Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm guessing the Habs are getting a little desperate, I'd be willing to revisit the idea of RNH for Galchenyuk if RNH is still trending for about 40-ish points 10 games from now.

The thing is do we have anyone on our team right now that can shoot the puck like this?

It's a big bottle neck in our offence right now ... not enough shooters.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm guessing the Habs are getting a little desperate, I'd be willing to revisit the idea of RNH for Galchenyuk if RNH is still trending for about 40-ish points 10 games from now.

The thing is do we have anyone on our team right now that can shoot the puck like this?

That would be a terrible trade, and if the guy is that good of fit why is he out of favour all the time. I'm fine with looking to acquire mysteryboxchenyuk, but not for Nuge.

oilers89

Jun 4, 2008
Medicine Hat
I think the template we should use right now is:
Maroon Mcdavid ___
Lucic Drai ___
Cag/slep/jokinen ___ Strome
Cag/slep/jokinen Letestu Kassian

klef Lars
Sek ____
Nurse/benning/Russell

I Like Yamo's game lately but I still I think the best thing to do is to send him back to JR.
in one of the top 2 RW spots id put Nuge and trade for another top 6 forward. ( Nash, neal, grabner. Taveres, Duchene) I know some of these are unlikely but if pay a big package to put us over the top.
Then on D I think the ideal candidate is Green

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I think the template we should use right now is:
Maroon Mcdavid ___
Lucic Drai ___
Cag/slep/jokinen ___ Strome
Cag/slep/jokinen Letestu Kassian

klef Lars
Sek ____
Nurse/benning/Russell

I Like Yamo's game lately but I still I think the best thing to do is to send him back to JR.
in one of the top 2 RW spots id put Nuge and trade for another top 6 forward. ( Nash, neal, grabner. Taveres, Duchene) I know some of these are unlikely but if pay a big package to put us over the top.
Then on D I think the ideal candidate is Green

I doubt Yamo get's sent down. He's showing he deserves to stay. I think the lines this year are as follows when Drai comes back:

Maroon-McDavid-Yamo
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl
Jokinen-Letestu-Strome
Caggiula-Malone-Kassian

Malone is making it extremely tough to send down too as he's trying to show he belongs too. I also feel adding Drai to the 2nd line will make them super productive. This is a good lineup from top to bottom. I don't think we need more forwards ATM. Only trade I'd be looking for is a D, as you said. If you gotta trade Nuge, wait till the offseason. No rush there.

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
I thought they'd send yamo down and sign Kelly to help with PK struggles but now I am not sure Kelly is in equation with the play of Malone.

Reactions: Supermassive

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I prefer going after Athanasiou who in my opinion wouldn't cost RNH, wouldn't cost 5M and would be a much better fit with his speed and finishing ability. Both are inconsistent but with Drai and McDavid as your 2 centers, it increases their rate of consistency.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I doubt Yamo get's sent down. He's showing he deserves to stay. I think the lines this year are as follows when Drai comes back:

Maroon-McDavid-Yamo
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl
Jokinen-Letestu-Strome
Caggiula-Malone-Kassian

Malone is making it extremely tough to send down too as he's trying to show he belongs too. I also feel adding Drai to the 2nd line will make them super productive. This is a good lineup from top to bottom. I don't think we need more forwards ATM. Only trade I'd be looking for is a D, as you said. If you gotta trade Nuge, wait till the offseason. No rush there.

He's performed well but I really don't know if he's ready for a full 82, I think he's returned to juniors after the road trip. Gets 8 games in the bigs including a homestead and a road trip and some NHL dough in his pocket. Will get to go back help his junior team take a run, go to WJC and work on things a bit. Most importantly that ELC slides a year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's performed well but I really don't know if he's ready for a full 82, I think he's returned to juniors after the road trip. Gets 8 games in the bigs including a homestead and a road trip and some NHL dough in his pocket. Will get to go back help his junior team take a run, go to WJC and work on things a bit. Most importantly that ELC slides a year.
The bolded is what needs to be stated. There's really no harm in sending him back and it keeps his ELC where it is.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I thought they'd send yamo down and sign Kelly to help with PK struggles but now I am not sure Kelly is in equation with the play of Malone.
I really like the idea of moving Malone to the wing and have a Malone-Letestu-Kassian fourth line when everyone is healthy. Malone reminds me of Hendricks quite a bit and I think that line would cause havoc for opponents.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

I dunno...TM seems to be using him more as his 9 game audition has progressed, not less. After looking like a fish out of water in his first game, he's been getting tons of shots on net (obviously being on 97's line has been a blessing, but at least he's been taking advantage of it unlike some who've had that opportunity) and is actually rather unlucky to not have at least a couple of goals to go along with those 3 assists in 5 games right now. I wouldn't say he's dangerous to the opposition, but he's definitely an irritant who plays a fearless game, and I like that he's trending up instead of down so far.

And it doesn't hurt him that he brings some speed and agility to that top 9.

It's a tough call, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers aren't really caring too much about that 9 game deadline. It seems a growing trend among teams that they're caring less about that 9 game deadline and more about the 40 game deadline when it comes to rookies.

Reactions: Supermassive

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yamamoto shouldn't go back.

Some have this thought in their heads that he's not ready, can't take the physicality, has to get stronger, WHL should be where he plays to "work on things".

1st... he's not going to get much bigger.. his size is pretty much stamped in stone now. If he grows an inch taller and adds 20 lbs he'd still be one of the smaller players in the NHL and undersized vs almost every dman and most forwards out there. He will no doubt get somewhat stronger over time yes... but markedly bigger no, and I would argue his increase in strength/conditioning happens somewhat faster as he learns to play vs NHL caliber competition. He is practicing with NHL level players and is mentored by trainers and players who know what it takes to stick in the NHL.

2nd... he's putting up over 18 shots/60 at evens which (among player with 3+ games played) leads the NHL so far. Some of those shots will start going in if he keeps creating offense like that, especially if he plays some time with McDavid. Individual corsi/60, scoring chances/60 and high danger chances/60 are similarly at league leading levels. Those levels are solid and shows that he isn't drowning out there. He has 3 assists... (secondary though they may be) but he is contributing and generating offensive chances and like the rest of the team his conversion rate will rise as his confidence level continues to rise and he continues to adapt to this level of NHL competition.

3rd... WHL is a very big step below the NHL... he absolutely will not play with or against the same level of competition or with the same level of teammates that he will with the Oilers. I understand completely that most players go back to junior at 18/19 but that doesn't mean every player should. Will it hurt his development to do so? No... but I honestly think he will develop better by staying at the NHL level and playing with and against higher level players and learning the NHL level pace/grind/intensity.

He is seeing how hard it is to play at the NHL level... the team is going through a tough start and he's right in there learning and practicing hard and this trial by fire likely does him much more good than going back to the WHL and skating circles around his competition which gives him a feeling of superiority vs lesser level opposition and teammates... but that's far from an NHL level of pace/physicality.

This is the environment that's best for Yamamoto and his development and as long as he keeps performing well and improving AND helping this team... he should stay.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'm feeling the Habs GM is getting desperate and might be primed to be taken to the woodshed. I see Gallagher is slotted on the 4th line for tonight's game against the Ducks. We could use a little shite disturber like him. That type of player is the missing link up front for the Oilers. Strome for Gallagher?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Some have this thought in their heads that he's not ready, can't take the physicality, has to get stronger, WHL should be where he plays to "work on things".

1st... he's not going to get much bigger.. his size is pretty much stamped in stone now. If he grows an inch taller and adds 20 lbs he'd still be one of the smaller players in the NHL and undersized vs almost every dman and most forwards out there. He will no doubt get somewhat stronger over time yes... but markedly bigger no, and I would argue his increase in strength/conditioning happens somewhat faster as he learns to play vs NHL caliber competition. He is practicing with NHL level players and is mentored by trainers and players who know what it takes to stick in the NHL.

2nd... he's putting up over 18 shots/60 at evens which (among player with 3+ games played) leads the NHL so far. Some of those shots will start going in if he keeps creating offense like that, especially if he plays some time with McDavid. Individual corsi/60, scoring chances/60 and high danger chances/60 are similarly at league leading levels. Those levels are solid and shows that he isn't drowning out there. He has 3 assists... (secondary though they may be) but he is contributing and generating offensive chances and like the rest of the team his conversion rate will rise as his confidence level continues to rise and he continues to adapt to this level of NHL competition.

3rd... WHL is a very big step below the NHL... he absolutely will not play with or against the same level of competition or with the same level of teammates that he will with the Oilers. I understand completely that most players go back to junior at 18/19 but that doesn't mean every player should. Will it hurt his development to do so? No... but I honestly think he will develop better by staying at the NHL level and playing with and against higher level players and learning the NHL level pace/grind/intensity.

He is seeing how hard it is to play at the NHL level... the team is going through a tough start and he's right in there learning and practicing hard and this trial by fire likely does him much more good than going back to the WHL and skating circles around his competition which gives him a feeling of superiority vs lesser level opposition and teammates... but that's far from an NHL level of pace/physicality.

This is the environment that's best for Yamamoto and his development and as long as he keeps performing well and improving AND helping this team... he should stay.
1. Its not just about getting taller. The body matures in one year. See Rookie McD vs McD of now.
2. McDavid had 250 shots last year but eye test says he passed up on a shot way too many times. The same can be said for Yamamoto. He has 20 shots this season but he has passed up on atleast 10 others where he should have taken it instead of passing off.
3. Yam is far from a polished product. We dont want him to look like Caggiula we want him to be a legit star in the NHL. 9 NHL games stint is enough for Yamamoto this year. He can go back a dominate the WHL.. If his stats line stated 5GP- 3G- 4A- 7pts then keeping him up would have been an option.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I'd happily do Lucic for Galchenyuk, RNH for Chucky seems like a loss though we are losing too much of a utility player for McLellan, it's important to keep a decent stock of a player you can put out in literally any situation. RNH wears too many hats for this team and while we could likely squeeze in a one-dimensional winger, he doesn't provide the same kind of value to this team that Nuge does, we also can't keep subtracting PK forwards without it having a fairly severe negative effect on our PK.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Yamamoto is ready but it has more to do with not burning his ELC year. To put things into perspective. How many of us saw Drai making 8.5M this year? It could have been next year if we didn't burn one year of his ELC. Yamamoto could be making 6M after his ELC and we want to slow that down. Having too many players on expensive contracts too soon or all at once will deplete our depth

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm feeling the Habs GM is getting desperate and might be primed to be taken to the woodshed. I see Gallagher is slotted on the 4th line for tonight's game against the Ducks. We could use a little ****e disturber like him. That type of player is the missing link up front for the Oilers. Strome for Gallagher?
I wouldn't mind this. It allows us to send Yamamoto down.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

So much for AA.

Could still be traded. Teams might not of wanted to trade for a player who missed training camp and hasn't played yet and doesn't have a contract.
Trade for him with a year left and then sign him for his worth after.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
1. Its not just about getting taller. The body matures in one year. See Rookie McD vs McD of now.
2. McDavid had 250 shots last year but eye test says he passed up on a shot way too many times. The same can be said for Yamamoto. He has 20 shots this season but he has passed up on atleast 10 others where he should have taken it instead of passing off.
3. Yam is far from a polished product. We dont want him to look like Caggiula we want him to be a legit star in the NHL. 9 NHL games stint is enough for Yamamoto this year. He can go back a dominate the WHL.. If his stats line stated 5GP- 3G- 4A- 7pts then keeping him up would have been an option.

He'll mature and get stronger playing with the Oilers just as well (arguably better) as in the WHL.

His shot production is already very high, of course there is a learning curve on when to pass/shoot... and as you say even a generational talent like McDavid in his 3rd NHL season is still learning that balance as well.

No doubt Yamamoto has to learn that as well, but he can learn that at the NHL level vs NHL level competition much better than in the WHL vs 16/17/18/19 year olds... 99% of whom will be lesser players than him.

I think you can point to a lot of players on the Oilers as being unpolished products. I know people like to say that the NHL is not a development league.. but of course players keep on improving and developing as they play here.

Are Nurse, Klefbom, Benning, Caggiula, Slepyshev etc all completely done developing and improving. Doubtful.

The real question should be, which environment is best for a players development to help them reach their maximum efficacy as an NHL player.

I honestly feel for Yamamoto that is at the NHL level, not at the lesser WHL level where the competition and teammates are at a lower level and he won't benefit by being pushed by a higher level of competition and expectations at the NHL level.

Honestly if your expectations for him are playing at a 1.4 ppg level after 5 NHL games, well that's too high of a bar. There's like 12 players at that level this season that have played 5+ games. Even McDavid/Crosby are under that level of ppg so far. He's not Lemieux or Gretzky... just a very good player that is better served to play at the NHL rather than WHL level currently. I think ideally the AHL would be a solid option as well but that's not a possibility now and imo it's too far a step down to WHL... so the NHL is the best option available.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
AA was never really a realistic option to begin with. He was always going to be overpriced, he's still extremely unproven and he's got a prick of a player agent. That's a trifecta of no in my books.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I wouldn't mind this. It allows us to send Yamamoto down.
I'm "afraid" that Yamamoto would be an excellent player no matter how long his ELC slides... you could argue he would come in and put up even better numbers as a rookie next season if he goes back to the WHL this season. That would likely make him even more expensive than if he had "wasted" a year this year in the NHL playing at a slightly lower level of production.

I'm honestly just looking at what's best for Yamamoto and how he would develop the best and fastest and I believe the NHL gets him to that point the most efficiently.

It comes down to what coaches and management think obviously... and I guess we'll see when he hits the 9 game mark.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

It's only because those people are worried about the cap hit and not about performance. Even if he scored 10 goals in those 5 games you'd still hear people say "Send him down!". The more he has played, the more he has shown he belongs here. There's no reason to not keep him up. I thought it's all about performance and winning, not about the cap only...

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I wasn't that big on AA either. Lots of potential and speed, but defensively he had many question marks and he along with Marchessault could be the one hits wonders from last season that fail to repeat that production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad