Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Draft day edition: Pt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Stone is worse than Hamonic, and hasn't been trending up since injury, I hope Stone isn't our answer for a competitive top 4

Hamonic has been trending up since his injury at least

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I would say I'm shocked that we overpay for Russell and the flames trade for the better cheaper defenseman. But I'm not.

Chia dropped the ball - again.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yep. Our best chance to win is next year. At this point I am just blindly hoping Chia has a plan to through some huge 1 year contracts out to older guys like Thornton and Williams. Maybe with Calgary getting Hamonic they will let Stone go and we can nab him for cheap.

I have to agree with this. I feel like he could have squeezed a 2nd/3rd with Larsson in the Hall trade, same with the Eberle trade. It may not seem like much but these add up.
Then in his later years in Boston he gave some player friendly contracts, Russel's contract seems to be following that trend giving the guy money term and a NTC to boot it doesn't even seem like he negotiated.

I mean, you bundle one of those 2nds/3rds along with a player later and you have a better availability to make a trade that will help your team.

He always seems to get an offer and just go with it.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Flames now have 37 top pairing defensemen and the greatest defence of all time in any sport.

Too bad they still won't be able to score and they're going to have an absolutely barren prospect pool.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I hope that's the case because I really don't understand any of this right now...haha

I'm one of the posters that vehemently slagged on Chiarelli for the Larsson-Hall trade saying we could've gotten more or even a 'better' Dman.

Now, I take all that back. I've learned to just wait and see. It's almost as if Chiarelli builds things with the idea of 'sum is greater than the parts' plan unlike other teams that just horde 'stars' with it never meshing.

For all we know, Klefbom-Larsson could end up being the best pairing the in the Pacific this coming season and Nurse-Benning improving greatly from last year.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm crushed. Flames have such a solid d now and we have to setyle on russell being one our top 4. Sigh.
Wish it was the oilers who made the hamonic deal, dang it.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Flames now have 37 top pairing defensemen and the greatest defence of all time in any sport.

Too bad they still won't be able to score and they're going to have an absolutely barren prospect pool.

It does seem to be a pretty dumb trade from the Flames' perspective. They needed a goalie and forwards, so they got one of the worst goalies available and gave up some of the few trading chips they have for a D-man. They're going to be 8th-10th in the west for the foreseeable future.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Maybe we are in on Shattenkirk or Barrie. I keep telling myself that to make it easier

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It's interesting to see how quick Cgy is bleeding picks, they dropped picks for Hamonic, Smith, Lazar, Stone, and Elliot. I don't think that highly of Calgary's prospects seems like they are desperate to keep up with us, this kind of strategy will catch up with them eventually and the fall will be hard.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Stone is worse than Hamonic, and hasn't been trending up since injury, I hope Stone isn't our answer for a competitive top 4

Hamonic has been trending up since his injury at least
Hamonic was poor last season really poor, Why Islanders favored keeping Dehaan over him.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Chiarelli got caught with his pants down again while the Flame acquire a better, cheaper defenseman.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
I'm one of the posters that vehemently slagged on Chiarelli for the Larsson-Hall trade saying we could've gotten more or even a 'better' Dman.

Now, I take all that back. I've learned to just wait and see. It's almost as if Chiarelli builds things with the idea of 'sum is greater than the parts' plan unlike other teams that just horde 'stars' with it never meshing.

For all we know, Klefbom-Larsson could end up being the best pairing the in the Pacific this coming season and Nurse-Benning improving greatly from last year.

what does this mean?

what if 77-6 regress and 83-25 stay the same? then we need a vezina caliber goalie to be a vezina winning goalie and 97 to add rocket ontop of all his trophies this year to be a WC seed?

yes games still have to be played, but hard to argue the product we have on paper versus thos phlegms 300 km south. Had treliving gotten a better goalie i would be comfortable to bet CGY > EDM in the pacific this year

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
It does seem to be a pretty dumb trade from the Flames' perspective. They needed a goalie and forwards, so they got one of the worst goalies available and gave up some of the few trading chips they have for a D-man. They're going to be 8th-10th in the west for the foreseeable future.

I would be shocked if the flames are not fighting for the division for the next 2-3 years.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
We can try to spin this in a positive light. But once again Calgary goes out and pays a reasonable cost for a player that would help us out a lot.

I am very disappointed in Chia right now.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think Chiarelli just isn't a good GM.

No conspiracy.

I think Chia is just an idiot. I doubt he even considered any of the other defenceman available. He had his guy.

Well the only other thing is that Sekera must be healing nicely and he's back playing around November and not February.

I think there's more than meets the eye why Chiarelli was not in on Hamonic. His injury history could be a big reason why. Don't get me wrong, Hamonic would have been a nice addition...I'm just more choked how this is twice now Treliving has gotten a d-man at a discount price when those same two GMs were asking for the universe from Chiarelli for the exact same players (Snow's rumoured asking price for Hamonic last summer).

The only other plausible explanation is Chiarelli has something else cooking...he's just waiting on other deals to go down first or he's got his eyes on a UFA.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
New best case scenario for the offseason now might be

Trade Nuge and Pouliot to Vgs for Eakin, Garrison and Karlsson

Sign Doan and Gryba

right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events