Speculation: Trade Likelihood and Value

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Assume Holland stays on until at least the end of the year.
Here's the likelihood people might be traded.
Zetterberg - Won't be moved unless he demands to be moved. And by the way, his value is sinking on a daily basis.
Nyquist - Could bring back a late first or a second + more. Could get packaged with something (Ouellet/Athanasiou) for a prospect defenseman). But Nyquist is like Zetterberg's nephew. Holland might not want to risk Zetterberg just saying, "you know what? I retire" without making up LTIR excuses. So I'm not sure Nyquist is moved this year. Far more likely he moves next year.
Tatar - Year one of a five year deal. Seems unlikely he'd be moved.
Abdelkader - Even if you could find anyone to take the deal, Holland wouldn't trade him.
Helm - He got married to Holland's neighbor, which makes him a member of the board at the country club. I doubt anyone would take him, but I doubt Holland even tries to sell him.
Nielsen - On pace for 31 points. Has what? 4 more years at $5M? Playing the lowest icetime of his career (since becoming a regular). Whatever value he might have had is gone.
Larkin - Won't be traded.
Mantha - Not as much as a lock as Larkin, but close.
Athanasiou - Could be moved - though he's slumping now too since being put on the 11/7 regimen. He won't fetch a ton on his own unless he gets hot. Packaged with a D, maybe he could bring a D back. He's clearly not value at the same level as Mantha, let alone Larkin.
Glendening - Another one of the Michigan-core boys, seems unlikely he'd be moved. Also seems unlikely he'd be coveted. Wouldn't get much back for him.
Wilson - Maybe traded for a 7th.
Witkowski - Could get moved for a late pick.
Dekeyser - See Abdelkader/Glendening. Though I think he'd actually have a little bit of trade value, relative to the other guys.
Daley - Could be a good trade and might have value if the cap goes up. Does Holland have the balls to trade someone he just signed? Could probably get a 2nd round pick for him.
Green - If you can burn all evidence of the last two games, you might still get a first round pick for him. But I have a feeling this deadline deal might go the Vanek route and leave us disappointed with the return.
Ouellet - Nobody will want him.
Jensen - Just awful. Nobody is going to want this guy.
Kronwall - Again, this guy is like Z's bro. Do you risk pissing off the captain and watching him go back to Sweden without working with you on your cap penalties? Kronwall could be a decent acquisition for a team looking for veteran, experienced D who has been there before.
Howard - Subtract the opening three games and Howard's sv percentage is below 900. Nobody is taking him unless he turns it around.
Mrazek - Somebody might risk it on Mrazek, even though his numbers are awful. My guess is Holland tries to trade Mrazek.

Bottom line, expect Holland to shop the following guys.
Green, Mrazek, Wilson, Witkowski and maybe Athanasiou and Nyquist.

The only guy I think is a lock to move is Green. I don't expect more than a 2nd at this point.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I don’t see holland trading anyone of note except nyquist/Tatar. And it seems pretty unlikely now since we should have since like 2013

Maybe AA cause of attitude but he probably won’t be around when/if the trade with him happens

Edit: forgot green since we likely won’t be anywhere near the playoffs at the tdl. He’s likely gone

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Green, Nyquist, and AA are all realistic trade candidates. If Nyquist wasn't "Zetterbergs nephew" (lol, too true) he'd be 100% gone.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's a very delicate balance. Trade a player too soon, and you risk ending a window of contention prematurely. Trade them too late, and they've lost much of their value.

I'd bank on Green getting a late 1st, and maybe a scrap or two of a deal with depth guys, but I'd be very surprised if Holland actually deals a Nyquist, let alone a Kronwall.

2-3 years ago was the time to get something for a handful of these players, but Streaky Streak said no. As Wings fans bask in the afterglow of those glorious final few playoff annihilations.

Reactions: avssuc

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Teams would want Larkin, Mantha, AA, Green — that is all. All other players (and combinations of contracts) are just terrible for any team to touch as a rental.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Massive trade: wings trade Wilson to buffalo. Hopefully means someone comes up

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Not sure Mantha is going to sign here when it's time to sign...
I look for Mantha, AA, and Pete to all leave as soon as they can. Not only has the coach called them out so has the higher ups. Till Kenny is gone we suck, On that note there was a rumor of Kenny going to the leafs in the off season!!! God I hope so.

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
I look for Mantha, AA, and Pete to all leave as soon as they can. Not only has the coach called them out so has the higher ups. Till Kenny is gone we suck, On that note there was a rumor of Kenny going to the leafs in the off season!!! God I hope so.

Mantha literally said a few weeks ago he wants to stay here long term. AA could have requested a trade during his holdout but he didn't. Mrazek i could see wanting to move on, though.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Mantha literally said a few weeks ago he wants to stay here long term. AA could have requested a trade during his holdout but he didn't. Mrazek i could see wanting to move on, though.

That means almost nothing. He'd be a fool to say anything else at this point.

Reactions: 21 Savage

TheMule93

May 26, 2015
Ontario
That means almost nothing. He'd be a fool to say anything else at this point.

he also said in another interview that growing up he always wanted to play (at some point) where his grandpa played (Detroit).

What evidence do you have to suggest that he wants out?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The three main kids will only want out if

a) they continue to be singled out unlike veterans

b) they are not handed rhe reigns of the team publicly through concrete and sustained actions

c) the rebuild in intentionally delayed

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
he also said in another interview that growing up he always wanted to play (at some point) where his grandpa played (Detroit).

What evidence do you have to suggest that he wants out?

None. I just know how propaganda works with corporations attempting to sell a product. Plus, no good agent would let him say anything different.

For me, I know I know what I like. I like to be a part of a functional group. The Wings are anything but at the moment. No idea what Tony wants for sure, just giving my 2 cents.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
To be fair your 2 cents are always painting the picture with the most negative brush.

As far as Mantha goes, all we have is reports that he wants to be a wing and iirc Mickey talking about him and Larkin speaking in long terms with each other during broadccasts. Now I'm not going to say he wants to be here his entire career, but at this point I don't have a reason to believe he doesn't. We own his rights for 4 more years and it's not worth speculating until he gets his RFA contract.

As much as I'd love Yzerman, I'm tempering my expectations by saying GM Ryan Martin to myself over and over.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
To be fair your 2 cents are always painting the picture with the most negative brush.

As far as Mantha goes, all we have is reports that he wants to be a wing and iirc Mickey talking about him and Larkin speaking in long terms with each other during broadccasts. Now I'm not going to say he wants to be here his entire career, but at this point I don't have a reason to believe he doesn't. We own his rights for 4 more years and it's not worth speculating until he gets his RFA contract.

As much as I'd love Yzerman, I'm tempering my expectations by saying GM Ryan Martin to myself over and over.

I see that you're pretty invested in 'dude' with the avatar and catch phrase, so I won't take too much offence to your misrepresentation of my content.

I could cite any number of players that said they loved the history and wanted to be on _______ team for the rest of their days, but I'm not sure the fan club wants to hear it.

Reality is harsh, so is the NHL... sorry to hear that you brand my hesitation as negativity.
Screenshot_20171204-204142.jpg

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I see that you're pretty invested in 'dude' with the avatar and catch phrase, so I won't take too much offence to your misrepresentation of my content.

I could cite any number of players that said they loved the history and wanted to be on _______ team for the rest of their days, but I'm not sure the fan club wants to hear it.

Reality is harsh, so is the NHL... sorry to hear that you brand my hesitation as negativity. View attachment 86439

I wouldn't put too much stock in my avatar, as most of the AA thread I had AA as my avatar with a lame little catch phrase.
I brand your constant negativity as negativity.
To be fair, you were acting like the Wings were a playoff team two weeks ago.
:laugh: was I really? Pretty sure I've been adamant about this team finishing around where they finished last year, but go ahead and make up a narrative.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
They should focus on making Green look as attractive as possible for the deadline. More offensive freedom, more points...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They should focus on making Green look as attractive as possible for the deadline. More offensive freedom, more points...

I think they have. I know he struggles to skate but there is a reason Mike Green is playing a lot with Kronwall in my opinion. It is because Kronwall is the only D-man that can go tape to tape with him and help speed the game up and show off Mike Green's best traits. Also given Kronwall's knee, it shows off Mike Green is a little better defensively. In any event if we want to keep his value up, keep him away from DeKeyser is probably our best bet.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Would the Wings be interested in a deal around Ceci + Dzingel for Nyqvist/Tatar + Green? Something like that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->