Trade Proposals

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
We were assessing Top 10 picks, not first rounders. It was for the purpose of the likelyhood of Sarnia trading Rees.
oh so the point then becomes that 16 year olds are actually traded more. top 10 picks would not be traded as much because top 5 picks are far too talented to be moved and generally speaking...teams that just got a top 10 pick, but especially a top 5 pick, are not going to be "going for it" the following season - they are rebuilding - hence the top 5 to top 10 pick... those guy thus are bound be less likely to be moved. And Rees at 9 is on the closer end to being outside a top 10 pick then being a top 5 pick.

16 year olds are not that rare to seen move. its a unique circumstance when a team like sarnia picks 9 then might be going for it the following season. But if thats the price it will take to land Brown/Raddysh, which could be the case if SSM/OS/PBO/LDN or just one team is willing to part with their 2001, then Sarnia will either have to trade Rees or be on the outside looking in. No they dont need Raddysh/Brown but I wonder if they would feel differently in April if the other teams in the West spent for those big time difference makers. Because generally when big time players are moved to teams that already are considered a top 3 to top 5 contender in the league, that usually puts them over the top...compared to teams that decide to be a bit cheaper

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
oh so the point then becomes that 16 year olds are actually traded more. top 10 picks would not be traded as much because top 5 picks are far too talented to be moved and generally speaking...teams that just got a top 10 pick, but especially a top 5 pick, are not going to be "going for it" the following season - they are rebuilding - hence the top 5 to top 10 pick... those guy thus are bound be less likely to be moved. And Rees at 9 is on the closer end to being outside a top 10 pick then being a top 5 pick.

16 year olds are not that rare to seen move. its a unique circumstance when a team like sarnia picks 9 then might be going for it the following season. But if thats the price it will take to land Brown/Raddysh, which could be the case if SSM/OS/PBO/LDN or just one team is willing to part with their 2001, then Sarnia will either have to trade Rees or be on the outside looking in. No they dont need Raddysh/Brown but I wonder if they would feel differently in April if the other teams in the West spent for those big time difference makers. Because generally when big time players are moved to teams that already are considered a top 3 to top 5 contender in the league, that usually puts them over the top...compared to teams that decide to be a bit cheaper

I think the point is that Sarnia is good enough where the can make upgrades that don't cost them Rees that would still make them good enough to be able to win it all

Reactions: ottersguy

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
MOST IMPORTANTLY, we did see three significant deals last year for arguably the top 3 forwards on the market and only one of those players went for a package including a 1st rounder (McShane #19). Therefore, it is not a certainty that Brown and Raddysh will be traded for a 2001 1st. Erie and Winsor will definitly ask for that but it doesn’t mean their best package will include that piece.

That is my point. I am sorry if I have bogged down the topic. I jsut found it interesting that there was so much force behind the value of player A and player B in relation to 2001 compensation. The reality is there needs to be a proper fit. A team that picked in the top 10 is not normally willing to part with that player; therefore, there may not be a solid fit. IT happens. No sense square pegging a round hole.
and my point is that London didnt need to trade away a 2000 last year because they had a plethra of picks in drafts (and not 2020-2022 drafts..more like 2018-2019 draft). Sarnia DOES NOT come close to that type of ammo. They are a bit closer to Erie last year with picks..though they do have a few more picks..thus Erie had to move McShane. Bracco is so self explanatory. He demanded to go to Windsor. End of discussion. If he would have been more open to other options, Kitchener could be sitting there with McShane this year. Bracco to me was far too unique because of the Memorial Cup. Outlier more than the norm. And one last thing....cool McShane went 19th and Rees went 9th. McShane was i believe leading the league or at least top 3 for 2000 year old scorers up to the point he was traded. Regardless of his draft position, he looked special and was contributing immediately. I dont think Erie said "well he is only 19th overall pick so we can trade him." He looked just as special, who knows maybe more (havent seen enough of Rees to know) as Rees does this year. Who cares about draft position once you get to picks 7,8 and beyond. The drafting in this league never seems to be about best available. It's what each team values. Article last year after Erie drafted McShane points to this. They were "laughed at" for taking a 1st round timeout. The reason? Dave Brown said they felt they would get player X with their 1st round pick. They had McShane as a top 5 player in the draft..so when he fell to them..clearly because other teams didnt view him the same...erie ended up taking him

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think the point is that Sarnia is good enough where the can make upgrades that don't cost them Rees that would still make them good enough to be able to win it all
maybe so. I would tend to believe that right now but I also think SSM is right there..and if they make those bigger moves...then what

You know as well as any that Oshawa in 2015 was probably good enough to make a deep run. But when they made the trades they did that year, it put them over the top.

OS could fix a lot with a goalie upgrade. And London can always surprise you.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
maybe so. I would tend to believe that right now but I also think SSM is right there..and if they make those bigger moves...then what

You know as well as any that Oshawa in 2015 was probably good enough to make a deep run. But when they made the trades they did that year, it put them over the top.

OS could fix a lot with a goalie upgrade. And London can always surprise you.

For sure, I'm not saying Sarnia is going to run away with it (or even that Sarnia is going to win). Just that Sarnia can keep Rees and make other move (Hinz, picks, etc) and still be in the running late in the OHL playoffs with a chance to win it all

Reactions: HF92

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The East is wide open. Just because Barrie finished last overall it doesn't mean they cannot win the East this year. They are positioned well. Their roster is young but they have some decent assets to move should they decide that there is an opportunity.

It is unfortunate that most discussion surrounds Western teams because much of the trade activity will be players in the West moving to teams in the East.

With an Eastern Conference that is so wide open with very little separating first through eighth, you would think there was more discussion that way.

WJ did mention that the next draft is deep. So, it could be very likely that some of those teams with a lot of picks like Ottawa, maybe they will stand pat and use the picks instead. Who knows.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For sure, I'm not saying Sarnia is going to run away with it (or even that Sarnia is going to win). Just that Sarnia can keep Rees and make other move (Hinz, picks, etc) and still be in the running late in the OHL playoffs with a chance to win it all

Agreed. Sometimes all you need is to add some intangible elements to your roster and not mess with chemisTry.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
The East is wide open. Just because Barrie finished last overall it doesn't mean they cannot win the East this year. They are positioned well. Their roster is young but they have some decent assets to move should they decide that there is an opportunity.

It is unfortunate that most discussion surrounds Western teams because much of the trade activity will be players in the West moving to teams in the East.

With an Eastern Conference that is so wide open with very little separating first through eighth, you would think there was more discussion that way.

WJ did mention that the next draft is deep. So, it could be very likely that some of those teams with a lot of picks like Ottawa, maybe they will stand pat and use the picks instead. Who knows.
Ottawa has enough picks this coming year to fill two rosters. They will deal some of these picks away for a player and possibly swap picks for 2019, 2020 drafts. Having that many picks will only cause too many players in camp as well having to find the ice time for them all. Players won't report or Ottawa will end up using high picks on US players that probably won't report. Better to deal a couple away and get a good solid player back and swap with someone who needs the picks this year. Ottawa can be in a very good spot if the GM does some magic before the deadline.

WJ

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Someone on the Spirit board brought up the idea of DiPietro considering the team is primed for 18/19. Just for fun I went and checked out our picks and came up with a possible offer. Does this seem realistic? I know the price is going to be insane but i think this would be Saginaw's ceiling for that deal:

OTT 2nd 18
KGN 2nd 18
KIT 2nd 18
(Won't really need these, no space for those players in 18/19)
SAR 3rd 19
SAG 3rd 20
and Player

Leaves 4 extra 2nds/3rds for buying in 18/19. Seems possibly feasible as long as the price isn't any more than that.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Someone on the Spirit board brought up the idea of DiPietro considering the team is primed for 18/19. Just for fun I went and checked out our picks and came up with a possible offer. Does this seem realistic? I know the price is going to be insane but i think this would be Saginaw's ceiling for that deal:

OTT 2nd 18
KGN 2nd 18
KIT 2nd 18
(Won't really need these, no space for those players in 18/19)
SAR 3rd 19
SAG 3rd 20
and Player

Leaves 4 extra 2nds/3rds for buying in 18/19. Seems possibly feasible as long as the price isn't any more than that.

Don’t want to be leaving voids in age groups if it can be avoided. A player & 5 - 2nds over 5 years is safer; and, still an amount no team would match imo

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa has enough picks this coming year to fill two rosters. They will deal some of these picks away for a player and possibly swap picks for 2019, 2020 drafts. Having that many picks will only cause too many players in camp as well having to find the ice time for them all. Players won't report or Ottawa will end up using high picks on US players that probably won't report. Better to deal a couple away and get a good solid player back and swap with someone who needs the picks this year. Ottawa can be in a very good spot if the GM does some magic before the deadline.

WJ

Very possible but there is a limit on the number of underage players you can have on the roster anyway. So, if Ottawa were to keep their picks, the 1st and two 2nd’s would probably play and. The two 3rds would go play Tier II for a season.

Also, just because they have a lot of returning players it doesn’t mean they are all good. This season we cut Pearce, Gardiner, and Evans who all played last season. That could happen again next season to make room.

Both Imports will return so no new guys there.

We should be able to make room for three forwards next year. But, with seven solid D-Men returning, I doubt they keep an 8th as a 16 year old.

I agree they should look to add a tier 1 goalie (DiPietro) and 3rd line centre and roll with that but I doubt they do anything other than bungle it up. It is James Boyd after all. He is a tool.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What's the possibility that Flint could be convinced to part with Fedor Gordeev this season? I think he'd be a shrewd pickup for the Battalion for next season. The Troops have an abundance of emerging forwards, especially on the wing, where the Firebirds seem to be lacking some scoring depth this year. The two teams have some history dealing with each other. I'd really like to see this one happen.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What's the possibility that Flint could be convinced to part with Fedor Gordeev this season? I think he'd be a shrewd pickup for the Battalion for next season. The Troops have an abundance of emerging forwards, especially on the wing, where the Firebirds seem to be lacking some scoring depth this year. The two teams have some history dealing with each other. I'd really like to see this one happen.

Guessing that Nattinen returns as an OA, Gordeev would be #2 D & best ‘99 born? It probably takes more than Butler would part with to acquire Gordeev.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Guessing that Nattinen returns as an OA, Gordeev would be #2 D & best ‘99 born? It probably takes more than Butler would part with to acquire Gordeev.
Getting Butler to make trades is like pulling hen's teeth. If he feels a player is worth more than offers coming in he will balk and keep the player. Can't blame him.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Calvin Martin has been healthy scratch for a few games now, Fowler ice time has been reduced drastically ( and he wasn't getting much to begin with )

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I dont see raddysh using his NTC at all. He very well could but if he has the opportunity to go play for a team that can make another run he seems like the guy that would gladly go, regardless of team. Combine that with the Raddysh family being connected to erie and Dave Brown for 5.5 years. The family is humble and classy and Taylor understands what Dave did last year in particular to chase a title. He knows we need the assets. I see him telling Dave he will go anywhere that Dave feels is the best offer. That's just the type of guy Taylor is. Not a diva. Besides it would be a move that only lasts 3 to 5 months

I actually wanna change this , and say he already used it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It don't disagree they'd value him highly, but I'm wondering if their weakness on the wings and general lack of scoring depth could provoke them to make that kind of move. The Battalion are in a position next season where some decent forwards may be playing outside the top six. Guys putting up half decent numbers like Brad Chenier or Andy Baker, or a younger guy like Rhys Forhan. I think the Battalion would be better suited shopping these guys today trying to address their needs on defense for next season.

Getting Butler to make trades is like pulling hen's teeth. If he feels a player is worth more than offers coming in he will balk and keep the player. Can't blame him.
Without question. To his downfall he holds on to a lot of these guys because he's convinced 'anything can happen' in the playoffs. Very frustrating in years where the team is barely scraping into the playoffs.

True. Amadio was a fine example of that.

He was a fine example, but I'd argue it was almost worth it just to see him hit the 50 goal mark as a member of the Battalion. Kyle Wood on the other hand, could've put us in the playoffs last year with some of the assets he would've returned from a team like London or Kitchener.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am sure you have a real good idea of what is best for the battalion. But you should have a 2nd glance at the age and draft position of Flint’s forwards. The players you mention would not be nearly as important as Gordeev for them. And, Flint can simply use only extra 2019 picks to acquire any OA F they want next season to surround the 8-10 forwards picked inside of top 50 born 2000-2002.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I don't see them looking to move Gordeev for a couple of reasons. First, he fits nicely into what appears to be Flint's time frame for being very good and making an extended playoff run. Second, he hasn't played especially well this season, and because of that, probably wouldn't bring the return that Flint would want.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It would appear the Colts and Wolves have made a pretty big slash on the trade front today.

Barrie sending Kirill Nizhnikov to the Wolves and receiving back (2) seconds both the Wolves '21 and '23, Owen Sound's 3rd in '18 and Hamilton's 5th in '19 in return for the import player.

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
It would appear the Colts and Wolves have made a pretty big slash on the trade front today.

Barrie sending Kirill Nizhnikov to the Wolves and receiving back (2) seconds both the Wolves '21 and '23, Owen Sound's 3rd in '18 and Hamilton's 5th in '19 in return for the import player.

Kirill is not an import player.... neither teams import numbers are effected by this trade.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Non-import
Last years Miss defect traded to Barrie for ten picks (no idea how many conditionals)

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
wonder what London would get IF Mete is returned offer Mete + Pu or Jones maybe they flip Raaymakers to someone like Owen Sound?

Reactions: howndawg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->