Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

For years while Spezza was here the argument I always made about why Spezza wasn't a true elite #1C was because he DOES NOT ever elevate the play of guys around him. Spezza is only as good as the guys he is playing with, and he does not have the leadership or play style which elevates the game of his line-mates.

You are wearing very rose colored glasses when it comes to Spezza. I liked the guy and thought he was a great player for us, but aside from terrible turnovers, Spezza's second worst attribute was that he was never able to make the guys around him better, and he lived and died by his line-mates.
Well I was going to reply but I think everyone who has is 100% right. What I am sating is if you look around at the talent that is available to us right now considering what we have and don't want to give up, Spezza, no matter how farfetched an idea, could be that offensive guy to help the area's we are bad in. He is 34 so I'm not expecting a ppg and 20 minutes a night player. What I am expecting is a guy who can score you 15 goals and maybe 40+ assists. No one on this team has the ice vision he does. The Turris trade made us better skilled wise but we are still lacking another top forward. At this point this team needs to make a gamble and go for it. Adding Duchene though nice is still not that push. What Nashville did by adding Turris is the type of thing that shows you are going for it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Gotta say I agree. Spezza was basically a PPG centre no matter who he played with. So... yeah he made the people around him better.

However, he's nowhere close to that guy anymore, and he doesn't want to be here.

And I don't want him here.
I think he didn't want to go through a rebuild. He had 5 coaches in a very short span and had to carry guys who aren't even in the league anymore(got them paid too). He is obviously not 26 anymore but a quality veteran. As good as Brassard is I would say at this stage Spezza is as good if not still better. Spezza wanting out had more to do with Murray's mismanagement of the team and a cheap owner.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Spezza's contract would be up when we would need to extend Duchene and Karlsson.

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Duchene, Matt
$6,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Spezza, Jason
$5,000,000
C
M-NTC NMC
UFA - 2
Stone, Mark
$3,500,000
RW
RFA - 1
Hoffman, Mike
$5,187,500
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Brassard, Derick
$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Ryan, Bobby
$7,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC NMC
UFA - 5
Pyatt, Tom
$1,100,000
C
UFA - 2
Pageau, Jean-Gabriel
$3,100,000
C
UFA - 3
Burrows, Alexandre
$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
DiDomenico, Chris
$612,500
C
UFA - 1
Smith, Zack
$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Thompson, Nate
$1,650,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
White, Colin
$925,000
C
RFA - 2
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I have a feeling Ceci going to get traded in the offseason. No way can they keep Ceci who will demand 4mil+ and sign Stone, Claesson, Brassard, Karlsson and maybe Duchene.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I have a feeling Ceci going to get traded in the offseason. No way can they keep Ceci who will demand 4mil+ and sign Stone, Claesson, Brassard, Karlsson and maybe Duchene.
Before the draft you mean and get a 1st back?

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

As Micklebot already said there's simply no way we re-sign 30 year old Brassard at the expense of 23 year old Ceci.

Our C pipeline is quite good with one of White/Brown (or even JGP if push came to shove) likely being able to play 2C behind Duchene as soon as next year.

Our RHD pipeline is brutal behind Karlsson and Ceci. Wideman is the only other RHD with significant NHL experience and not only is he UFA, I would not trust him at all to play top4 minutes and deployment.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It may very well happen....depending how guys like Chabot, Harpur and Jaros play in the second half of the season. We're starting to form quite a queue of good young defensemen in Belleville.

Reactions: SensFactor

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
It may very well happen....depending how guys like Chabot, Harpur and Jaros play in the second half of the season. We're starting to form quite a queue of good young defensemen in Belleville.

All of those guys have showed varying levels of promise but by no means do any of them make Ceci expendable at this point. Maybe if they step into the top 4 and start to consistently play 20+ min a night without looking out of place, but until that happens trading Ceci would be a mistake. Ceci has his warts for sure but we have no replacement to take his minutes right now.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
All of those guys have showed varying levels of promise but by no means do any of them make Ceci expendable at this point. Maybe if they step into the top 4 and start to consistently play 20+ min a night without looking out of place, but until that happens trading Ceci would be a mistake. Ceci has his warts for sure but we have no replacement to take his minutes right now.
We might not really have a choice with Ceci though if they can't dump one of Phaneuf or Ryan without taking a lot of salary back in return. There's not gonna be a lot of money left on the table after the Stone extension. It'd be a lot more manageable without the Burrows, Smith and Anderson contracts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Not right now, but who knows where any of those guys will be by the end of the year. I like Ceci, I really do, but something has to give at the end of the year. Heck, we might end up losing both Ceci and Brassard.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Before the draft you mean and get a 1st back?
Would you pay a first rounder for Codi Ceci? He has 2 goals and 2 assists in 19 games. Personally I think he's already an asset thats lost value a bit. I'd trade him and bring Chabot, Harpur or Jaros as cheaper fulltime replacements.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Would you pay a first rounder for Codi Ceci? He has 2 goals and 2 assists in 19 games. Personally I think he's already an asset thats lost value a bit. I'd trade him and bring Chabot, Harpur or Jaros as cheaper fulltime replacements.
It's probably pretty fair to say Ceci easily gets a first rounder type of value back in a deal. Don't take the facebook/twitter echo chamber too seriously when it comes to Ceci.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
It's probably pretty fair to say Ceci easily gets a first rounder type of value back in a deal. Don't take the facebook/twitter echo chamber too seriously when it comes to Ceci.
He has 4 pts in 19 games this season. Had 1 pt in 19 games in the playoffs and was a - 7(worst plus minus amongst all of the dmen that played regularly in the playoffs for Ottawa). These are just cold hard facts.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He has 4 pts in 19 games this season. Had 1 pt in 19 games in the playoffs and was a - 7(worst plus minus amongst all of the dmen that played regularly in the playoffs for Ottawa). These are just cold hard facts.
Yeah and he plays defense with almost no powerplay time (and the least amount of TOI with Karlsson of any Senator). Its not really an issue. Any team looking to acquire him is going to know he plays behind Karlsson. You're acquiring a guy like Ceci to play the big minutes he does against top competition as right shooting D who's under 25. That's where his value is. And he probably takes a nice bump in offensive statistics if he's given a role on a PP. He's got a nice heavy shot and ran a nice PP in junior.

Relevant comparison: Adam Larsson. Had 18 points in a full 82 the year he got dealt for Taylor Hall. You pay a premium for young premium position players who can already play and have upside.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Simmonds is the guy we have to go after if he becomes available

Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Hoffman-Duchene-Simmonds

Last edited:
Reactions: Neiler

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

Ah yes, the best way to evaluate a d-man. Points and +/-.

Never mind the fact that said d-man gets brutal deployment against top competition and zero PP time because he plays behind the best offensive d-man in the world.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Simmonds is the guy we have to go after if he becomes available

Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Hoffman-Duchene-Simmonds

There are so few guys like him left that the asking price would be astronomical.

I saw your Dzingel -Chlapik-Wideman trade offer. That’s not going to cut it.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Why would Spezza want to come back to a team he asked to be traded from?

How many times has that happened in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->