Rumor: Trade Thread XVIII: Brace Yourselves. Friday Is Coming.

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Can guys sign extensions during the roster freeze, or is the entire league shut down?

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I had been very upset with Nash's play for awhile but we have to remember he was coming back from another concussion. You need to relax. Nash has certainly had far more of an impact than Callahan has. Nash opens up much more space for his teammates and he finishes 100x better than Callahan. The other guy is wrong in calling cally a "passenger" but he certainly has not been involved enough, at least physically, this year. I know he was banged up, but in the last 3-4 years he has endured some tough injuries because of the type of game he plays. He simply cant be given the contract he is looking for.

I don't mean to argue that Ryan Callahan is as valuable as Rick Nash. I'm a fan of Cally's but I'm not insane.

Rick Nash is a stellar goalscorer, but that's really all I'm willing to grant him. He hasn't been opening up space, he certainly hasn't been passing the puck well (again, 20 games, 1 assist). If he played with half the effort and intensity that Cally, or Zucc, or even Hagelin play with, he'd be an elite player. Instead he's the Canadian Bobby Ryan. Can't spell intense. He's a bigger Gaborik with better hands and slower feet. That's all.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Steve Sommers on WFAN was talking about Cally tonight. Basically stated both sides should meet in the middle. Hope this happens.

Friday will come and go. Cally will most likely still be a Ranger.

Anaheim gets shutout and San Jose has only scored one goal tonight so far. Both teams struggling. If they have to trade Cally, he'd be perfect for either. Make the two teams compete against each other.

Etem was brought up tonight, didn't do much, didn't play a lot. A first round pick for either is going to be 25-30. Cally>Nieto at this point and would help them more this year. They're getting Hertl back for a playoff run.

I've said 3-4 times that getting Nieto, a pick, and taking back Havlat as a "favor" isn't the worst thing in the world. Havlat can be an extra next year and play in spots to keep him healthy. Havlat + Nieto is still less than Cally wants $ wise. Taking back Havlat lets San Jose have enough cap room to make another move. It's all about getting a promising young player on an ELC under control for the next 5-7 years.

Slick Rick 61

Jul 11, 2007
Steve Sommers on WFAN was talking about Cally tonight. Basically stated both sides should meet in the middle. Hope this happens.

Anaheim gets shutout and San Jose has only scored one goal tonight so far. Both teams struggling. If they have to trade Cally, he'd be perfect for either. Make the two teams compete against each other.

Etem was brought up tonight, didn't do much, didn't play a lot. A first round pick for either is going to be 25-30. Cally>Nieto at this point and would help them more this year. They're getting Hertl back for a playoff run.

I've said 3-4 times that getting Nieto, a pick, and taking back Havlat as a "favor" isn't the worst thing in the world. Havlat can be an extra next year and play in spots to keep him healthy. Havlat + Nieto is still less than Cally wants $ wise. Taking back Havlat lets San Jose have enough cap room to make another move. It's all about getting a promising young player on an ELC under control for the next 5-7 years.

5MM is a hefty salary dump, but I like this idea. Before his second surgery, I would have been okay with the Rangers taking Souray back in a Girardi deal if it meant someone like Vatanen came back.

Only makes sense if they plan on using an ordinary buyout. Cap hit would be 1MM next year, 2MM the year after. If the Rangers had both amnesty buyouts left, I would have loved this kind of deal to get a piece like Nieto.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I'm not doing San Jose a favor taking Havlat back for Matt Nieto. No freaking way. Would much rather take Chris Stewart back. Only person I would take back from them is Kennedy if I have to eat a contract. Havlat is a negative asset.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The way the rumors (or lack thereof) and debates have been flying in this thread recently, you just know trade thread XIX is going to go up right around Friday at 6 or 7pm - and, unfortunately, be entitled "And Now We Wait."

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
No we wouldnt have. Sather does not operate that way....look at history of his trades, other than the Carter for Jagr deal, you dont see many big deals coming (and some one would argue they didnt see the jagr deal coming):

McDonagh deal no one saw coming

Gaborik deal last year didnt see coming.

Even the Clowe deal was no sure thing and not a ton of open coverage around it...heck clowe turned down a deal to SJ before coming to us

Del Zotto for Klein.

Sather is tight lipped with this stuff. May be why he does so well with trades. Only the Nash deal was well documented.

Funny I didn't see Jagr coming, Lindros I did... and we all saw Gaborik going, just not where, that trade and the return (which I admittedly thought was lousy) was unpredictable but a typical Sather move. Clowe turned out to be a really bad trade.

As good as he is at trades, as far as prospects go, the only good one he's brought in in awhile was McDonagh. He can't trade for prospects worth a ****, his management team isn't drafting well, so if a player wants to develop on the Sather-path, he has to be a serviceable pro 5-10 years, belly-up and be claimed off waivers and get born again by desperation. Once in a while he'll sign a good undrafted guy, but for every Girardi is 47836580 Pocks, Gilroys, Heikkinens.

Remember the firesale of '04? Remember Immonen, Kondratiev, Balej? Me neither. But of course he's changed through the years.

Even still, I'm afraid of him trading for prospects, unless their guysss like Palmieri or Barkov or Burmistrov or Scheifele (REALLY hoped we'd draft him a few years ago), or something (I already know those will never happen). The point I'm making is, we need trade him for young/established (or getting there) talent. Not Foligno, or these other HF-6.5C guys people mentioned. Not Stewart either. He's not lazy, he's just not that good.

Last edited:

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The way the rumors (or lack thereof) and debates have been flying in this thread recently, you just know trade thread XIX is going to go up right around Friday at 6 or 7pm - and, unfortunately, be entitled "And Now We Wait."

If he can't get ****, sure. I'm sure offers are intensifying.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Funny I didn't see Jagr coming, Lindros I did... and we all saw Gaborik going, just not where, that trade and the return (which I admittedly thought was lousy) was unpredictable but a typical Sather move. Clowe turned out to be a really bad trade.

As good as he is at trades, as far as prospects go, the only good one he's brought in in awhile was McDonagh. He can't trade for prospects worth a ****, his management team isn't drafting well, so if a player wants to develop on the Sather-path, he has to be a serviceable pro 5-10 years, belly-up and be claimed off waivers and get born again by desperation. Once in a while he'll sign a good undrafted guy, but for every Girardi is 47836580 Pocks, Gilroys, Heikkinens.

Remember the firesale of '04? Remember Immonen, Kondratiev, Balej? Me neither. But of course he's changed through the years.

Even still, I'm afraid of him trading for prospects, unless their guysss like Palmieri or Barkov or Burmistrov or Scheifele (REALLY hoped we'd draft him a few years ago), or something (I already know those will never happen). The point I'm making is, we need trade him for young/established (or getting there) talent. Not Foligno, or these other HF-6.5C guys people mentioned. Not Stewart either. He's not lazy, he's just not that good.

We just wont know until it happens. I am, at this point, more trusting with his tradinh ability than 2004.

And theres no way you can definitively say you saw the Gaborik trade coming.

Slick Rick 61

Jul 11, 2007
The Gaborik trade came completely out of left field. I remember when Gord Miller announced he was dealt pending him waiving his NTC and was completely blindsided.

I think many of us here expected him to be traded in the summer because of the cap issues.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
No, that's what I said. I had no clue where or for what, but you had to know it was coming some time amidst his atrocious season.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
that gaborik trade came out of nowhere. there were some minor rumors that he might be available, but certainly nothing substantive until the trade was announced right at 3PM.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
maybe I'm just forgetting, i do remember him being stuck at like eight goals at like game 30 or so, and i was thinking, "yeah, that's it for him."

Danthehockeyman

Dec 13, 2013
Albany, NY
Callahan played sooo well on Tuesday. It's like the Ranger's and Callahan came to a deal but just haven't signed yet. Like How Lundqvist miraculously improved after his deal? Just an observation.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Callahan played sooo well on Tuesday. It's like the Ranger's and Callahan came to a deal but just haven't signed yet. Like How Lundqvist miraculously improved after his deal? Just an observation.

Yeah, I think this is the most likely precipitant.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah, except Callahan has never even been top 20 at his position.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
If we come back from the Olympics healthy and get out of the gate strong, I'd prefer keeping Cally as our own rental, and losing him in the offseason than breaking up the chemistry we have for whatever castaway he brings back in a deadline deal.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
If we come back from the Olympics healthy and get out of the gate strong, I'd prefer keeping Cally as our own rental, and losing him in the offseason than breaking up the chemistry we have for whatever castaway he brings back in a deadline deal.

It heavily depends on what return we could get for him. If we can only get Chris Stewart, then I'd agree and rather keep him. But if we can get some good prospects or picks on top, I'd rather not lose him for nothing.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The deal would have been signed already then. To me its no coincidence Callahan goes out and plays his best game of the season just a day after it was leaked to the media that he was looking for around $6.85 AAV.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It heavily depends on what return we could get for him. If we can only get Chris Stewart, then I'd agree and rather keep him. But if we can get some good prospects or picks on top, I'd rather not lose him for nothing.

Stewart + + is the ideal package it seems whether those two extra pieces are picks, prospects, or both.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
If they "settle in the middle" as some people suggests, im probably going to be sick. The reason for that is simple.

This trick has been in existence for as long as humans have been bartering, and the various stores around the globe use it all the time.

First, massively inflate the price of something. Then cut that inflated price by "putting it on a sale". Idiots (read : customers) walk away feeling they've gotten a real bargain. The store is making money hand over fist because the sale wasnt really a sale at all.

Then again, even a Cally at 5 mill per year doesnt sit well with me.. not for the contract length. Sure, it would be great for the next year or two (barring any nasty injuries).. but after that, the contract will likely start to suck more and more.

But of course, the answer to everything is : hey, the cap is going up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad