Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Listen I hope you are right but understand AHL and Pre-season doesn't translate into instant NHL success. It takes time.

Also, keep in mind of the players that you are stating wont be around next season 2 of them are currently starting centers for the Leafs. If like you say Leivo and Kapanen are forgone conclusions to be part of the big club, they are wingers. Which would mean centers are needed!!!!! Unless Johnnson can play center which from what I know he cant. My guess is that he will get a shot to make club, but there will be needs that need to be filled prior to him becoming an everyday NHLer. And I think it will do him some good getting more reps against AHL north American talent for another season.
Aaltonen can play center and was described as Babs by "pretty close to NHL ready" after the pre-season. He could be a candidate to take over for Moore as the 4th line C. As for the hole left by Bozak, it's seemed like the plan all along has been to get Nylander ready to move to C full-time next season, but maybe management could go off-script a bit and take another swing at signing Thornton in the off-season.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Brown
Johnsson-Kadri-Leivo
Martin-Aaltonen-Kapanen
Soshnikov

Who knows what the lines would be, but I could see the forward group looking something like that for the 2018-19 opening night. Lots can happen in the meantime, though, and the depth behind those 13 guys would be pretty thin (especially at C), so your guess is probably as good as mine.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
But the numbers are also clear as day that he’s grossly underperforming. Management can’t be totally blind to that.

I agree that Babcock may not want to trade him, but I wonder how unanimous that is within the entire management group.

Of all then forthcoming UFAs he’s the easiest to replace

Oh I agree with you that he's been awful but Babcock doesn't seem to agree and like it or not, he's got a big say with what they do with player management.

Also, I think he's still a useful player but he just needs to play about 5-10 minutes less.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
But the numbers are also clear as day that he’s grossly underperforming. Management can’t be totally blind to that.

I agree that Babcock may not want to trade him, but I wonder how unanimous that is within the entire management group.

Of all then forthcoming UFAs he’s the easiest to replace

He's the least productive of the three (Komarov, Bozak, JVR), but he might also be the easiest to sign. There might be more reward in re-signing JVR, or even Bozak, but there's more risk too in that those contracts may be tougher to unload if things go south. Of course, I didn't expect the Cup champs to offer Hunwick a 3 year deal, so the unexpected certainly happens when it comes to UFA contracts and whether that surprise is positive or not is subjective.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Much as I wouldn't mind seeing Komarov and Polak shot into the sun, trading/waiving one of Babcock's "toys" would speak to a pretty huge rift in the Leafs' front office, in which case our problems might run a lot deeper than Komarov and Polak.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's the least productive of the three (Komarov, Bozak, JVR), but he might also be the easiest to sign. There might be more reward in re-signing JVR, or even Bozak, but there's more risk too in that those contracts may be tougher to unload if things go south. Of course, I didn't expect the Cup champs to offer Hunwick a 3 year deal, so the unexpected certainly happens when it comes to UFA contracts and whether that surprise is positive or not is subjective.

I suppose I don’t see the incentive to resign him considering the Leafs have so many younger NHL ready wingers looking for a roster spot . Even less so considering his pretty big dip in play this season.

I like the guy, he’s fun to watch but sometimes management has to make tough decisions

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I suppose I don’t see the incentive to resign him considering the Leafs have so many younger NHL ready wingers looking for a roster spot . Even less so considering his pretty big dip in play this season.

I like the guy, he’s fun to watch but sometimes management has to make tough decisions

I don't necessarily disagree. I just think his PK/defensive situation ability could make him useful - there's a $ amount and term on that though - whereas if/when JVR and Bozak aren't producing points, that's potentially problematic. Great for us if we can replace from within as much as possible though.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Aaltonen can play center and was described as Babs by "pretty close to NHL ready" after the pre-season. He could be a candidate to take over for Moore as the 4th line C. As for the hole left by Bozak, it's seemed like the plan all along has been to get Nylander ready to move to C full-time next season, but maybe management could go off-script a bit and take another swing at signing Thornton in the off-season.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Brown
Johnsson-Kadri-Leivo
Martin-Aaltonen-Kapanen
Soshnikov

Who knows what the lines would be, but I could see the forward group looking something like that for the 2018-19 opening night. Lots can happen in the meantime, though, and the depth behind those 13 guys would be pretty thin (especially at C), so your guess is probably as good as mine.

So we are back on this Nylander to C. He's not being moved to C so we can stop this theory. He is too valuable next to Matthews and should remain together with him for his entire career as Lindros was with LeClair, or Yzerman with Shanahan or Jagr with Lemieux. I can see a lineup as follows which unfortunately still keeps Johnsson out of lineup.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Kapanen- UFA- Brown
Martin-Aaltonen- Leivo/Soshnikov

Only way that Nylander slides to center is if they resign JVR but if you are posturing with JVR gone as well. That is too much hit on the wings to take losing both Nylander and JVR. You will not and can not replace that production and skill in house with what we have. Delusional if you think so.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Reality time, this team won't win the cup this year and JVR's value will be skyhigh. He could put some teams into the playoffs and who knows ? Everyone is saying we can't trade him... not now, I say. Nylander and Marner are in a sophmore funk and Mathews isn't 100 percent for a while. Do you see this team in the semi's ? Meh... We won't beat Tampa or Pitts and we still haven't gotten past Washington or even Boston. If something nice comes along, this team better look at it. We got drunk on the parade chatter. I see this team finishing about 10th-12th overall and JVR wont lift us into the semi's. The build isn't over and we are a major piece(top Dman) or two away(PForward with impact). That's right, in a strong draft I'm looking at 15th overall pick for JVR by TD and I'm running. This team needs to win a round before I'm selling the farm for a Karlson type guy and the PF we will still need to draft, most likely. I'm so happy another vet is having a career year right before $$$$$ days again! Sell high.

My hope would be if we move someone like JVR, its to a team that is on the outside looking in that is trying to make the playoffs.
The ideal situation is they dont make it, and the pick becomes a low chance lottery pick.

Philly (2 points out, no games in hand) - Great set of prospects, 19th in goals for, 10th best in goals allowed.
So many good young D, might be able to get one like Morin (LHD) or Myers (RHD)

Montreal (3 points out, -1 game in hand) - Bergevin may be looking to save his job if the Habs are on the outside looking in. 22nd in goals for. Juulsen + Scherbak/McCarron could be an interestig trade. ***Someone will hose Montreal near the TDL, I just hope its us***

Carolina (4 points back, 1 game in hand) - the plethora of great D prospects makes me happy. 29th in goals for. 13th best in goals allowed. J. Gauthier/Necas would be interesting targets. Necas speed as a 3C would be an insane luxury.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
So we are back on this Nylander to C. He's not being moved to C so we can stop this theory. He is too valuable next to Matthews and should remain together with him for his entire career as Lindros was with LeClair, or Yzerman with Shanahan or Jagr with Lemieux. I can see a lineup as follows which unfortunately still keeps Johnsson out of lineup.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Kapanen- UFA- Brown
Martin-Aaltonen- Leivo/Soshnikov

Only way that Nylander slides to center is if they resign JVR but if you are posturing with JVR gone as well. That is too much hit on the wings to take losing both Nylander and JVR. You will not and can not replace that production and skill in house with what we have. Delusional if you think so.
I introduced the original post you were responding to by saying that losing JVR's offense will hurt. On the other hand, Leivo, Kapanen, Johnsson, Aaltonen, etc. should be able to replace the 30-40 points Bozak's putting up, and make a helluva lot more of an offensive contribution than Komarov and Moore (and Martin.... eventually) are. If that can be compounded by some improved team defense, we'll manage without a $7M/year JVR.

As for Nylander moving to center, Babcock has said outright that he sees him as a center, he's been given a few "auditions" there in practice and in game situations and has been taking his share of draws this season. It's possible they go another route (especially with our thin depth at C), but writing it off seems as premature as comparing him and Matthews to Jagr and Lemieux.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I introduced the original post you were responding to by saying that losing JVR's offense will hurt. On the other hand, Leivo, Kapanen, Johnsson, Aaltonen, etc. should be able to replace the 30-40 points Bozak's putting up, and make a helluva lot more of an offensive contribution than Komarov and Moore (and Martin.... eventually) are. If that can be compounded by some improved team defense, we'll manage without a $7M/year JVR.

If we are not resigning JVR then they better have another signing up their sleeve alla Marleau for the center position. Because I am not worried of replacing Moore and Komarov. Those can be replaced easily with Alttonen and Kapanen. Money saved and better play.

But you want to replace JVR and Bozak with what??? Sorry I don't think Johnnson is the answer or Leivo either. Or moving Nylander to center.

They will either resigning JVR or they are going to sign another center. If you bring in Tavares I have no issues replacing JVR with Johnsson on his line. But if you are going to bring some non-quality center that is at least as Bozak's level. Then it doesn't work

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
"What?! Replace Bozak, JVR, Komarov and Moore with Leivo, Kapanen, Johnsson and Aaltonen?! That's ridiculous! .....we should sign Tavares."

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
My hope would be if we move someone like JVR, its to a team that is on the outside looking in that is trying to make the playoffs.
The ideal situation is they dont make it, and the pick becomes a low chance lottery pick.

Philly (2 points out, no games in hand) - Great set of prospects, 19th in goals for, 10th best in goals allowed.
So many good young D, might be able to get one like Morin (LHD) or Myers (RHD)

Montreal (3 points out, -1 game in hand) - Bergevin may be looking to save his job if the Habs are on the outside looking in. 22nd in goals for. Juulsen + Scherbak/McCarron could be an interestig trade. ***Someone will hose Montreal near the TDL, I just hope its us***

Carolina (4 points back, 1 game in hand) - the plethora of great D prospects makes me happy. 29th in goals for. 13th best in goals allowed. J. Gauthier/Necas would be interesting targets. Necas speed as a 3C would be an insane luxury.

You don't subtract a JVR and strengthen an opposing team at the TDL.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Much as I wouldn't mind seeing Komarov and Polak shot into the sun, trading/waiving one of Babcock's "toys" would speak to a pretty huge rift in the Leafs' front office, in which case our problems might run a lot deeper than Komarov and Polak.

I tend to believe that Babs would not hesitate to replace Polak and Leo if he had suitable replacements.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I tend to believe that Babs would not hesitate to replace Polak and Leo if he had suitable replacements.

Polak bye bye...hello Carrick
Komarov bye bye.... hello Kapanen

Sorry don't buy the excuse. Babs is a very stubborn man. His way.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Unless Mathews is 100 percent and we get a top 2 dman, no way we get past semi finals. Our goaltending has been masking our weaknesses. Trade Jvr and get something. I have seen too many teams jump the gun and pay for it. We are not one player away.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Kappy isn't an agitator and Carrick can't kill penalties to Babs' liking.
As Walshy said, Komarov isn't an agitator anymore. And Polak's PK ability is easily offset by the guaranteed 2+ PIM he gets every game.
Unless Mathews is 100 percent and we get a top 2 dman, no way we get past semi finals. Our goaltending has been masking our weaknesses. Trade Jvr and get something. I have seen too many teams jump the gun and pay for it. We are not one player away.
Although I agree with you on trading JVR, isn't getting a top 2 dman = past semi's only one player away from it?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kappy isn't an agitator and Carrick can't kill penalties to Babs' liking.

Hard to kill penalties if your the guy in the penalty box and Komarov is playing like a plug so I couldn't give two ***** if he's agitating or not

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As Walshy said, Komarov isn't an agitator anymore. And Polak's PK ability is easily offset by the guaranteed 2+ PIM he gets every game.

Although I agree with you on trading JVR, isn't getting a top 2 dman = past semi's only one player away from it?

You want to be in a position where the one player comes from the farm.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
You want to be in a position where the one player comes from the farm.
Ideally yes so they're more cost controlled, but PIT getting their last piece in Kessel through trade seemed to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad