Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Countdown to countdown to the drafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We have this tendency on here to over-rate certain players based on small sample sizes. Slepyshev and Caggiula are a couple of them--Pitlick another. The first two had a phenomenal playoffs. But prepare to see some of these types of guys turn into pumpkins next year--a childhood reference if it goes over your head... The playoffs are a completely different monster than the regular season. Look at Fernando Pisani as a glaring example.

Caggiula put up 18 points last year, Slepyshev 10. Strome is the same frigging age as both of them and he has a 50 point season under his belt.

Come on, people. Common sense.

Eberle has four of them and most people on here are willing to kick him to the curb for worse players and cap dumps.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We have this tendency on here to over-rate certain players based on small sample sizes. Slepyshev and Caggiula are a couple of them--Pitlick another. The first two had a phenomenal playoffs. But prepare to see some of these types of guys turn into pumpkins next year--a childhood reference if it goes over your head... The playoffs are a completely different monster than the regular season. Look at Fernando Pisani as a glaring example.

Caggiula put up 18 points last year, Slepyshev 10. Strome is the same frigging age as both of them and he has a 50 point season under his belt.

Come on, people. Common sense.

3 years ago. Then a 28 and then a 30 point season and overall regressingnumbers. This was both of Cagguilas and Slepyshevs rookie season, both showed signing of improvement throughout the seaosn (disregarding playoffs all together)

Strome is on rung 6 of a ladder and stagnate or climbing down, Cagguila/Slepyshev are on runk 3 and climbing

Anyway, 30 point players are incredibly replaceable and nothing special

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oh come on you'd love nothing more than the Oilers to get Strome. You've been tooting his horn for months. :P

I just don't see the fit for the player. He's not good enough to play 2nd line and take tougher matchups with RNH, is too soft to play 3rd line at C or RW the way it's shaping up, and there's no way he comes in and plays #1 RW after coming off two 30 point seasons.

If we're going to get a cheaper 30 point player - and thats what we have to assume he is at this point - we'd need to be looking at a guy like Craig Smith for example.

Also sidebar - who here knew Gabriel Landeskog had 33 points last season? Woof. He got outscored by Mark Letestu.

What? You don't like being right, either? :laugh:

For what it's worth, if we don't get MDC (or a similar prospect) too, I'll be supremely disappointed. Chiarelli can eat a contract like Halak or Kulemin. There is absolutely no reason not to if it improves our return.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Eberle has four of them and most people on here are willing to kick him to the curb for worse players and cap dumps.

Agreed. Strome gets a 50 point season 3 years ago and people act likes hes a young stud. Eberle scores 51 in one of the worst seasons ever for him, with incredibly poor luck, and people want to send him to the sun. I get the $ difference, but that should put into perspective how much better Eberle is, and how average to poor Strome is

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Duclair also had a 20 goal season at age 20. It's hard to say with young forwards. Some of them peak really early and don't really ever get back to the same level.

eberle has had 6 of them i wouldnt trade eberle for duclair even if eberle lost an arm.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
For me, it's a RHD for Eberle or a younger RW if you know you can sign Williams or someone as a stop gap for our young RWs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I do fear Chiarelli wants to be a bit of a populist GM and listens to Oil Country a bit too much for my liking. The rumors seem like a bit of a lazy GM (but its stuaffer so who knows)

Id rather hear reports us being in on Kovalchuk or Vatanen or whomever. Versus us resigning Russell, trading Eberle and trading for Strome likely because hes high pick and well known to the masses. Im not against dealing Eberle, just get creative and identify a good player; even if fans dont know much about him

I trust Chiarelli, just think A) He finds the old core so toxic that hes blinded a bit. B) Seems to want to be liked, more than to make a risky move. Who knows what fires he has his irons in, but just from rumors it doesnt seem like many

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I do fear Chiarelli wants to be a bit of a populist GM and listens to Oil Country a bit too much for my liking. The rumors seem like a bit of a lazy GM (but its stuaffer so who knows)

Id rather hear reports us being in on Kovalchuk or Vatanen or whomever. Versus us resigning Russell, trading Eberle and trading for Strome likely because hes high pick and well known to the masses

Im not against dealing Eberle, just get creative and identify a good player; even if fans dont know much about him

lol, I'll get worried when Chia pulls the Oilers out of the NHL, or if he builds a wall. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad