Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So what if no team steps up and offers the "Sergachev" type packaged deal. Does Sakic just keep Duchene and head into next season with him or does he come down in price?

Your right that the Habs are probably out on Duchene but so are all other teams at the moment. Sakic needs to come down a bit in order to get the Habs and others to really compete with each other on the actual value. Longer Sakic waits, the less value Duchene has!

For rebuilding/retooling teams MD's age and term of only 2 years is a big negative I would think. So Carolina might be out.

For contenders all you know is the guy has 2 years left, after that you don't know what Duchene will do. For a team like us, if he was a Hab March 1 we would be guaranteed of having him for 3 play-offs, now it is just for 2, so in my view, his value to us, and maybe other teams in our position, just went down.

Will be interesting this summer. Adding to what I said , you could have more teams in on Duchene, you could have more players available, and the Expansion Draft will create some situations. Am guessing as well that if Duchene is being affected by all this stuff, and my guess is he has, that Sakic will know he needs to move him before training camp.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sometimes GMs just hold on to assets and let them walk as UFA because they want to keep competing for 8th place every year.

The worst non-Habs case I can recall is when Florida held on to Jay Bouwmeester.

I think more pressure will be put on Sakic as time moves forward. Can Sakic afford to go past this off season draft? UFA period will force teams to spend and therefore some teams won't have cap space to make a trade. I think Sakic knows the market value really well at this stage based on the offers he got at the trade deadline. Then there is going to be other new teams that show interest at the draft.

What people have to understand is Duchene is only traded if the Aves acquire a package deal of player/prospect/picks that are near MacKinnon's age. Any other offer just don't make sense for their re build. Think about what Sakic is doing... he is looking at each team who needs a center, has cap space to make a trade, and also has draft picks/prospects he may be interested in. That narrows it down a bit IMO!

The biggest question is will a team step up and offer the Sergachev type package deal. I really like that MB is smart by not giving in as all other teams are doing the same. Sakic has a end game and so do other GM's that are interested. MB is smart to offer is best offer and stick to it. Let time go by and if the deal is right, Sakic will come calling. Then MB can bend a bit on the offer at the last moment... Draft Day! The Habs are just not in position to trade Sergachev at this stage. He's too important for the Habs and the Habs need to know what they are trading before they trade him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For rebuilding/retooling teams MD's age and term of only 2 years is a big negative I would think. So Carolina might be out.

For contenders all you know is the guy has 2 years left, after that you don't know what Duchene will do. For a team like us, if he was a Hab March 1 we would be guaranteed of having him for 3 play-offs, now it is just for 2, so in my view, his value to us, and maybe other teams in our position, just went down.

Will be interesting this summer. Adding to what I said , you could have more teams in on Duchene, you could have more players available, and the Expansion Draft will create some situations. Am guessing as well that if Duchene is being affected by all this stuff, and my guess is he has, that Sakic will know he needs to move him before training camp.

Agreed. Look at every GM in the league that may be interested in Duchene besides MB. Everybody knows the Habs want him. All teams are on record saying guys like Sergachev or Chabot are not available. So the "other" teams that are interested, need to offer more than what the Habs can offer (taking guys like Sergachev and Chabot off the table).

That leaves us to this... If the Avs are not interested in either Beaulieu or Juulsen (or maybe both) in a package deal, then there is no deal to be made with the Habs. What do other teams have to offer and is it better? Trading both Beaulieu and Juulsen is also a risk as well for the Habs in regards to the future I will have to add.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Another thing to consider is maybe the entire COL core will rebound this summer? Duchene still has two years after this, Landeskog another 4 (though maybe they might move him before his limited NTC kicks in). Anyhow, i think if Sakic makes a move, it would be like what we did and make a trade to add a high-end veteran. I don't think COL needs to blow it all up.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I think this is a big thing. There's probably more demand in the offseason, with non-playoff teams and teams with more cap flexibility entering into the fray, but there's also going to be greater supply as well. And while Duchene is good, I don't think he gets teams super excited when there are other centers available. Specifically 2-way centers. What happens if NJ starts shopping Henrique? or if Edmonton decides to shop RNH? or NYR and Zibanejad? Duchene is the best of those guys, but teams will start looking for a better fit. I'm sure Montreal prefers a strong two-way center over a guy like Duchene. It fits the coach and team needs better. But if the only choice there is Hanzal, well...

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Another thing to consider is maybe the entire COL core will rebound this summer? Duchene still has two years after this, Landeskog another 4 (though maybe they might move him before his limited NTC kicks in). Anyhow, i think if Sakic makes a move, it would be like what we did and make a trade to add a high-end veteran. I don't think COL needs to blow it all up.

Even if healthy, you're looking at a team giving Nieto, Colborne and Comeau real minutes. Johnson and Barrie are pretty much their only top-4 D-man. Zadorov is trending that way, but he's not there yet. Even if all their core guys are healthy and bounce back, they don't have depth. And it'll be pretty hard to build up depth in a year where there's a new franchise taking depth from everybody.

And their core guys have been trending down for a few seasons now. The Avs likely need a culture cleanse from the top down if they want the core to bounce back. And I'm not sure what the appetite is to relieve Sakic of his GM duties is.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Nah. You don't make as much noise as they did about trading big pieces of your core and then just say "well screw it, maybe next year will be better". And you don't have a historically bad season like COL are having and not make any major changes. I don't know if it's one or both, but somebody is going. Duchene and Landeskog knew almost all year their GM was looking at trading them, that's not something that's easy to come back from as a player when your GM doesn't have faith in you.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

The only reason why Duchene is on the table in the first place is because they're looking to trade from a position of strength for a position of need.

They're not trading Duchene because he's not part of the core, they're looking to move Duchene to find a solution to their LD situation, and that's why Sergachev pretty much has to be a staple on any proposal with Colorado.

If they can't get the kind of player they want on defense, they very well might stick with their guns.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Sometimes GMs just hold on to assets and let them walk as UFA because they want to keep competing for 8th place every year.

The worst non-Habs case I can recall is when Florida held on to Jay Bouwmeester.

True. We did this for many many years. Doesn't make it a good decision though ;)

Yep Bouwmeeters is a good example. Florida got Leopold and a 3rd round draft pick for him. I'm not a fan of Bouwmeeters but that was a very average return back then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only reason why Duchene is on the table in the first place is because they're looking to trade from a position of strength for a position of need.

They're not trading Duchene because he's not part of the core, they're looking to move Duchene to find a solution to their LD situation, and that's why Sergachev pretty much has to be a stable on any proposal with Colorado.

If they can't get the kind of player they want on defense, they very well might stick with their guns.

This was my original question. So you think Duchene is likely not traded unless Sakic doesn't get the "Sergachev" package return. I'm 50/50 on that one myself.

I do know that Sakic's job is on the line now if he trades Duchene for much less than the high price that was set. Aves fans will have his head on a stick lol

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
This was my original question. So you think Duchene is likely not traded unless Sakic doesn't get the "Sergachev" package return. I'm 50/50 on that one myself.

I do know that Sakic's job is on the line now if he trades Duchene for much less than the high price that was set. Aves fans will have his head on a stick lol

There's precedent that plays in Sakic's favor. Hall for Larsson was considered weak value at the time, but Larsson was still a young, established top 4 D with upside. Sergachev isn't established yet. There's also Johansen for Jones.

And we're not the only team interested either. I do think a strong LD prospect or a young LD top 4 is imperative to get any deal done, but as far as the rumored Galchenyuk/Sergachev/1st deal is concerned, that's just lunacy. If that's Sakic's ask, maybe he isn't looking to move Duchene after all.

Which is fine. He doesn't have to.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's precedent that plays in Sakic's favor. Hall for Larsson was considered weak value at the time, but Larsson was still a young, established top 4 D with upside. Sergachev isn't established yet. There's also Johansen for Jones.

And we're not the only team interested either. I do think a strong LD prospect or a young LD top 4 is imperative to get any deal done, but as far as the rumored Galchenyuk/Sergachev/1st deal is concerned, that's just lunacy. If that's Sakic's ask, maybe he isn't looking to move Duchene after all.

I've gone at war with some people about Duchene's contract term left over. I just don't think Duchene contract is the same as Johansen. I realize some think RFA and UFA don't matter when both players have 2 years till free agency. I just don't agree and I bet you all 30 NHL GM's also agree with how I see it! RFA and UFA are just not the same no matter how you look at it.

Look at guys who serve the minimum 7 years of RFA than go to UFA. (I can't think of any examples). Then look at past examples of guys who server 7-10+ years of RFA and then go to UFA. Usually the teams caves in and gives the player what they want but there are more cases where guys like Duchene go to UFA vs guys like Johansen go to UFA because of where they are in age and NHL years served. Duchene is on his 3 contract and has earned true UFA status after this contract. Johansen is going to sign his 3rd contract. Same as Galchenyuk. Habs will sign him long term and there is slim to none chance he goes to UFA in 2 seasons.

The Avs want full value for Duchene like he is signed for 6 years (+/-). All GM's are extremely worried about giving big time assets for a guy who can walk in 2 years. It's very risky!

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I posted this in another thread awhile ago....theres been a lot of talk about what we can afford to do when price and max are up. It's really not that hindering at all...

Goalies

Price 10
Montoya - 1 and change

Defense

Weber - 7.8
Sergachev - .925
Beaulieu - 3.5
Petry - 5.5
Pattern - .800
Juulsen - .800

Forwards

Pacioretty - 7
Galchenyuk - 6
Radulov - 6

Danault - 4 (just a guess)
Lekonen - no idea, lets say 3.750 like gallagher
Gallagher - 3.750

Shaw - 3.9
Byron - 1.16
McCarron - I dunno, 1 or 2, maybe more if he scores frequently

4th line, rookies UFA's

So by my count thats 67.8 million salary cap goes up 2-3 million a year, probably be at the very least 79 which would give us just over 11 million to sign a 4th line and other UFA's

Its really a guessing game after that, who knows what draftee's emerge, what signings we make, players we trade. But if we decided to keep the kids it looks pretty damn good

Instead of trading for duchene we could just wait until he's UFA and still have a completely wide open and maybe even further opened window IMO because lets be honest, Weber's a stay at home defensemen, he has been all season, he has been very effective at that role and he will continue to be so for many years because you simply dont need mobility to be successful at it. So beyond that our next key player is price and he'll be just 31 stil and we all know how long goalies can last especially elite ones like price...honestly you couldn't ask for two better positions to be the eldest of your cup crew than goalie and stay at home D because they both require such little strenuous movement to be what they are.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Still not a top 6 center.

Apart from face-offs, any definition of center that Galchenyuk doesn't meet also doesn't count Duchene as a center. And face-offs are the most overrated skill in the NHL.

For me, Galchnyuk plays center and 4th among forwards in TOI. Taht's atop-6 center. Also, while he's still not good at face-offs, since Julien got here only Mitchell has been better on the dot. So if he's not a center, than neither is Plekanec or Danault.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

As currently constituted, the AVs are a disaster. Will the top pick in this draft change that ? Can Sakic sit on the status quo ? Is Duchene likely to re-up in two years? Will Duchene's value not take a hit if his play is affected by all this turmoil ?

Sakic opened it up. Don't see him sitting on a depreciating asset.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Still not a top 6 center.

Ha ha ha ha ha good one... not only is he a top 6 center, he's closing in to become a no1. I'm amazed at these tyoe of comments, downgrading our own player, yet salivating at the likes of Draisatl who isn't even playing center and leaching off McDavid.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I posted this in another thread awhile ago....theres been a lot of talk about what we can afford to do when price and max are up. It's really not that hindering at all...

So by my count thats 67.8 million salary cap goes up 2-3 million a year, probably be at the very least 79 which would give us just over 11 million to sign a 4th line and other UFA's

I think those numbers are reasonable though Pateryn who I assume is who you put is gone. Depending on how Benn does, we may or may not resign him but I don't expect him to make 3.5x4 when his deal is up.

Unless Danault continues his breakout, I can't see him being paid $4m. I'm thinking maybe $3.25m or around that. Thing is though, when Max's contract is up, so is Sergachev I believe. Who knows how he'll perform, but we'll likely get decent raise unless we bridge him.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Ha ha ha ha ha good one... not only is he a top 6 center, he's closing in to become a no1. I'm amazed at these tyoe of comments, downgrading our own player, yet salivating at the likes of Draisatl who isn't even playing center and leaching off McDavid.

Well I agree that Galchenyuk is easily a top 6 centre. Anything otherwise is just ridiculous.

But Draisaitl is also a top 6 centre. Proved it last year where he played centre, on the third line while doing better than the actual 2nd line centre.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
What if the Sharks get out of the PO in the 1st or 2nd round? Can we get one of Pavelski or Vlasic for packaged prospects, picks and vet(s) before the draft?

Depending on how some of our guys do in the PO, they might have increased value come June and I would hope MB goes back to All in mode when trades are green-flagged again. Our ultimate window in terms of being a relevant team could be the combination of Price's age/decline and Sergachev's rise/salary raise, so the hail mary process starts next year IMO. Shades of that from MB at this year's TDL...

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's too late (or early) to speak of trades. There's also the complication of adding an expansion team.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Well I agree that Galchenyuk is easily a top 6 centre. Anything otherwise is just ridiculous.

But Draisaitl is also a top 6 centre. Proved it last year where he played centre, on the third line while doing better than the actual 2nd line centre.

Can I agree with both? Draisaitl is definitely getting a McDavid bump, but he's definitely a top-6 center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad