Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We can afford all of the above. Desharnais' salary will afford Galchenyuk's raise. Radulov isn't going to make significantly more than he is now, just getting term. Patches will get what, 2.5 to 3 million more per season? We have lots of cap available in the coming seasons.

Yes but we have to replace them as they drop off or increase salary.

Markov, Rads, Patches, Price, Chucky will be resigned and get raises or stay the same.

Losing DD doesn't offset anything. Even if you take off Plex after next year, you'll still have to bring in new players to take up vacant roster spots and pay them not to mention the RFA's like Danault and Lehkonen in the not to distant future.

Not saying it's not possible, just not possible for Druin, a winger who's not high on the "character" radar or two way forward. If it was for a 2nd line centre etc than I can see that move. Druin just doesn't check any of the boxes, especially not at that price.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
You have to think Drouin is going to be looking for a Barkov/McKinnon/Forsberg contract in the 6x6 range but I think Steve Y continues playing hardball and tries to force a bridge contract on him. Will Drouin really get more than Kucherov from Yzerman? I don't see it. Drouin has a history of doing what he wants so seeing him sign an offer sheet wouldn't shock me.

You have to overpay and force Tampa into a hard position... Drouin is worth way more than a late 1st, 2nd and 3rd so offersheeting him is a no brainer to me. But it's finding the lowest number that will get Drouin to leave Tampa while handcuffing Yzerman if he accepts and not breaking our own cap.

The hardest part financiallly is that Offersheets greater than 5 years take the total value of the contract divided by 5 to determine the draft pick compensation. So 6.5 over 7 will equate to 9.1 Million for compensation. Or 2 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd. So anything more than 6.5 over 7 years will quickly get us into 4 first round pick territory.

Is Drouin worth 7.5? No, but you will over to overpay to win an offer sheet. You have so much going against you from the start. If I was MB, and Drouin is still unsigned after this years draft I would start offering 5.5 to 6 million dollar deals. Maybe over 4 or 5 years. See if Drouin bites. It would probably mess with Kucherov a bit too if Yzerman matches an offer sheet over a million more per year than he's getting.

I think Galchenyuk gets 6x6 from us. I'd offer Drouin the same up to at least 6.5 million. Not because Drouin is worth more than Galchenyuk, but because it's what it would take.

Drouin can't have more money then Kucherov IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin can't have more money then Kucherov IMO.

All depends on weather Drouin signs a bridge deal like Kucherov or not. Tampa wants (and needs) Drouin to sign the bridge deal for under $4M for two reasons.

1) They need Drouin to further prove himself before giving him a long term deal.

2) They desperately need cap space to sign other key players (only 12.5M in cap space and have to sign 11 players to reach the 25 man roster which includes Drouin, Johnson, and Palat. It's payday time for Johnson and Palat (Tampa would be buying UFA years in any long term deals)!

This is why if I were the Habs, I'd see if Drouin was interested in signing a long term deal with the Habs on an offer sheet. Lets say somewhere between $6-$7M. Tampa probably still matches but it really forces their hand and they will lose various key pieces of their core if they do! If they don't, then the Habs acquire a sick talent on LW for many years to come!

Can the Habs afford it?
I say they can but Pleky's contract of one year left at $6M has to be off loaded. If Plekanec and his salary is gone, All other key players are able to resign (including Drouin, Galchenyuk, Radulov, Beaulieu, and Markov). The year Patch has to be resigned (2019/2020) is where it gets tricky as some of the younger RFA's (Danault, Lehkonen, Sergachev, Scherbak, McCarron, Juulsen) have to also be resigned in a few seasons as well! Thats 2 or 3 seasons from now and you have to expect salary cap increases by then equaling to $5M+ ish.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree, but Im not sure Drouin will. Especially if he wants a 6y deal. He's probably one of the more likely RFA's out there willing to sign an offer sheet.

I agree. Tampa has treated him well this year but up to last year, that was not the case. All depends if any team is willing to sign the offer sheet with Drouin. Both Drouin and the team (other than Tampa) have to be interested. The biggest issue with offer sheets is they are rare today because of the potential "back lash" down the road. I can't recall how long ago the last offer sheet was signed?

As for Drouin next contract (if no team signs offer sheet), Tampa pushes for the bridge contract. If Drouin gets the long term contract, Tampa would be buying UFA years so don't be surprised that his AAV cap hit is then higher than Kucherov as he signed a bridge deal. Got to compare apples to apples.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
If you offer sheet Drouin you could give him $6.25 million or so and if you make it for 6 years the average works out to $7.5 million or so in terms of player compensation which is what I'd be okay with giving Drouin. You can look up RFA offer sheets to understand how this works.

I'd be willing to give Scherbak, 2017 1st and a 2017 2nd for Drouin. You're allowed to negotiate a deal instead of pushing through an offer sheet, which is the preferred way of operating.

Did not know that part!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you offer sheet Drouin you could give him $6.25 million or so and if you make it for 6 years the average works out to $7.5 million or so in terms of player compensation which is what I'd be okay with giving Drouin. You can look up RFA offer sheets to understand how this works.

I'd be willing to give Scherbak, 2017 1st and a 2017 2nd for Drouin. You're allowed to negotiate a deal instead of pushing through an offer sheet, which is the preferred way of operating.

2016 Calculated Offer Sheet Amount and Draft Pick Compensation

- $3,755,233 to $5,632,847: First Round & Third Round

- $5,632,847 to $7,510,464: First Round, Second Round, and Third Round

- $7,510,464 to $9,388,080: Two First Rounds, Second Round, and Third Round

- Over $9,388,080: Four First Rounds

If your offer above, your really giving 2- 1st round picks and 1- 2nd. Why would you overpay to a division rival? Especially when Drouin may be interested in playing with the Habs. Tampa really then loses all control (if they can't match the offer sheet). At that point the Habs have leverage and don't really have to overpay too much if TB is willing to accept a trade as appose to the minimum in offer sheet rules.

Last edited:

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
And who do we get rid of to pay for him? Chucky, Patches, Radulov??

Don't say Plex because most of his money is earmarked for Chucky and he's still under contract for next year.

Pierre Gauthier once said something to the effect that you sign the players you want/need and move out the pieces you need to make it work. I've seen enough teams wiggle out of tough cap spots to know it can be done, especially since we're in pretty good shape cap-wise.

We have enough room to sign a Drouin or a Panarin and I think we need a bit of help in the high end skill area. I think there's a couple players that MB wants to move out, plus if Markov stays he's going to have to take a pay cut, imo.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

If your offer above, your really giving 2- 1st round picks and 1- 2nd. Why would you overpay to a division rival? Especially when Drouin may be interested in playing with the Habs. Tampa really then loses all control (if they can't match the offer sheet). At that point the Habs have leverage and don't really have to overpay too much if TB is willing to accept a trade as appose to the minimum in an offer sheet rules.

That's what it will take to get Drouin, imo. Otherwise, Tampa will match and then trade Drouin in a year or so or choose to keep him. Kessel got 2 1sts and a 2nd and those picks were a lot better then what our picks will be. I'm assuming that Drouin will want something in the area of $6 million X 6 years.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I know it's Tavares, but he has one year left in his deal after this season. Nothing guarantees he's going to stick around Montreal after that. So I wouldn't give up my future (3 of my last 4 first round selections
+ another one, no less) for 1 year's worth of guaranteed service.

It would be worth it even for 1.5 year.

Habs could make one hell of a run for a cup with JT between now and the end of Price's contract.

As long as its not AG you make the deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's what it will take to get Drouin, imo. Otherwise, Tampa will match and then trade Drouin in a year or so or choose to keep him. Kessel got 2 1sts and a 2nd and those picks were a lot better then what our picks will be. I'm assuming that Drouin will want something in the area of $6 million X 6 years.

I think TB keeps Drouin in any situation. The issue with the offer sheet ($6M+ AAV) forces them to make serious other moves that probably affects two key core players.

I guess were talking about the difference between what value Drouin has on the trade market (when he has a new contract) vs what value he has as a unsigned RFA where other teams can sign offer sheets.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
You can save the Price proposals for a year or two down the road. He's not going anywhere now. Likely not then either. First place teams don't usually trade their all world, star franchise player mid season when their rocking 1st place in their conference. Just saying.

On a more likely thought, which of Anaheims 3 young LD are we most likely to go after. Fowler, Linholm or Theodore?

At this point, I'd say Lindholm. Fowler has been their best D this season and carried the D. Lindolm is off to a tough start and carries a heavier salary. Fowler seems to have come into his own this year and it'll be difficult to trade a guy who's just broken out. I doubt we get Theodore as he's too young to put on the top pairing with Weber but I'd be cool to have a top pairing with two guys name Shae.

It'll be an interesting deadline but I think priority has now firmly shifted to D with Danault playing centre so well and Bergevin's comment that he's only scratching the surface.

I'm gonna say we're going to get a top 4 PMD and one or two more depth guys before the deadline.

Fowler.

Anaheim won't move Lindholm. It's most likely that Vatanen is moved over Fowler or Lindholm, though.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Do you guys really believe that we mix well with the teams that are hot right now so that it does deserve to unload every pick and prospects we have for a shot at the Cup? This team STILL lacks a top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man. At the very least.

So what do you give to get your hands on Leddy and Duchene? This Habs team, one day, will need to rot at the bottom of the standings to either get their hands on great prospects but also to have sufficient great prospects so that you'd trade them to get your hands on top vets. Predicting that we will pass our supposed Price/Pacioretty window without winning and that descent will happen in 5 years or so. A cup in 10-12 years. So we can unload everything we have....Sergachev, Juulsen, Gallagher, 1st and 2nd rounders, Scherbak....still....not even sure of everybody's value in there...

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I think TB keeps Drouin in any situation. The issue with the offer sheet ($6M+ AAV) forces them to make serious other moves that probably affects two key core players.

I guess were talking about the difference between what value Drouin has on the trade market (when he has a new contract) vs what value he has as a unsigned RFA where other teams can sign offer sheets.

It's hard to say what Stevie Y will do. Half of me wants to agree with you (about keeping Drouin) and the other half of me thinks Tampa will just move forward without him. Either way it doesn't hurt to put a little squeeze on them, if nothing else just to see what happens.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Do you guys really believe that we mix well with the teams that are hot right now so that it does deserve to unload every pick and prospects we have for a shot at the Cup? This team STILL lacks a top 6 forward and a top 4 d-man. At the very least.

So what do you give to get your hands on Leddy and Duchene? This Habs team, one day, will need to rot at the bottom of the standings to either get their hands on great prospects but also to have sufficient great prospects so that you'd trade them to get your hands on top vets. Predicting that we will pass our supposed Price/Pacioretty window without winning and that descent will happen in 5 years or so. A cup in 10-12 years. So we can unload everything we have....Sergachev, Juulsen, Gallagher, 1st and 2nd rounders, Scherbak....still....not even sure of everybody's value in there...

If the Habs want to be competitive long term, adding a player like Drouin would be a huge step. I think the cup window idea is a farce, Bergevin is attempting to make this team a perennial contender, not a two year flash in the pan. Based on how the year has gone, I'd try hard to fill in some holes without giving up major assets. A depth defenceman and maybe another cheap pick up at forward (Streit/Jurco?) at the trade deadline.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If the Habs want to be competitive long term, adding a player like Drouin would be a huge step. I think the cup window idea is a farce, Bergevin is attempting to make this team a perennial contender, not a two year flash in the pan. Based on how the year has gone, I'd try hard to fill in some holes without giving up major assets. A depth defenceman and maybe another cheap pick up at forward (Streit/Jurco?) at the trade deadline.

I did talk about Jurco....but I'd love to hear if Athanasiou is available....

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
I agree, but Im not sure Drouin will. Especially if he wants a 6y deal. He's probably one of the more likely RFA's out there willing to sign an offer sheet.

Yes i agree Drouin is the most likely to sign as an RFA,also Draisaitl is an RFA with the Oilers but they will match it and just trade RNH.:)

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

I can see getting either a high end forward or a top tier d man but not both. That's a little too rich for MB's blood, imo. Drouin or Panarin would be my first choices and Bennett from the Flames is someone I'd take a chance on.

What would Leddy cost? Scherbak, Beaulieu and a 1st? Anything more then that and our cupboard starts looking bare pretty quick.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pierre Gauthier once said something to the effect that you sign the players you want/need and move out the pieces you need to make it work. I've seen enough teams wiggle out of tough cap spots to know it can be done, especially since we're in pretty good shape cap-wise.

We have enough room to sign a Drouin or a Panarin and I think we need a bit of help in the high end skill area. I think there's a couple players that MB wants to move out, plus if Markov stays he's going to have to take a pay cut, imo.

Well I'm not one to hang my hat on the words of "The Ghost" but I'll play along. Why do we need a small, soft LW? Druin is NOT Panarin, he's not shown to be dominate and I don't think he's worth bending over backwards to fit into a lineup that has other needs that signing him will prevent you from filling.

I said in my post that you're responding to it's not that the Habs can't do it. I'm sure they can. It's that Druin is not worth it for this team imo.

We'd be better off with RNH, Fowler, Leddy Duchene etc etc etc. So many other players that would be such a better fit to spend that money on, that I just don't get the love for Druin.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I did talk about Jurco....but I'd love to hear if Athanasiou is available....

I'm sure he's not, which is a shame. He's going to be a major building block for that franchise moving forward. If the Habs can continue to buy low on players (Byron, Danault, Petry), they'll be better for it in the long run - Jurco could be a great target for that. Galchenyuk, Drouin, Gallagher, Danault, McCarron, Beaulieu, Juulsen, Sergachev, Lindgren/McNiven/Fucale, is a very solid basis for moving into the next five years and past the Price/Weber years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I 100% agree. Too many people convinced the Habs have a 2 year window to win. It's so not the case. MB has improved this year slightly each year and is making moves when opportunity comes (Radulov for example).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes i agree Drouin is the most likely to sign as an RFA,also Draisaitl is an RFA with the Oilers but they will match it and just trade RNH.:)

Couple of Differences in circumstances between Draisaitl and Drouin. 1) Oilers have cap space to sign Drai and TB does not have cap space considering who else they have to re sign. 2) Drai probably likes playing with the Oilers and Drouin has not been treated too well by Tampa.

Its up to Drouin and his agent to seek an offer sheet deal. If he approaches the Habs, I would be listening if I was MB (and I'm sure any GM will). Especially with the Cap situation in Tampa. Where there is smoke, there is fire. MB should be worried about future "back lash" down the road if he signs an offer sheet with Drouin but at this point, the Habs have nothing to worry about for years to come. Especially Tampa where they will be up against the cap for many seasons with that young core they have

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

If your offer above, your really giving 2- 1st round picks and 1- 2nd. Why would you overpay to a division rival? Especially when Drouin may be interested in playing with the Habs. Tampa really then loses all control (if they can't match the offer sheet). At that point the Habs have leverage and don't really have to overpay too much if TB is willing to accept a trade as appose to the minimum in offer sheet rules.
Tampa can always match the offer if he signs an offer-sheet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->