not a straight up bottom pairing defenseman and you can easily do far worse. Not to mention giving up on someone that could very well improve further in a healthy season.

I think giving up on him is a big time mistake but I'm all for improvement.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'd be willing to give JT another couple of years but he's going to be paid like a good 3rd line center, not a top 6 forward

I think we can find another center but finding two will be a pain in the butt
I like JT but I really want another 2-way center (like Matthews or O'Reilly) for matchup purposes instead of a purely offensive guy.

Having a fourth liner like Kampf as your shutdown center means you're practically giving away shifts with almost zero offensive push back for close to 20 minutes a game.

Ideally, Matthews line should be the matchup line given that he and Marner are excellent defensively, but for some reason we rarely, if ever, use them that way.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’d love to swap Liljegren with Schneider. Liljegren is the better player today but Schneider has the tools we’re looking to add on the blueline with his shot blocking and physicality.

Montour would be a nice addition as well. Plays gritty even though he doesn’t have the size but can move the puck well, quarterback our PP and isn’t a liability defensively.

McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Schneider

If we could get that bottom 4, it has the makings of a real good blueline.

I’d consider re-signing Lyubushkin as well.

Rielly - Lyubushkin
McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Schneider

Wouldn’t be bad.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's played 19:40 TOI/G this season. That's not a straight up bottom pairing defenseman and you can easily do far worse. Not to mention giving up on someone that could very well improve further in a healthy season.

I think giving up on him is a big time mistake but I'm all for improvement.

I'm willing to admit this could blow up in my face, but I've seen enough to believe he's not going to become a trusted top 4D and I'm willing to take risks trying to find one

No more bandaids, the cores in its prime I don't think we can wait any longer
I like JT but I really want another 2-way center (like Matthews or O'Reilly) for matchup purposes instead of a purely offensive guy.

Having a fourth liner like Kampf as your shutdown center means you're practically giving away shifts with almost zero offensive push back for close to 20 minutes a game.

Ideally, Matthews line should be the matchup line given that he and Marner are excellent defensively, but for some reason we rarely, if ever, use them that way.
Wennberg, he's somebody you can trust against good offensive players and he will give you 35-45 points

Reactions: SprDaVE

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I'm willing to admit this could blow up in my face, but I've seen enough to believe he's not going to become a trusted top 4D and I'm willing to take risks trying to find one

No more bandaids, the cores in its prime I don't think we can wait any longer

Wennberg, he's somebody you can trust against good offensive players and he will give you 35-45 points
Wennberg would be a solid addition, but he’ll probably get a similar deal he’s on now which is around 4.5 million dollars. Not sure if he’s really worth that. I’d consider trading for Hayton using Robertson as trade bait and saving 1-1.5 million at least.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Everybody wants to trade Kampf, but I for one have enjoyed watching him and Dewar play together. Whether it's with Reaves tagging along or somebody else, we've finally found a 4th line that really clicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad