Trademarks Questions

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
For all intensive purposes, who owns the trademarks on defunct NHL teams? Does the Colorado Avalanche own the Quebec Nordiques, Phoenix Coyotes own the Winnipeg Jets etc.?

The reason I was wondering is the WHA's site has the 1972-73 logo of the Winnipeg Jets in their flash opening. I was wondering how they could do that if Phoenix (or the NHL for that matter) owned the trademarks for the logos of the Winnipeg Jets.

Big#D

I'm pretty sure they do. I think that the Devils still own the right to the Colorado Rockies name, not that it stopped those ba$tards in MLB from stealing it. I'm not sure if it matters though when it is a different league/sport.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
With the weird way the San Jose Sharks came into the league, who owns the Cleveland Barons trademark, San Jose or Dallas?
I don't have a clue as to trademark ownership (probably the League or the team) but, since the Sharks, based on ownership history, could be thought of as more of a decendant of the Barons than the Stars would be...

But, there is a lot to know about trademark rules: Was the Baron's logo trademarked? Was it renewed? What about the Barons AHL logo that preceeded the NHL team? Or the AHL team that recently moved? Were any of those renewed? Was it the logo or the name as well that was trademarked? I assume the Sharks currently own some sort of "Baron's" trademark since they have used it in Cleveland, but are they not renewing it with the move and name change of their Worcester AHL team?

Last edited:

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
For all intensive purposes, who owns the trademarks on defunct NHL teams? Does the Colorado Avalanche own the Quebec Nordiques, Phoenix Coyotes own the Winnipeg Jets etc.?

The reason I was wondering is the WHA's site has the 1972-73 logo of the Winnipeg Jets in their flash opening. I was wondering how they could do that if Phoenix (or the NHL for that matter) owned the trademarks for the logos of the Winnipeg Jets.

The NHL definitely owns the trademarks for the Jets logos.

Searching for "winnipeg jets" here returns 3 results:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=2si79f.1.1

The first two are owned by the NHL, the third is expired (I think it refers to the old, old logo, the red and white WHA one)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->