Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread | Lebrun Speculates Jan Rutta Weekend Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's too late to go digging into the CBA tonight but I'm sure we can't extend McDavid until July 1st and couldn't extend Puljujarvi until July 1st of 2018.

you are right. You can't sign a player until their final year of the deal and there are more limitations too that I'm not 100% on, like how we were not even allowed to extend Talbot until January, a few months from when he'd turn UFA

But you said something about not being allowed to talk to him about it, but that's wrong if that's what you meant. He just can't sign a deal until July 1st

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I'm not worried either after hearing the Chiarelli interview with TSN. He said he's already in negotiations with Draisaitl and McDavid. I imagine this gets done sooner rather than later so Chia can move on to the team's other FAs and unrestricted free agency.

Anyone have a link for those of us outside of Canada?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Anyone have a link for those of us outside of Canada?

Paralyzer008 does a top notch job transcribing it on page 38. Although he misquotes Chia on Eberle's playoff performance ("He didn't have a great playoffs, he did have a good playoffs"). You're welcome. You can thank me by making the next thread. :sarcasm:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Paralyzer008 does a top notch job transcribing it on page 38. Although he misquotes Chia on Eberle's playoff performance ("He didn't have a great playoffs, he did have a good playoffs"). You're welcome. You can thank me by making the next thread. :sarcasm:
"He didn't have a great playoff, he didn't have a good playoff, but he did a lot of things that we expect of him. He just didn't have the offense that we expect of him to have in the playoffs" is what Chiarelli said.

Clean the ear wax out. :sarcasm:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's too late to go digging into the CBA tonight but I'm sure we can't extend McDavid until July 1st and couldn't extend Puljujarvi until July 1st of 2018.

Yes but I'm pretty sure that they can negotiate before July 1st. They just can't make the contract official until July 1st. I'm pretty sure that there are some UFA "handshake" deals that are also done before July 1st.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
"He didn't have a great playoff, he didn't have a good playoff, but he did a lot of things that we expect of him. He just didn't have the offense that we expect of him to have in the playoffs" is what Chiarelli said.

Correct. He didn't say he had a good playoff, but Chia didn't say it in a negative tone.

Anyways, here's my take on what was said in the interview:

1. We're going to have to move out a player with salary by next summer.

2. Jordan Eberle is a player of value in the Oilers organization - Peter was not willing to say outright that he was dealing him and pumped his tires in the most fair way possible.

3. If we're moving our 1st rounder in the draft, it's to trade down to round 2...probably. Chia said it's too early to tell.

4. We want Russell back, but need to figure out Drai and McDavid first.

5. Chia is talking to both at this moment trying to hammer something out.

6. Chia talked to Vegas already, doesn't sound like Vegas was buying what he was selling. I'd wager that Pouliot and maybe Fayne have not seen much interest in this department yet. Chia sounds negative for something happening to protect us from losing a player.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Correct. He didn't say he had a good playoff, but Chia didn't say it in a negative tone.

We'll just have to agree to agree with Soli. ;)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't see why Vegas would want Pouliot or Fayne so no surprise there.

They will have no problem at all hitting the salary floor contrary to what some have said.

30 players are chosen in the expansion draft and it doesn't take long to tally up the $43.8 million minimum without having to take on poor contracts.

They'll want to leave some room for some decent UFA players as well so I would think they'll want to stock up on some cheap players who are still waiver exempt as well.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think he was mixing reg and playoffs in this post TBH

Ebs was asked to be defensively conscious. He did that despite popular opinion. Even in the playoffs.

That 1 giveaway still doesn't trump McDavid's 3 point abandon of defense. I believe our coaches are able to pick apart who was responsible for what on a play to play basis.

Ebs did have a transformation in his game. It was real. Unfortunately he wasn't able to up his production, or maintain his forcheck in the ANA series

Our GM is being fair to his scope of work in the reg season and in the SJ series and not blasting him for a couple of plays in the ANA series

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I went back and found the link (which I asked for and you FAILED to get me!). Besides I've started the last 2 threads so your turn :naughty:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's one you gotta point out to be believed. I'm pretty sure as long as you are extending your own player with a salary increase you can do it at any point in their contract. I am open to being proven wrong though.

FWIW, from the CBA 50.5(f)
(ii) A Club that wishes to sign a Player to an "extension" of an existing SPC may do so only in the final year of such SPC.

I don't believe there is anything in the CBA about not negotiating prior to the final year. But McDavid can not sign a new deal until the final year of his deal kicks in. Which is July 1.

In case anyone is interested regarding Talbot's situation that Mr. Positive referenced a handful of posts ago:

(iv) A Player who is party to a one-year SPC may not enter into an "extension" of such SPC prior to January 1 of the League Year covered by such SPC.

When we picked up Talbot he was entering a one year deal that he had signed with the Rangers during the prior season. So we had to wait until January 1 before we were allowed to sign him to a new contract extension.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think he was mixing reg and playoffs in this post TBH

Ebs was asked to be defensively conscious. He did that despite popular opinion. Even in the playoffs.

That 1 giveaway still doesn't trump McDavid's 3 point abandon of defense. I believe our coaches are able to pick apart who was responsible for what on a play to play basis.

Ebs did have a transformation in his game. It was real. Unfortunately he wasn't able to up his production, or maintain his forcheck in the ANA series

Our GM is being fair to his scope of work in the reg season and in the SJ series and not blasting him for a couple of plays in the ANA series
Up his production?? It was non existent for the most part when it mattered. It doesn't do Chia or the club any good to throw Ebs under the bus for obvious reasons but he definitely deserves it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
RNH+Eberle+Pouliot collectively scored less goals than Desharnais in that playoff run. Zero collectively to 1 for Desharnais.

Ebs wasn't the only one who **** the bed in the playoffs... but in the end those 13 games don't define him either.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That's tampering, bro.

I'm pretty sure we can't talk numbers and term with McDavid until July 1st. Drai can be signed anytime but it seems Chia wants to get McDavid done first.

As for this Vegas stuff, it's only unprotected RFA's they can sign in the three day window, and that would count as their expansion pick. Khaira and Reinhart fit that description for the Oilers. Of course Vegas can select them anyways and own their rights, giving them all summer to work out a deal.

The Oilers can and are talking to McDavid right now. He is almost surely the guy who they need to get done first. The deal cannot be officially registered until July 1 and would not be binding on either player until then but it can be ready in principle anytime now.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Good thing you are not the GM.

You'd give Russell 4M? That would be an awful move especially with any term. The only way Russell is getting term is if he's taking an AAV cut from last season. I'd take him back for a year at 3-3.5, but he doesn't provide enough to be worth anything more. His breakout game is non-existent, and while he was very solid for us on the shot blocking aspect, his actual gap control is pretty terrible which is why he relies on shot blocking. He's a great #5 who can spot duty on a 2nd pair, but he's not without his faults which include pretty poor breakout ability, poor gap control/easy zone entry, and undersized against the cycle.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
I don't see why Vegas would want Pouliot or Fayne so no surprise there.

They will have no problem at all hitting the salary floor contrary to what some have said.

30 players are chosen in the expansion draft and it doesn't take long to tally up the $43.8 million minimum without having to take on poor contracts.

They'll want to leave some room for some decent UFA players as well so I would think they'll want to stock up on some cheap players who are still waiver exempt as well.

Yeah why would Vegas want those guys? I suspect the Oilers lose one of either Letestu or Kassian. Hopefully, it's not Kassian. I still think there's a possibility that Ebs goes unprotected. If Bobby Ryan is unprotected then why not Ebs? I doubt Vegas takes him but if they do, it would allow the Oil to shed the salary they need to shed. Then you can replace 14 with a stafford type player, who would fit in much better on this team for a lot cheaper price tag.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Yeah why would Vegas want those guys? I suspect the Oilers lose one of either Letestu or Kassian. Hopefully, it's not Kassian. I still think there's a possibility that Ebs goes unprotected. If Bobby Ryan is unprotected then why not Ebs? I doubt Vegas takes him but if they do, it would allow the Oil to shed the salary they need to shed. Then you can replace 14 with a stafford type player, who would fit in much better on this team for a lot cheaper price tag.

Both Letestu and Kassian will be protected....

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

I think both Letestu and Kassian get protected.

Draisaitl
Maroon
Nuge
Eberle
Lucic
Letestu
Kassian

Klefbom
Larsson
Sekera

Talbot

That makes sense to me. Pouliot, Pakarainen, Fayne, Brossoit meet the requirements for exposed players. Khaira and Reinhart will be exposed as well.

The Oilers aren't in that bad of a spot. Reinhart will likely go, which sucks because he had a great year on the farm, but it's not going to cripple the team.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008

Ryan is not comparable with Eberle. He's a 7.25m cap hit and only scored 25 points this year. Ebs had double that many points I what many agree was a down year. Can you imagine the vitriol he would be getting if Ebs had Ryan's production?

Ebs still has positive value, both on the team and in a trade. You don't leave an asset like that unprotected just so you can hoard the letestus and kassians of the league. Those players are a dime a dozen. Terrible asset management to even entertain the thought.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Because Bobby Ryan is making $7.5m for five more seasons. Eberle has two years left on his deal.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
You'd give Russell 4M? That would be an awful move especially with any term. The only way Russell is getting term is if he's taking an AAV cut from last season. I'd take him back for a year at 3-3.5, but he doesn't provide enough to be worth anything more. His breakout game is non-existent, and while he was very solid for us on the shot blocking aspect, his actual gap control is pretty terrible which is why he relies on shot blocking. He's a great #5 who can spot duty on a 2nd pair, but he's not without his faults which include pretty poor breakout ability, poor gap control/easy zone entry, and undersized against the cycle.

I would easily, he is the best F/A defenseman available this year by a good margin. That wage is a hometown discount BTW. The team wants him back and he wants to play here and I know he wont disappear once he is paid that money.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I think this is by design though. He doesn't let people gain the middle of the ice and drives skaters wide. Probably because he prefers to stay in front of the puck.

He's a unique defender IMO. I say this as someone who was very critical of the signing last year, but have realized he is very effective with his methods.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Anyways, here's my take on what was said in the interview:

1. We're going to have to move out a player with salary by next summer.

2. Jordan Eberle is a player of value in the Oilers organization - Peter was not willing to say outright that he was dealing him and pumped his tires in the most fair way possible.

3. If we're moving our 1st rounder in the draft, it's to trade down to round 2...probably. Chia said it's too early to tell.

4. We want Russell back, but need to figure out Drai and McDavid first.

5. Chia is talking to both at this moment trying to hammer something out.

6. Chia talked to Vegas already, doesn't sound like Vegas was buying what he was selling. I'd wager that Pouliot and maybe Fayne have not seen much interest in this department yet. Chia sounds negative for something happening to protect us from losing a player.

I guess it's time to bury Graham McPhee in the ECHL :sarcasm:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Because Bobby Ryan is making $7.5m for five more seasons. Eberle has two years left on his deal.

There isn't a player more likely to be in Vegas next year then Bobby Ryan. No way he's protected by the Sens, No way Vegas passes on him, despite the struggles last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad