Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur
Kaboom? RT @HarrisonMooney: Gillis: Five years ago we came in here and reset this organization and it's time to do it again.

Fire sale in Vancouver? They're already in cap trouble going into the off-season so now is as good a time as any to hit the reset button.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fire sale in Vancouver? They're already in cap trouble going into the off-season so now is as good a time as any to hit the reset button.

So if you are ownership, why is Gillis the one to reset? He built around the Sedins and Lou and couldn't get it done, so why is it going to better this time when in reality they don't have anyone up front that they can build around.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
So if you are ownership, why is Gillis the one to reset? He built around the Sedins and Lou and couldn't get it done, so why is it going to better this time when in reality they don't have anyone up front that they can build around.

They do. They have Sam Gagner, in return for Alex Edler. :sarcasm:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They do. They have Sam Gagner, in return for Alex Edler. :sarcasm:

I really think they have to get rid of the Sedins to make the next level. Problem is what do they actually get for them? The only teams I can see making a pitch are CBJ, NSH and Florida. So what do you get from those teams?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I really think they have to get rid of the Sedins to make the next level. Problem is what do they actually get for them? The only teams I can see making a pitch are CBJ, NSH and Florida. So what do you get from those teams?

And I would imagine the Sedins would only go somewhere as a package deal. Though it'd be interesting to see what they can do apart. I bet they've never played on different teams.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And I would imagine the Sedins would only go somewhere as a package deal. Though it'd be interesting to see what they can do apart. I bet they've never played on different teams.

My assumption is that they are dealt together, that's why I think it makes them tough to move as not too many teams are looking for 2/3 of a first line.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
My assumption is that they are dealt together, that's why I think it makes them tough to move as not too many teams are looking for 2/3 of a first line.

I'm sure Florida, Nashville, Calgary, Phoenix, CBus certainly wouldn't mind having them around.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm sure Florida, Nashville, Calgary, Phoenix, CBus certainly wouldn't mind having them around.

Can't see PHX spending that kind of money to be honest.

Ya why not CGY they want to try make the playoffs next year.

The Sedins just seem like they would be for those teams that are struggling to make that next step and don't have anyone to rely on.

Do the Sedins want that? Will they waive their NTC or play out their contracts and either go back to Europe or maybe sign with a contender for 2mil a year to try win the cup?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I could see the Rangers being interested in the Sedins and would probably buy-out Richards' contract in that case.

That said, I doubt Vancouver seriously is entertaining dealing them.

Rogers Place is sold out every night at sky high ticket prices and there's no player that gauntness a Cup.

Pittsburgh's had Crosby *and* Malkin and has one Cup to show for it in like 6 seasons and they may be on the brink of an epic choke job against the Islanders. Or at the very least, that series has no business being that competitive.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Last thread passed 1000

Here are some posts

Kesler is primarily a goal scorer who struggles to utilize his wingers well. Considering the Oilers have top wingers, it sounds like a bad combo.

It also doesn't help that he's such a d-bag and a diver.

No thanks to Kesler, We don't need whiners/divers on this team, I doubt the Canucks would trade him here anyway.

I would love any of the other players though.

I wouldn't mind pursuing Paul Martin. Not with the 7th overall, he's just not consistent enough for that.

One of the seconds though and maybe one of our b prospects.(pretty much any prospect other than Klefbom and perhaps Marincin and the coke machines)

I would assume that's what it would take. I would be happy with a deal like that.

Trade market actually looks favourable this summer with a lot of teams looking to shed salary. Might be some pretty good bargains out there.

It's honestly weird how much his game has changed over the course of the lockout. He looks very comfortable playing the tough minutes alongside Hjalmarsson or Keith/Seabrook when he's on the ice.

And he didn't do anything special for the lockout either - he was playing on a traveling ice hockey team full of ex-pats out in Thailand. Weird huh?

Yes to the first 2, "meh" to the 3rd. Simmonds isn't a difference-maker the way Kes/Ryan are.

That's a heavy commitment on a guy arguably on the downslope of his career. Keep in mind RNH/Yak are due for extensions over the course of his contract as well.

If they retain some salary, I'd have interest, but not at full price. His cap hit is too high for that kind of term. At $4.6M, he's overpaid, but at $3.5M, he'd be a nice fit IMO.

Kesler i'd do in a second if he was healthy. He's had constant injuries the last 2 years though, so I don't see how gambling 2 huge assets on him is worth it.

No chance I give that for Ryan. The last thing the oilers need is to spend their best assets on another non-physical winger.

Simmonds i'd love to add but not at the expense of 7th+MPS. We simply can't use those assets on wingers. We need a centre first, and D.

If we're dealing with Philly, I want the Schenns but that would likely cost Petry+7th+++

Bob Stauffer said during the season that Det would love to get their hands on some of our Swedish prospects.

I know Det fans were against a Paajarvi for Smith swap. I think with the play of Dekeyser Smith maybe could become available.

Smith is LHD, puck mover so he fits our needs. He didn't breakout like some expected but he might be a worthwhile risk.

Paajarvi + Omark
for
B. Smith

Two other moves if like to see:

Gagner + Klefbom
for
Alzner

7th overall + Hemsky
for
5th overall

Sign Gordon, Bickell,Torres, Scuderi, Tim Thomas, Hendricks, Volpatti.

Torres-Nuge-Ebs
Hall-Gordon-Yak
Bickell-Horc-UFA
Volpatti-Hendricks-Brown

Alzner-JS
Smid-Petry
Smith-Scuderi

Dubs & TT

Kesler is a risk with all his major injuries, definitely a 2nd line center type the Oilers could use though. Don't see why Vancouver moves him.

Bobby Ryan is a UFA soon, and has made it known that he wants to play out east. Trading long term assets for short term returns becomes an issue, and i suspect the long rumored deal of Coutiurer for Ryan goes through this offseason anyways.

Wayne Simmons is a decent player, can't help but think it's an overpay for a player who's value is sky high right now though.

That d is alright but the forwards are horrendous.

1st deal: Yes
2nd: No
3rd: To move up 2 spots? Eh...depends on who's available and who's not. Most likely no.

That lineup is worse than the one we have now. Throwing a bunch of grinders on the team won't make us better. Torres on the 1st and Gordon on our 2nd line? Yikes.

I sort of agree....I sort of did it that way because if we get the 5th we can let him develop instead of rushing. In mean time we need someone so I thought some players that can fit needs would do.

Torres brings toughness and can win board battles for Nuge and Ebs. Hall and Yak are talented enough that a guy that can win faceoffs and do the dirty work can work.The 4th line is the crash and bang-energy line.

Ok, so that means he still hits more than:
Winnik, Perry, Palmieri, Etem, Cogliano, Staubitz, Koivu, Steckel and Bonino

I guess Cory Perry is a non-physical winger as well...

Torres not being able to play a consistent top-6 role is the main reason why EDM moved him in the first place.

He's established himself as an ideal 3rd liner, and yet people are trying to slot him into a top-line role again. :facepalm:

Boyd Gordon at 2C is arguably even dumber of an idea. The guy's been playing a bottom-6 role his entire career. He was a 3rd liner on a non-playoff PHX team and a 4th liner for WAS when they made the playoffs.

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco
I think a lot of you will moan and groan if we get a guy like Boyd Gordon or some third liner on our second line slowing down the likes of Yakupov or Eberle. Gagner can keep up with the high end talent, these bottom 6ers cant.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Clowe-Gagner-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hemsky
Smyth-Chipchura-Brown
Hartikainen/Lander/Emmerton

Smid-Petry
Scuderi-J.Schultz
Gilbert-Michalek
Potter/Klefbom

Dubnyk
Khudobin

Sign Ryane Clowe
Sign Rob Scuderi or Mark Streit
Sign Kyle Chipchura
Sigh Tom Gilbert after amnesty buyout
Trade Nick Schultz and Linus Omark to Red Wings for Cory Emmerton and a draft pick.
Trade EDM 2nd rounder in 2013 and Toni Rajala to Coyotes for Zbynek Michalek.

I think this team has enough depth and a decent enough roster to make the playoffs next year.
Hall-80 points
RNH-65 points
Eberle-65 points
Yakupov-60 points
Gagner-55 points
Clowe-45 points
Schultz-43 points
Hemsky-40 points
Paajarvi-35 points
Horcoff-28 points
Gilbert-26 points
Petry-23 points
Chipchura-23 points
Smyth-19 points
Michalek-18 points
Scuderi-16 points
Smid-12 points
Brown-7 points

In this case, the 1st rounder isn't used in trade, so Oilers end up drafting Nichushkin or Ristolainen or Monahan with the first and then can draft Jarry with their 2nd rounder. I'd also try to trade Belanger for an extra pick, and Nick Schultz would grab you Detroit's 3rd or 4th rounder so you have another pick.

Last edited:

Koto

May 3, 2011
hilarious you guys think the sedins need to be moved, you dont trade art ross winners in their prime. esp when the sign at far below market value.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Clowe-Gagner-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hemsky
Smyth-Chipchura-Brown

Smid-Petry
Scuderi-J.Schultz
Gilbert-Michalek
Potter/Klefbom

Dubnyk
Khudobin

Sign Ryane Clowe
Sign Kyle Chipchura
Trade Nick Schultz and Linus Omark to Red Wings for Cory Emmerton and a draft pick.

I think this team has enough depth and a decent enough roster to make the playoffs next year.
Hall-80 points
RNH-65 points
Eberle-65 points
Yakupov-60 points
Gagner-55 points
Clowe-45 points
Schultz-43 points
Hemsky-40 points
Paajarvi-35 points
Horcoff-28 points
Gilbert-26 points
Petry-23 points
Chipchura-23 points
Smyth-19 points
Michalek-18 points
Scuderi-16 points
Smid-12 points
Brown-7 points

In this case, the 1st rounder isn't used in trade, so Oilers end up drafting Nichushkin or Ristolainen or Monahan with the first and then can draft Jarry with their 2nd rounder. I'd also try to trade Belanger for an extra pick, and Nick Schultz would grab you Detroit's 3rd or 4th rounder so you have another pick.

Not really a fan tbh. Hemsky doesn't belong on any 3rd line (too bad hes out of a job on our 2nd) if he has to stay Paajarvi has to go. Don't really like Gilbert. Clowe is ok. Mixed feelings about Gagner but there are minimal replacements. Don't like that Smid is still top line if were hurting for puck moving. He should be with J. Schultz on the 2nd if necessary.

Oct 15, 2008
So if you are ownership, why is Lowe the one to reset? He built around Visnovsky and Souray and couldn't get it done, so why is it going to better this time when in reality they don't have anyone on the back end or in net that they can build around.

Fixed.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Clowe-Gagner-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hemsky
Smyth-Chipchura-Brown

Smid-Petry
Scuderi-J.Schultz
Gilbert-Michalek
Potter/Klefbom

Dubnyk
Khudobin

Sign Ryane Clowe
Sign Kyle Chipchura

Hall-80 points
RNH-65 points
Eberle-65 points
Yakupov-60 points
Gagner-55 points
Clowe-45 points
Schultz-43 points
Hemsky-40 points
Paajarvi-35 points
Horcoff-28 points
Gilbert-26 points
Petry-23 points
Chipchura-23 points
Smyth-19 points
Michalek-18 points
Scuderi-16 points
Smid-12 points
Brown-7 points

You posted this a little while ago..

The team still sucks, Clowe sucks, the D sucks..AND you have 25 players..Only allowed 23..

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
You posted this a little while ago..

The team still sucks, Clowe sucks, the D sucks..AND you have 25 players..Only allowed 23..

I made changes actually, and I explained what I did. Klefbom and Harty would start in OKC, so there would be 23. I disagree that Clowe, the team or the D suck in this scenario.

Anyways though, I don't care what you guys say, it's light years more likely even with the UFAs that are on it than most of the rosters I see. Everyone else has a roster that magically acquires players for nothing and/or trades away the big 4 for less and/or expects Hemsky to actually have value and/or expects a team to trade a big defender or forward and/or trades Gagner and then realizes that we have nothing left at C, or downgrades Gagner to a bigger player who is only a 35-40 point guy.

I sense a lot of Oiler fans will be clamoring at whatever move MacT makes only to criticize it later when it doesn't pan out. That's my guess.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Not sure how Gillis reset the canucks

The core he has now was more or less the same core he had back then. While he added a few D-men--most of the key players were brought in by Burke and Nonis

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I could see Dave Nonis trying to bring the Sedin's to Toronto if they're available. They have some assets to move and need to take the next step. Nonis' relationship with the two of them is just a bonus. Imagine a trade this summer involving the Sedin's and Luongo going to Toronto.

Would Grabovski, Kulemin, Gardiner, Rielly, 1st even get it done? That would be crazy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->