Trade Proposal. Red Wings vs Islanders

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What am i supposed to do with a 10th and 12th overall pick on a team that needs elite talent?

Do you think you're going to get elite at 6? But not 10?
For example - the following 5 guys went 10-15 in a mock draft on HF
Evan Bouchard, Quinn Hughes, Isac Lundestrom, Barrety Hayton, Bode Wilde, Joel Farabee.

The guys who went 6-9, for example are:
Dobson, SMith, Walstrom
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-7-round-mock-draft-2-0.2456591/

So in this case you could pick Hughes and Bouchard and double your chances that one of those guys hits big.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
10th and 12th overall pick just gives the Wings more mediocre teams.

I don't understand your rationale.
Do you think the guy you draft at 6 is much likelier to be a star than the guy you draft at 10?

I think the guy you draft at 12 is much likelier to be a star than the guy you draft at 23.

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Say the Red Wings draft 6th.
And the Vegas pick is a 23rd.

Would you traded 6th + 23rd
for
the Islanders 10th and 12th (estimates)

Interesting proposition. I think it all comes down to the depth in that top 12. If you think you can grab 2 top D-men, or 1 top forward and 1 top D-man, I think I would do it.

I dont know enough about the prospects to really give a strong opinion though.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
10th and 12th overall pick just gives the Wings more mediocre teams.

I'll take my chances with the 6th overall pick.

Depends on the players, its not as simple as where someone is picked. Its not as if #6 = elite while #10 = mediocre.

Hopefully we pick #1 and this is a moot point.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Good thread idea, Redder.

I'm gonna say no, solely because I love the top 9 prospects in this draft. But we could get 2 really good players with both those picks. For reference Owen Tippett and Martin Necas were last years 10 and 12, I'd take both of them.

I don't think either team does it tbh.

Edit: Shit, wasn't Charlie McAvoy around there too?

Good players are to be had in that range.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I don't understand your rationale.
Do you think the guy you draft at 6 is much likelier to be a star than the guy you draft at 10?

I think the guy you draft at 12 is much likelier to be a star than the guy you draft at 23.

I want nothing to do with 10-12th overall picks. They are literally worthless to this organization.

6th overall probably isn't enough either, but i don't expect the Wings to get anywhere until they start to draft in the bottom three.

Reactions: TheMule93

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wouldn't do that trade.

Keep the 6th and wait something good to slide on the 23rd.

It depends of the draft, and this is so deep. Some other year the deal could be possible.

Usually you have to pay more of that raise from 10th --> 6th, than the proposed deal. Lower rounds involved.

Reactions: Winger98

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I wouldn't do that trade.

Keep the 6th and wait something good to slide on the 23rd.

It depends of the draft, and this is so deep. Some other year the deal could be possible.

Usually you have to pay more of that raise from 10th --> 6th, than the proposed deal. Lower rounds involved.

Exactly, it all depends on who's available.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Ty Smith could be there at 10. But I don’t like the guys at 12 that much more than 23 so I’d probably keep my 6th overall pick and get the guy I like the most out of hughes, Bouchard, wahlstrom, Dobson.

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
I would absolutely do it, you get whoever is left of the boquist/Hughes/bouchard/dobson/smith and then if something from the top 10 you get them or you get lundstrom or hayton or wilde. Staying in the group of 10 is definitely worth it

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Can anybody dig up Frk It's data for average production by draft slot? The math might help us form a more educated opinion.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Detroit has plenty of middle tier talent. They'd be farther ahead to try to use Vegas pick to move up, which probably wont happen.

They should be picking as high as they possibly can.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can anybody dig up Frk It's data for average production by draft slot? The math might help us form a more educated opinion.

Most of the data I have posted is from here: BLUE BULLET REPORT

But it’s hard to benchmark this trade because they lump all 8-15 picks together.

Personally I’d prefer to keep our first pick as high as possible, then maybe try to trade up from the later first rounder. Or maybe package some of those 3rds for an extra 2nd.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Say the Red Wings draft 6th.
And the Vegas pick is a 23rd.

Would you traded 6th + 23rd
for
the Islanders 10th and 12th (estimates)

An interesting idea for sure but I would not do it. It is very likely that Hughes, Dobson and Bouchard get picked between 6-9. There will be some good forwards available at 10 and 12 (Veleno is not one of them he is likely going to fall in the draft for good reason). Detroit needs defensmen badly and this is the perfect chance to get a blue chip one

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Good thread idea, Redder.

I'm gonna say no, solely because I love the top 9 prospects in this draft. But we could get 2 really good players with both those picks. For reference Owen Tippett and Martin Necas were last years 10 and 12, I'd take both of them.

I don't think either team does it tbh.

Edit: ****, wasn't Charlie McAvoy around there too?

Good players are to be had in that range.

Yah because Detroit was too stupid to take Necas like they should have. They thought it was 1990 and focused on size and character instead of speed and skill like they should have.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
An interesting idea for sure but I would not do it. It is very likely that Hughes, Dobson and Bouchard get picked between 6-9. There will be some good forwards available at 10 and 12 (Veleno is not one of them he is likely going to fall in the draft for good reason). Detroit needs defensmen badly and this is the perfect chance to get a blue chip one

I look at a guy like Bode Wilde, who, next to Dahlin, probably has the most complete package in the draft among defensemen.

If you get Wilde and Veleno - that's potentially a pretty nice win.
Or maybe Ty Smith is the guy with Veleno. Or Kotkaniemi instead of Veleno.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I look at a guy like Bode Wilde, who, next to Dahlin, probably has the most complete package in the draft among defensemen.

If you get Wilde and Veleno - that's potentially a pretty nice win.
Or maybe Ty Smith is the guy with Veleno. Or Kotkaniemi instead of Veleno.

That isn't true at all. Dobson is the most complete package other than Dahlin. Bode has a lot of developing to do. As for Veleno do we really need another 2nd or more likely 3rd line center??? I would much rather have Dobson and then someone around Vegas' pick then Bode and Veleno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->