Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Pageau to me is a top six he can play on any line and be good to be honest. From what Dorion said this morning on tsn radio Colin White still needs more time in the AHL. That's a bit disappointing as many of us believed he would be nhl ready.

i feel like its one of those things that with our bottom 6 depth we might as well get him more seasoning since white has offensive upside as well and we might as well have a confident white coming and taking a spot on the team then a defensive white being given a spot

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If anybody wants a takeaway from this MacArthur news, the significant thing about MacArthur LTIRetiring is that it opens things up to where Dorion could pursue a deal that involves dumping Mac's contract. Previously, if there was any thought Mac might return, doing so would have been in bad taste or might have upset other members of the locker room who had rallied around him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Link to article? I find it very hard to believe Mac is retiring and his cap hit is being removed, because he would have to forfeit his remaining salary.

TSN claims that MacArthur has now been put on LTIR (he was previously on regular IR). If true, Capfriendly hasn't been updated to reflect that. This is not the same as Mac retiring and the Sens being rid of his cap hit.

I think people get confused when there is talk about MacArthur "retiring". Just like Savard or Pronger, MacArthur is probably "retired" in principal as in he is too hurt to ever play again and has put his playing days behind him, but on paper (cap purposes) he is still a member of the Senators roster. He can't fully retire and have his cap hit removed from the Senators books, or else he would not get his salary owed to him.

Unless MacArthur fully retires (which he won't for the reason above) his cap hit will be on the Senators books for the rest of his contract. The Senators may opt at one point (or may have already if TSN is right) to put MacArthur on long term injury reserve which allows them to spend over the cap by however much MacArthur's contract would put them over. This isn't the same as removing his cap hit.

It also has to be considered that the Senators are a budget team, so MacArthur on LTIR doesn't necessarily mean the Senators get that money back to spend elsewhere. Cap and salary are two different elements. It's been rumoured MacArthur's contract is 80 percent insured, which if true means the Senators would be getting back all but roughly 1M of his salary.
all Mac has to do every year is show up in September, fail the physical and head back to Florida. Dorion even said if he shows up next year and is able to play we'll look at it then

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
also this is a secondary source but apparently on team 1200 dorion said he was going to be in montreal

maybe he is scouting arizona?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
all Mac has to do every year is show up in September, fail the physical and head back to Florida. Dorion even said if he shows up next year and is able to play we'll look at it then

Yes, this is pretty much it.

The other poster was claiming he had read an article that said his cap hit had been "removed". I think people just get confused about LTIR where the play is technically retired, but on paper still exists as a member of their previous organization until their contract is up.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
also this is a secondary source but apparently on team 1200 dorion said he was going to be in montreal

maybe he is scouting arizona?

Wonder if we are gonna dump Mac's contract on the Coyotes while taking someone back. If Mac's contract is actually insured 80 percent, and there is any truth to the Coyotes being willing to trade OEL and his 5.5M cap hit, they could potentially have trouble hitting the cap floor next season. Paying about 1M for 4.65M of cap would be appealing, especially if they get an asset from us.

I don't think Dorion would package an asset with MacArthur to dump the contract in an obvious way, but we might give up something like a draft pick and MacArthur for say Brad Richardson, where it can look like we are giving up the pick for Richardson, but we are secretly overpaying to get them to take Mac's contract. Something like Mac+3rd for Richardson instead of us giving up a 6th for Richardson.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Wonder if we are gonna dump Mac's contract on the Coyotes while taking someone back. If Mac's contract is actually insured 80 percent, and there is any truth to the Coyotes being willing to trade OEL and his 5.5M cap hit, they could potentially have trouble hitting the cap floor next season. Paying about 1M for 4.65M of cap would be appealing, especially if they get an asset from us.

I don't think Dorion would package an asset with MacArthur to dump the contract in an obvious way, but we might give up something like a draft pick and MacArthur for say Brad Richardson, where it can look like we are giving up the pick for Richardson, but we are secretly overpaying to get them to take Mac's contract. Something like Mac+3rd for Richardson instead of us giving up a 6th for Richardson.

i was thinking duclair, he hasnt started off at a blazing pace, but needs an extension so they maybe want to get out of whatever potential extension he wants

or spitballing

phaneuf+ for goligoski

next year salaries are close to the same but arizona gets that higher cap hit to hit the floor and we get the cap break we need for our big 3 extensions

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
i was thinking duclair, he hasnt started off at a blazing pace, but needs an extension so they maybe want to get out of whatever potential extension he wants

or spitballing

phaneuf+ for goligoski

next year salaries are close to the same but arizona gets that higher cap hit to hit the floor and we get the cap break we need for our big 3 extensions

I wonder if ARZ likes Paul? There was a bit of smoke around his name the last week or so. Duclair has been dead in the water for them the last two seasons.

Something like Paul+3rd+MacArthur (4.65 Cap hit/950k real money salary after insurance) for Duclair (1.2M salary). It's really closer to a Paul+Duclair swap with ARZ getting a 3rd for taking on the Mac contract which might be useful to them for cap floor reasons (paying 950k for almost 5M of cap), but Dorion gets to execute it in a way where it doesn't exactly look like we are paying too dump that contract.

Paul has to be waived next season to be assigned to the AHL if he doesn't make the Senators, so if Boucher doesn't like him, or if we think it won't work, now is the time to get something for him.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
The vultures are circling the soon to be corpse that just picked up Antti Niemi and his .822%sv.

I think even if Montreal reverted back to their start of the season losing ways that they wouldn't be honest and self-critical enough to go into sell mode.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
OEL(50% retained)
Anthony Duclair
Dysin Mayo

For

Clarke MacArthur
Thomas Chabot
Colin White
Christian Jaros

It would be an absolute nightmare to have Duchene, Karlsson and OEL all potentially go to UFA in the same year, and it would be highly likely that at least one of them (OEL for me) would not be re-signed. It would also be ironic that if OEL was not resigned, that the player Ottawa would need the most to replace him would be Chabot.

If OEL was signed for longer at his current cap hit I'd think about it, but for now it's a pass.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
OEL(50% retained)
Anthony Duclair
Dysin Mayo

For

Clarke MacArthur
Thomas Chabot
Colin White
Christian Jaros

First of all: funny how you show up here as we are discussing a potential trade with Arizona ;)

Second of all: no way. We can't give up all those cheap ELCs. Chabot means we can stand to pass on OEL.

Last edited:

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
How much for just Duclair?

Not sure if he's a great fit but put him in our top 9 and he might pan out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad