Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I've solved all our problems (from the main board):

Brodin + Zucker + Ennis + 3rd to NYI for Bailey + 2nd

Bailey convinces his good friend John to sign here, as Zucker + Ennis opens up ~$10 million

Nino - Tavares ($10.5M) - Bailey
Parise - Staal - Granlund
Greenway - Koivu - Coyle
Foligno - Eriksson Ek - whoever
Whoever

Suter - Dumba
Seeler - Spurgeon
Olofsson - Prosser
Whoever

Dubnyk
Stalock

$79.5M cap hit (give or take $500k either way)

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
The tricky part will be convincing Tavares and his agent that we're in both the past when he'd take that money, and in the future where he's eligible to sign elsewhere.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't see Kane's contract is having much of an effect on Zucker's contract. He's a tier above Zucker and plays a completely different game. Kane also put up his career numbers on garbage teams (Jets/Sabres), Zucker has been on Playoff teams his entire career. Plus Kane is a factor in the Playoffs (4g in 9 games), Zucker (4g in 31 games) isn't.

Injuries are the concern with Kane, but SJS really did need to do everything they could to keep him. It'll be a bad contract in 4 years is my guess.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't see Kane's contract is having much of an effect on Zucker's contract. He's a tier above Zucker and plays a completely different game. Kane also put up his career numbers on garbage teams (Jets/Sabres), Zucker has been on Playoff teams his entire career. Plus Kane is a factor in the Playoffs (4g in 9 games), Zucker (4g in 31 games) isn't.

Injuries are the concern with Kane, but SJS really did need to do everything they could to keep him. It'll be a bad contract in 4 years is my guess.
Kane is nowhere near the player that Zucker is. Still doesn't mean that Zucker is going to get $7M though.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kane is nowhere near the player that Zucker is. Still doesn't mean that Zucker is going to get $7M though.

I don't know, I'm a big Zucker guy, but Kane has paced 20+ goals for the last years (actually scoring 20+ for 4 of them), and has paced 30+ goals each of the last 2.

I actually don't think that Kane's contract is that outrageous. Amount isn't that far off, and only probably a year too long.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't know, I'm a big Zucker guy, but Kane has paced 20+ goals for the last years (actually scoring 20+ for 4 of them), and has paced 30+ goals each of the last 2.

I actually don't think that Kane's contract is that outrageous. Amount isn't that far off, and only probably a year too long.
I think San Jose is taking a little risk in hoping that Kane continues to be the player they've seen since they acquired him. If he can do that I don't think the contract is awful, at least not relative to other UFA contracts. The fact that it also costs them a 1st instead of a 2nd does rub a little salt in the wound, but it isn't exactly a high 1st.

San Jose does seem to be a better environment for him than Buffalo or Winnipeg were, so I wouldn't be totally shocked to see this work out alright for the Sharks. They'll probably regret it less than whoever ends up signing JVR.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Zucker is a 1 trick pony with his speed. Kane is better at everything else, and only slightly slower than Zucker.
Yea, not sure where people are getting the idea that Zucker is some amazing player. He has one thing that's good, speed. It's also the first thing to go as a player gets older.

I'd take Kane over Zucker any day.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's all relative.

If Zucker signs for $28.5 million over 6 years (or something like that), then I'll definitely take him over Kane at the $49 million.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Not a fan of this. Bailey has never scored more than 20 goals in a season, and just had his career year at 28. Doesn't hurt that Barzal tore it up. Just no...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Bailey convinces his good friend John to sign here, as Zucker + Ennis opens up ~$10 million

Nino - Tavares ($10.5M) - Bailey
Parise - Staal - Granlund
Greenway - Koivu - Coyle
Foligno - Eriksson Ek - whoever
Whoever

Suter - Dumba
Seeler - Spurgeon
Olofsson - Prosser
Whoever

Dubnyk
Stalock

$79.5M cap hit (give or take $500k either way)
For that price, we should also get Tavares's rights, so we could seal up this before he goes to free agency.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Zucker is a 1 trick pony with his speed. Kane is better at everything else, and only slightly slower than Zucker.
so zucker doesnt play 2 way hockey? with the loss of haula who else provides any real speed? we need more speed not less. mgmt has not found the perfect complimentary player for zucker yet. trade zucker to the hawks and watch him score 40G next to kaner

Last edited:

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
so zucker doesnt play 2 way hockey? with the loss of haula who else provides any real speed? we need more speed not less. mgmt has not found the perfect complimentary player for zucker yet. trade zucker to the hawks and watch him score 40G next to kaner

I'd like to keep Zucker but that seems like the ideal reason to trade a player-- another team perceives higher value than this team is capable of managing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I think Granlund has done a pretty darn good job at doing that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think Granlund has done a pretty darn good job at doing that.
He has, though Granlund is close to the point where he's the ideal complimentary player to wheover he's playing with that night.

I also think that Zucker did a better job of using his linemates last season than he has in the past. He still sort of "plays on an island," but that's going to happen with speedy, shoot-first players and I think he has gotten better at recognizing when passing/keeping possession is the better option.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yea, not sure where people are getting the idea that Zucker is some amazing player. He has one thing that's good, speed.
You seem to take shooting, scoring, and forechecking for granted. Scoring goals is one of the most, if not the most, desired characteristics in hockey.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Hey guys, Habs fan coming in peace. As you know, the Canadiens are looking for help down the middle, and need to reset the roster a bit. Pacioretty has been talked about a lot and I think it's fair to say it may be time to move on from him. He's a great LW, great speed, great shot, very good PKer, etc. He doesn't drive play on his own, but he's a great finisher, and I think he'd be a nice fit in Minny.

Assuming Fenton would be able to talk to the Pacioretty camp and find out they're got a good shot at re-signing/extended him...what do you think about Pacioretty for Charlie Coyle + your 2018 1st?

I've heard speculation that Minny was disappointed with Coyle, especially his play in the playoffs, but also with the recent revelations about the injuries he played through I don't know where that stands. But it does seem like Minny is ready to shake things up at least a little and move on from one of Coyle, Granlund, Nino.

The 1st is obviously a later round pick but is important to the Habs. Again, they need to reset, and build through the draft and I think there would be a decent player there at that spot.

A couple of questions:
- do you have interest in Max?
- do you think the return is fair?
- do you still see Coyle getting better, or has he plateaued and you're quite sure he's a middle 6 C/RW?
- is he more effective as a RW or C?
- does he play with a lot of energy?
- is he responsible defensively?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
hey video coach, im disappointed in coyle , the reason being he has the skill & tools we just dont see it every night. when he goes into beast mode hes great but many nights hes invisible. on the right team i think he should score 20-25G. if he was in boston i think he'd light it up thats why im sooooo frustrated with him. he really reminds me of latendress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad