Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
First, I'm not sure that any team who already have a very good right shot defencemen would trade for Karlsson unless that right shot D is coming back the other way. For example, why would Buff, Flo, LA, SJ, Dal & a few other teams that have very good #1 right shot defenceman already trade for Kalrlsson? Would Ekblad play second fiddle to Karlsson or demand to be traded? Who would get more ice time or PP time Karlsson or Ekblad? Unless that #1 right shot D is coming back I doubt any of them who are used to being the "GUY" would like be the second guy now. How many teams lack a very good #1 right shot D? I would look at those teams as possible destinations first.
Lmfao what is this logic...these guys want to win the cup. You think they're gonna whine about being the second RD behind the consensus best d in the entire league? These guys aren't prima donas. They're professionals who understand that winning the Stanley Cup is the #1 goal and getting a guy like Karlsson is a huge step in that direction, regardless if their personal stats or ice time suffer as a result. If Ekblad honestly demanded to be traded just because Florida acquired Karlsson, that would just make him selfish and an idiot.

Did Josi, Ekholm, or Ellis complain when Nashville went out and got Subban? Did Hedman, Stralman or Sergachev complain because Tampa went out and got McDonagh? On the contrary they were probably excited because they realize how much better a team that makes them.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Wait, why are we losing Stone to UFA next summer?

I’m just going full negative/dark side. That’s how I see the world sans Karlsson.

Karlsson gets traded early in the summer. Stone opts for arbitration, signs his one year deal and walks as a UFA next season. (I may be wrong I thought he was UFA age after next season)

He chooses to walk to ensure his prime years are spent somewhere where winning is valued and to get away from what seems to be a pretty dysfunctional organization.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lmfao what is this logic...these guys want to win the cup. You think they're gonna whine about being the second RD behind the consensus best d in the entire league? These guys aren't prima donas. They're professionals who understand that winning the Stanley Cup is the #1 goal and getting a guy like Karlsson is a huge step in that direction, regardless if their personal stats or ice time suffer as a result. If Ekblad honestly demanded to be traded just because Florida acquired Karlsson, that would just make him selfish and an idiot.

Did Josi, Ekholm, or Ellis complain when Nashville went out and got Subban? Did Hedman, Stralman or Sergachev complain because Tampa went out and got McDonagh? On the contrary they were probably excited because they realize how much better a team that makes them.
Ellis played behind Weber & now plays behind Subban who won a Norris & is the better right shot defenceman. Josi & Ekholm play the left side, so it's irrelevant. Hedman plays on the left side & McDonaugh fits in behind him because Hedman is the better left side D & acquiring Karlsson doesn't affect them. Sergachev is a rookie & also a left shot D & fits in behind McDonaugh & is also not affected by Karlsson. Stralman is a right shot D & is affected by Karlsson but he is also older & is nowhere as good & everyone knows it & he would fit in behind Karlsson. It's not an issue in Tampa but IMO it would be an issue in Nashville with Subban.

How would Seth Jones feel if Karlsson came in & took his #1 spot & PP time which diminishes his pts that could affect his future salary? Klingberg in Dallas is a very good right shot D, why would Dallas trade a bunch of assets when they already have a very good right shot D who has led all defencemen most of the yr in pts? Buffalo has Ristalanen, a big strong right shot D who has been their #1 D for a couple of yrs now, I would think PD would want him as part of any return. However, Buff is rebuilding & accumulating assets why would they give them up when they have a very good right shot D already? What about Doughty or Burns who are also Norris winners, are they going to appreciate Karlsson coming in & basically taking their job & their #1 status on the team? I think it could cause problems unless that #1 D is coming back in the trade. Players have much bigger egos & pride than you think & once you have been the main man, that's a very hard thing to give up especially for professional athletes. BTW getting Karlsson does not guarantee winning a cup, he has yet to win one of those or show he can carry a team all the way until he does. A few of these guys have already shown they can help lead their teams to a Stanley Cup or at least into the finals, Karlsson hasn't done that yet

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Lol this team is already a lottery team. Its not like another team is going to just make us better now...

If we figure out goaltending and keep a healthy Karlsson I think we can jump right back into being a bubble team next season.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yay. Bubble team

Not saying it’s a good thing. Just that I could certainly see this not being a lottery team next season if the team were managed to win.

It would also have the potential to improve rapidly over the next few seasons with the right pick in June, the right coach hire/fire and ensuing development from youth.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Ellis played behind Weber & now plays behind Subban who won a Norris & is the better right shot defenceman. Josi & Ekholm play the left side, so it's irrelevant. Hedman plays on the left side & McDonaugh fits in behind him because Hedman is the better left side D & acquiring Karlsson doesn't affect them. Sergachev is a rookie & also a left shot D & fits in behind McDonaugh & is also not affected by Karlsson. Stralman is a right shot D & is affected by Karlsson but he is also older & is nowhere as good & everyone knows it & he would fit in behind Karlsson. It's not an issue in Tampa but IMO it would be an issue in Nashville with Subban.

How would Seth Jones feel if Karlsson came in & took his #1 spot & PP time which diminishes his pts that could affect his future salary? Klingberg in Dallas is a very good right shot D, why would Dallas trade a bunch of assets when they already have a very good right shot D who has led all defencemen most of the yr in pts? Buffalo has Ristalanen, a big strong right shot D who has been their #1 D for a couple of yrs now, I would think PD would want him as part of any return. However, Buff is rebuilding & accumulating assets why would they give them up when they have a very good right shot D already? What about Doughty or Burns who are also Norris winners, are they going to appreciate Karlsson coming in & basically taking their job & their #1 status on the team? I think it could cause problems unless that #1 D is coming back in the trade. Players have much bigger egos & pride than you think & once you have been the main man, that's a very hard thing to give up especially for professional athletes. BTW getting Karlsson does not guarantee winning a cup, he has yet to win one of those or show he can carry a team all the way until he does. A few of these guys have already shown they can help lead their teams to a Stanley Cup or at least into the finals, Karlsson hasn't done that yet
You have a valid point about certain teams offering less for Karlsson because they've already got a similar player like Dallas, LA, and SJ or because they are rebuilding. That being said would they still take Karlsson if they could get him at a great price? Would any team take Karlsson if it was a steal for them? Absolutely. Top 4 RD are the single most valuable commodity in the NHL and you can never have too many of them. God forbid somebody has to play on their off side. Exact same idea as "having too many top 6 C's". There's no such thing.

The rest of your conjecture about egos and pride is completely illogical. That would be like us trading for McDavid and Duchene throwing a hissy fit because he's no longer the 1C. I can't believe you're trying to argue that Duchene would be pissed in that scenario. Yeah, I'm sure he'd rather the team be worse off but at least he gets that pp time!!!

Lastly: nowhere did I say getting Karlsson guarantees you a cup. FYI, there hasn't been a player in the entire history of the NHL that "guaranteed" their team a cup. But acquiring Karlsson gets you a hell of a lot closer. Bashing guys for not having a cup is beyond stupid, it's up there with +/- as most useless ways to evaluate a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karl Prime

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
images

Reactions: cgf and BonkTastic

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
A big thing to consider is there'll be a very good chance of a lockout happening in year 2 of a Karlsson extension. So a team acquiring Ryan might expect there to be a chance that they only need to survive 1 season with Karlsson at 10.5-12.5M+Ryan at 7.25M, and then they might be afforded a compliance buyout because of the lockout which could be used on the final 2 years of Ryan's contract.

DET
(22M in cap next season. They have lots of cap flexibility over the next few seasons with the cap going up and Kronwall and Howard coming off the books the same season as Karlsson's extension would be signed. They'll potentially have a top 5 pick in this draft which would be a nice piece to start with in a Karl trade.)

DAL
(22M in cap next season. They have Spezza's 7.5M and Methot's 4.9M that comes off the books the same season Karlsson's extension kicks in. Methot without a doubt would take a huge dock in pay on an extension if his injury troubles continue. Even with the Seguin raise coming up, they have loads of cap flexibility.)

VGK
(We all know this one already...)

SJS
(They have over 60M of cap space next season......Hertl will need a slight raise from his 3M cap hit, and they might opt to retain Thornton on a similar short term contract. Although, the odds of Thornton being around at 8M the year Karlsson's extension kicks in are low, and Paul Martin will also be off the books. The cap should be at least 7M higher than it is now when Karl's extension kicks in, and their only raises will be slight ones to Couture and Pavelski, and a possible bridge deal to Timo Meier although I'd be surprised if he wasn't a piece in a Karlsson trade....)

NYR
30M in cap space next year with Spooner+Hayes+Skjei+Namestnikov as their main players to sign. They might also look to dealing Zuccarello before his contract expires. Maybe we have to take and buyout Brendan Smith at a cost of 1.3Mx6 years as a consolation for them taking Ryan. That would free up an additional 3.3M of cap fo rthem.

BUF
They have loads of cap flexibility going into the next few seasons. Their only major raise to give out would be to Sam Reinhart if he is not included in a Karlsson trade package and eventually Linus Ulmark if he grows into a starting goalie.

COL
They might have a bit of a tough time due to the amount of ELC talent that'll be looking for raises when Karlsson gets his extension, but they also have a lot of money coming off the books over the next few seasons in Wilson+Soderberg, and a Karlsson acquisition would allow them to trade Barrie elsewhere which would free up further cap.

VAN
Sedins won't be taking up 14M of the cap forever. They have around 28M of cap next year with only the Sedins to sign on what'll probably be 1 year deals, and then a Stetcher, Virtanen, and Granlund. Boeser will probably require a Draisaitl like 8 year deal the same year Karlsson's extension kicks in which is a consideration.

FLA, MTL, NJD, ARZ can all also do it, but I'd imagine we aren't trading Karlsson to MTL, and with the other three they might be budget teams unwilling to spend to the cap.

If a compliance buyout seems too unreliable to hope for, teams can buy Ryan out the same year a Karlsson extension kicks in for 3.6M for 3 years and then 1.9M for 3 years after that.

Let's say Karlsson signs for 10M per on a tax friendly team that is willing to spend to the cap, buying out Ryan would create a situation where a team would have Karlsson signed for what works out to 13.6M for 3 years, 11.9M for 3 years after that, and then 10M for 1 year.

Thanks for the detailed analysis. Lots of good info here.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
What if the masterplan is to resign Karlsson and trade him next deadline? Genius.

Just saying... would be harsh with his wife giving birth this year but they could disappear into a US city.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What if the masterplan is to resign Karlsson and trade him next deadline? Genius.

Just saying... would be harsh with his wife giving birth this year but they could disappear into a US city.

Pretty sure Eriks next contract will have some form of NMC attached to it. After this crazy season, he'd be crazy not to want one...especially if he ends up signing for any kind of discount.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How would Seth Jones feel if Karlsson came in & took his #1 spot & PP time which diminishes his pts that could affect his future salary?

I don't know, on my soccer team, my value has gone down exponentially over the past few years as the quality of our players has gone up.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying winning games.

I don't imagine the salary difference is going to be all that substantial in the case of Seth Jones.

SenatorFrank

Jan 8, 2014
Ottawa

see malkin and crosby

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't know, on my soccer team, my value has gone down exponentially over the past few years as the quality of our players has gone up.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying winning games.

I don't imagine the salary difference is going to be all that substantial in the case of Seth Jones.

Ha ha. I know how you feel as we get older & in our head we still think we can do what we did yrs ago but somehow the body just can't do it anymore & some younger kid blows by you. It sucks getting older.

However, in this case Seth Jones is the younger player & has managed to work himself into the best defenceman on the Blue Jackets & one of the best in the league, specifically on the right side. He probably gets the most ice time & certainly the most PP time, don't you think that if nothing else it would hurt his pride that the team went out & brought in a player to replace him in the top spot & push him down & reduce his ice time.

I'm sure you have been around athletes with big egos or super confident & proud who would take that quite personally? While winning is great & it is & when you are used to be "The Man" contributing to your team's success, I don't know a lot of people who would be okay with a diminished role unless of course your skills are also diminishing but Jones is moving into his prime, he is only going to get better. I don't think they need Karlsson & could use those assets to improve the team elsewhere.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

If you were Erik Karlsson, wouldn't you ask for a full NTC/NMC after this fiasco?

It's not like he doesn't have the leverage to get one.

If the Senators re-sign Karlsson, and have to trade him later, they'll be at a significant disadvantage because Karlsson will most likely end up in a position to call the shots. He could say, "I only want to go to Tampa Bay".

Likewise, if the Senators wait until after July 1st to deal Karlsson, and he is able to submit a no new trade list, it could throw a significant wrench into the Senators plans as Karlsson and his agent could possibly opt to manipulate the trade market that way since they are likely plugged in enough to know who the front runners might be.

Reactions: NB613 and NyQuil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->