Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread :Trades That Will Happen Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I think Turris has more value than Max. He’s a centre. I’d say Bowers and Poehling are fairly close in trade value, factoring the 3rd. Hammond is a non factor since he’s a UFA and was sent to the AHL. It’s a fairly similar trade.

You’re trading 1.5 years of Max for 7.5 years of Draisatl and paying a potential 2C and a 1st for that difference. I think that difference is worth more in my estimation since Draisatl is a more valuable player than Max, especially for a team with no good centres and plethora of good wingers (I’m including JD in that).

If you think Turris has more value than Max,just based on position-and that Bowers is as good as Poehling -we will have to agree to disagree because there is no numbers, stats, contract status arguments that can be made to prove your point.

Again, i'm fine with giving up Patches but that 1st needs to be protected and that prospect would need to be one not named Poehling.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
The difference in value of Pacioretty & Draisaitl isn't THAT much.

LOL....are you kidding?

even if they were equal in their play and points(which they are not) Drai is worth a lot more simply because of the position he plays.....he is also younger, those two thing boost his value WAY over Casper....centers have more trade value to begin with then wingers do,

caspers trade value has been declining for the past two years, its nowhere near where it was, especially now, look at the season he is having.....GMs dont trade for what players have done in the past, today is what counts

Reactions: muzion and Emily

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Well I think I've explained MY TAKE on that Duchene trade for the Sens...it was a trade motivated by money, they paid a premium to have a similar asset (Duchene vs Turris) that was signed for 2 more years, instead of having to commit 6 more years to Turris.

Using that deal as a template for this one is not good...it was a terrible, terrible trade.

If anything, it should make us realize that it's not worth paying premiums for small net gains.

You're moving out a 35 goal 65pt player for a 65-70pt player...yes, I get that he's what? 8yrs younger. But he's also got twice the cap hit and on top of that you give up your top prospect + an unprotected 1st?

Again...that's fine, but it should cost the Oilers a bit more.

Toss in a prospect or draft pick.

I just want to make it clear....Draisaitl > Pacioretty. I'm fully on board with that.

But also important to note that there was a 10pt difference between Pacioretty (67pts) and Draisaitl (77pts) last year....and Pacioretty didn't get to ride shotgun with the league MVP last year.

This year, despite the Habs torrid start and Pacioretty's torrid start, there's a 3pt difference between Pacioretty (16pts) & Draisaitl (19pts).

Fair point.
I guess we will have to wait and see what direction Bergevin takes right after the holidays ( I don't think a deal is done before that )

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Unless they trade that 1st round pick acquired in this hypothetical trade and Ryan Poehling decides to stop playing hockey...

That's not possible.

Agreed...it's not, every individual piece of what the Habs would give up in this hypothetical trade, is not a lot to give up.

Collectively, it is though...they each represent our best assets. To give all 3 up for ONE player, is excessive IMO.

Especially when you're not going to get a huge statistical bump (goals & assists) from trading Pacioretty to getting Draisaitl.

What do you think? Draisaitl is going to turn into a 90+ point player for the Habs?

You can pretty much shave off 10pts from his best total from last year, that puts him right in Pacioretty territory.

Fair point...but Poehling is not McCarron.

Agreed...but in this deal, I don't think we're getting enough. I don't have a problem with what we're giving.

I just think Pacioretty's value is being severely underestimated right now because he's struggling...come back in 2 weeks when he's scored 8 goals in the last 6 games and I think opinions change drastically.

It's an assumption to think Pacioretty won't be here in 2yrs...I didn't think Plekanec would still be here, yet here he still is and it's increasingly more likely he'll be here next year.

As for McCarron...I have no idea what you're bringing him up.

Again...I don't have a problem giving up Pacioretty + Poehling + 1st round pick.

What I have a problem with is 'only' getting Draisaitl in return...there has to be something else coming back from Edmonton.

For Max- I would not want to sign him after his contract is up. So getting something in return for him before he walks is key.

I think a 60-70 point C is more valuable than Max on the wing. I am not a Max hater and don't want to throw him away but if he can land a TRUE young C, not a prospect but a guy playing in the NHL who has put up points I would move him.

I know you supported the Drouin for Serge trade, and Drai is better than Drouin and Serge is better as a prospect than Poehling.

Its a steep price to pay but it would be worth it. Try and get EDM to add a pick or something but that's minor details. Drai would fit on this team down the middle and add offensive punch. Max disappears in the playoffs and is having a horrible season so far.

I mention Mac because they are similar in where they were drafted. Poehling could and might be better than Mac, but we held onto Mac to long and should of traded him for something and now he is a 4th liner. Maybe the same could happen to Poehling.

Only getting Drai isn't the issue, habs end up with the best player in the deal. Its like only getting Weber or only getting Drouin. In the end getting an extra pick or prospect doesn't matter if its what is preventing from getting Drai.

Simply put Drai will score 60 points this year, 60 point next year, 60 point the year after at least. That's 180 points over the next 3 seasons.

Poehling will score 0 this year, 0 next year, and if lucky maybe 40 the year after. The guy we draft this year probably 0 for the next 3 seasons.

Losing Max's 30 Goals would hurt, but Drai would make up for it being a c.

But I am probably biased though because I would trade Poehling and our 1st for Giroux if the flyers retained 1 Mill of salary.

Reactions: Vern and junyab

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
The other thing to consider with regards to trading Patches is this, Bergevin will NOT trade Patches for futures (picks or prospects). The second he does this he'll get fired (because this would indicate to ownership we're abandoning competing and resorting to rebuilding). Bergevin will ONLY trade Patches for something he considers an improvement to the club in the present.

Reactions: scrubadam

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The whole thing about the idea of Pacioretty + Poehling + 1st round pick for Draisaitl is....is it the best return Habs could get for that package.

Is Pacioretty + 1st round pick could be enough to get O'reilly out of Buffalo?
Or is that entire package would be enough for Tavares if the situation change in NYI?

That pick need to get protected, that's a given.
Pacioretty need to be traded ASAP
Poehling might be good and make an impact in 2 or 3 years at best. Many prospect were overhyped and ended up being 4th liner and not even NHL materials so it's not like he's a sure shot.

Reactions: scrubadam

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
LOL....are you kidding?

No, I'm not kidding.

even if they were equal in their play and points(which they are not) Drai is worth a lot more simply because of the position he plays.....he is also younger, those two thing boost his value WAY over Casper....centers have more trade value to begin with then wingers do,

But how much does that translate onto the ice for the Habs in terms of goals and assists?

caspers trade value has been declining for the past two years, its nowhere near where it was, especially now, look at the season he is having.....GMs dont trade for what players have done in the past, today is what counts

Tell that one to Sens fans.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Fair point.
I guess we will have to wait and see what direction Bergevin takes right after the holidays ( I don't think a deal is done before that )
I think all of this Draisaitl talk is fantasy...I think Chiarelli has ZERO interest in moving him and even if he did, Pacioretty's not the type of assets he'd be looking at acquiring in exchange.

Personally...I think the Habs could move Pacioretty for a lot, they could get SEVERAL assets in return, so I'd focus on that rather than look at one element which is likely unattainable.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
For Max- I would not want to sign him after his contract is up. So getting something in return for him before he walks is key.

I think a 60-70 point C is more valuable than Max on the wing. I am not a Max hater and don't want to throw him away but if he can land a TRUE young C, not a prospect but a guy playing in the NHL who has put up points I would move him.

I know you supported the Drouin for Serge trade, and Drai is better than Drouin and Serge is better as a prospect than Poehling.

Its a steep price to pay but it would be worth it. Try and get EDM to add a pick or something but that's minor details. Drai would fit on this team down the middle and add offensive punch. Max disappears in the playoffs and is having a horrible season so far.

I mention Mac because they are similar in where they were drafted. Poehling could and might be better than Mac, but we held onto Mac to long and should of traded him for something and now he is a 4th liner. Maybe the same could happen to Poehling.

Only getting Drai isn't the issue, habs end up with the best player in the deal. Its like only getting Weber or only getting Drouin. In the end getting an extra pick or prospect doesn't matter if its what is preventing from getting Drai.

Simply put Drai will score 60 points this year, 60 point next year, 60 point the year after at least. That's 180 points over the next 3 seasons.

Poehling will score 0 this year, 0 next year, and if lucky maybe 40 the year after. The guy we draft this year probably 0 for the next 3 seasons.

Losing Max's 30 Goals would hurt, but Drai would make up for it being a c.

But I am probably biased though because I would trade Poehling and our 1st for Giroux if the flyers retained 1 Mill of salary.

Well that's kind of what I'm saying...I don't necessarily have a problem with trading Pacioretty + Poehling + 1st for Draisaitl.

I just think we should be getting another element in return because despite me thinking Draisaitl is more valuable...I don't think the on-ice results will be that much difference.

I don't believe in paying premiums for stylistic upgrades.

We're already thin in assets...thinning it out even more for a small or even nil net gain is not smart business IMO.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well that's kind of what I'm saying...I don't necessarily have a problem with trading Pacioretty + Poehling + 1st for Draisaitl.

I just think we should be getting another element in return because despite me thinking Draisaitl is more valuable...I don't think the on-ice results will be that much difference.

I don't believe in paying premiums for stylistic upgrades.

We're already thin in assets...thinning it out even more for a small or even nil net gain is not smart business IMO.

Ya but at some point MB has to bite the bullet and go for it. This team needs an upgrade at C. IMO its what is separating this team from moving forward into the upper echelon of the league.

MB has sat and watched various C's get moved. Mid tier guys to higher level guys because he doesn't want to pay the price or didn't have the pieces. 6 years into his tenure its time to stop thinking that. Price/Weber are in their 30's. If you aren't going for it now then when?

Polie/Dorion both traded a lot of assets for NHL talent at some point you have to bite the bullet. I won't deny its pricey but IMO it would be worth it.

As far as Max goes I know we are losing out on a great scorer and I don't think he is done or garbage like a lot of people do. But I would not bring him back after next year so he is going to be traded at some point. I would rather use him for a young C that plays in the NHL then a bunch of picks or prospects that will take 2/3 years to ever get more than 10 points in the NHL.

But like you said I think its fantasy I don't see this trade happening. PC could probably get better than that offer. Its like other teams thinking they could get Price because Montreal started out poor. PC just inked the kid to a big deal even with EDM's struggles he is part of the solution down there. They will move RNH/Lucic or other guys before Drai IMO.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ya but at some point MB has to bite the bullet and go for it. This team needs an upgrade at C. IMO its what is separating this team from moving forward into the upper echelon of the league.

MB has sat and watched various C's get moved. Mid tier guys to higher level guys because he doesn't want to pay the price or didn't have the pieces. 6 years into his tenure its time to stop thinking that. Price/Weber are in their 30's. If you aren't going for it now then when?

Polie/Dorion both traded a lot of assets for NHL talent at some point you have to bite the bullet. I won't deny its pricey but IMO it would be worth it.

As far as Max goes I know we are losing out on a great scorer and I don't think he is done or garbage like a lot of people do. But I would not bring him back after next year so he is going to be traded at some point. I would rather use him for a young C that plays in the NHL then a bunch of picks or prospects that will take 2/3 years to ever get more than 10 points in the NHL.

But like you said I think its fantasy I don't see this trade happening. PC could probably get better than that offer. Its like other teams thinking they could get Price because Montreal started out poor. PC just inked the kid to a big deal even with EDM's struggles he is part of the solution down there. They will move RNH/Lucic or other guys before Drai IMO.

A much more attainable target IMO.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The other thing to consider with regards to trading Patches is this, Bergevin will NOT trade Patches for futures (picks or prospects). The second he does this he'll get fired (because this would indicate to ownership we're abandoning competing and resorting to rebuilding). Bergevin will ONLY trade Patches for something he considers an improvement to the club in the present.

Agreed and it worries me. Time will tell what we do from here till trade deadline. Most people agree Patch should be traded and if we trade him, I personally don't see us getting anything other than a NHL ready prospect (C, LD), 2018 1st, and maybe another piece. I think that would be a smart move at this stage and we can give the C to Weber.

If Bergevin actually trades Patch for futures, that takes a lot of guts!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
A much more attainable target IMO.

But I wouldn't move Max for RNH.

I would go Poehling+1st for RNH, but not Max.

JD-RNH-AG
Max-Danault-Shaw

wouldn't be too bad of a top 6.

alternatively

JD-Giroux-AG
Max-Danault-Shaw

Another one I would do as long as 1 Mill retained.

Poehling+1st or any prospect in Laval is my offer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think all of this Draisaitl talk is fantasy...I think Chiarelli has ZERO interest in moving him and even if he did, Pacioretty's not the type of assets he'd be looking at acquiring in exchange.

Personally...I think the Habs could move Pacioretty for a lot, they could get SEVERAL assets in return, so I'd focus on that rather than look at one element which is likely unattainable.

Agreed. Just imagine what McDavid thinks when Drai is traded for Patch and a package. The only two that McDavid would be happy with a return for trading Drai is Price or Weber and it's not happening.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Edmonton won't trade Draisaitl, if they're trading anyone it's going to be Nugent-Hopkins or attempting to unload Lucic to get rid of some salary. More likely Nugent-Hopkins IMO.

I'd target Nugent-Hopkins though, why not? He's a true center, and he's likely available if Pacioretty is going the other way. They'd have McDavid and Draisatl as centers, with Lucic and Pacioretty on the left sides.

To Edmonton: Max Pacioretty, Charlie Lindgren.

To Montreal: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 2018 1st, Caleb Jones.

Habs get their first line center, a defensive prospect and a first in a deep draft. Oilers get the best trigger man available for McDavid and some help in the net that they've been looking for. Both teams benefit.

Also I'd try to trade for Anthony Mantha from Detroit. Seems to be in some hot water with his coach, and could benefit from a change in scenery. I'd offer up Alex Galchenyuk as the basis, and work around whatever small give and take would be necessary to complete the deal.

I'd also try to deal Alzner (highly doubt it's possible), Benn, and try to bring in some UFA talent to help up front.

2018 Roster would look something like this: (before any trades or UFA signings)

Hudon - Nugent-Hopkins - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Mantha
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Deslauriers - De La Rose - Carr

Jerabek - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Alzner - Benn

Price
Montoya

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The whole thing about the idea of Pacioretty + Poehling + 1st round pick for Draisaitl is....is it the best return Habs could get for that package.

Is Pacioretty + 1st round pick could be enough to get O'reilly out of Buffalo?
Or is that entire package would be enough for Tavares if the situation change in NYI?

That pick need to get protected, that's a given.
Pacioretty need to be traded ASAP
Poehling might be good and make an impact in 2 or 3 years at best. Many prospect were overhyped and ended up being 4th liner and not even NHL materials so it's not like he's a sure shot.

Pacio + Poehling + 1st pick is god garbage for Montreal

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Edmonton won't trade Draisaitl, if they're trading anyone it's going to be Nugent-Hopkins or attempting to unload Lucic to get rid of some salary. More likely Nugent-Hopkins IMO.

I'd target Nugent-Hopkins though, why not? He's a true center, and he's likely available if Pacioretty is going the other way. They'd have McDavid and Draisatl as centers, with Lucic and Pacioretty on the left sides.

Habs get their first line center, a defensive prospect and a first in a deep draft. Oilers get the best trigger man available for McDavid and some help in the net that they've been looking for. Both teams benefit.

Also I'd try to trade for Anthony Mantha from Detroit. Seems to be in some hot water with his coach, and could benefit from a change in scenery. I'd offer up Alex Galchenyuk as the basis, and work around whatever small give and take would be necessary to complete the deal.

I'd also try to deal Alzner (highly doubt it's possible), Benn, and try to bring in some UFA talent to help up front.

2018 Roster would look something like this: (before any trades or UFA signings)

Hudon - Nugent-Hopkins - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Mantha
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Deslauriers - De La Rose - Carr

Jerabek - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Alzner - Benn

Price
Montoya

that pacio trades is actually decent from both club

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
One of the teams deep in D, the Ducks, made their move to add offense.

The Canes are ridiculously deep to such a degree they have Hanifin on the 2nd pairing. They need offense. To me this is an incredible opportunity to get a top young D man.

I doubt Patches fills the bill for them.

I think Chucky, who I am a very strong supporter of would draw their interest. I see Chucky as a centre and that is where I think he will be his most productive, but we all know that is never going to happen in Montreal, so we might as well use him for a corner stone piece.

I don't think Chucky is enough, but damn well add.

Personally I think Weber should be traded and think he could get us the centre we need. But even if we don't make that trade right now, with Hanifin and Weber we would have a tremendous top pairing. Hopefully we would move Weber at some point, and at that time Hanifin is our no.1. A young D man.

There are several teams looking for top D help like the Leafs and Oil, so we need to try to make the trade and try to do it now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I like your suggestion in terms of structuring deals.

Based on what I've read about RNH, most say that he's a 2nd line C at best. We'd be giving up a first line player in Pacioretty, so the pieces coming back with RNH, would have to be significant enough. I like the first round pick from EDM. I just don't know enough about Caleb Jones. Forecaster says:

Assets:The little brother of Seth Jones isn't as big, mobile or talented but does have more physicality in his game than his older sibling. Is aggressive in nature and displays all-round upside.
Flaws:Is still somewhat raw and unrefined, so he needs to become better at the decision-making process (with and without the puck). Needs to fill out his average frame.
Career Potential:Raw, aggressive all-round defenseman with upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He doesn't seem to do anything particularly well, looks like a project. Someone like this could easily eat up 3 to 4 years of AHL time -- and I have nothing against that, except that the Habs need a first pairing LHD now. Which is why trying to fit in a D as part of the package in return for Pacioretty, is a weak link when dealing with an organization that doesn't have an outstanding record for drafting and developing them.

Like the Mantha proposition as well -- question would be how much would the Habs have to add as I believe the Wings may not make him available, despite the shots that his soon-to-be-fired coach has been taking at him in the media.

Alzner is a sunk cost, I think you ride him for another year or two and then buy him out -- or hope the new CBA contains new compliance buyouts. Benn does surprisingly well in stretches, I don't think holding on to him hurts that much, at least the guy brings a physical dimension that is lacking on the team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Man Anthony Mantha would perfect on the Habs...

Wonder if he's really available?

I doubt Blashill is there long

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Man Anthony Mantha would perfect on the Habs...

Wonder if he's really available?

I doubt Blashill is there long
Where did you hear or read Mantha was available...i have a hard time believing that one

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Alzner for Lucic

Alzner is from our west. Lucic can finally play with his buddy’s Gally.

Bad contract for bad contract.

Offensive need for defensive need.

It’s the perfect hockey trade. Maybe add an offset for salary and term in the form of a pick, prospect or retain some. But overall, it’s doable imo.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Alzner for Lucic

Alzner is from our west. Lucic can finally play with his buddy’s Gally.

Bad contract for bad contract.

Offensive need for defensive need.

It’s the perfect hockey trade.

I like it as a foundation of a deal. However, Lucic's contract has 6 more years to go vs. Alzner with 4 more years. Edmonton should add something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->