Trade Winds in Nets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Flyers’ Trade Winds

It is just a matter of time before the Flyers’ trade Dominik Hasek. The team is in a desirable position as both Martin Gerber and Mika Noronen are having great training camps. Although Martin Gerber is unsigned the Flyers have indicated that they want to get a deal completed before the season starts.

The Flyers dilemma is when to trade Dominik. His salary of 4 million a year is not high considering he is still one of the league’s elite netminders. The issue is that the Flyers can conceivably compete for the Stanley Cup with him in nets, despite their weakness up front. However, this formula did not work in the past. Although Dominik was terrific in the playoffs, the Flyers have never had the scoring to push them to the finals.

Although the Flyers are publicly stating they will resign Dominik to a long-term contract, that is highly unlikely considering that both Noronen and Gerber are potential stars in the waiting and resigning Dominik to a contract will cost them about 5 million annually. The other alternative would be trading either Noronen or Gerber for some young scoring help but Flyer management are not thrilled about doing that.

Odds are that Dominik will not be traded until close to the trading deadline when a team steps up to solidify their goaltending before the playoffs start. The St. Louis Blues are rumoured to have offered Gauthier and a high draft pick but Flyer management deny such an offer was made after the GM’s met for lunch late last week.

“Quain (Blues GM) and I are friends and we had an opportunity to get together for lunch. That’s all. I’m sure they (Blues) think they’re set in goal despite last year’s disappointment in the playoffs†said the Flyer’s GM. “When you have a group of forwards like they do and a great defense let by Chris Pronger you can overcome mdiocre goaltending.â€

GM Bruins

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Claudio Mannarino said:
Flyers’ Trade Winds

“Quain (Blues GM) and I are friends and we had an opportunity to get together for lunch. That’s all. I’m sure they (Blues) think they’re set in goal despite last year’s disappointment in the playoffs” said the Flyer’s GM. “When you have a group of forwards like they do and a great defense let by Chris Pronger you can overcome mediocre goaltending.”

"I'm sure they (Blues) think they're set in goal despite last year's disappointment in the playoffs"....

"Mediocre goaltending"...

Ouch - I heard that.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
General Manager Nick Quain responded to rumours circulating out of Philadelphia, in particular those generated by Flyers' General Manager Claudio Mannarino.

"We have no interest in the Dominator", stated Quain. "These same rumours surrounding our goaltending have been circulating for years, but Mike (Dunham) and Marty (Biron) are our guys - as they have been for over three years".

"I suppose this is a desperate act, by a desperate man.", added Quain on why Mannarino would float such fare publicly. "I suppose he's trying to create a market for Hasek. It's no secret he's been trying to trade him for quite some time, and last I heard an 8th round draft pick was his highest offer. With the financial mess that franchise is in, I have no doubt anyone who makes more than the league average shouldn't be getting too comfortable in Philadelphia."

"The market for goalies sucks - everyone knows that. The idea I would move Denis (Gauthier) in that sort of deal at this point is just silly. I've never uttered his name to any GM since acquiring him, so to have another GM manufacture something like this, is really unfair to the player."

On his lunch with Mannarino, Quain quipped. "Of course I picked up the tab", he chuckled, "His team is broke, and if Mannarino is buying, it means we're brown bagging it. I felt like a good meal. But it was fun. His views on running a franchise are always good for a chuckle. It gives me perspective on making sure I never put my team in the position the Flyers are in right now. It gives me the shivers quite frankly".

As to the rumours circulating out of St. Louis that Quain has indeed been working the phone, he didn't deny there have been talks.

"I'm always looking to improve our team, and we certainly get a lot of calls with interest in some of our younger players. But I'm in no rush. We've made several moves in the last few months that have positioned us to be better this year. We're more likely to wait and see how the season unfolds before making any moves."

But with his customary wry grin Quain did add the following as he walked out of the press conference, "...but I'll never say never."

Mandaou

Mar 6, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
War of Words

War of Words

Disappointed by Nick Quain’s comments, Claudio Mannarino held a short press conference. He wanted to go on record stating that he did not spread the rumours about Hasek going to St. Louis. He also jokingly added that if he knew Quain was picking up the tab he would have went to a more pricey restaurant, after all the Blues can afford it.

When asked about what Quain meant by “he didn’t want to run his franchise as the Flyersâ€, Mannarino, eased the seat back and smiled. “I guess he means he doesn’t want to get in a situation where he loses $10 mil or so for a few years in a row like the Flyers did a few years back trying to win a cup.†When told the Blues are projected to lose $15million this year, Mannarino said they both might have to skip lunch next time.

“Look, Quain was playing with you guys. We’re long time friends and any trade discussions will be strickly kept confidential. I don’t know where the media gets their information. The Blues and Flyers did not discuss Hasek going to St. Louis for Gauthier…..†When pressed who did they discuss going from the Blues, the GM stopped the conference and said he needed to get back to work.

Dr.Sens(e) said:
General Manager Nick Quain responded to rumours circulating out of Philadelphia, in particular those generated by Flyers' General Manager Claudio Mannarino.

"We have no interest in the Dominator", stated Quain. "These same rumours surrounding our goaltending have been circulating for years, but Mike (Dunham) and Marty (Biron) are our guys - as they have been for over three years".

"I suppose this is a desperate act, by a desperate man.", added Quain on why Mannarino would float such fare publicly. "I suppose he's trying to create a market for Hasek. It's no secret he's been trying to trade him for quite some time, and last I heard an 8th round draft pick was his highest offer. With the financial mess that franchise is in, I have no doubt anyone who makes more than the league average shouldn't be getting too comfortable in Philadelphia."

"The market for goalies sucks - everyone knows that. The idea I would move Denis (Gauthier) in that sort of deal at this point is just silly. I've never uttered his name to any GM since acquiring him, so to have another GM manufacture something like this, is really unfair to the player."

On his lunch with Mannarino, Quain quipped. "Of course I picked up the tab", he chuckled, "His team is broke, and if Mannarino is buying, it means we're brown bagging it. I felt like a good meal. But it was fun. His views on running a franchise are always good for a chuckle. It gives me perspective on making sure I never put my team in the position the Flyers are in right now. It gives me the shivers quite frankly".

As to the rumours circulating out of St. Louis that Quain has indeed been working the phone, he didn't deny there have been talks.

"I'm always looking to improve our team, and we certainly get a lot of calls with interest in some of our younger players. But I'm in no rush. We've made several moves in the last few months that have positioned us to be better this year. We're more likely to wait and see how the season unfolds before making any moves."

But with his customary wry grin Quain did add the following as he walked out of the press conference, "...but I'll never say never."

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
On the heels of Flyer's General Manager Claudio Mannarino's comments about the Blues being poised to lose $15 million this season, Blues General Manager Nick Quain was stunned to hear such a claim being made.

"He said that? Really?". Quain's eye brows quickly raised and he snickered, "Well, I guess that kind of math is why the Flyers finances are where they are."

When pressed about the Blues state of finances, Quain quickly pointed out the Blues were projected to reap well in excess of $40,000 million in revenue this season conservatively. Last season the Blues were able to accomplish that with three star players, and the team now has seven.

That conservative ticket revenue projection combined with Endorsement commitments, and the Blues should easily limit their regular season losses to less than $5 million before any playoff revenue is realized. If the Blues advance to the second round of the playoffs - not a guarantee, but something they've accomplished with inferior teams the past two seasons - the team will turn a profit.

"I suppose that's why the Flyers are where they are. I think it raised some eye brows when people saw the Flyers didn't sign any endorsement deals this offseason. How an HFNHL General Manager can do that with a straight face and keep his job is beyond me. But that's Philly's problem, not ours."

"And to think, that guy is supposed to be an accountant. Finance is his supposed strength. God help him. God help all the fans in Philadelphia..."

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dr.Sens(e) said:
When pressed about the Blues state of finances, Quain quickly pointed out the Blues were projected to reap well in excess of $40,000 million in revenue this season conservatively.

$40,000 million == $40 Billion??? I think only Bill Gates and Rupert Murdoch earn that much... Shizen, thats a lot of money!!! I hope you mean $40million, Mr Quain.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Donga said:
$40,000 million == $40 Billion??? I think only Bill Gates and Rupert Murdoch earn that much... Shizen, thats a lot of money!!! I hope you mean $40million, Mr Quain.

And here I am taking shots at Claudio for HIS math - Yikes!! Yes indeed, $40 million. Nice catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->