Rumor: Trade Thread XVIII: Brace Yourselves. Friday Is Coming.

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yes, let's put their top talented RW on the left and, put their top talented LW on the right, sounds good.

Why, so Stewart can be the first line RW? So he can play with Nash or Stastny? This makes zero sense.

who is "their" in both occurrences of this sentence? Please be a little more clear.

I'm sorry if I plopped them in the wrong spot of Capgeek. Would it make you feel better if i switched them?:facepalm:

EDIT: Wait a second.... who are you implying that is out of position?

All of those players except Zucc are in their natural positions (Stewart is a RW, Nash is a LW, Zucc has been playing RW all season here)

Here, baby steps just for you ;)

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m) TOP LINE, top end players
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Kreider ($2.000m) Our current top line, which is actually a second line, but Hags slotted in for Nash since his two linemates are supposedly going to be gone next season
Benoit Pouliot ($1.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.900m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.750m) Our current 3rd line which is playing like wildfire
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m) Our current 4th line sans Boyle
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($3.500m)
John Moore ($1.500m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Justin Falk ($1.024m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,044,583; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $55,417

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What defensive system does Trotz use? I mean, I just have a hard time believing Preds fans were so upset about trading a bottom-pairing defenseman.

The Preds play a system closer to what Tortorella preached while he was here. Klein isn't a bad defender. He's been regularly getting ~20 minutes per night for 3+ seasons with Nashville. It wasn't until the Preds added Seth Jones that he saw his minutes decline.

Calling him a bottom-pairing defender is definitely more than a little disingenuous.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Preds play a system closer to what Tortorella preached while he was here. Klein isn't a bad defender. He's been regularly getting ~20 minutes per night for 3+ seasons with Nashville. It wasn't until the Preds added Seth Jones that he saw his minutes decline.

Calling him a bottom-pairing defender is definitely more than a little disingenuous.

Well, our guys took a long time to adjust, I don't see why Klein shouldn't be given more than 7 games. He's made J. Moore a better defender while adjusting to a new team. I definitely think it's naive to determine "what you see is what you get" after such a short time.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
who is "their" in both occurrences of this sentence? Please be a little more clear.

I'm sorry if I plopped them in the wrong spot of Capgeek. Would it make you feel better if i switched them?:facepalm:

EDIT: Wait a second.... who are you implying that is out of position?

All of those players except Zucc are in their natural positions (Stewart is a RW, Nash is a LW, Zucc has been playing RW all season here)

Here, baby steps just for you ;)

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m) TOP LINE, top end players
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Kreider ($2.000m) Our current top line, which is actually a second line, but Hags slotted in for Nash since his two linemates are supposedly going to be gone next season
Benoit Pouliot ($1.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.900m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.750m) Our current 3rd line which is playing like wildfire
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m) Our current 4th line sans Boyle
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Falk ($1.024m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------

lol,

"their" refers to the Rangers. Their top right wing.

What wing has Nash been playing on all season? He can play both, yes, but he is a right wing here and now. He is better on the right.

You have Kreider on the right, where has he played his whole career in NY? LEFT.

Zucc is a RW, yes, and he wouldn't be getting 3rd line duties or minutes as you have him in that line-up.

I don't think I am the one who needs baby steps.

Edit: lol our top line:

hahaha, okay?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
The proper move is trading them but its not the accepted move by a major portion of the fan base. Callahan has one good game and he is worth $47M. Its a joke. Even the media is hoping the Rangers give him the money because Callahan is a good guy. A majority of the hockey are good guys. All of them are great guys. Not like in the other sports. Management is scared because of the fan backlash.

If management makes the right moves then they don't need to fear backlash, because a winner on the ice breads happy fans. Was any TML fan happy to see Wendel Clark go? However, Mats Sundin quickly became one of the most beloved Leafs of all time.

Whether management is forced to let him walk during the offseason, or he's traded for some kind of quality future part, the fans will need to focus on someone else. You won't make them all happy, but if they've come back after the lockout, they'll come back after trading Callahan.

I'm personally done with mediocrity. Other organizations have traded major assets and gotten quality young talent in return. The Rangers should do the same and continue building young and from within.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
lol,

"their" refers to the Rangers. Their top right wing.

What wing has Nash been playing on all season? He can play both, yes, but he is a right wing here and now. He is better on the right.

You have Kreider on the right, where has he played his whole career in NY? LEFT.

Zucc is a RW, yes, and he wouldn't be getting 3rd line duties or minutes as you have him in that line-up.

I don't think I am the one who needs baby steps.

Edit: lol our top line:

hahaha, okay?

My god, technicalities bro...

FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.000m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.900m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.750m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Falk ($1.024m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------

It doesn't matter if you're on the 2nd or 3rd line with AV because he rolls them with about the same minutes per game, no?

Regardless, My thoughts:
- LW looks a little weak in depth
- Trying to avoid breaking up the bottom 6, as they've been performing admirably.
- RW is pretty damned stacked
- C depth is actually kind of nice, if Stastny can actually be a 1C

Last edited:

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Well, our guys took a long time to adjust, I don't see why Klein shouldn't be given more than 7 games. He's made J. Moore a better defender while adjusting to a new team. I definitely think it's naive to determine "what you see is what you get" after such a short time.

Agreed, Klein is solid defensive D-man who skates well. He really is strictly defensive though, his 1st thought is always move backwards.

I agree that once we see him adjust to the system better and better, this guy could be really good for us.

SupersonicMonkey*

With no hockey right now and about 2 hours until the Olympics are back on the air. Hypothesizing...

Girardi to COL for McGinn and Barrie
Callahan to STL for Stewart and Schmaltz

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
McGinn - Stastny - Stewart
Pouliot - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller/D.Moore - Fast/Dorsett/Carcillo

McDonagh - Barrie
Staal - Stralman
J.Moore - Klein
Falk

Lundqvist
Talbot

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If they can lock up the right side with Girardi, Stralman, Klein for decent cap hits, I could care less about blocking McIlrath. Injuries are going to happen, he'll get his chance to force management's hand. And when he does, you have a valuable trading chip that you acquired for nothing but cash. The Red Wings do this better than anyone. Many accuse them of over-ripening their prospects, but why would you ice an inferior lineup simply to give a young player a shot? Make them earn it.

Exactly. I'd much rather have G-Stralman-Klein, who have all proven to be very viable options this year.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
My god, technicalities bro...

FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($2.000m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.900m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.750m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Falk ($1.024m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------

It doesn't matter if you're on the 2nd or 3rd line with AV because he rolls them with about the same minutes per game, no?

Regardless, My thoughts:
- LW looks a little weak in depth
- Trying to avoid breaking up the bottom 6, as they've been performing admirably.
- RW is pretty damned stacked
- C depth is actually kind of nice, if Stastny can actually be a 1C

You'll need a 13th F for 55k. I'm not a CBA geek but really.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not a bargain, but less overpaid. In 2-4 years his contract will be in line to what he brings IMO.

But right now he is definitely overpaid compared to what he brings.
Less overpaid? Look at his stats the past few years...he has really come on and been a steady defenseman. He endured a bulk of the load last year and minutes. He hasnt hurt us at all imo. He plays a sound game and adds toughness...albeit he hasnt fought like some here may define toughness but he absolutely adds the tough factor. And he has had an impact on John Moore. Moore has been more active from the back, more aggressive and comfortable.

Girardi will likely get $5.5 million AAV as a #2-3 defenseman in this league. Klein shows signs of a #4 when he is on his game but he is a safe bet #5. He is making $2.9 million and we consider that overpaid?....The cap is getting to your heads too much

BarbaraAlphanse

With no hockey right now and about 2 hours until the Olympics are back on the air. Hypothesizing...

Girardi to COL for McGinn and Barrie
Callahan to STL for Stewart and Schmaltz

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
McGinn - Stastny - Stewart
Pouliot - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller/D.Moore - Fast/Dorsett/Carcillo

McDonagh - Barrie
Staal - Stralman
J.Moore - Klein
Falk

Lundqvist
Talbot

Girardi for McGinn and Barrie?

*Closes laptop... walks to GW Bridge... Jumps*

BarbaraAlphanse

Don't get the love for Barrie around here, AT ALL.

Me neither. But people have their favorites. I love Zibanejad. Wouldn't mind having him. He could be a bust for all I know. And as someone pointed out to me about 10 pages ago, this is a board. I just hope management isn't as infatuated with him as 70% of this board (rough estimation) is.

BarbaraAlphanse

Not only do I think that Callahan, nor Girardi will be traded, I think we'll be buyers at the deadline too.

I see Hagelin being moved by the start of next season. He doesn't fit the coach's style whatsoever. He needs to be slotted down a line but Poo is blocking him. Poo earned his spot for this season. He had every opportunity when he wasn't playing well... now I figure he'll be near impossible to move off the starting 9. We'll likely get a top 6 winger via trade. Hags is odd man out in that scenario.

He got put on team Sweden. His value is relatively high. Really like him but he seems like a casualty of the new system.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I see Hagelin being moved by the start of next season. He doesn't fit the coach's style whatsoever. He needs to be slotted down a line but Poo is blocking him. Poo earned his spot for this season. He had every opportunity when he wasn't playing well... now I figure he'll be near impossible to move off the starting 9. We'll likely get a top 6 winger via trade. Hags is odd man out in that scenario.

Wow man, you think Hagelin will be moved? You just want to see change. You just want to see roster moves. Shiny new toy syndrome.

SupersonicMonkey*

A 22 year old developing offensive defenseman, who is currently over .5 points per game, +15.

Who needs those kinds of players.

BarbaraAlphanse

A 22 year old developing offensive defenseman, who is currently over .5 points per game, +15.

Who needs those kinds of players.

He's a project. Let's go trade a 1st pairing defender for him.

SupersonicMonkey*

He's a project. Let's go trade a 1st pairing defender for him.

I suggested trading for a 25 year old winger with size, speed, and grit, and a 22 year old offensive defenseman.

"He's a project". What 22 year old defenseman is not a project.

Dan Girardi may not sign. He may want to go to free agency.

Getting pieces that can contribute now and the future for a potential rental.

BarbaraAlphanse

I suggested trading for a 25 year old winger with size, speed, and grit, and a 22 year old offensive defenseman.

"He's a project". What 22 year old defenseman is not a project.

Dan Girardi may not sign. He may want to go to free agency.

Getting pieces that can contribute now and the future for a potential rental.

25 year old winger who's highest NHL offensive output has been 25 points in a season.

A 22 year old defenseman that may or may not develop offensively.

And we trade a guy who is paired up against the toughest opponents we face, plays 22+ minutes a game, and is key to the success of our penalty kill.

That is, and would forever be, a top 3 worst trade in Rangers history.

Nightshift

Mar 22, 2013
What contending team is going to move a top 2 or 3 Dman for Girardi? Seems needless unless someone has an overflow of offensive D. Better off moving him for the most talented forward(s) you can get. It's going to sting badly if we lose Girardi either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->