Helene St. James Trade Quincey

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
HSJ:

Quincey has been mediocre since arriving via trade in February 2012. He's currently minus-9, worst on the team, and has just three points, all assists, after 29 games. That's not much of a return for a guy with a $3.775-million salary cap hit. If he could be flipped for a cheaper veteran defenseman or even a draft pick, the Wings would greatly improve their salary cap situation.

Yes, please.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Well from HSJ that is rather surprising... I don't recall the last time I saw and article from a Wings beat writer stating that they should trade someone.

Maybe the Wings brass is looking to make a move...

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Well from HSJ that is rather surprising... I don't recall the last time I saw and article from a Wings beat writer stating that they should trade someone.

Maybe the Wings brass is looking to make a move...
Neither do I. I'd agree that this is a sign the Wings are looking to trade him.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Someone must have hacked her account or taken control of her mind or something. This one excerpt from her is, quite literally, amazing.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Hell I wouldn't care if we traded him with 50% retained for a 7th round draft pick. Just for the purposes of freeing up around 1.85 million from the cap problem we have.

A hakan shot in the dark has more value than his play for the rest of the season. Plus if it frees up enough cap (by itself I believe it does not) dd comes back and we can bring up say adam almquivst for a look at where he is to see if we want to keep him on the team next year or potentially trade him for assets.

The chance this actually happens however is not great. But I would much rather get a look at a soon to be waiver excempt player or give lashoff some playing time (yes I bagged on him last year but this year he is a stable bottom pairing defensemen).

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
We probably shouldn't get our hopes up. Just don't see Holland making a move unless his hand is forced.

That and trading Quincey for anything less than a first is admitting defeat, not so sure if Holland would do that. I mean, but, he has to know it is a failed experiment. Right?

Don't ask me why but I still think he's a competent defenseman, he just looks disinterested, defeated. A change of scenery would do both parties well.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
We probably shouldn't get our hopes up. Just don't see Holland making a move unless his hand is forced.

That and trading Quincey for anything less than a first is admitting defeat, not so sure if Holland would do that. I mean, but, he has to know it is a failed experiment. Right?

Don't ask me why but I still think he's a competent defenseman, he just looks disinterested, defeated. A change of scenery would do both parties well.

I agree with you completely, but it'll be really interesting to see what happens.

Once we're completely healthy and DD comes off LTIR. We're 894k over the cap. Send down Emmeron and it's still about 360k over. Holland may be forced into something. Demoting Sammy or Bert does very little, cap wise, and we know Cleary isn't going anywhere. All 3 of those guys have NTCs as well.

Quincey is the best viable option. Hopefully Holland can overlook his personal defeat and do what's best for the team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i have to backtrack on holland a bit if they do trade him and manage to get an upgrade on D. without overpaying like in certain day in february of 2012.

If they do trade him, which I don't think they can, there's no way in hell they get an upgrade on D.

If by some miracle they do, it's going to be because of the 1st round pick or good prospect they throw in on top of Quincey. Not Quincey himself.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
First I don't think Holland has balls to admit that he screwed up.

If he some how is willing to admit it and trade Q,

I think it will be one of the three:

Q + assets <-> Good top 4 D
This case Q will be a cap dump

Q + pick <-> for lower pick
assets <-> Good top 4 D
Same as 1. but need two deals since the team doesn't want the cap hit/salary back.

3. Q <-> Another struggling D
This is just change of scenery kind of deal.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
You know when HSJ is saying something, we've reached critical mass. I've held out for Quincey getting his **** together, but he's had more than enough time (and a full camp). He is what he for this team, which is poor.

I don't know why anyone would take him, though. As unlikely as Sammy, maybe less so.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I agree with you completely, but it'll be really interesting to see what happens.

Once we're completely healthy and DD comes off LTIR. We're 894k over the cap. Send down Emmeron and it's still about 360k over. Holland may be forced into something. Demoting Sammy or Bert does very little, cap wise, and we know Cleary isn't going anywhere. All 3 of those guys have NTCs as well.

Quincey is the best viable option. Hopefully Holland can overlook his personal defeat and do what's best for the team.
Yea, Holland is out of his element in this situation even though he did it to himself. I'm sure he'll figure something out. I want to see him make a trade though, no cop out of waiving someone or LTIR. Make a move, be aggressive.

But I have to imagine Babcock was in Holland's ear about getting Cleary on the team. I mean, how often do you hear a coach say he's soandso player's biggest fan? And they offered him a one year contract. And Babcock, unjustifiably, has given Cleary every opportunity in the world. It's almost like they are Bonnie and Clyd'ing it and having the final hoorah.

Abdelkader for a draft pick to a team out West that needs some bottom six reinforcement is realistic. Sheahan or Callahan can do what Gator does. And honestly, who doesn't want to make a Tommy Boy joke every time Callahan has the puck?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
And who the hell is going to take the guy?
That's the question. Probably nobody.

Maybe There is another dman struggling so

lilja4mvp*

LOL

as if anyone would even consider taking this guy with his performance at his salary.

FICTION CAN BE FUN!

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
What would the possibility be of trading him (possibly retaining salary) to one of the following (Buffalo, Ottawa, Calgary, NYI, AVs, and Florida) since they have abundance of cap any some may need help hitting the cap floor for the next few years? I would imagine Ottawa, Florida, and Buffalo wouldn't want to give us any help especially since we are all Atlantic teams but I would think Florida and Buffalo would need some help hitting the cap floor for especially. Best case scenario we trade Quincey to one of those teams for nothing and he still benefits our team when we play against them. This is just me being optimistic but there are teams that need Top 4 D help that may see something worth it to gamble on Quincey. He didn't fit in our scheme and looked like a pole 95% of the time but it definitely possible that he could be traded.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Neither do I. I'd agree that this is a sign the Wings are looking to trade him.

Yeah, that was my thought. At least, even if they don't trade him it is a good sign that they don't want him back.

tunasnacks*

What would the possibility be of trading him (possibly retaining salary) to one of the following (Buffalo, Ottawa, Calgary, NYI, AVs, and Florida) since they have abundance of cap any some may need help hitting the cap floor for the next few years? I would imagine Ottawa, Florida, and Buffalo wouldn't want to give us any help especially since we are all Atlantic teams but I would think Florida and Buffalo would need some help hitting the cap floor for especially. Best case scenario we trade Quincey to one of those teams for nothing and he still benefits our team when we play against them. This is just me being optimistic but there are teams that need Top 4 D help that may see something worth it to gamble on Quincey. He didn't fit in our scheme and looked like a pole 95% of the time but it definitely possible that he could be traded.

Florida would be a good destination for him and Samuelsson (again). The place you send players for their careers to die. Maybe send a few there for Campbell?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If they do trade him, which I don't think they can, there's no way in hell they get an upgrade on D.

If by some miracle they do, it's going to be because of the 1st round pick or good prospect they throw in on top of Quincey. Not Quincey himself.

Sure they can. Trade him for a pick, call up XO. Boom, upgrade. :D

I actually think an upgrade might be possible if they can make salaries work, though. I still think Florida is a big possibility as they look to dump cash. Detroit would have to add to it, but if Florida really wants to dump vets/contracts, they might be able to work out something for Campbell. And someone like Q would probably have to go the other way just to keep Florida cap compliant this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->