Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcadiaAxeMan

Mar 10, 2002
Grande Prairie, AB
Visit site
I believe that Carey want to play in the WEST and may not re-sign (something I heard related to family, nothing confirmed of course). Would we be willing to take young talent (aka Hershel Walker Trade in the NFL) to make our chances better down the "not too far off road"?

TO the OIL:
Price

To The HABS:

Draisaitl
Talbot
Klefblom

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I believe that Carey want to play in the WEST and may not re-sign (something I heard related to family, nothing confirmed of course). Would we be willing to take young talent (aka Hershel Walker Trade in the NFL) to make our chances better down the "not too far off road"?

TO the OIL:
Price

To The HABS:

Draisaitl
Talbot
Klefblom

I love Price but if this was seriously proposed , I would do it in a heartbeat .

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

TO the OIL:
Price

To The HABS:

Draisaitl
Talbot
Klefblom
I imagine we would to add a little.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You can save the Price proposals for a year or two down the road. He's not going anywhere now. Likely not then either. First place teams don't usually trade their all world, star franchise player mid season when their rocking 1st place in their conference. Just saying.

On a more likely thought, which of Anaheims 3 young LD are we most likely to go after. Fowler, Linholm or Theodore?

At this point, I'd say Lindholm. Fowler has been their best D this season and carried the D. Lindolm is off to a tough start and carries a heavier salary. Fowler seems to have come into his own this year and it'll be difficult to trade a guy who's just broken out. I doubt we get Theodore as he's too young to put on the top pairing with Weber but I'd be cool to have a top pairing with two guys name Shae.

It'll be an interesting deadline but I think priority has now firmly shifted to D with Danault playing centre so well and Bergevin's comment that he's only scratching the surface.

I'm gonna say we're going to get a top 4 PMD and one or two more depth guys before the deadline.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You can save the Price proposals for a year or two down the road. He's not going anywhere now. Likely not then either. First place teams don't usually trade their all world, star franchise player mid season when their rocking 1st place in their conference. Just saying.

On a more likely thought, which of Anaheims 3 young LD are we most likely to go after. Fowler, Linholm or Theodore?

At this point, I'd say Lindholm. Fowler has been their best D this season and carried the D. Lindolm is off to a tough start and carries a heavier salary. Fowler seems to have come into his own this year and it'll be difficult to trade a guy who's just broken out. I doubt we get Theodore as he's too young to put on the top pairing with Weber but I'd be cool to have a top pairing with two guys name Shae.

It'll be an interesting deadline but I think priority has now firmly shifted to D with Danault playing centre so well and Bergevin's comment that he's only scratching the surface.

I'm gonna say we're going to get a top 4 PMD and one or two more depth guys before the deadline.

I would like Lindholm as well. IF we get him, then I can live with trading Sergachev for someone like Duchene as an example. Lindholm is only 23 and has offensive potential (10G and 38 pts last year) and is signed until 2021-22, so we will have a young PMD long-term, which is the role we envision Sergachev in. Although Hampus carries a bigger cap hit than Sergachev would in his ELC and then potentially a bridge deal, we'd be getting someone who is in his 4th year in the NHL already.

The price to pay will be hefty. Word has it that the Habs and Ducks have been in talks recently. And with Bergevin telling Chris Nilan last week that he'd like a young PMD, you associate that with Lindholm/Fowler. As for Theodore, I don't know much about him except he's been up and down between NHL and AHL a lot like Beaulieu was a few years ago. But is that due to his talent or their depth on the left?

I would also like to have Fowler. But Bob Murray confirmed earlier in the year that he's not on the market (we know that's not always an endorsement). He carries a smaller cap than Lindholm and is having a more productive year. But also, Lindholm with agent Claude Lemieux made negotiations difficult. He even missed part of training camp (and I could be wrong, but also the start of the year?). Usually players who do that or take teams to arbitration more often tend to be traded eventually. Which, to me,is another reason Lindholm is more available than Fowler.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

TO the OIL:
Price

To The HABS:

Draisaitl
Talbot
Klefblom

Habs would need to add, something like Sergachev.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
What would Galchenyuk ask for if Drouin were making $7.5 million....

He'd be awesobe at 7.5m... peso's.

I know thats too much money.... Hear me out though. It's only 1.5 million over what Okposo and Lucic signed for. I honestly foresee Drouin hitting 70 -75 points next year and he's really young. If we gave him a long contract into ufa years it'd make it better in the long run. It's also a way to acquire a dominating, game changing player without losing current or future assets.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I would like Lindholm as well. IF we get him, then I can live with trading Sergachev for someone like Duchene as an example. Lindholm is only 23 and has offensive potential (10G and 38 pts last year) and is signed until 2021-22, so we will have a young PMD long-term, which is the role we envision Sergachev in. Although Hampus carries a bigger cap hit than Sergachev would in his ELC and then potentially a bridge deal, we'd be getting someone who is in his 4th year in the NHL already.

The price to pay will be hefty. Word has it that the Habs and Ducks have been in talks recently. And with Bergevin telling Chris Nilan last week that he'd like a young PMD, you associate that with Lindholm/Fowler. As for Theodore, I don't know much about him except he's been up and down between NHL and AHL a lot like Beaulieu was a few years ago. But is that due to his talent or their depth on the left?

I would also like to have Fowler. But Bob Murray confirmed earlier in the year that he's not on the market (we know that's not always an endorsement). He carries a smaller cap than Lindholm and is having a more productive year. But also, Lindholm with agent Claude Lemieux made negotiations difficult. He even missed part of training camp (and I could be wrong, but also the start of the year?). Usually players who do that or take teams to arbitration more often tend to be traded eventually. Which, to me,is another reason Lindholm is more available than Fowler.

That was my thought process as well. Before the season Fowler was the odd man out. Now, I'm not too sure...

I know thats too much money.... Hear me out though. It's only 1.5 million over what Okposo and Lucic signed for. I honestly foresee Drouin hitting 70 -75 points next year and he's really young. If we gave him a long contract into ufa years it'd make it better in the long run. It's also a way to acquire a dominating, game changing player without losing current or future assets.

Using that rationale is why we have a salary cap to begin with. Druin has ZERO proven track record of either guy you just mentioned and in the NHL, you get paid for past performance, not future projection anymore.

Druin will NEVER get anywhere near that and any GM who offered it to him would be fired and ridiculed before the contract could be drafted.

You're projection of Druin is the same for any other highly touted prospect. The only difference is that only 1 or 2 have actually produced to that level and they did it even earlier and are much better players. Druin is no McDavid. Even guys who did get those numbers like Hall never got that contract. Galchenyuk IS a ppg player now, no projecting necessary. Do you think he'll get $7.5M on his next contract, becasue he's not.

It's silly and never going to happen.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
That was my thought process as well. Before the season Fowler was the odd man out. Now, I'm not too sure...

Using that rationale is why we have a salary cap to begin with. Druin has ZERO proven track record of either guy you just mentioned and in the NHL, you get paid for past performance, not future projection anymore.

Druin will NEVER get anywhere near that and any GM who offered it to him would be fired and ridiculed before the contract could be drafted.

You're projection of Druin is the same for any other highly touted prospect. The only difference is that only 1 or 2 have actually produced to that level and they did it even earlier and are much better players. Druin is no McDavid. Even guys who did get those numbers like Hall never got that contract. Galchenyuk IS a ppg player now, no projecting necessary. Do you think he'll get $7.5M on his next contract, becasue he's not.

It's silly and never going to happen.

Well he's got 30 points in 41 games this year. For a full season he'd be on pace for 60. I wouldn't call him a prospect anymore either. This is his third year in the league and has clearly shown consistent progression in those seasons, both statistically and through his play. And no i don't. I'd sign Galchenyuk for less. I'm also not saying Drouin is better than Galchenyuk either. I said 7.5 was too much salary. Only giving up 3 picks for a player as young as Drouin and of his calibre would be a smart move and i feel worth over paying for.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

TO the OIL:
Price

To The HABS:

Draisaitl
Talbot
Klefblom

Calbot behind this team's defense? Yikes...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Well he's got 30 points in 41 games this year. For a full season he'd be on pace for 60. I wouldn't call him a prospect anymore either. This is his third year in the league and has clearly shown consistent progression in those seasons, both statistically and through his play. And no i don't. I'd sign Galchenyuk for less. I'm also not saying Drouin is better than Galchenyuk either. I said 7.5 was too much salary. Only giving up 3 picks for a player as young as Drouin and of his calibre would be a smart move and i feel worth over paying for.

So he projects to 60 points, is not as good as Chucky, has enough time in the league to have established himself but hasn't yet and you think the $7.5M you said we should pay for him is too much.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick but you're hardly making a convincing case as to why we should pay him that money especially while Chucky's contract is up at the same time. Just don't see it at all in any scenario.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

If you offer sheet Drouin you could give him $6.25 million or so and if you make it for 6 years the average works out to $7.5 million or so in terms of player compensation which is what I'd be okay with giving Drouin. You can look up RFA offer sheets to understand how this works.

I'd be willing to give Scherbak, 2017 1st and a 2017 2nd for Drouin. You're allowed to negotiate a deal instead of pushing through an offer sheet, which is the preferred way of operating.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Tony on 690, is debating onif they should trade for John T,

that would cost a mint,

MB will add for sure, but not to that degree.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
Tony on 690, is debating onif they should trade for John T,

that would cost a mint,

MB will add for sure, but not to that degree.

It would deplete the prospect pool, but...

Plekanec/Gallagher, McCarron, Sergachev, Sherback, and a 1st straight up for John Tavares

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If you offer sheet Drouin you could give him $6.25 million or so and if you make it for 6 years the average works out to $7.5 million or so in terms of player compensation which is what I'd be okay with giving Drouin. You can look up RFA offer sheets to understand how this works.

I'd be willing to give Scherbak, 2017 1st and a 2017 2nd for Drouin. You're allowed to negotiate a deal instead of pushing through an offer sheet, which is the preferred way of operating.

And who do we get rid of to pay for him? Chucky, Patches, Radulov??

Don't say Plex because most of his money is earmarked for Chucky and he's still under contract for next year.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
You have to think Drouin is going to be looking for a Barkov/McKinnon/Forsberg contract in the 6x6 range but I think Steve Y continues playing hardball and tries to force a bridge contract on him. Will Drouin really get more than Kucherov from Yzerman? I don't see it. Drouin has a history of doing what he wants so seeing him sign an offer sheet wouldn't shock me.

You have to overpay and force Tampa into a hard position... Drouin is worth way more than a late 1st, 2nd and 3rd so offersheeting him is a no brainer to me. But it's finding the lowest number that will get Drouin to leave Tampa while handcuffing Yzerman if he accepts and not breaking our own cap.

The hardest part financiallly is that Offersheets greater than 5 years take the total value of the contract divided by 5 to determine the draft pick compensation. So 6.5 over 7 will equate to 9.1 Million for compensation. Or 2 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd. So anything more than 6.5 over 7 years will quickly get us into 4 first round pick territory.

Is Drouin worth 7.5? No, but you will over to overpay to win an offer sheet. You have so much going against you from the start. If I was MB, and Drouin is still unsigned after this years draft I would start offering 5.5 to 6 million dollar deals. Maybe over 4 or 5 years. See if Drouin bites. It would probably mess with Kucherov a bit too if Yzerman matches an offer sheet over a million more per year than he's getting.

I think Galchenyuk gets 6x6 from us. I'd offer Drouin the same up to at least 6.5 million. Not because Drouin is worth more than Galchenyuk, but because it's what it would take.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

Don't say Plex because most of his money is earmarked for Chucky and he's still under contract for next year.

We can afford all of the above. Desharnais' salary will afford Galchenyuk's raise. Radulov isn't going to make significantly more than he is now, just getting term. Patches will get what, 2.5 to 3 million more per season? We have lots of cap available in the coming seasons.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It would deplete the prospect pool, but...

Plekanec/Gallagher, McCarron, Sergachev, Sherback, and a 1st straight up for John Tavares

I know it's Tavares, but he has one year left in his deal after this season. Nothing guarantees he's going to stick around Montreal after that. So I wouldn't give up my future (3 of my last 4 first round selections
+ another one, no less) for 1 year's worth of guaranteed service.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I know it's Tavares, but he has one year left in his deal after this one. Nothing guarantees he's going to stick around Montreal after that. So I wouldn't give up my future (3 of my last 4 first round selections no less) for 1 year's worth of guaranteed service.

UNLESS, you make the deal that IF he signs, or get the rights to talk to him before the trade,

but.....Snowball would want ton for him,

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
UNLESS, you make the deal that IF he signs, or get the rights to talk to him before the trade,

but.....Snowball would want ton for him,

You're right. You can definitely get NYI's permission to negotiate with Tavares before finalizing the trade. And if you do come to terms with him, then by all means do it. However, the fact I'm including Sergachev in the deal, the player I envision will be my future #1 defensemen, then I'll need someone else coming this way from the Isles' D-Corp. It won't need to be an impact player like Leddy, but someone lower on their totem pole but can come in Montreal and get the job done. De Haan is a name thrown around here a lot. I don't know much about him but it has to count for something a lot of folks would like to acquire him.

Jul 6, 2016
With only two teams out of the Playoffs race and 28 teams still in fair position to make them, I don't see much movement happening until more teams fall out a cliff.

With Markov, Patteryn, Galchenyuk and Gally back (and DD...:naughty:), Habs have a team to go quite far in the Playoffs, at least a Conference Finals.

Charb15

Jun 10, 2015
Sainte-Thérèse
why do we discuss moving Price, just don't understand,

Cause he'll take 13% of the salary cap (if 10M/year) and they could give that money on Galchenyuk, Radulov, futures UFA and RFA and others Free agent. Mtl could also have a good return for him and have good young players/prospects.

Price is getting older and is know to be "fragile". If Mtl don't go far in playoffs, they should trade him this summer (best value) or at the deadline while he still has a year in contract.

Jul 6, 2016
Cause he'll take 13% of the salary cap (if 10M/year) and they could give that money on Galchenyuk, Radulov, futures UFA and RFA and others Free agent. Mtl could also have a good return for him and have good young players/prospects.

Price is getting older and is know to be "fragile". If Mtl don't go far in playoffs, they should trade him this summer (best value) or at the deadline while he still has a year in contract.

Yeah. Let's make another Patrick Roy mistake !!!!

:shakehead

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

There are plenty of options. As someone mentioned, DD's $3.5M will be off the books and that can go to Chucky, then Pleks $6M can go to Tavarez after next year. Still need more cap? We could not re-sign Markov and replace him with Sergachev if he's ready. We could also deal Gallagher and replace him with Ghetto/Carr. Both of those moves would be downgrades, but I'd do it for Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad