Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Pageau to me is a top six he can play on any line and be good to be honest. From what Dorion said this morning on tsn radio Colin White still needs more time in the AHL. That's a bit disappointing as many of us believed he would be nhl ready.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Our top 6 is:

Ryan - Brassard - Stone
Hoffman -Duchene -Dzingel (arguably)

The bottom six are:
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Didomenico - Thompson - Burrows

Which ones are too slow and therefore should be replaced?

I would like to see an upgrade in the bottom six. A big strong physical mean winger who can play defense and the PK would be a great addition.
Blake Comeau could be that guy. Pending UFA , can contribute a little offense , and is strong on the PK. Balance of 2.4. Maybe Dorion can get a good deal via Sakic

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ott: Eric Stall
Min: Ryan Dzingel

Staal - Duch - Ryan
Hoff - Brass - Stone
Smith - Pageau - White
Burrows - Thompson - Pyatt

That’s as solid of a top 12 as they come.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Our top 6 is:

Ryan - Brassard - Stone
Hoffman -Duchene -Dzingel (arguably)

The bottom six are:
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Didomenico - Thompson - Burrows

Which ones are too slow and therefore should be replaced?

I would like to see an upgrade in the bottom six. A big strong physical mean winger who can play defense and the PK would be a great addition.
I didn't say anyone should be replaced. Ideally burrows. But adding speed doesn't mean replacing. We need more depth. And that depth must have speed

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pageau to me is a top six he can play on any line and be good to be honest. From what Dorion said this morning on tsn radio Colin White still needs more time in the AHL. That's a bit disappointing as many of us believed he would be nhl ready.

I don't think its a question of NHL ready.. I think its what kind of role he can have when he does play here. White missed time with his injury and is a rookie. Nothing wrong with getting him ready down in Belleville. As long as there is development and improvement it is encouraging. There are limited spots on the roster... He is not targeted to be a 4th line player.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Ott: Eric Stall
Min: Ryan Dzingel

Staal - Duch - Ryan
Hoff - Brass - Stone
Smith - Pageau - White
Burrows - Thompson - Pyatt

That’s as solid of a top 12 as they come.

First of all, Stall is a centre. Second of all, Eric Staal has 2 years left on his deal getting paid approximately 4 million less than his worth and would probably cost as much as Duchene to aquire given his contract being the same length and much cheaper for a player on the same tier. Absolutely laughable, Minnesota would probably want at least one of Chabot/White/Brown and atleast a 2nd in addition to Dzingel lol

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
First of all, Stall is a centre. Second of all, Eric Staal has 2 years left on his deal getting paid approximately 4 million less than his worth and would probably cost as much as Duchene to aquire given his contract being the same length and much cheaper for a player on the same tier. Absolutely laughable, Minnesota would probably want at least one of Chabot/White/Brown and atleast a 2nd in addition to Dzingel lol

Actually Staal is a LW and a C like Vermette is. So he can play both positions and having another LW who plays C on the ice to take faceoffs (especially in the playoffs) when players are gettting kicked out so much is smart.

Staal only has 1 year after this, and is good value at $3.5 considering he scored 28 goals last year. That’s why you give up value in Dzingel, Minny gets younger and faster, we get more experience and bigger, and take on more money. Steal is 33 so there’s not a ton of long term value there like with Dzinegl who’s just starting his NHL career. Equal trade IMO

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Actually Staal is a LW and a C like Vermette is. So he can play both positions and having another LW who plays C on the ice to take faceoffs (especially in the playoffs) when players are gettting kicked out so much is smart.

Staal only has 1 year after this, and is good value at $3.5 considering he scored 28 goals last year. That’s why you give up value in Dzingel, Minny gets younger and faster, we get more experience and bigger, and take on more money. Steal is 33 so there’s not a ton of long term value there like with Dzinegl who’s just starting his NHL career. Equal trade IMO

This would probably require Minny really falling apart though, I doubt they're ready to give up on the season yet.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I think Dorion is focusing on where our finances will be for next season.

New article up on Mac, apparently his salary is no longer on our books which means either hes on LTIR (which we only use if we go over the cap) or he's retiring. Announcement coming soon perhaps?

If we're trying to save money, we could wait till the trade deadline for grabbing a top 6 fwd, and hopefully when we call up White we find we dont even need a rental.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Although it will probably never happen (just for curiosity's sake), with speculation about OEL possibly being available, how would everyone feel about including Chabot in a package to land him?

It would obviously be risky as he's a UFA in 2019, but that d-corps would really be something.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Although it will probably never happen (just for curiosity's sake), with speculation about OEL possibly being available, how would everyone feel about including Chabot in a package to land him?

It would obviously be risky as he's a UFA in 2019, but that d-corps would really be something.

Wouldn't be worth it imo. In a cap world you need guys to step in on those cheaper ELCs, becomes all that more important with an internal budget.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
No to OEL. We just don't have the money now that we grabbed Duchene. If the deal somehow had Phoenix taking on significant salary, sure, but where would we dump it from? Ryan and Phaneuf are the only options, but I'm not paying Chabot up upgrade from Phaneuf and losing Ryan hurts our top-6 too much to consider it either.

It just isn't realistic.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
You seem to be overrating where Staal is at right now.
Yea the problem is that I'm overrating Staal lmao

A player who scored 65 points and 28 goals last year and is not off to a bad start by any means, making 3.5 million for the better part of this season and next season is worth a lot more than Ryan Dzingel whose career high season came last year with 32 points. Duchene who had the same amount of term and makes almost double the salary returned Girard, Kamenev, Bowers, a 1st and a 3rd, after being outscored by Staal by 24 points last season. All this being said, I still think Duchene had more value because he's younger and was in a bad situation, but if Minny was to move him his value would be closer to the package Colorado received than Ryan Dzingel straight up. That's absurd, and every team in the league would beat that offer for Staal.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We just can't really add salary towards next season without sending the equivalent or more back at this point, especially if it ages the team in a significant way. Dorion should be in the rental market when the deadline approaches.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yea the problem is that I'm overrating Staal lmao

A player who scored 65 points and 28 goals last year and is not off to a bad start by any means, making 3.5 million for the better part of this season and next season is worth a lot more than Ryan Dzingel whose career high season came last year with 32 points. Duchene who had the same amount of term and makes almost double the salary returned Girard, Kamenev, Bowers, a 1st and a 3rd, after being outscored by Staal by 24 points last season. All this being said, I still think Duchene had more value because he's younger and was in a bad situation, but if Minny was to move him his value would be closer to the package Colorado received than Ryan Dzingel straight up. That's absurd, and every team in the league would beat that offer for Staal.

Staal, when he was worth more as a Cane, was traded for (2) 2nd round picks and a just drafted 3rd rounder less than 2 years ago. Not sure where you are coming up with this.

Staal gets nowhere near:
A(+) prospect
2 B prospects
1st rounder
3rd rounder

It would be much closer to Dzingel than that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You seem to be overrating where Staal is at right now.
When Staal left the Rangers , many people on this board thought he was done or close to it , myself included. He went to Minny and put up 65pts last year.. he is 12 in 16 this year so he may have a playoff push left in him. I personally would not target him because of the extra year he has and what it would take to get him. If he was a UFA ... I'd have no issue at the TDL provided he is at a similar pace.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Staal, when he was worth more as a Cane, was traded for (2) 2nd round picks and a just drafted 3rd rounder less than 2 years ago. Not sure where you are coming up with this.

Staal gets nowhere near:
A(+) prospect
2 B prospects
1st rounder
3rd rounder

Staal was not worth more as a Cane, definitely not. Just came off the worst season of his career making 8M and was also a UFA. Many were doubting his value going forward.

Now he just proved he can still be a great player coming of 65 points and 28 goals which he hadn't done since 2011-12 and is off to another good start this season while making half the money he was making in Carolina for another year.

Staal is not worth the same as Duchene but he is worth much more than two 2nds and a 3rd in terms of quality of package.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Staal was not worth more as a Cane, definitely not. Just came off the worst season of his career making 8M and was also a UFA. Many were doubting his value going forward.

Now he just proved he can still be a great player coming of 65 points and 28 goals which he hadn't done since 2011-12 and is off to another good start this season while making half the money he was making in Carolina for another year.

Staal is not worth the same as Duchene but he is worth much more than two 2nds and a 3rd in terms of quality of package.
You are right, I was definitely mistaken looking at it from that angle.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think Dorion is focusing on where our finances will be for next season.

New article up on Mac, apparently his salary is no longer on our books which means either hes on LTIR (which we only use if we go over the cap) or he's retiring. Announcement coming soon perhaps?

If we're trying to save money, we could wait till the trade deadline for grabbing a top 6 fwd, and hopefully when we call up White we find we dont even need a rental.

Link to article? I find it very hard to believe Mac is retiring and his cap hit is being removed, because he would have to forfeit his remaining salary.

TSN claims that MacArthur has now been put on LTIR (he was previously on regular IR). If true, Capfriendly hasn't been updated to reflect that. This is not the same as Mac retiring and the Sens being rid of his cap hit.

I think people get confused when there is talk about MacArthur "retiring". Just like Savard or Pronger, MacArthur is probably "retired" in principal as in he is too hurt to ever play again and has put his playing days behind him, but on paper (cap purposes) he is still a member of the Senators roster. He can't fully retire and have his cap hit removed from the Senators books, or else he would not get his salary owed to him.

Unless MacArthur fully retires (which he won't for the reason above) his cap hit will be on the Senators books for the rest of his contract. The Senators may opt at one point (or may have already if TSN is right) to put MacArthur on long term injury reserve which allows them to spend over the cap by however much MacArthur's contract would put them over. This isn't the same as removing his cap hit.

It also has to be considered that the Senators are a budget team, so MacArthur on LTIR doesn't necessarily mean the Senators get that money back to spend elsewhere. Cap and salary are two different elements. It's been rumoured MacArthur's contract is 80 percent insured, which if true means the Senators would be getting back all but roughly 1M of his salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->