Trade Proposals

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Anyone know when the OA and regular trade deadline are this year?

Key dates
WJC Player Participate Trade Freeze:
Starts: December 9th
Ends: January 5th
Entire OHL trade freeze
Starts: December 19th
Ends: December 28th
Trade deadline
January 9th - OA
January 10th - Rest of league

Correct me if im wrong

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Key dates
WJC Player Participate Trade Freeze:
Starts: December 9th
Ends: January 5th
Entire OHL trade freeze
Starts: December 19th
Ends: December 28th
Trade deadline
January 9th - OA
January 10th - Rest of league

Correct me if im wrong
WJ players would have to be the 6th as the gold metal game is on the 5th. Trade freeze for the non-players would start on the 16th as some teams play their last game that night and start their break - kids can't be traded while on Christmas break. The trade freeze lifted for them is the 27th - the day they are officially back. The trade deadline is usually the Monday for OA's and the Tuesday for the rest so the 8th and 9th is likely.

Edit - all of this would be a lot easier in the OHL would just put this sheet on their website -
Then none of us would have to "guess" this!

Reactions: LDN

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Just thinking out loud here but to me it would make a ton of sense for Saginaw to trade Cormier to OS and get a bunch of picks and then turn around and get DiPietro from WSR.

SAG has 3 2nds in the next draft alone and likely won't be able to fit any of those players into the team next year because almost every guy is returning.

Don't know if they'd do it, but SAG would make a ton of sense. DiPietro would fit their window and they have the young players/picks to do it

Reactions: OSA

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Just thinking out loud here but to me it would make a ton of sense for Saginaw to trade Cormier to OS and get a bunch of picks and then turn around and get DiPietro from WSR.

SAG has 3 2nds in the next draft alone and likely won't be able to fit any of those players into the team next year because almost every guy is returning.

Don't know if they'd do it, but SAG would make a ton of sense. DiPietro would fit their window and they have the young players/picks to do it
What would Cormier's value be? Since like you said Saginaw have the majority of their lineup returning next year so they'd be looking for picks to upgrade players later, would Cormier fetch like a 2nd and a 4th?
Would Owen Sound have interest in anybody else on Saginaw? Would they want Crawford? Is Szypula expendable?

If that were the case it'd be like-

Owen Sound receives:
Evan Cormier

Saginaw receives:
2nd & 4th
Michael Dipietro

Windsor receives:
Nicholas Porco
Chet Phillips/Danny Katic
3x 2018 2nds & 3 3rds

The value of picks and how close they are to the present and what that's worth is what I struggle to gauge the most. Also, what is Porco's value? He's a 4th overall pick (although we know others wouldn't report) but he doesn't have the greatest numbers. Do these trades make sense?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw could trade 2-2nds in 18, however, they need 1-2nd to keep the team balance for the future, 2 in 18 and 1 in 19 what more can you ask for. Porco is going to be a solid player his availability would have to be crucial to the deal. Crawford would add picks and or a 98 D might be the way to help them for 1.5 yrs? Seems like we could make a deal but at what poiht is it to much?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Generals, DiPietro is being bantered about all over the league. Wonder how many teams he would really report to? I think if he gave up his NTC the list of teams would be very small. Skilled players like him would want a chance to win a cup if moved usually don't you think?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Generals, DiPietro is being bantered about all over the league. Wonder how many teams he would really report to? I think if he gave up his NTC the list of teams would be very small. Skilled players like him would want a chance to win a cup if moved usually don't you think?

Yeah no idea what DiPietro would say to a potential deal, I obviously don't know him at all (I'm sure there are very few, if not none, on here that do). Was more just saying it would make a ton of sense for a very young but talented team like Saginaw to move the picks in the coming draft that they don't need and add some big get who will be back. None bigger than DiPietro

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah no idea what DiPietro would say to a potential deal, I obviously don't know him at all (I'm sure there are very few, if not none, on here that do). Was more just saying it would make a ton of sense for a very young but talented team like Saginaw to move the picks in the coming draft that they don't need and add some big get who will be back. None bigger than DiPietro
Why wont Windsor just build around Dipietro next season? SO just trade away guys they know wont be back next season and load up on picks and young players for next year.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Why wont Windsor just build around Dipietro next season? SO just trade away guys they know wont be back next season and load up on picks and young players for next year.

Because Windsor is going to be terrible next year. They will lose Brown/Luchuk/Day (probably will lose them this year at the deadline, but even if they keep them, they're gone next year). And they have no 2nds or 3rds over the next 5 drafts so its not like a ton of young talent will be added quickly. By the time Windsor is ready to be a good team again, DiPietro won't be in the league anymore

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Because Windsor is going to be terrible next year. They will lose Brown/Luchuk/Day (probably will lose them this year at the deadline, but even if they keep them, they're gone next year). And they have no 2nds or 3rds over the next 5 drafts so its not like a ton of young talent will be added quickly. By the time Windsor is ready to be a good team again, DiPietro won't be in the league anymore
He is a guy you can build a team around though.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
He is a guy you can build a team around though.

Not really. Like I just said, by the time Windsor is going to be ready to be good again, DiPietro is long out of the OHL. You build around '01 players, not '99s.

All DiPietro would do for Windsor next year is win them some games that they don't deserve to win but the team won't be good. So it might just take them from 1st overall pick to 4th/5th overall pick, which isn't a positive if you're in a full rebuild

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
exactly. Windsor is in no position to win anything relevant for 2-4 years

as for saginaw, makes a ton of sense
they have a billion picks that at some point you have to start using. Imo 2nd/3rd round picks obviously have value but having 7/8 of them over a 2-3 window is not valuable unless you are using them for trades

i said before that they would also make a ton of sense for Lodnia. Lodnia was rumored to be on market earlier in year. Though he has NTC as well (think he used it last year with OSH), he also was born in Novi, Michigan - about 1 hour from Saginaw. That area is familiar to him. Makes sense. And i could see erie, assuming they get a 2000 or 2001 for Raddysh, not demanding a player for Lodnia but just picks. Lodnia back next year for Saginaw so win-win.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not really. Like I just said, by the time Windsor is going to be ready to be good again, DiPietro is long out of the OHL. You build around '01 players, not '99s.

All DiPietro would do for Windsor next year is win them some games that they don't deserve to win but the team won't be good. So it might just take them from 1st overall pick to 4th/5th overall pick, which isn't a positive if you're in a full rebuild
he already is impacting them this year with draft position. If they keep him and Luchuk and/or Day - this team is probably not getting better than a 5/6 overall pick. I would love erie to be more competitive myself but we are the same position as Windsor for a rebuild --- and it looks like erie is locking up at least a top 3/4 pick with a chance to tank for 1/2. And thats more important in the long run then a 7/8 seed get swept in round 1 season

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
exactly. Windsor is in no position to win anything relevant for 2-4 years

as for saginaw, makes a ton of sense
they have a billion picks that at some point you have to start using. Imo 2nd/3rd round picks obviously have value but having 7/8 of them over a 2-3 window is not valuable unless you are using them for trades

i said before that they would also make a ton of sense for Lodnia. Lodnia was rumored to be on market earlier in year. Though he has NTC as well (think he used it last year with OSH), he also was born in Novi, Michigan - about 1 hour from Saginaw. That area is familiar to him. Makes sense. And i could see erie, assuming they get a 2000 or 2001 for Raddysh, not demanding a player for Lodnia but just picks. Lodnia back next year for Saginaw so win-win.

Agreed. Erie needs picks as badly as Windsor does so to me Erie and Windsor should be blowing up the Saginaw GMs phone-lines the next two weeks. But just so you know, despite OHL insiders reporting that Lodnia was gunna be traded for Cirelli, Hunt said no to that from the beginning. It was McShane or the deal wasn't going to happen despite Erie trying to sell Lodnia instead. NTC was never used last year for Lodnia (not with the Gens anyways)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Keeping DiPietro is tough for Windsor. He'll get you some wins but he can't do it on his own and we've seen that this year. No goaltender can do it on his own.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Agreed. Erie needs picks as badly as Windsor does so to me Erie and Windsor should be blowing up the Saginaw GMs phone-lines the next two weeks. But just so you know, despite OHL insiders reporting that Lodnia was gunna be traded for Cirelli, Hunt said no to that from the beginning. It was McShane or the deal wasn't going to happen despite Erie trying to sell Lodnia instead. NTC was never used last year for Lodnia (not with the Gens anyways)
who knows, rumors were floating around erie circles about that. He was probably discussed. But just like Dave Brown would deny it so would Hunt. Obviously after the get of McShane he is going to be all in on him and not be speaking about another player - especially one not even on his team. So even if there were heated discussions involving him - he cant or wont talk about

I do know that Lodnia was pretty selective coming out of the draft. Could have been the reason he fell a bit. A chance he wanted to stay in America and still does? his family is currently living in California and that is a far hike regardless. So him family moved with him initially to erie. Maybe thats why he fell to erie? he wanted to stay in US/easier for his family to move with him? idk. but that would make sense if he did indeed use NTC. Which is why i think Saginaw makes sense

but yes Windsor and Erie in same boat with needing to completely rebuild.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Doubt very much DiPietro would go to Saginaw. Not sure he would want to leave the Spits. If he does I believe he will go to the team that gives him a chance to win a cup. Just a hypothetical example. If he went to the Soo who are one of the teams favoured to win the OHL DiPietro would be in a great franchise with some skilled prospects. Kill two birds with one stone.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
DiPietro to the 67’s makes a ton of sense.

1> This is year one of the competitive two year window. This matches DiPietro’s age eligibility window perfectly
2> They are currently burning a valuable OA spot on an overage goalie sporting an .882 Save%
3> The 67’s have LOADS of picks available (Ten 2nds and Eight 3rds over the next five drafts)
4> The celebration of their 50th season is forefront in the marketing of the team. They need to be more competitive and a goalie that can win games himself vs Tremblay in net now is probably a goal per game or there abouts difference.
5> Ottawa is a big market with NHL coverage so they would get their fair share of playoff TV if they were to become a contender

Reactions: dirty12 and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've liked Ottawa from a trading-partner standpoint for a while. Even if Windsor gets five 2nds, three 3rds, a 4th, and a propsect or two, why not a Brown/DiPietro package?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I've liked Ottawa from a trading-partner standpoint for a while. Even if Windsor gets five 2nds, three 3rds, a 4th, and a propsect or two, why not a Brown/DiPietro package?

Because this is a two year window for the 67’s, it is probably better to get the goalie this year and then maybe another cheaper asset.

The only significant player they lose after this season is OA Matt Foget. Potentially they lose 19 year old Travis Barron. He is probably 50-50 to return as an OA.

If they blow their load this year, it may be tougher for them to make a move next year when the team is much more mature.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Can't see OS making any sort of play for DiPietro in Windosr especially with DeGray having limited picks in the cupboard.

If OS isn't in the postition to make a run in the post-season I could see OS building for 2 seasons from now and bringing in some young pieces and picks for the next 2 seasons to build around and still stay in the middle of the pack and contend for a post-sason spot still and gain experience for when the team finally peaks again.

However there's still a ton of hockey yet to be played for everyone in the league and could see the Attack bringing in a young piece for 2 seasons from now if the right deal comes along to add to what could and probaly be a young core of talent next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->