Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Gearing Up for the Off-season Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Bergevin said that trading up is hard, I don't expect him to do it.

Honestly i don't expect many trades this summer. Maybe he'll get rid of Schlemko. Sign or acquire a depth dman. He might extend Patch. Maybe claim a forward on waiver at the beginning of the season. I don't expect much more than that.

He believes in this team. He is a stubborn guy.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The new rule is you can negotiate with UFAs a week before July 1, isn’t it? The only advantage buying JT’s rights gives is you can give him 8 years instead of 7. I don’t think that will be the factor that makes him choose one team over another.

No, not allowed. 8 years is only an option for the Islanders, trade or no trade.

Unclewhalebone

Aug 28, 2009
Honestly i don't expect many trades this summer. Maybe he'll get rid of Schlemko. Sign or acquire a depth dman. He might extend Patch. Maybe claim a forward on waiver at the beginning of the season. I don't expect much more than that.

Take out the "..extend Patch" part and this isn't bad in an "I can think of lots of worse outcomes" kind of way.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

Get rid of the saviour Schlemko? Haha

I think you’re right other than I assume Max is gonzo. He wants out and Bargain Bin wants a Center, I think. I expect the Bin man will be dealing at the draft, and once again I expect we will be disappointed in the results of his big trade.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
My guess if we sign JT for more money than we should we will keep pac.

If not we will trade him. Problem is that well lose an opportunity to do it prior to the draft, thus getting another 1st.

With the 5% we have to sign JT i wish it wont become another july with tons of cap space because we were all in in one player with no plan B (which is rebuild)

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017

Patch was pleading with Marc Bergevin not to trade him because he just built a spanking new mansion in Montreal and his three young kids just love it here. His youngest, Max Jr even wore a Habs jersey to school a week ago. My bet is that the Habs will trade for a true No. 1 center (J. Toews perhaps) or sign John Tavares for $14M per for seven seasons and then extend Patch's contract $6.5M for eight seasons.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
My guess if we sign JT for more money than we should we will keep pac.

If not we will trade him. Problem is that well lose an opportunity to do it prior to the draft, thus getting another 1st.

With the 5% we have to sign JT i wish it wont become another july with tons of cap space because we were all in in one player with no plan B (which is rebuild)

It's quite evident to me now that there is no plan. It's just year to year...not addressing key gaps in our lineup...then one day we'll probably eventually draft a good enough C to play, but our goaltending will be probably be problematic at the time. And round and round we go...

I think MB has defined what he values in a player and that's fine, but he said he doesn't believe in windows to win - whether you believe what he says or not - his inactivity addressing lack of scoring depth, as well as any type of C's to speak of pretty much speaks volumes.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
No, not allowed. 8 years is only an option for the Islanders, trade or no trade.
Since only the Isles can sign (re-sign) Tavares for eight years; another team can sign him for only seven years, that team might have to give him a higher annual salary. Example: Let's say the Isles offered him $12M at 8 years = $96M total. Montreal could offer him $14M at 7 years = $98M total. Of course, due to the wide discrepancy in income taxes between NY State and Quebec, the Habs would have to gross up its offer to say $15M at 7 years and still, Tavares would likely have more take home pay living in Long Island.

The thing is: Isles GM Garth Snow did practically nothing to improve the team before the trade deadline and Isles' fans have purchased overhead billboards that say "SNOW MUST GO!" Tavares might just bolt and mostly likely sign big dollars with a US team with a low income tax structure like the Dallas Stars.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'd 100% be willing to trade for Tavares's rights to negotiate, so long as he expresses some degree of interest with us (ie don't go in dark, without know if he's even remotely interested).

Not sure what that would cost. But if Isles are told he 100% isn't resigning there - and if we could trade for his rights for a 2nd round pick (even a high one) i'd be willing to do it. Try to sign him before July 1st.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd 100% be willing to trade for Tavares's rights to negotiate, so long as he expresses some degree of interest with us (ie don't go in dark, without know if he's even remotely interested).

Not sure what that would cost. But if Isles are told he 100% isn't resigning there - and if we could trade for his rights for a 2nd round pick (even a high one) i'd be willing to do it. Try to sign him before July 1st.

I hate the idea of trading an asset(s) for the privilege of adding an extra year to what's already going to be a monster contract. Might give you a small advantage but still sucks in theory.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I think if they sign Tavares (not going to happen folks), then they have to trade Pacioretty. They won't be able to afford him and they'll need to supplement on the wings with youth.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

I can see MB trading Chucky to do this.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I hate the idea of trading an asset(s) for the privilege of adding an extra year to what's already going to be a monster contract. Might give you a small advantage but still sucks in theory.

Well no. I could care less about the 7 vs 8 years. He won't be that good in 8 years for us to care. JT himself might prefer 8 years to 7.

It's more about giving us an exclusive window of negotiations before other teams can. It's a risk because JT may still want to test the market no matter what - but i'd be willing to take it if it increases our odds.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I agree with you 100%...but I'm trying to think like MB would. I can see it.

MB has never been one to sell our assets low though. He has a lot of faults but this isn't one of them. If anything he's too conservative and is usually gunshy about making such trades.

I can't see him sacrificing Galchyenyuk like that

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Other than trading Patch at the draft and inquiring to see if Tavares would sign with the Habs, I hope we stay patient. Turning our team into a playoff contender will require a trade and signing UFA players to contracts you likely regret.

Our slogan and message from the fan base for next year should be.... LET THE KIDS PLAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad