Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: 3C and 2nd Pairing RHD Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We're not giving away Eberle for free!!!

Nobody's taking Pouliot for a pick!!!

Stop the madness!!!!!

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
We're not giving away Eberle for free!!!

Nobody's taking Pouliot for a pick!!!

Stop the madness!!!!!
We couldn't give him away for free. I defended him all season long and he fell flat on his face.

Career Playoffs 13GP 0G 2A and soft as fresh dog **** on a hot sidewalk
Him and RNH are the reasons why the Oilers even had to play a 7 game series. RNH sure did a great job checking Getzlaf:laugh:
buh bye

Send them to NJ for Henrique, and Kovalchuk. I'm sure they aren't worried about playoff production for a couple more years

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There's a substantial difference between free and Henrique and Kovalchuk, who we're not getting either.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Eberle is not going anywhere: 1) His trade value is not exactly at its highest. 2) Oilers have no depth at RW and Eberle is still a 20 goal/50 point plater. 3) It's hard to get a top 6 forward replacement at the best of time. 4) McLellan likes him.

I expect they will sign a 3C and maybe trade picks/prospects for a defenseman. LV will have many defensemen.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Eberle is not going anywhere: 1) His trade value is not exactly at its highest. 2) Oilers have no depth at RW and Eberle is still a 20 goal/50 point plater. 3) It's hard to get a top 6 forward replacement at the best of time. 4) McLellan likes him.

I expect they will sign a 3C and maybe trade picks/prospects for a defenseman. LV will have many defensemen.

Disagree there. I expect him gone before the expansion draft, if not shortly thereafter. He's a player who can be easily replaced short-term via the substantial crop of UFA RWs this summer. He can be parlayed into one of two of the other pieces this roster needs for the beginning of next season.

IMO it has little to do with performance but a lot to do with his contract.

And UFA is a trap. Filling as few roster holes via that avenue is key to keeping our cap situation under control.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Disagree there. I expect him gone before the expansion draft, if not shortly thereafter. He's a player who can be easily replaced short-term via the substantial crop of UFA RWs this summer. He can be parlayed into one of two of the other pieces this roster needs for the beginning of next season.

And UFA is a trap. Filling as few roster holes via that avenue is key to keeping our cap situation under control.

Not arguing the fact that I think he'll be gone, but exactly who are these replacement RW? I looked and the UFAs this year are weak to say the least. If we can't get one in a trade we are in trouble

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Agree. As I said in a post on the main boards, Oilers shouldn't look at any expensive UFA's from here on out. With Drai and McDavid getting big paydays as well as having Sekera and Lucic signed long-term the Oilers really shouldn't be adding another big contract like that. And the Oilers don't really need it either. We got a good team here, with all the important pieces in place. Need a few tweaks here and there, but that's it.

I have no interest in big names like Duchene, Barrie, Shattenkirk etc. I'd be perfectly fine with a Orlov/Vatanen/Dumba, or even just extending Russell, even if I do think we need another puck-moving defenseman, but not at any cost. If we can add a puck-moving D and a couple of versatile top9 wingers I think we're fine. Ideally we'd get a shutdown #3C as well, but I think that'll be hard to find.

The Oilers focus going forward shouldn't be at making any major moves. Stay the course, focus on drafting and developing players, and keep signing college FA's like Caggiula and Benning to replace non-core guys who price themselves out as we go along, as well as trying to cycle out the combined $10M of Eberle and Pouliot as soon as possible. I want sustained success. You don't get that by overpaying in FA or making huge moves for guys like Barrie and Duchene. You're just painting yourself into a corner that way and that's really not something we should be doing after just 1 year of success.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta

Not arguing the fact that I think he'll be gone, but exactly who are these replacement RW? I looked and the UFAs this year are weak to say the least. If we can't get one in a trade we are in trouble

Then you either settle on a center to fill that role or promote Cags/Slepeshev/Pullijarvi into that role (or hell even RNH).

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Then you either settle on a center to fill that role or promote Cags/Slepeshev/Pullijarvi into that role (or hell even RNH).

Ya can, and I do think one of them may fit with McDavid if Draisaitl carries the second line but they are very unproven they are equally likely to fit in as they are slide to the third/forth lines at this point.

Eberle disappoint me and many others but the kid still puts up decent numbers and contract aside, if we don't need the cap next year, might be easier to offload next year with one year remaining

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

None of this is close to good enough.

If this is your solution, you can't move him at all.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I wouldn't say that the Oilers aren't going to trade him but I would say that Ebelre isn't nearly as expendable as many on here want to believe.

I think the lack of depth at right wing is also a major factor as to why an Eberle trade is so tricky.

I expect that he will be traded but (unless a deal too hard to pass up happens) the trade likely wont happen until next season.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't say that the Oilers aren't going to trade him but I would say that Ebelre isn't nearly as expendable as many on here want to believe.

I think the lack of depth at right wing is also a major factor as to why an Eberle trade is so tricky.

I expect that he will be traded but (unless a deal to hard to pass up happens) the trade likely wont happen until next season.

So much depends on Pulju. If he is ready to be a full timer in the NHL next season it becomes very easy to get rid of Ebs. I think he will make that jump.

I think the trade happens before the start of the season. I'm guessing Pulju will be at the prospects camp. If he shows he belongs with the big club there then I suspect ebs is gonzo.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

My choice: Justin Williams

Other options: Radim Vrbata, Patrick Eaves, Brian Gionta, Ales Hemsky, Drew Stafford. I'll say Jagr just because but he's too slow IMO.

If you're able to improve your point production from the third line in 17/18, you can manage a 10-15 point decline between Eberle and his replacement.

The thing I like most about that swap is literally all of those UFA options will not ask for term in their contracts.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
There are only two good options with Eberle.

Trade him and spend the money to adequately replace him on the roster or don't trade him.

So much depends on Pulju. If he is ready to be a full timer in the NHL next season it becomes very easy to get rid of Ebs. I think he will make that jump.

I think the trade happens before the start of the season. I'm guessing Pulju will be at the prospects camp. If he shows he belongs with the big club there then I suspect ebs is gonzo.

This is also ridiculous.

Jesse Puljujarvi couldn't get things started at the NHL level, and had mixed reviews at the AHL level. Counting on a 20 year old on a wobbly career arc to come in, in your weakest position, and replace your third leading scorer is the kind of tactic a terrible manager would employ. Kevin Lowe wouldn't have even done it.

If this is your long term solution, you keep Eberle and have Puljujarvi play his way up the roster. When and only when Puljujarvi can handle the role, you can move Eberle.

RNH is definitely good enough to replace Eberle at 2RW. He even has good chemistry with Draisaitl.

RNH is a left shot centre.

You don't walk into a season expecting him to play him RW for the duration from day one. That's so far past absurd, its nuts.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Agree. As I said in a post on the main boards, Oilers shouldn't look at any expensive UFA's from here on out. With Drai and McDavid getting big paydays as well as having Sekera and Lucic signed long-term the Oilers really shouldn't be adding another big contract like that. And the Oilers don't really need it either. We got a good team here, with all the important pieces in place. Need a few tweaks here and there, but that's it.

I have no interest in big names like Duchene, Barrie, Shattenkirk etc. I'd be perfectly fine with a Orlov/Vatanen/Dumba, or even just extending Russell, even if I do think we need another puck-moving defenseman, but not at any cost. If we can add a puck-moving D and a couple of versatile top9 wingers I think we're fine. Ideally we'd get a shutdown #3C as well, but I think that'll be hard to find.

The Oilers focus going forward shouldn't be at making any major moves. Stay the course, focus on drafting and developing players, and keep signing college FA's like Caggiula and Benning to replace non-core guys who price themselves out as we go along, as well as trying to cycle out the combined $10M of Eberle and Pouliot as soon as possible. I want sustained success. You don't get that by overpaying in FA or making huge moves for guys like Barrie and Duchene. You're just painting yourself into a corner that way and that's really not something we should be doing after just 1 year of success.

Agreed.

Even then, some of these holes are addressing the issues we had in the playoffs. The roster as is was a 100 point hockey team in the regular season. The goal for the off-season should be to maintain the roster as much as humanly possible to try and improve on that 100 point campaign. The role players you've mentioned (shutdown C, puck-moving D) can also be filled at the trade deadline. Doing so allows you to address your needs more accurately, likely lowering your overall acquisition costs and substantially lowering your commitment to those players.

I agree, having a beastly third line center would be awesome. But we probably don't need to commit to him for 82+ games for 5 years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I expect that he will be traded but (unless a deal too hard to pass up happens) the trade likely wont happen until next season.

We have depth at RW just not high end depth: Pitlick, Kassian, Slepyshev and Drai if we so decide to play him there. Then the wild card is Puljujarvi. If Slepyshev can show consistency he could become a decent 2nd line RW.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
RNH is definitely good enough to replace Eberle at 2RW. He even has good chemistry with Draisaitl.

RNH sucks at wing. He looses most of the board battles and is not a natural goal-scorer.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Agreed.

Even then, some of these holes are addressing the issues we had in the playoffs. The roster as is was a 100 point hockey team in the regular season. The goal for the off-season should be to maintain the roster as much as humanly possible to try and improve on that 100 point campaign. The role players you've mentioned (shutdown C, puck-moving D) can also be filled at the trade deadline. Doing so allows you to address your needs more accurately, likely lowering your overall acquisition costs and substantially lowering your commitment to those players.

I agree, having a beastly third line center would be awesome. But we probably don't need to commit to him for 82+ games for 5 years.

That's true as well. The Oilers are probably good enough to make the playoffs if they stay healthy. And a coouple of players can be added at the deadline for picks prospects, struggling players.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
With the rumors coming out that were talking to Florida and Dallas. Does anyone think its possible we ship out Pouliot for Bjustad or Eakin? Pouliot has the shorter term so they save there, and both teams need wingers. Maybe throw in a pick due to the age difference.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Who do you guys think is the best defensive 3C we could realistically get in an Eberle trade or a Pouliot trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->