Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Eberle Trade Watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well let's see... in the playoffs recently...

Russell had 4 pts in 13 games and was +2 playing 22 minutes a night.

Phaneuf had 5 pts in 19 games and was -3 playing 23 minutes a night.

Russell is 2 years younger and likely $3 million cheaper as well.

I know which one I'd want on my team for the next 4 years if I had the choice.

Look at their regular season 5 on 5 relative performance compared to their teammates over the last 3 years... it's not even close.

Russell is head and shoulders above Phaneuf.

Younger, cheaper, better.

Last edited:

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Man i was sure something would've happened today. Stupid me :shakehead:laugh:

Edit. Anyone else think we'd actually somehow get something really good from the rumors earlier and now resigned to the fact its gonna be Ebs for strome? I sure do

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You would think 2 teams now trying hard to rid Phaneuf and his contract is enough red flags

He really looked done to me when I saw him in the playoffs. Barely half the player he used to be, just trying to keep up.

Don't think he is at all the kind of player you want on what should be an emerging team, especially not with a massive anchor contract.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He really looked done to me when I saw him in the playoffs. Barely half the player he used to be, just trying to keep up.

Don't think he is at all the kind of player you want on what should be an emerging team, especially not with a massive anchor contract.
Yea Ottawa with lots of cap space urgently trying to rid his contract

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Man i was sure something would've happened today. Stupid me :shakehead:laugh:

Edit. Anyone else think we'd actually somehow get something really good from the rumors earlier and now resigned to the fact its gonna be Ebs for strome? I sure do

bZj4fIk.jpg

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
I think maybe the Avs are the deal and it doesn't matter about ED. I think they signed JJ to trade him as part of package. Just my two cents.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Torn on if I'd rather have Barrie or Hamonic.. Hamonic is a solid physical guy, Barrie injects offence and is a great PP QB. both have good sides.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yea Ottawa with lots of cap space urgently trying to rid his contract

Has nothing to do with wanting to protect Ryan, Hoffman, Brassard, Turris, Stone, Smith, Pageau, Karlsson, Methot, and Ceci... Insytead of you know having half those guys exposed or losing Ceci or Methot for nothing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Has nothing to do with wanting to protect Ryan, Hoffman, Brassard, Turris, Stone, Smith, Pageau, Karlsson, Methot, and Ceci... Insytead of you know having half those guys exposed or losing Ceci or Methot for nothing.

If he was any good, they'd WANT to protect him over some of those other guys.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Playing in Toronto had nothing to do with that... and we'd be extremely lucky if Nurse turns into half the player Phaneuf is.
We'd be extremely lucky if we stayed a million miles away from Phanuef and his terrible contract.

RaabHart said:
He really isn't... he was a solid #3 on a conference final team. Russell is a #4/5 dman on a competing team.
You don't really need solid d-men when you play that Lemaire-esque heavy trap system, just play your position minimize chances and let your goalie carry you, some of the rosters that made it deep in the playoffs in the dead puck era were horrible on paper. As a group our D was better than Ottawa's, they just have that premiere d-man in Karlsson who is miles ahead of our top D and had a whale of a playoffs. We also lacked experience as I've pointed out many times and was the main reason we lost, teams with all their core players as young as ours who have no playoff experience never win it all their first time in the playoffs, it literally never happens, you need that first playoff loss as a learning experience. Sekera getting injured which kind of hurt our D pretty bad going into those last few games and while I don't want to cry over spilled milk after the fact the refs didn't do us any favors in that series with the Ducks. It is fully conceivable that we too could of made the 3rd round of the playoffs, with a couple more bounces breaking our way, I really don't think Ottawa is any better than us.

Results based thinking on a single playoffs is a pretty horrible way to evaluate players, I mean we signed Ference coming off a Stanley Cup Finals appearance he averaged 24:31 mins in that playoffs, how did that work out for us? Have you looked at the d-core on the Canes when they beat us in the Stanley Cup Final? Generally teams that win more have good d-cores, but winning does not in itself make a d-core good.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If he was any good, they'd WANT to protect him over some of those other guys.

Management agrees, which is why they are considering going 4-4-1.

The debate centers around which is more valuable: Smith/Pageau, Methot, or Phaneuf.

There is a significant contingent (including myself), who would rather just trade Methot instead of Phaneuf.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

The debate centers around which is more valuable: Smith/Pageau, Methot, or Phaneuf.

There is a significant contingent (including myself), who would rather just trade Methot instead of Phaneuf.

I don't think there should be any debate between Methot vs. Phaneuf. Just based on cap alone, it should be an easy decision.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We'd be extremely lucky if we stayed a million miles away from Phanuef and his terrible contract.

You don't really need solid d-men when you play that Lemaire-esque heavy trap system, just play your position minimize chances and let your goalie carry you, some of the rosters that made it deep in the playoffs in the dead puck era were horrible on paper. As a group our D was better than Ottawa's, they just have that premiere d-man in Karlsson who is miles ahead of our top D and had a whale of a playoffs. We also lacked experience as I've pointed out many times and was the main reason we lost, teams with all their core players as young as ours who have no playoff experience never win it all their first time in the playoffs, it literally never happens, you need that first playoff loss as a learning experience. Sekera getting injured which kind of hurt our D pretty bad going into those last few games and while I don't want to cry over spilled milk after the fact the refs didn't do us any favors in that series with the Ducks. It is fully conceivable that we too could of made the 3rd round of the playoffs, with a couple more bounces breaking our way, I really don't think Ottawa is any better than us.

Results based thinking on a single playoffs is a pretty horrible way to evaluate players, I mean we signed Ference coming off a Stanley Cup Finals appearance he averaged 24:31 mins in that playoffs, how did that work out for us? Have you looked at the d-core on the Canes when they beat us in the Stanley Cup Final? Generally teams that win more have good d-cores, but winning does not in itself make a d-core good.

100%
Case in point....the stats show that Letestu was the teams 2nd leading scorer in the playoffs. He out scored McDavid.
Both played 13 games.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Snow can pound sand. What a hopeless org. They don't even have 4 forwards worth protecting.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
So what you're saying is Ottawa views him as their 11th best player gotcha;)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

What would you want for Methot and Pageau? RNH + do the trick?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
busier than the trade deadline they said......don't go to work they said.......spend all day drinking ceasers and don't bother mowing your lawn they said....

6BT_pk.gif

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Torn on if I'd rather have Barrie or Hamonic.. Hamonic is a solid physical guy,
Barrie injects offence and is a great PP QB
. both have good sides.

Wrong . Barrie does **** on the PP . I am not sure why fans post stuff that isn't true . I guess they see a D man that puts up points so he a PP guy . Go talk to Avs fans and they will tell you most of his points are 5 on 5

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Snow can pound sand. What a hopeless org. They don't even have 4 forwards worth protecting.

He's just bitter he misread the Hall situation last year.

He correctly read that the Oilers were desperate and were willing to trade Hall for a D.

He misread that another GM wouldn't be as over-the-top greedy as himself and actually make a decent hockey deal with Chia.

And now he doesn't want to give in or lose face in a potential Hamonic deal.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
busier than the trade deadline they said......don't go to work they said.......spend all day drinking ceasers and don't bother mowing your lawn they said....

6BT_pk.gif

I personally mowed my lawn yesterday. Woke up at 8am today hoping there would be trades, but nope! Just good ol speculations herpa derp derp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->