Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals | Would NYR Move Kreider? | Reinhart Unclaimed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
This management group needs to be relieved of its duties, and we are going to have to be patient. No more "short cut" trades or "lets lose a trade for a need" nonsense. We're now reaping the rewards of such a short sighted, idiotic philosophy.

You need to get value on your trades, you can't be flipping players willing to gift other teams good assets for losses continually.

Get a good pick in the draft, develop said player, and build this slow. There is no slam dunk, easy fix for this.

They're not making the playoffs this year and with the cap flexibility they (don't) have they probably could miss next year, this franchise needs to make it's peace with that and build deliberately from here on out.

No more trades. I've had enough of this garbage, especially talent for "character". Edmonton and Montreal show how well that goes in the long run.

I'm not sure which trade you have me losing to fill a need, or going after character for talent? Hell I said I wanted to steer clear of the Nuge for Savard trades.

Faulk would fit this teams needs like a glove, and is a proven top NHL option. He's worth Nuge+ there's not much question on that.
Maroon for Sobotka? I'm dealing a 40 point UFA third wheel who likely won't be resigned for a 30 point guy that solidifies the 3rd line and fixes PK.

This is the only team in the league that doesn't have a defenceman over 10 points, that's the biggest issue with the roster (followed closely by the lack of quality defensive forwards). Swapping Gryba/Auvitu for Sekera helps fix the defense immensely. I'd be willing to bet you see the team's offence pick up once everyone on defence gets knocked down a peg due to his return. Because that was he biggest downgrade this team made this offseason. (I mean replacing Sekera with Gryba and occasionally Auvitu is much worse than Strome stepping in for Eberle)

However adding another defenceman who could put up 40+ points on top of that turns the blueline into a real strength. That's why I'm open to dealing Nuge for the right player.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not sure which trade you have me losing to fill a need, or going after character for talent? Hell I said I wanted to steer clear of the Nuge for Savard trades.

Faulk would fit this teams needs like a glove, and is a proven top NHL option. He's worth Nuge+ there's not much question on that.
Maroon for Sobotka? I'm dealing a 40 point UFA third wheel who likely won't be resigned for a 30 point guy that solidifies the 3rd line and fixes PK.

This is the only team in the league that doesn't have a defenceman over 10 points, that's the biggest issue with the roster (followed closely by the lack of quality defensive forwards). Swapping Gryba/Auvitu for Sekera helps fix the defense immensely, but adding another defenceman who could put up 40+ points on top of that turns it into a real strength.

The worst thing this team could do is horde it's forwards, and hope they can carry a defence with no offensive ability. Take an excess forward and find a good deal that helps the team overall.

We have no excess at forward, lol. We are likely in big trouble as is just by losing Maroon next year, I have no idea who's supposed to make up those 20-25 goals.

Our forward group will have lost Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Pouliot likely be this summer and really replaced them with no one but a declining Lucic. We are thin at forward.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
We have no excess at forward, lol. We are likely in big trouble as is just by losing Maroon next year, I have no idea who's supposed to make up those 20-25 goals.

Our forward group will have lost Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Pouliot likely be this summer and really replaced them with no one but a declining Lucic. We are thin at forward.

You replace Maroon with what is essential the next Maroon. The Oil have a lot of players who can score if they're in the right situation (read playing with a line driver), Maroon's one of them, he's just the lucky one that gets to play with McDavid the most. Put him with on the 3rd line exclusively and I'd hate to see what his point totals are.

Look at Caggiula for another example of this. Zero goals or points when he was in the bottom 6, but he goes on McDavid's wing and he suddenly has 4 goals. Slepyshev's the same, zilch in the bottom 6, and then points in b2b games when he was with Nuge and Lucic on the 2nd line before getting injured.

If you add a guy(or two) who can QB the play from the defence, then those guys don't always need a McDavid, Drai, or Nuge as their centre to score, as now there's driver on the defence. That what I mean if you upgrade the defence, the lower end forwards will then actually start to score.

This is why the loss of Sekera hurts the team so much. Not that he's even elite at it, but of the group he's the only one with any vision to QB the play. None of currently healthy group bring that dimension. That's what's killing the team, and has for most of the last 7 years since they lost Visnovsky (or a healthy Whitney I guess).

Last edited:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
If you can get Faulk for Nuge Im totally for it. If Klefbom shakes off whatever the f*** is going on (might be sickness) than you all of a sudden have one of the best defensive units in the league in my opinion. I'd especially do it now since the season is a wash and than if Chia is still GM (hopefully not) the new GM can go out and get some bargain vet wingers. Vanek is a UFA go grab him I mean he's been signing 1 year deals for basically peanuts. Try out JP/Slep on the top line for the rest of the season. Now that dipstick knows you actually have to add to your lineup instead of subtracting from it maybe he'd actually bring in wingers with an actual history of producing. You get way faster from the back end won't have to see guys like Russel/Benning flub every f***ing break out cause they have no on ice awareness of when the puck should be off their stick. You can target a faster player in a deal for Nuge but it starts from the back end. There wouldn't be near the amount of dump ins if we had a d line of Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera, and Faulk who are capable of skating the puck out fast or making quick passes up on dump ins.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Still have time for Pulock.
Has fallen out of favour in New York again and has a bomb from the right side. He's looked good in the few games I've seen.
Definitely can't be worse than Gryba

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Chiarelli gets the most blame for this roster but McLellan and his staff are far from innocent with where the team is right now.

I bet according to those Eberle comments he isn't the only who feels this way, and the this team will never achieve success with the fans it has. one mistake and daggers are out. its sickening. the fans are so toxic its almost funny, and its hilarious watching some fans comment in GDT's and PGT's , they shit on the players, coach and GM and still lose their minds when they come up short.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

This is the only team in the league that doesn't have a defenceman over 10 points, that's the biggest issue with the roster (followed closely by the lack of quality defensive forwards). Swapping Gryba/Auvitu for Sekera helps fix the defense immensely. I'd be willing to bet you see the team's offence pick up once everyone on defence gets knocked down a peg due to his return. Because that was he biggest downgrade this team made this offseason. (I mean replacing Sekera with Gryba and occasionally Auvitu is much worse than Strome stepping in for Eberle)

However adding another defenceman who could put up 40+ points on top of that turns the blueline into a real strength. That's why I'm open to dealing Nuge for the right player.

The only acceptable return for RNH is a proven RD that can play the PP. That's it. If that player isn't available yet then you hold onto RNH until he is. Don't force a trade like PC did with the Larsson and Reinhart deals.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If there is a realistic chance that the cap is going to be $80M or more, even as high as $85M if the top range of Bettman's update is correct, there is no need to make any further "cap based" trades at this time. As of right now the only FA on the team that has earned consideration for a serious raise is Nurse. Letestu and Maroon are playing themselves into a smaller and smaller paycheck each game if they are resigned.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
So any guesses why MacTavish was in Rochester tonight? We figured Chia was doing some advanced scouting the other night, but it there something brewing there?

Getting some coaching and GM hints from the Red Wings organization before he takes over the GM and coaching duties again.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If there is a realistic chance that the cap is going to be $80M or more, even as high as $85M if the top range of Bettman's update is correct, there is no need to make any further "cap based" trades at this time. As of right now the only FA on the team that has earned consideration for a serious raise is Nurse. Letestu and Maroon are playing themselves into a smaller and smaller paycheck each game if they are resigned.
Honestly, I don't see Letestu making it to January 1st. But you're right, our cap issues are seemingly non-existent with the possibility of a cap increase. There's no purpose for Nuge deal unless the value returning is obscene.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Trading RNH would be a significant organizational philosophical change in trading strategy. Typically we trade players when their value is at an all time low: poor playoff, after injury, etc.
At least RNH is playing well and has high value. Less likely that Chis is fleeced.
Still, trading RNH would mean Draisaitl moves to the 2C so a top RW would be needed in return.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And to think the Oilers got damn lucky that Burns re-upped in SJ. Imagine this team's cap structure with a declining 8M Burns.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They are going to have to activate that Facebook campaign that got mact fired if chia trades nuge. He's the only idiot whose trade nuge for a dmanwhen u need scoring forwards

Prediction:

Nuge for Ceci
Klefbom for Girgensons (or something like that)

Basically, we downgrade at both positions. :(

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Chiarelli is going to trade RNH for another extremely underwhelming return. That should put us in Dahlin territory

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Prediction:

Nuge for Ceci
Klefbom for Girgensons (or something like that)

Basically, we downgrade at both positions. :(

Returning Yams to Junior and shipping Paigin down the river bought us two roster spots. I think we're gearing up for a completely underwhelming 2 for 1 or 3 for 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->