Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVI: G Staying Put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Callahan is not a 3rd liner, but regardless 6x6 is huge commitment at this point for a 29yo that plays that type of game. This whole thing got F'up 3 yrs ago when they signed him to that stupid 3 yr deal. Unfortunately now here we are and at this point 6x6 is going to be hard to swallow.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Maybe there are some 6 year term leaks and over anticipation from AV to convince potential trade partners that they won't have to break the bank with a 7 year deal for Callahan if they are gun shy about giving up too much for a rental

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I don't think he's a third liner. He's a third liner like Malkin is a second line center in that he's a third liner here today because there are two guys who are playing very well ahead of him.

It's a ridiculous contract this year, but next year? The year after? I'm not sure.

Again, I'm not necessarily for it. I just read this 6 x 6 thing for the first time a short while ago so I'm still kinda processing it and thinking on it, but my first question is what will this look like in a year or two? The term is worrying no matter how you slice it IMO.

Make no mistake about, Callahan is and will never be more than a very good 3rd liner. He's a lot more like Mike York than Graves, as some suggest.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This season's version of Ryan Callahan is a third-liner. Not sure if you can argue against that. Especially when taking into account Nash and Zuccarello. He's clearly behind those two players this season. Not to mention, both of those guys are even PKing this year, too.

Take with a grain of salt. I've been souring on Callahan more and more every day since we traded Dubinsky :p:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If this rumor that the Rangers went up to 6/$36M is true, I kind of hate it. They can't go a dollar higher, period.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
This season's version of Ryan Callahan is a third-liner. Not sure if you can argue against that. Especially when taking into account Nash and Zuccarello. He's clearly behind those two players this season. Not to mention, both of those guys are even PKing this year, too.

Take with a grain of salt. I've been souring on Callahan more and more every day since we traded Dubinsky :p:

Agreed, and when you consider Fast and Miller being pretty much NHL ready it would make this signing seem even more stupid if does happen

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Callahan wants to be paid for his past performance, while the Rangers need to pay him at his anticipated future performance, which is where the disconnect comes in. Callahan is no longer on the top PP unit, he isn't this coach's go-to forward on the PK, (that would be Bardof's nemesis), and he's not necessarily the obvious player to put out in the waning minutes of the game. (Both Boyle and Stepan have seen similar duties, depending upon if a RH or LH center is needed.) Making him the 3rd highest paid player on this team when he is likely no longer going to hold that significance going forward is just a bad business decision.

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
On this team, he's a third liner, that simple

On this team, he might well be the 3rd or 4th best forward on a team with 3 really good right wings. It doesnt mean hes a "third liner"

It means this team was built by an *******.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The biggest blight on Callahan's resume, for me at least, is his inability to be a catalyst in the post-season. He's just not a $6M per year player. If this guy was an Ottawa Senator, nobody around here would be trying to justify $6M per year for him. Far too much emotional attachment.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
What pisses me off about the 6X6 is how many casual fans will be ecstatic if we sign him to that.

I'm not shocked he would get that. He would as a UFA. Is it too much? yep it is.

Someone is going to pay it and I'm not shocked the Rangers would. A penny more and I cry though:laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's a 3rd liner, not because of the depth that we have at RW. He's a 3rd liner because IMO he's not good enough to be a decent 2nd liner. He doesn't produce that much anymore and his energy game isn't really there this year.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sather had been on my good side for awhile and then he goes and pulls this ********. 6x6 for Callahan. I'd rather shoot up heroine.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Callahan wants to be paid for his past performance, while the Rangers need to pay at his anticipated future performance, which is where the disconnect comes in. Callahan is no longer on the top PP unit, h e isn't this coach's go-to forward on the PK, (that would be Bardof's nemesis), and he's not necessarily the obvious player to put out in the waning minutes of the game. (Both Boyle and Stepan have seen similar duties, depending upon if a RH or LH center is needed.) Making him the 3rd highest paid player on this team when he is likely no longer going to hold that significance going forward is just a bad business decision.

Nailed it. We aren't too far removed from gang-busting Torts Callahan... You need to look two, three, four years into this deal and know that he is going to be just that, a third liner. Would be a great third line guy to have on a good team, no doubt. But not at that hit. 5 mil max.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
On this team, he's a third liner, that simple

I don't think that way. They have 2 - 2nd lines really. Richards is right at the top of the pts list and he's Callys C.

Also Nash and Zuc can play LW. IF MSL is acquired it can fit still with Cally

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Callahan wants to be paid for his past performance, while the Rangers need to pay at his anticipated future performance, which is where the disconnect comes in. Callahan is no longer on the top PP unit, h e isn't this coach's go-to forward on the PK, (that would be Bardof's nemesis), and he's not necessarily the obvious player to put out in the waning minutes of the game. (Both Boyle and Stepan have seen similar duties, depending upon if a RH or LH center is needed.) Making him the 3rd highest paid player on this team when he is likely no longer going to hold that significance going forward is just a bad business decision.

A lot of this. And mostly, he's just very replaceable. Miller and Fast will both bring a lot of what Callahan brought over the next few years. This money would simply be SO much better spent elsewhere, even if all we got in return for Cally was one high B prospect or a 20ish overall pick.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The biggest blight on Callahan's resume, for me at least, is his inability to be a catalyst in the post-season. He's just not a $6M per year player. If this guy was an Ottawa Senator, nobody around here would be trying to justify $6M per year for him. Far too much emotional attachment.

And, you can see that in the responses of the pro-Callahan posts. There has been a lot of hyperbole in the emotional support for keeping Callahan.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Since we're offering ridiculous amounts of money for Callahan does that mean the MSL trade is dead? Why would Sather offer that much if he thought he was getting MSL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->