Rumor: Trade Thread XVIII: Brace Yourselves. Friday Is Coming.

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah, but by your own logic, he's going to look like a bargain in a couple years. Right? I thought long-term contracts were the trendy talking point around here?

Not a bargain, but less overpaid. In 2-4 years his contract will be in line to what he brings IMO.

But right now he is definitely overpaid compared to what he brings.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not a bargain, but less overpaid. In 2-4 years his contract will be in line to what he brings IMO.

Sorry, I get that you don't like defensive d-men but the guy is a #4/5. Exactly what the team needed. He is a Defensive RD.

2.9 million is a good contract for what he brings and the team has played MUCH better with him back there settling Moore down (who also has looked much better playing with Klein).

He was a #4/5 in Nashville. He is a #4/5 in NY.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I know it isn't the "sexiest" line-up ,but would people be all that upset going into next season with something like this:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($1.750m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Mats Zuccarello ($3.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.800m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)
Brandon Bollig ($1.200m) / Marcel Goc ($2.500m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.750m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Matt Greene ($2.500m)
John Moore ($1.500m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,495,000; BONUSES: $1,295,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,605,000

Sign Goc as a 3/4c. That allows AV to have a solid defensive center who can provide some offense. Very underrated player around the league.

I'm a fan of Bollig and what he brings. He can still play the game and bring some nastiness to the team.

Carcillo has been pretty good. I'd bring him back as a 12th/13th forward. Should be cheap.

I have always like Matt Greene. Solid, hard-hitting, no nonsense defensive d-man. I think he will get a shorter term contract due to the injuries he has had. Even is he plays 40 games, which would be a stretch, that allows for 42 games of slowly developing Allen/McIlrath which is a good thing.

I like the look of the 3rd line. Speed, 2-way play, Miller provides some size.

Thoughts?

That lineup is OK, but I wouldn't bother with turning over the 4th line. Carcillo-Moore-Dorsett/Boyle is more than sufficient for a 4th line, and they are at the same, if not lower cap hits than you specified in your armchair roster anyway. Besides that, you're depending on the 1/2 center punch to be Step and Brass? Step is a 2C, Brass a 3C... You're asking them to overproduce, and that is not realistic in this case. You're also depending on not one, but TWO (2) prospects to be ready by next season? I am doubtful

THis is the roster I made up last night. It keeps most of the team together, and replaces a few parts that most likely won't be here next season. Note, I said A FEW. the roster is mostly the same. I gave Poo, D. Moore, Stralman, Kreider, J. Moore, Zucc raises, and then acquired Stewart and Stastny. Also kept the 4th line intact, and cut out Boyle

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Paul Stastny ($6.800m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Kreider ($2.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.700m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.750m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($3.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,120,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,479,167

Here's an updated roster I made earlier today:

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Kreider ($2.000m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.900m) / Mats Zuccarello ($3.750m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.500m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($3.500m)
Justin Falk ($1.024m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,044,583; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $55,417

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Sorry, I get that you don't like defensive d-men but the guy is a #4/5. Exactly what the team needed. He is a Defensive RD.

2.9 million is a good contract for what he brings and the team has played MUCH better with him back there settling Moore down (who also has looked much better playing with Klein).

He was a #4/5 in Nashville. He is a #4/5 in NY.

I'd say he is a 4/5 on a mediocre team. But the Rangers want to be a contender, and Klein is at best a 5/6 on a contender.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

The irony is that Klein was given that contract for the same reasons people advocate giving out long term deals around here. He's playing great, so give him more than he's worth because he'll earn it in the long run and look like a bargain.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I -HATE- the notion that Klein is some sort of core piece that cannot be moved for any reason. He is significantly worse than Girardi and Strålman, and considering that Strålman will likely only make ~$1M more than Klein it is easy to see who of the two should be moved if a move becomes necessary - Klein!

Imagine we sign Strålman this summer to a 4x4 contract. Will he be immovable? Of course not! He will still have more value than Klein on the trade market, and Klein isn't devoid of value.

Why would we give up assets for free so that McIlrath has a spot soon? Makes no sense. If he proves good enough, then you make a move and trade someone (Klein!). We never gave McDonagh a spot - he forced our hand and Roszival was traded.

I don't understand it either. So much praise for such a crappy player.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'd say he is a 4/5 on a mediocre team. But the Rangers want to be a contender, and Klein is at best a 5/6 on a contender.

This just is not true. Klein can play competent Top-4 minutes when asked.

He's had 3 or 4 blown coverages in the 7 games he's played for us. He's still getting used to his defensive partner in Moore who, by the way, plays out of position quite often. Other than those blown plays, he's looked quite solid and steady. I guess I don't get why you're so against Klein.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
A crappy player? What about the guy that we traded for him? Was he a good player?

I don't even care about MDZ anymore. I wish him the best, but he's gone.

The fact of the matter is that Klein is a competent 4/5 RD. Those don't exactly grow on trees. Why people feel the need to crap on him is beyond me. He's made a couple defensive errors adjusting to a less than defensively stellar partner and a new system/coaching staff. Even so, he's still even in +/- since coming here.

If he keeps making mistakes after 20 games, by all means dump on him. But, in my opinion, he's been pretty solid, especially when you factor in that his partner plays a chicken-with-its-head-cut-off style in the defensive zone.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
So in one post, you managed to get rid of our best forward of this year who will come at an excellent value, our captain, our 2nd line center, a top-6 LW who is one of the best values in the league, a guy who is currently lighting it up for an extremely cheap price (albeit he is enigmatic) and a guy that is HUGE in our locker room and replaced them all with absolute ****. This team is infinitely worse than our current team, will likely carry a larger cap hit, and has less chemistry.

Well,
It seems Captain Callahan is packing his own bags. Not to sure I'd go so far as calling them ++++. As for chemistry, I've never seen them play together , so I couldn't comment.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

The fact of the matter is that Klein is a competent 4/5 RD. Those don't exactly grow on trees. Why people feel the need to crap on him is beyond me.
It's easy. His last name isn't Kleinsson. Klein has been a solid addition and has settled down the 3rd pair.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

The fact of the matter is that Klein is a competent 4/5 RD. Those don't exactly grow on trees. Why people feel the need to crap on him is beyond me. He's made a couple defensive errors adjusting to a less than defensively stellar partner and a new system/coaching staff. Even so, he's still even in +/- since coming here.

If he keeps making mistakes after 20 games, by all means dump on him. But, in my opinion, he's been pretty solid, especially when you factor in that his partner plays a chicken-with-its-head-cut-off style in the defensive zone.

I agree with you, just so you know. I like Klein for what he is, Our #5 defenseman, with a working brain and a solid work ethic

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
This post makes no sense, because he's already playing the 5th D spot...

So I guess we're a contender?

I'm fine with Klein on the third pairing. It's the notion that we could lose Girardi or Strålman without a replacement as Kelin could step into the top-4 that bothers me.

He is fine currently - if a bit expensive. But he should be the first to go in a cap crunch is all I'm saying.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
It's easy. His last name isn't Kleinsson. Klein has been a solid addition and has settled down the 3rd pair.

It has nothing to do with nationality, but with style of play.

And I don't know about "settled down", I'm not feeling much safer with Moore-Klein than I did with Moore-MDZ.

Klein makes some painful breakout passes that gets them into trouble.

E: I double checked, and his PDO was actually pretty reasonable. A +/- 0 is pretty much expected from how they've been playing after a huge boost from the Penguins game.

Maybe I'm too hard on Klein, but he just isn't good enough at moving the puck to fit into the top-4 on a contender.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Am I the only one who thinks we should give Klein more time with his new team? :help:

Why would he become a new player because he is on the Rangers? He is playing just like he was in Nashville - looking "solid" while consistently tilting the ice in favor of the opposing team.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
That lineup is OK, but I wouldn't bother with turning over the 4th line. Carcillo-Moore-Dorsett/Boyle is more than sufficient for a 4th line, and they are at the same, if not lower cap hits than you specified in your armchair roster anyway. Besides that, you're depending on the 1/2 center punch to be Step and Brass? Step is a 2C, Brass a 3C... You're asking them to overproduce, and that is not realistic in this case. You're also depending on not one, but TWO (2) prospects to be ready by next season? I am doubtful

THis is the roster I made up last night. It keeps most of the team together, and replaces a few parts that most likely won't be here next season. Note, I said A FEW. the roster is mostly the same. I gave Poo, D. Moore, Stralman, Kreider, J. Moore, Zucc raises, and then acquired Stewart and Stastny. Also kept the 4th line intact, and cut out Boyle

Here's an updated roster I made earlier today:

Yes, let's put their top talented RW on the left and, put their top talented LW on the right, sounds good.

Why, so Stewart can be the first line RW? So he can play with Nash or Stastny? This makes zero sense.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Nash - Stepan - Kreider
Vanek - Stastny - Stewart
Fast/Zucc - Miller/Lindberg - Hrivik
Carcillo - Boyle/Miller - Dorsett

Just a thought after dumping some salary, possibly not resigning/trading a couple of players (Pouliot, Brassard, Zucc(?$), Moore, Hagelin, Boyle) .. Not sure of the dollars matching up to fit Vanek in.. Young third line, good combo of speed and size... On paper anyway..

So, you expect FOUR prospects to just come in and work?

Again, it DOES NOT work like this. You let prospects bust their ass into the team. You don't hand a spot, much less 4 spots, to weak prospects that have minimal NHL experience.

And we thought Sather was a horrible GM.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm not saying he'll change as player, just that I value the opinions of NSH fans of him higher than fans who have had him on their team for 7 games. Obviously some of you have have likely seen enough of Klein to form a reliable opinion, but I still trust theirs more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad