Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread :Trades That Will Happen Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
No, just depends what those futures are.

I don't see why the Habs would have to add Poehling on top of Pacioretty and also throw in a 1st round pick.

The difference in value of Pacioretty & Draisaitl isn't THAT much.

Value isn't that much but at the same time Patches is not signed long term like Draisaitl. That IMO is one of the reasons the Oilers would want more in return.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You take that deal and RUN. You get a beast 21 year old centre for a guy that is going to want that type of money as a winger in 1.5 years, plus two question marks? People saying no are insane. We’ve been looking for this exact player since the 90s.

I think Poehling will be awesome too, but Draisatl is the real deal. Drouin can go back to LW and the team doesn’t miss Max one second.

It seems like an overpayment from my point of view...

Take out Poehling...add Mete...add Shcherbak if you want.

But the first offer seems too rich for me.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Much better return in Draisaitl than RNH, IMHO.

For sure, but not the same cost at all to acquire though
But it indeed makes much more sense for us. Will the Oilers want to move him or do they want to be like the Penguins and build around both CM and Drai?

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
It’s absurd that people would say no to this. Absolutely asinine. Max isn’t staying. And if he’s staying then this team will continue to toil in mediocrity by paying an emotionless floater $7m+ a year starting at the age of 31.

And people are going on about Leon’s dependency on McDavid. I guess they didn’t watch the playoffs last year when Leon centred his own line and outplayed his captain.

The problem isn't giving up Patches. It's Poehling and the 1st, thats the issue. Patches is the easiest pill to swallow for Drai. Poehling is alot closer than 3-5 years. Have you even watched him play?

Id much rather swing for the fences on a B.Schenn type deal than give away that package for Draisitil.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Value isn't that much but at the same time Patches is not signed long term like Draisaitl. That IMO is one of the reasons the Oilers would want more in return.
That's fair...but Pacioretty is signed at a very good cap hit for the rest of this year and next.

And even his next deal, isn't likely to be as much as Draisaitl is making now.

Again, I know Pacioretty isn't very popular here, but I think we're severely underestimating the value that he possesses.

Pacioretty + Poehling + 1st (unprotected)

for

Draisaitl + ????

There has to be something else from the Oilers point of view, either a draft pick or prospect.

To me, Draisaitl vs Pacioretty pretty much cancels itself out...as much as I like Draisaitl and think he'd be the answer to the question we've been asking since the days of Bobby Smith, on ice results in terms of goals & points won't be that much different than what Pacioretty has given us.

To throw in Poehling + 1st seems excessive to me...

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
That's fair...but Pacioretty is signed at a very good cap hit for the rest of this year and next.

Again, I know Pacioretty isn't very popular here, but I think we're severely underestimating the value that he possesses.

for

Draisaitl + ????

There has to be something else from the Oilers point of view, either a draft pick or prospect.

I would definitely not say no if that's the case!!

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
If Tavares doesn't want to sign with the Islanders, I can see the Rangers ending up with Tavares and Pacioretty. They seem to like going all in and if we can get a decent prospect like Andersson, I'd be for it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The problem isn't giving up Patches. It's Poehling and the 1st, thats the issue. Patches is the easiest pill to swallow for Drai. Poehling is alot closer than 3-5 years. Have you even watched him play?

Id much rather swing for the fences on a B.Schenn type deal than give away that package for Draisitil.

Yes Poehling is good, in the NCAA. Draisatl is good, in the NHL.

You have to give to get. This would be less than what Ottawa gave for an inferior centre who is older and has less years of control.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

You have to give to get. This would be less than what Ottawa gave for an inferior centre who is older and has less years of control.
But so is Pacioretty and he has been for MUCH longer than Draisaitl has.

Again, I'm not suggesting that Pacioretty > Draisaitl...

But Drasaitl isn't >>>>> Pacioretty either.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
No, just depends what those futures are.

I don't see why the Habs would have to add Poehling on top of Pacioretty and also throw in a 1st round pick.

The difference in value of Pacioretty & Draisaitl isn't THAT much.

disagree.

Drai is a young C locked down for many years.

Max has 1.5 years left on his contract. EDM could be left with nothing after next season.

a 1st round pick that will be anywhere from 16-30( at worst 10th) is not a huge piece to give up.

Poehling is a good prospect, but another late round pick. Habs sat on Mac till he has no value. If I could go back in time and trade Mac and a 1st for ROR/Turris/MD/JT or any other center I do it in a heart beat.

You have to give to get. Drai is a good young C with his best years ahead of him. He has a hefty contract but at least it covers his prime age, not mostly his 30's.

Max won't be here in 2 years. Poehling will have almost no impact on this team for at least another 2 years, probably 3 or 4 (Look at Mac). Our 1st this year which I believe won't be lower than 16th won't have an impact for 3 or 4 years either.

So those extras won't be contributing until Price is 34 and Weber is 36. MEanwhile the team can add a dynamic 60-70 point C for Price 30-34 and Weber 32-36.

The choice is a no brainer to me.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Poehling’s ceiling isn’t even the player Draisatl is today, let alone the player he will become. Max is a non factor to me if his top LW spot goes to JD.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Would you trade Danault for Drai?

If yes then I don't see why Poehling is the sticking point. Even if he surpasses all expectations he will most likely be a 50-60 point C in the mold of Pleks when he turns 23/24/25 years old.

In exchange for him habs will be getting a guy who will put up 60+ points probably for the next 5 years at least and hopefully more. 70+ points last year and on pace the same this year.

Poehling will not give the habs 40 points next year, probably not even the year after. If anything in 3 years from now Poehling MIGHT make the team and be good enough to anchor the 2nd line. That's 3 years of missing out on a 60-70 point C.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
disagree.

Drai is a young C locked down for many years.

Max has 1.5 years left on his contract. EDM could be left with nothing after next season.

Unless they trade that 1st round pick acquired in this hypothetical trade and Ryan Poehling decides to stop playing hockey...

That's not possible.

a 1st round pick that will be anywhere from 16-30( at worst 10th) is not a huge piece to give up.
Agreed...it's not, every individual piece of what the Habs would give up in this hypothetical trade, is not a lot to give up.

Collectively, it is though...they each represent our best assets. To give all 3 up for ONE player, is excessive IMO.

Especially when you're not going to get a huge statistical bump (goals & assists) from trading Pacioretty to getting Draisaitl.

What do you think? Draisaitl is going to turn into a 90+ point player for the Habs?

You can pretty much shave off 10pts from his best total from last year, that puts him right in Pacioretty territory.

Poehling is a good prospect, but another late round pick. Habs sat on Mac till he has no value. If I could go back in time and trade Mac and a 1st for ROR/Turris/MD/JT or any other center I do it in a heart beat.

Fair point...but Poehling is not McCarron.

You have to give to get. Drai is a good young C with his best years ahead of him. He has a hefty contract but at least it covers his prime age, not mostly his 30's.

Agreed...but in this deal, I don't think we're getting enough. I don't have a problem with what we're giving.

I just think Pacioretty's value is being severely underestimated right now because he's struggling...come back in 2 weeks when he's scored 8 goals in the last 6 games and I think opinions change drastically.

Max won't be here in 2 years. Poehling will have almost no impact on this team for at least another 2 years, probably 3 or 4 (Look at Mac). Our 1st this year which I believe won't be lower than 16th won't have an impact for 3 or 4 years either.
It's an assumption to think Pacioretty won't be here in 2yrs...I didn't think Plekanec would still be here, yet here he still is and it's increasingly more likely he'll be here next year.

As for McCarron...I have no idea what you're bringing him up.

So those extras won't be contributing until Price is 34 and Weber is 36. MEanwhile the team can add a dynamic 60-70 point C for Price 30-34 and Weber 32-36.

The choice is a no brainer to me.

Again...I don't have a problem giving up Pacioretty + Poehling + 1st round pick.

What I have a problem with is 'only' getting Draisaitl in return...there has to be something else coming back from Edmonton.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Poehling’s ceiling isn’t even the player Draisatl is today, let alone the player he will become. Max is a non factor to me if his top LW spot goes to JD.
That's fine...

Again, I don't think there's that much difference in Pacioretty & Draisaitl (I'm NOT saying I think Pacioretty is better).

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Would you trade Danault for Drai?

If yes then I don't see why Poehling is the sticking point. Even if he surpasses all expectations he will most likely be a 50-60 point C in the mold of Pleks when he turns 23/24/25 years old.

In exchange for him habs will be getting a guy who will put up 60+ points probably for the next 5 years at least and hopefully more. 70+ points last year and on pace the same this year.

Poehling will not give the habs 40 points next year, probably not even the year after. If anything in 3 years from now Poehling MIGHT make the team and be good enough to anchor the 2nd line. That's 3 years of missing out on a 60-70 point C.
I've explained to you...Poehling is not the sticking point.

It's I don't think there's enough elements coming back from the Oilers.

I think there's a lot of emphasis on Draisaitl's potential...but not enough on Pacioretty's proven goal scoring ability (without ever playing with a center who comes close to be called a #1C).

Again...we're underestimating Pacioretty's value IMO.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007

Yes but Patches is good in the NHL too. And didnt have McDavid on his line either. You HAVE to factor that in too.

Patches > Turris. Hammond is a cap dump. OTTs 1st 2018 , its top 10 protected (the one in the purposed trade is not). And Poehling is better than Bowers. So please tell me how we are giving up LESS.

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

for

Draisaitl + ????

To me, Draisaitl vs Pacioretty pretty much cancels itself out...as much as I like Draisaitl and think he'd be the answer to the question we've been asking since the days of Bobby Smith, on ice results in terms of goals & points won't be that much different than what Pacioretty has given us.

To throw in Poehling + 1st seems excessive to me...

Not way I am trading Poehling at this point. I would love to acquire Drai but the Oilers are not doing this. He is too important to McDavid and they do not want to upset him for trading Drai for Patch, +.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Pacioretty has no long-term value. He might even have negative long-term value as you will have to give him a big UFA contract.

I would try my best to keep Poehling. I have no qualms with including Patches and a 1st. I would even do Patches, 1st, Lindgren, Scherbak, McCarron, Juulsen.

Take them all if you want.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yes but Patches is good in the NHL too. And didnt have McDavid on his line either. You HAVE to factor that in too.

Patches > Turris. Hammond is a cap dump. OTTs 1st 2018 , its top 10 protected (the one in the purposed trade is not). And Poehling is better than Bowers. So please tell me how we are giving up LESS.

I think Turris has more value than Max. He’s a centre. I’d say Bowers and Poehling are fairly close in trade value, factoring the 3rd. Hammond is a non factor since he’s a UFA and was sent to the AHL. It’s a fairly similar trade.

You’re trading 1.5 years of Max for 7.5 years of Draisatl and paying a potential 2C and a 1st for that difference. I think that difference is worth more in my estimation since Draisatl is a more valuable player than Max, especially for a team with no good centres and plethora of good wingers (I’m including JD in that).

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But for a year and a 1/2 and than Duchene can just like that jet.
Well I think I've explained MY TAKE on that Duchene trade for the Sens...it was a trade motivated by money, they paid a premium to have a similar asset (Duchene vs Turris) that was signed for 2 more years, instead of having to commit 6 more years to Turris.

Using that deal as a template for this one is not good...it was a terrible, terrible trade.

If anything, it should make us realize that it's not worth paying premiums for small net gains.

You're moving out a 35 goal 65pt player for a 65-70pt player...yes, I get that he's what? 8yrs younger. But he's also got twice the cap hit and on top of that you give up your top prospect + an unprotected 1st?

Again...that's fine, but it should cost the Oilers a bit more.

Toss in a prospect or draft pick.

I just want to make it clear....Draisaitl > Pacioretty. I'm fully on board with that.

But also important to note that there was a 10pt difference between Pacioretty (67pts) and Draisaitl (77pts) last year....and Pacioretty didn't get to ride shotgun with the league MVP last year.

This year, despite the Habs torrid start and Pacioretty's torrid start, there's a 3pt difference between Pacioretty (16pts) & Draisaitl (19pts).

Last edited:
Reactions: Price4Prez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad