Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Countdown to countdown to the drafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I may have missed exactly what he said, because I was driving, but Bob dropped a long winded series of hints of the player who might be returned for Eberle. Here are the pieces I heard:

- The guy will be protected from the expansion draft
- The guy is cheaper than Eberle
- The guy has been on a few teams
- The guy is coming off a down year
- The guy has good offensive potential
- (This one I think I misheard) The guy has achieved good numbers at some point

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's about what I got from his clues.

Seems weird. By protected do you mean exempt or is good enough for us to use a spot to protect. Little chance an exempt player can be young enough to be on different teams AND have a good season in past, as well as being exempt from draft

But Duclair seems like a really good pick. He meets most of the criteria. Plus I said before I expect Chyka to make a run at Eberle. Eberle is an analytics supporters dream. Getting a proven 20-25 goal scorer on a really unlucky down year, but one who has good to great possession numbers. Id avoid trading with Chyka because he has the potential to really benefit from other GMs weaknesses. Hopefully Chiarelli is not falling into his trap. Luring GMs with young players, then targeting older vets on bad years. receipt for disaster IMO

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Seems weird. By protected do you mean exempt or is good enough for us to use a spot to protect. Little chance an exempt player can be young enough to be on different teams AND have a good season in past, as well as being exempt from draft

But Duclair seems like a really good pick. He meets most of the criteria. Plus I said before I expect Chyka to make a run at Eberle. Eberle is an analytics supporters dream. Getting a proven 20-25 goal scorer on a really unlucky down year, but one who has good to great possession numbers. Id avoid trading with Chyka because he has the potential to really benefit from other GMs weaknesses. Hopefully Chiarelli is not falling into his trap. Luring GMs with young players, then targeting older vets on bad years. receipt for disaster IMO

I'm almost certain it's either Strome or Duclair at this point.

Leaning towards Duclair because Strome hasn't been on more than one team yet.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The Oilers gaining a expansion draft exempt player would add value to the return for Eberle because the Oilers gain an extra spot in which to protect another veteran player. If you can gain that and take on less salary, that may be worth acquiring a lesser caliber player. The player would have to be younger, if he was expansion draft exempt. Add that to being on multiple teams and I'm guessing a Crouse, DeAngelo, etc... level player.

Edit: Nevermind, the player would be worthy of a protection spot, and not exempt from the draft.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Alright, I've listen to the segment again.

Here is what Bob said, without my half-ass interpretation:

-Forward similar to Eberle, who gets protected from the expansion draft
-He has a lower price point than Eberle
-Less proven of a scorer
-Has had a challenging year or two
-Comes from a team who needs offense

On second listen, it sounds more like informed speculation on Bob's part, although it does sound like he knows a target.

He said NO Jenner, NO Kane. Strome "theoretically" makes sense.

So there you have it. I think I greased the wheels a little too much with my previous post.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Alright, I've listen to the segment again.

Here is what Bob said, without my half-ass interpretation:

-Forward similar to Eberle, who would be protected in the expansion draft
-He has a lower price point than Eberle
-Has had a challenging year or two
-Comes from a team who needs offense

On second listen, it sounds more like informed speculation on Bob's part, although it does sound like he knows a target.

He said NO Jenner, NO Kane. Strome "theoretically" makes sense.

So there you have it. I think I greased the wheels a little too much with my previous post.

To be fair the Islanders were #10 in the NHL in GF last season. Not sure they need offense moreso than goaltending and healthy D.

Arizona, OTOH, was bottom 5 in GF. Duclair pretty much plays the same type of perimeter game as Eberle.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Using similar hints by Stauffer, Larsson made our short list of players people guessed were coming back for Hall last summer.

Wonder if we can go 2-for-2?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Duclair, Grigorenko... I guess if we get a player plus a decent pick it could be worse. But I'd also hope we're signing Justin Williams at under 6 mill or someone of similar quality. Otherwise that RW looks hilariously bad.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Better not be Strome. Not convinced he's a top6 player and our bottom 6 is pretty set on RW (Kass, Slepy, Pulju). I'd rather trade Eberle for picks and sign Williams/Vanek or even Vrbata/Jagr

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I guess Mikhail Grigorenko also fits.

Is he a full time center? Checked his stats he only took around 200 faceoffs, and was 58%. Small sample size but would instantly be out best faceoff man.
If he is a center I wouldn't be opposed to this deal, would want a pick/ B prospect coming back though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is he a full time center? Checked his stats he only took around 200 faceoffs, and was 58%. Small sample size but would instantly be out best faceoff man.
If he is a center I wouldn't be opposed to this deal, would want a pick/ B prospect coming back though.

I think it's too small of a sample size regardless. And I think he alternated between C and wing in Colorado.

One thing though - if Eberle gets traded to Colorado, there's a decent chance it will look like we lost the deal. He would get prime playing time there and probably put up 60 points.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london

Im been told hes a better C than Winger

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't understand the point of dealing Eberle right now for lesser players unless there's a plan to do something significant with that extra cap space. It's not like his contract is a long term detriment.

I think it would make more sense to deal Eberle when the RW situation is a little more secure (namely Pulju establishing himself).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Mika Zibanejad?

I guess question is what he means by "will be protected."

Zibanejad isn't coming off a challenging year. He scored 37 points in 56 games or something like that. That's pretty good.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don't understand the point of dealing Eberle right now for lesser players unless there's a plan to do something significant with that extra cap space. It's not like his contract is a long term detriment.

I think it would make more sense to deal Eberle when the RW situation is a little more secure (namely Pulju establishing himself).

Who knows, there could be things going on behind the scenes that has one or both parties looking to turn the page. I think the Oilers learned a lesson last season about how important the dressing atmosphere and team bonding can impact the on-ice performance (to be clear, I'm not saying Eberle is a problem. Instead, I'm pointing out that on-ice value remains only part of the equation).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I agree. So many unknowns next year, why add to the pile? D is somewhat of a ?, Talbot is sort of a question mark (can he keep up insane play), injuries are always a question mark

One thing with Eberle without fail is hell score 20 goals at the very minimum and likely food for 25+. Keep those guaranteed goals, well need that offense and stability there

Like I get next year if he has another down year, his value will plummet to not much. But the options this year all seem like ?s and low upside guys at that. Id rather keep Eberle even if that means next year we deal if for a 4th round pick if he only gets 20 goals and 50 points

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Zibanejad isn't coming off a challenging year. He scored 37 points in 56 games or something like that. That's pretty good.

Ah.

I didn't know he was injured just the point total. Thought he played 82. I'd love Zibanejad for Eberle though.

I dunno he was traded for expiring Brassard with picks though. I think the value would be reasonable.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
What about:

Cal Clutterbuck
Strome

for

Eberle
Pick/Prospect

?

I'm gonna guess it's Clutterbuck. He isn't proven in scoring, but he fits the bill of a gritty player who can play in the Top 6 if needed. He's also a Chia player IMO.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
What about:

Cal Clutterbuck
Strome

for

Eberle
Pick/Prospect

?

I'm gonna guess it's Clutterbuck. He isn't proven in scoring, but he fits the bill of a gritty player who can play in the Top 6 if needed. He's also a Chia player IMO.

Doesn't mean he's a good player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->