Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Depending on how they view internal options for centre next season, Backlund could certainly be an interesting option. The price would have to be right though - ie in the range of 5-5.5 mil over 5 years or so

Agreed, this is only if Willy isnt seen as a C. I would think that considering Turris signed for 6 x 6 that would have to set the market for Backlund and JVR. All drafted in the same year.

Turris
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

JVR
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Backlund
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JVR has already said he would take a haircut for term.... I wouldnt be opposed to a 5 x 7 deal.

Backlund is a lesser C than turris, He might be had for 5.5.... That would work perfectly fine. After the Marleau/Martin Contracts expire, we would have plenty of Room for a big name D.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1. Do you guys ever think Nylander and Babcock will function together?

2. If the answer is no, is a deal between CAR-TOR for Hanifin and Nylander as the main pieces something you guys would be okay with?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

2. If the answer is no, is a deal between CAR-TOR for Hanifin and Nylander as the main pieces something you guys would be okay with?

pretty significant + form Carolina there, Nylander is a far better talent than Hanifin

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
pretty significant + form Carolina there, Nylander is a far better talent than Hanifin

Defense is more of a long term investment, Hanifin already looks much better this year then last. We all remember how long it took Rielly.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm still not worried about Nylander. I don't like his treatment, and I don't quite like his response to that treatment, but I'm not worried. I'd bet that within a month, Nylander is back on the top line looking more like himself, and producing accordingly.

The only difference from last year is that Nylander then showed a determination that hasn't quite been there this year. Getting a wake up call was what spurred him to become one of our most consistent players. This year it's made him doubt himself.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Defense is more of a long term investment, Hanifin already looks much better this year then last. We all remember how long it took Rielly.

Still think that Nylander is the trophy piece in this deal. Carolina definitely needs to add.

I wouldn't be opposed to a deal as such:

Nylander
Carrick

for

Hanafin
Kruger

Toronto gains a 3rd line center in Kruger to replace Bozak behind Matthews and Kadri. And a top 4 dman,
Money saved on Nylander you can resign JVR. Don't think Hanafin will cost you more then what you signed Reilly on his deal. 4.5-5 million per.
Trade Bozak for picks
Trade Komarov for picks

Marleau-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Kadri-Marner
Hyman-Kruger-Kapanen
Martin-Moore-Soshnikov

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Hanafin
Borgman-Zaitsev

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Still think that Nylander is the trophy piece in this deal. Carolina definitely needs to add.

Nylander
Carrick

for

Hanafin
Kruger

Toronto gains a 3rd line center in Kruger to replace Bozak behind Matthews and Kadri. And a top 4 dman,
Money saved on Nylander you can resign JVR.
Trade Bozak for picks
Trade Komarov for picks

Marleau-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Kadri-Marner
Hyman-Kruger-Kapanen
Martin-Moore-Soshnikov

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Hanafin
Borgman-Zaitsev
I don't think Kruger is really much of an add, to be honest, especially because we're also giving up another player in the process.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Nylander
Carrick

for

Hanafin
Kruger

Money saved on Nylander you can resign JVR.
Trade Bozak for picks
Trade Komarov for picks

Marleau-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Kadri-Marner
Hyman-Kruger-Kapanen
Martin-Moore-Soshnikov

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Hanafin
Borgman-Zaitsev

You've just created two lines that can't score. We would be asking a lot from Kappy to turn the duo of Hyman & Kruger into anything but 15pt players.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Nylander
Carrick

for

Hanafin
Kruger

Money saved on Nylander you can resign JVR. Don't think Hanafin will cost you more then what you signed Reilly on his deal. 4.5-5 million per.
Trade Bozak for picks
Trade Komarov for picks

Marleau-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Kadri-Marner
Hyman-Kruger-Kapanen
Martin-Moore-Soshnikov

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Hanafin
Borgman-Zaitsev

I don't think Kruger is really much of an add, to be honest, especially because we're also giving up another player in the process.

I don't think Carolina has agreed with Kruger. I think he's sitting at 0-1 goals? Hanifin also plays the left side.

Might let you investigate Gardiner trade options (more likely in the off-season)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

1. Yes

2. Tough to do this deal because I'd rather not trade Nylander and Hanifin's a lefty. Hanifin should be a good add with upside, but we'd still need to find a RHD or a Hainsey type that can play effectively on his off side, or move one of our LHD there. Might be able to get that piece in a trade if Nylander is a C (or the team acquiring him views him as one), but if that were the case, I'd probably not want to trade him even more.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You've just created two lines that can't score. We would be asking a lot from Kappy to turn the duo of Hyman & Kruger into anything but 15pt players.

Ok then make the trade keep Kruger as the 4th line center for next season. Sign Tavares down the middle with money saved on Bozak, Komarov, and savings on Nylander contract.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Tavares-Brown
JVR-Kadri-Kapanen
Martin-Kruger-Soshnikov

D stays the same

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1. Yes

2. Tough to do this deal because I'd rather not trade Nylander and Hanifin's a lefty. Hanifin should be a good add with upside, but we'd still need to find a RHD or a Hainsey type that can play effectively on his off side, or move one of our LHD there. Might be able to get that piece in a trade if Nylander is a C (or the team acquiring him views him as one), but if that were the case, I'd probably not want to trade him even more.

What if you had Rielly and Hanifin long term on the left side and were able to add a guy like Doughty or Karlsson?

Rielly-Doughty
Hanifin-Liljegren
Dermott-? (Rasanen long term?)
Borgman

Just trying to be creative in how we construct the defense.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Ok then make the trade keep Kruger as the 4th line center for next season. Sign Tavares down the middle with money saved on Bozak, Komarov, and savings on Nylander contract.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Tavares-Brown
JVR-Kadri-Kapanen
Martin-Kruger-Soshnikov

D stays the same

Hard pass on a $3M 4th line C.

Looking at your lineup, don't think you are factoring bonuses into your salary projections.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
What if you had Rielly and Hanifin long term on the left side and were able to add a guy like Doughty or Karlsson?

Rielly-Doughty
Hanifin-Liljegren
Borgman

If we are going to get Doughty, I would much rather we pass on the Nylander/Hanifin trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If we are going to get Doughty, I would much rather we pass on the Nylander/Hanifin trade.

No crystal ball unfortunately, you should only make a trade if you think you'll be a better team, in the case of a trade like a Nylander-Hanifin trade, you have to feel you'll be better long term

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
No crystal ball unfortunately, you should only make a trade if you think you'll be a better team, in the case of a trade like a Nylander-Hanifin trade, you have to feel you'll be better long term

I'll wait it out then.

If we can upgrade from Gardiner to Doughty two summers from now, it would be well worth the wait.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Rielly-Doughty
Hanifin-Liljegren
Borgman

Can't argue with that blueline on paper! Carolina certainly seems like a good fit trade-wise considering areas of depth and need too. Tough to figure out our blueline because of how young/inexperienced some of the potential pieces are (Borgman, Dermott, Liljegren). If either of Doughty or Karlsson are available though, can't see how we don't pull out all the stops to get either in the blue and white, unless Zaitsev and Liljegren seem to unquestionably be the top two-thirds of a right side blueline that a team can win with by then. I wonder if a left side of Rielly-Dermott-Borgman is plausible as well?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Can't argue with that blueline on paper! Carolina certainly seems like a good fit trade-wise considering areas of depth and need too. Tough to figure out our blueline because of how young/inexperienced some of the potential pieces are (Borgman, Dermott, Liljegren). If either of Doughty or Karlsson are available though, can't see how we don't pull out all the stops to get either in the blue and white, unless Zaitsev and Liljegren seem to unquestionably be the top two-thirds of a right side blueline that a team can win with by then. I wonder if a left side of Rielly-Dermott-Borgman is plausible as well?

I was hoping to get Dermott in this season on the 3rd pairing, then gets next year, and Gardiner expires and boom, hopefully ready for 2nd pairing duties or we'd know if we needed external help.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

got to ask yourself, who has the longer future in Toronto Bab's or Willy? cause if they can't co exist best one of the two gets moved, and I doubt the Leafs will trade Babs!

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Therrien & now Julien vs. Galchenyuk for several years is the point where someone should ask if they can co-exist going forward.

Babcock vs. Nylander is worlds away from that.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I was hoping to get Dermott in this 3rd on the 3rd pairing, then gets next year, and Gardiner expires and boom, hopefully ready for 2nd pairing duties or we'd know if we needed external help.

Definitely would be great if things work out that way. I'm not sure how the pairings will end up going into next season. At minimum, I'd hope for more of a steady option in the Polak/Carrick slot. Wonder if either Dermott or Liljegren can make the jump from the start and who they replace/pair with if they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->